Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:39 am

I think during the booking platform transfer they lumped all the lagoon and ocean facing overwater villas into one room type.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:24 pm

F&B discount for Marriott Reward Members
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I just noticed that my points reservation has also changed numbers. It is easy to see on the points booking that the "Destination Amenity Fee" and the government taxes adds up to the $950 for two people's seaplane transfers (plus $.01 rounding). I was also changed from Spectacular Lagoon Oasis to Fabulous Overwater Oasis so hopefully this is a glitch that can be corrected.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by 84Horn
I just noticed that my points reservation has also changed numbers. It is easy to see on the points booking that the "Destination Amenity Fee" and the government taxes adds up to the $950 for two people's seaplane transfers (plus $.01 rounding). I was also changed from Spectacular Lagoon Oasis to Fabulous Overwater Oasis so hopefully this is a glitch that can be corrected.
Seems pretty silly to assume two people. What about those solo travelers trying to enjoy some over-water rooms?

Guess everyone is assuming breakfast is free for 2 people if a marriott platinum on an award stay? Food prices are outrageous but thankful for a 20% discount. That'll be just enough to cover tip lol
imverge likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
My points booking has reverted to a cash booking with the migration. Checked website and app. The points have not been returned to my account.

Anyone else experienced this? SPG lurkers - HELP!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:01 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by bgriff
Speaking of the transition of Ws from the SPG to Marriott booking engine, it looks like my 80K points/night Overwater Suite booking at the W Maldives become a cash booking for $1100+ per night in the transition. That'll be a fun one to see if Marriott can fix.....
Of all of the many, many, MANY problems I have had with Marriott/SPG since August, this might be proving to be the most infuriating one yet. I have tried email, Twitter, and phone, and so far all of them have been completely useless at fixing my booking.

After hanging up on several incompetent phone agents, best one I've found so far initially told me she could only rebook in the Beach Villa for 240K points, AND didn't acknowledge the 340K points that had already been taken from my account for the existing overwater booking that now shows as cash.

Anyone find anyone who was able to fix this issue yet?

ETA: The phone agent finally said that they looked at the history of the booking and claimed that the hotel itself changed it to a cash rate and they said the hotel would contact me. That seems unlikely to me given that I know the booking was still fine not long ago (at least as far as I could see on the old SPG.com booking page that came up before the system transition) so if the hotel did change it, it was very suspicious timing to do it at almost the same time as the W moved to the Marriott booking system. We'll see what the hotel says but I can't imagine they have any incentive to fix this, and of course Marriott doesn't crack down on hotels like SPG used to.

Did anyone successfully stay on one of these 80K points/night bookings in the past few months already?

One odd thing though ... the cash rate my booking got edited to is much cheaper than the current going rate for the same overwater room type. I have no intention to pay that much (~$1100/night) but it's odd that the rate is a good $500/night cheaper than what the hotel is otherwise offering.

Last edited by bgriff; Nov 29, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:38 pm

My Beach Oasis reservation for next month also turned from an award booking to cash booking as well.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:27 am

Don't panic, just email the hotel, they fixed it within a few minutes. SPG agents seems useless this time.
pnoeric likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I can also confirm that after contacting the hotel directly, my points booking has been corrected and now appears more-or-less correctly on SPG.com. (More or less because like in Gunner14's post above, the night-by-night points rates are totally out of line with what I actually paid, while the total number of points does show correctly, so who knows what's happening there.)

So anyone else having this issue should definitely reach out to the hotel to get it sorted out. With the hotel it did not require any fighting at all or even much explanation so in theory it could probably even be sorted out at check-in if needed, but much safer to have the comfort of having the booking cleaned up ahead of time.

I do have one more point of curiosity on this issue though ... during one of my fruitless conversations with Marriott central reservations trying to get this sorted out, they implied that they did not see the opportunity to make a new booking using 80K points/night for the overwater villa. It's entirely possible there just wasn't any more availability for my dates, or the agent was looking in the wrong place or whatever, but there's a chance the 80k/night overwater villa deal may be dead now with the move to the new W booking system ... will be interesting to hear any data points on future bookings.
MrM2016 and worldtraveler3 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
I can also confirm that after contacting the hotel directly, my points booking has been corrected and now appears more-or-less correctly on SPG.com. (More or less because like in Gunner14's post above, the night-by-night points rates are totally out of line with what I actually paid, while the total number of points does show correctly, so who knows what's happening there.)

So anyone else having this issue should definitely reach out to the hotel to get it sorted out. With the hotel it did not require any fighting at all or even much explanation so in theory it could probably even be sorted out at check-in if needed, but much safer to have the comfort of having the booking cleaned up ahead of time.

I do have one more point of curiosity on this issue though ... during one of my fruitless conversations with Marriott central reservations trying to get this sorted out, they implied that they did not see the opportunity to make a new booking using 80K points/night for the overwater villa. It's entirely possible there just wasn't any more availability for my dates, or the agent was looking in the wrong place or whatever, but there's a chance the 80k/night overwater villa deal may be dead now with the move to the new W booking system ... will be interesting to hear any data points on future bookings.
I called in today and tried to book the overwater villa for Oct of next year. I checked a few weeks ago and they had plenty of availability for that time(using 60K standard villa+20K upgrade). I can't imagine all of them got redeemed that quick ? The agent told me they don't see any availability in terms of points redemption for the overwater villas...so for now I booked the standard 60k redemption for the beach oasis villas and see if they can upgrade after. The agent forwarded my upgrade request to the hotel , so we will see how that goes. I am anxiously waiting as the 80K OWB upgrade is a pretty good deal!

Last edited by worldtraveler3; Dec 1, 2018 at 6:17 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, Alaska MileagePlan, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by worldtraveler3
I called in today and tried to book the overwater villa for Oct of next year. I checked a few weeks ago and they had plenty of availability for that time(using 60K standard villa+20K upgrade). I can't imagine all of them got redeemed that quick ? The agent told me they don't see any availability in terms of points redemption for the overwater villas...so for now I booked the standard 60k redemption for the beach oasis villas and see if they can upgrade after. The agent forwarded my upgrade request to the hotel , so we will see how that goes. I am anxiously waiting as the 80K OWB upgrade is a pretty good deal!
Please keep us posted with what happens!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by bylin2000
Please keep us posted with what happens!
So I got the reply today and this is what the hotel is saying : “Kindly note that W Maldives is a SPG Category 7 hotel with a partially participation in SPG loyalty program. Hence, free upgrade entitlement or using points are not applicable at W Maldives as all our rooms are consider as suites.

However, we are pleased to offer a special upgrade supplement of USD 450++ (USD 555 including taxes) per night from Beach Oasis to Overwater Oasis upon arrival subject to availability.”

Pretty bummed out if we can’t do the 80k(60k standard room + 20k upgrade )

Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott LTS

So I got the reply today and this is what the hotel is saying : “Kindly note that W Maldives is a SPG Category 7 hotel with a partially participation in SPG loyalty program. Hence, free upgrade entitlement or using points are not applicable at W Maldives as all our rooms are consider as suites.

However, we are pleased to offer a special upgrade supplement of USD 450++ (USD 555 including taxes) per night from Beach Oasis to Overwater Oasis upon arrival subject to availability.”

Oh man I was hoping I had time to do this as I am still accumulating the 340k points. Did you guys try to speak with the SPG CSR folks?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:22 am

I was rather concerned that the ability to book those would go away once the W switched over to the Marriott platform.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Ksw299
Oh man I was hoping I had time to do this as I am still accumulating the 340k points. Did you guys try to speak with the SPG CSR folks?
Ya I called numerous times talking to different CSRs, and every single time they say they don't see any availability for using points for the overwater villas. I tried to see if other maldives properties are the same and they confirmed that they only see availability for the basic beach villas...pretty sad. Anyone has any other ideas how to proceed(aside from paying straight up cash for the OWV )

Last edited by worldtraveler3; Dec 3, 2018 at 11:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.