Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Who's Q1 Promotion is Better, Hilton or Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold

Here is what Hilton is offering for Q1:

Hilton HHonors free night promotion that begins with check-ins on Thursday, January 7 and check-outs through March 31. Earn a free night for every 4 stays or 10 nights at a Hilton brand hotel. Maximum of 3 free nights may be earned with this promotion after 12 stays or 30 nights.

Advance advertising in Delta Skymiles magazine states the free night is good for any hotel brand including Waldorf-Astoria Collection and for any night of the week.

Hilton can use a first rate offer in the face of the likely outcry coming January 15 when we learn the extent of the HHonors hotel category changes for 2010. The changes have still not been released to HHonors members.

This promotion is good incentive for Hilton stays during the first quarter of 2010. This free nights promotion is a good talking point diversion from the soon to be 50,000 points free night reward for the new HHonors Category 7 hotels.

On the other Hand, Marriott has their Q1 promotion, Megabonus:

1-Earn 25,000 MegaBonus points when you stay a total of 15 paid nights, plus an additional 15,000 MegaBonus points when you stay a total of 20 paid nights

2- Earn 35,000 MegaBonus points when you stay a total of 20 paid nights, plus an additional 25,000 MegaBonus points when you stay a total of 30 paid nights

3-Earn 5,000 MegaBonus points with every other paid stay, starting with your second stay - up to a maximum of 25,000 points.

There is no payment method attached to this promotion, so you can use any credit card to pay for the room.

In my opinion, I think the Hilton Promotion is better. I would rather have the Free Nights myself than a lot of points.

What are your thoughts?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
In my opinion, I think the Hilton Promotion is better. I would rather have the Free Nights myself than a lot of points.

What are your thoughts?
With a lot of points you can get a free night (at cat 5) or 2-3 nights at a lower category hotel, so not sure I understand the Free Night vs. points comment.

Points don't expire, free nights probably do.

Depends on how many nights.

With Hilton, 30 nights = 3 free nights.

With Marriott 30 nights = 60K which is either 2 Car 6 nights up to 5 nights at a category 3.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rthib
With Hilton, 30 nights = 3 free nights.

With Marriott 30 nights = 60K which is either 2 Car 6 nights up to 5 nights at a category 3.
I prefer to use my awards/points for top-of-the-line properties.

Under that assumption, I get two free nights with Marriott (30K/night) or three with Hilton. I therefore an choosing Hilton.

However, if I had no plans to use those three nights in the next year, I would choose the Marriott option.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I also prefer Top Line Properties

Since Waldorf Astoria is included in the Hilton promotion, I give this round to Hilton. I will take less nights at a higher category hotel every time. Waldorf Astoria is right up there with top line properties.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, AA EXP
Why not do both, there is plenty of time! That is what I am doing.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by funtotravel
Why not do both, there is plenty of time! That is what I am doing.
Agreed. the promos aren't offered during the exact same time period.

as you stated above the Hilton Have A Night On Us runs from January 7 and through March 31st...

While Marriott Rewards® MegaBonus runs from February 1 through April 30, 2010... (also Marriott has often let members switch variations of their promo from the one that they were officially targeted for...)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Agreed. Do Both

I agree. I will do both and try to get the max out of Hilton before I am done with them. Then I will concentrate on Marriott though I don't know if I can hit their highest level with so many nights going to Marriott.

I like the idea and Love It When the hotels stagger the promotion dates.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
I'm staying at Hilton's this month and then Marriotts in Feb and March. The problem is my current company gets crap rates at Marriotts and preferred rates at Hilton. I'm half-tempted to use my old company's corporate rate when I stay at Marriotts.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Hyatt's.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm doing both - MR gave me every other stay gets 5,000 points with a max of 25,000. I figure I can knock out three free nights at Hilton promo and 25,000 MR points by May no problem.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
I generally use my points at a Cat 2 property, so the Marriott promotion is worth 6 free nights (60K points) for 30 nights.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM; AA Gold; Marriott PP & LT PL; HH Diamond; SPG PL and many more
Additional option?

I am currently spreading my nights, Starwood quadruple points promotion right now, Megabonus upcoming as discussed (25 nights, 50K bonus points). IMO, the downside is that the Hilton certificates expire.

I am counting on some other creative promotion from HH this year convince me to spend the necessary 60 nights
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:53 pm
rln

Its promotions - large and small - which essentially counterpoint those folks who complain about "devaluation" in benefits.

Tomorrow night - and over the course of the next several months - I will be using hundred dollar bonus bucks on a succession of two night stays. Many of these nights coincide with the mega bonus and weekend break rates. The thousand dollars in bonus bucks, essentially, translate into 15,000 free points along with platinum check in points and the fifty percent bonus on revenue spent.

On January 1, I stayed at a full service Renaissance which, for $149, not only gave me credit for $20 against food/beverages, but also gave me 5,000 bonus points on top of the platinum 500 point bonus. Needless to say, I've scheduled several more nights for this special bonus. And, my, how the points add up.

I assume that, in bonus points alone, I earn enough to get well over a week at a level 6 or 7 property. Give up these promotions, and I'm sure that Marriott and other companies would be happy to roll back exchange levels. I enjoy the promotions. At the end of the day, at least so far, I believe that all things more than balance out.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 8:27 pm

Since Hilton works on stays and not just nights, I guess one can check in and out each night if there are two different Hilton hotels nearby. This will easily fullfill the 4 stay requirements and max out the Hilton earnings. Then switch over to the Marriott promotion.

Depends on how much trouble one wants to go thru to earn freebies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.