Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Newark Airport questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Newark Airport questions

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by rcherskov
Grabbed it on Priceline for $48 early May, will also report.
So when using priceline, do you get ANY credits to your MR account?

Stays?

nights?
Old May 4, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
No to both .... the prices are pretty low at the hotel right now.
Old May 14, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by rcherskov
Grabbed it on Priceline for $48 early May, will also report.
Really enjoyed my short stay. The room was remodeled, the staff was friendly and the shuttle to EWR ran every 20 minutes on the dot. There doesnt appear to be much around the hotel, though, so dining options are limited to the hotel a and the airport itself.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I had a one night stay.

The gym looks very nice...a bunch of treadmills with TVs and some other equipment in there. A pretty large indoor pool.

I had a nice junior suite that overlooked the UPS terminal. Not quite the airport action I would have wanted, but the room was fresh, clean and comfortable. The only downside was the bathroom. It 'feels' small and the bathtub had a bunch of caulk around the drain.

The CL was not open (still being remodeled) so I was given 1 coupon for a 'special appetizer' in the bar/restaurant and 1 coupon for breakfast in the morning. I ordered off the bar menu so did not see the full menu. Prices are a little high, but nothing outrageous for an airport hotel. Quality was fine.

There is a shuttle that runs to the P4 stop for the AirTrain. The shuttle does not/will not take you anywhere else (I don't think something like the North Elizabeth stop for NJ Transit is out of line). Shuttle runs every 20 minutes from the hotel to P4.

Overall, I would stay there again. As a plat, I felt like they were happy to have me.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:35 am

CY Elizabeth or Ren Airport?

Any additional updates?
Which property is better, CY Elizabeth or REN Airport?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP,Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Starbucks Gold card
I personally like the CY Elizabeth. It's right across from the RI Elizabeth. Both properties are a cross the street from the Jersey Gardens Mall. If you don't mind public transportation, there is an express bus from the mall to the Port Authority in New York. I believe first is at 1000-ish and last one back is around midnight.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I have had good stays here and at the Marriott... Both properties have renovated rooms. I've had nothing but positive customer service experiences at the two properties-- something I can't say for the rest of the EWR airport area hotels & restaurants.

I choose the Marriott because of location unless its rates are significantly higher than the Renaissance.

As Manhattan hotel rates keep climbing, I find myself staying more and more frequently at EWR on the final night of my trip (before a morning flight) or on the first night (if I arrive in the evening) to save $$$.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:12 pm

Thanks for the replies
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Staying at the Renaissance EWR again tonight. I was looking at my reservation online and noticed that I was given a room on the Concierge floor (with Concierge lounge access). However, the lounge is still being renovated and they are still giving coupons at check-in for a dinner appetizer and free breakfast.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:39 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Update:
...CL is still being remodeled; received coupons for evening app/drinks and breakfast.
...Received upgrade to a junior suite. Furnished quite nicely; but A/C blows directly on the desk - and as it seemed rather weak, it had to run all the time. Very annoying, and I am pretty easy to please on this kind of stuff.
...Staff is very friendly and service was outstanding. (w/ 1 exception)
...Room service: quality good, service excellent, delivered exactly as ordered.
...Workout room - nice and well supplied w/ equipment.
...Flat screen TV and work panel on desk.

The hotel still has a little bit of a "old" feel - walls/doors etc are beat up; halls are narrow, ceilings are low. It will be interesting to see how they work with this as the renovation progresses.

Above and beyond service: When checking in, my key did not work. I used the floor phone to call downstairs, and ask that a new one be brought to me. I did not realize that a silent alarm had gone off, shutting down the elevators. The front desk employee walked up (and back down) 9 flights of stairs to bring me the key.

I think this hotel will be an asset to the area once the kinks are worked out, and I would certainly stay here again.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne

I choose the Marriott because of location unless its rates are significantly higher than the Renaissance.

As Manhattan hotel rates keep climbing, I find myself staying more and more frequently at EWR on the final night of my trip (before a morning flight) or on the first night (if I arrive in the evening) to save $$$.
Coincidentally I have tried similar strategy as well for most big cities with high hotel rates. I yet have to try it here though. Thanks for the heads-up about MR EWR. By the way, can you confirm if they have a airport shuttle? DO you know if the CL is open on weekend? TIA.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by allset2travel
.....about MR EWR. By the way, can you confirm if they have a airport shuttle? DO you know if the CL is open on weekend? TIA.

Both the Ren and the FS have a shuttle. The FS picks up directly outside the terminal (only hotel allowed to do so) the Ren and all others (CY, FI, SHS) picks up at one of the tram stops.

The CL at the Ren is not yet open. The CL at the FS was not open on weekends when last I stayed there last.

FYI - although it does not have a CL, IMO the CY in Jersey City is closer to NYC and offers better public access to the city.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sophiegirl

Both the Ren and the FS have a shuttle. The FS picks up directly outside the terminal (only hotel allowed to do so) the Ren and all others (CY, FI, SHS) picks up at one of the tram stops.

The CL at the Ren is not yet open. The CL at the FS was not open on weekends when last I stayed there last.

FYI - although it does not have a CL, IMO the CY in Jersey City is closer to NYC and offers better public access to the city.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Might stay up here in a couple weeks for a little pre-cruise reconnaissance....anyone been here lately?? on a weekend???? if so, did they give you breakfast???

any new updates would be appreciated! TIA
Old Jan 1, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Had to fly out of EWR, so we stayed at the REN Newark both on the outbound and return legs.
For outbound, we did a Park and Fly stay (129 incl. 8 nights parking). A pretty good rate, since the Marriott was at 199 and the Sheraton at 189.
A shuttle runs every 20 minutes or so to and from airport (P4 is where ALL shuttles drop off and pick up -- you can get to P4 from terminals using the convenient Skytrain). Shuttle is convenient, free, and driver is courteous.
The hotel used to be a Doubletree, I think. Still undergoing some renovations (I think a whole wing is being renovated at present). Our room was renovated, but it's mostly cosmetics, and not very good workmanship at that.
Room is spacious, and quite well-equipped. Fridge. Coffeemaker. Inroom safe. Flat screen TV. Beds are comfortable Ren beds. Limited closet space. Sitting area, but no coffee table or even stand to hold magazines. Desk has the high tech panel thing, but no built in slot to lock down your laptop.
Bathroom is very small (maybe I'm just too fat). No counter space to speak of. I had to plug my shaver in at the desk instead. Absolutely no place to put anything. On outbound stay, the bathtub took 20 minutes to drain. Toilet wouldn't stop running. This is the renovated portion, mind you. This was not a problem on the return stay.
Front desk personnel very courteous and friendly. ^
Restaurant is fine. Decent menu, and food quality is better than I expected. Service is slow at times, but friendly and accommodating.
I am not a PLT member, so I can't comment on Club Lounge or anything. Sorry.
Would I stay there again?
If I have to fly out of EWR, and the price is really good, probably. Mind you, at EWR there really doesn't seem to be airport hotels above the calibre of this level of hotels anyhow.

By the way, driving to and from the hotel (to and from 95, for instance) is a bit of a pain. You should get very good directions ahead of time. Maybe one of those GPS things would have helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.