Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
just a straight surcharge

Originally Posted by ahbitheman
We saw a family with two girls and a baby while there. Pretty sure they weren't in one of the few multibed suites at the very end of the dock. I highly doubt they paid this surcharge but they weren't on points most likely. The W Maldives doesn't seem great for kids though. Not much activities to do or other kids to even play with. It's also a fortune to feed kids given no lounge or kids menu. Almost all events cater to couples. With those surcharges it may make sense to leave your kids at home.

Are they really quoting you an upgrade to a bigger room? If so, it may not be as bad. Did you book at 60k for a beach villa or 85k for a OWV

The surcharge was presented as being for an extra person in a room surcharge. Below is the exact language used...there really is no ambiguity here.

EXTRA PERSON CHARGE

The following charges are applicable for any additional child in the room:

Children 0-2.99yrs Free of Charge

Children 3-11.99yrs USD 220

Terms & Conditions
  • Rates are per person, per day
  • Rates are inclusive of daily breakfast at Kitchen Restaurant
  • Rates are exclusive of 10% service charges and 12% GST taxes.
  • Green Tax USD 6 per person, per day is NOT included. Green tax applies to kids of any age
  • Resort bedding Policy strictly applies.
  • Extra Bed/ baby cots are subject to availability and confirmation from W Reservation office
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
The surcharge was presented as being for an extra person in a room surcharge. Below is the exact language used...there really is no ambiguity here.

EXTRA PERSON CHARGE

The following charges are applicable for any additional child in the room:

Children 0-2.99yrs Free of Charge

Children 3-11.99yrs USD 220

Terms & Conditions
  • Rates are per person, per day
  • Rates are inclusive of daily breakfast at Kitchen Restaurant
  • Rates are exclusive of 10% service charges and 12% GST taxes.
  • Green Tax USD 6 per person, per day is NOT included. Green tax applies to kids of any age
  • Resort bedding Policy strictly applies.
  • Extra Bed/ baby cots are subject to availability and confirmation from W Reservation office
Is it possible that you would only be charged $220/day for the second child? It says "additional child". I just tried to make a points booking with 2 adults and 1 child and there was no additional fee mentioned. Wen I added a second child I got the message that no points bookings were available for this property with cash prices quoted for the large two bedroom villas. Maybe worth clarifying with them?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Originally Posted by 84Horn
Is it possible that you would only be charged $220/day for the second child? It says "additional child". I just tried to make a points booking with 2 adults and 1 child and there was no additional fee mentioned. Wen I added a second child I got the message that no points bookings were available for this property with cash prices quoted for the large two bedroom villas. Maybe worth clarifying with them?
I just went online as well and an "extra person fee" of $392.86 is displayed for a 1 night booking when adding a child (3rd guest) on a point stay. This fee also shows up on paid bookings...

The property is very slow to respond to e-mails so sitting back to see what the response will be.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:05 pm

Just finished a stay at the W as well. Fantastic review above.

I very very much again with the review of the pool in the overwater villas. The rough construction material gave me and my friend several cuts on our hands and legs throughout my stay. This is really my only major complaint. The staff definitely felt more warmer and genuine compared to the St Regis. Though the breakfast spread simply did not match StR's.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
I see the St.Regis Maldives masterthread also mentions this fee. I also see the extra person fee online even when adding just 1 child. Perhaps they are just standardizing. Even the Sheraton Maldives charges $165 for an extra person. Are you still planning on going? These Maldives hotels will get your money one way or another. Sorry to hear of such a high unexpected expense.

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I just went online as well and an "extra person fee" of $392.86 is displayed for a 1 night booking when adding a child (3rd guest) on a point stay. This fee also shows up on paid bookings...

The property is very slow to respond to e-mails so sitting back to see what the response will be.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:47 pm

Here now. Interesting there are a lot more kids here than I anticipated. Based on a sheet I saw from one of the staff out of 170 guests - 17 are kids (10%). Overwater Villa is lovely but the rest of the stay (service, etc) has been pretty average so far.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gunner14
Here now. Interesting there are a lot more kids here than I anticipated. Based on a sheet I saw from one of the staff out of 170 guests - 17 are kids (10%). Overwater Villa is lovely but the rest of the stay (service, etc) has been pretty average so far.
I am scheduled to be there in 5 weeks so I am curious why you say it has been average.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:08 pm
In memoriam

@bgriff —
Wow! What a comprehensive review. Thank you for taking the time and effort.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
I just wish the hotel would update their bookings for next year. The rate rules are all non-refundable after one day and have the terms for a holiday stay (have to participate in the Christmas/New Year dinner).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:30 am

I tried searching but no luck - apologies if these have been discussed before: does anyone know does the resort have some/any guaranteed/typical perks for honeymooners or birthdays?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LTP, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver, Delta Silver
I've searched this thread and not found much on the W vs Park Hyatt (on points).

I was able to secure 5 nights at the W for 240k in January '20, though I have a ton of Chase points I could use for the Hyatt as well (25k/night). Seeing as the the StR seems to be incredibly stingy on availability before March 5th and I won't be able to book there, does anyone have a preference between the W and the Park Hyatt? TIA!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Discount for Platinum

Am here now and am Titanium. They havent really moved on to the new program terminology here. Am receiving 35% discount on F&B ,this may be a Feb and Mar promotion . The sea life around the island is amazing!
h8stn4d likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:24 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by scotchmeup
Am here now and am Titanium. They havent really moved on to the new program terminology here. Am receiving 35% discount on F&B ,this may be a Feb and Mar promotion . The sea life around the island is amazing!
Wow, is that for Titanium and up? Plat and up? And did they mention it was through March? Will be there end of March and that sure would be nice!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Just said Platinum, they arent really using the new terminology.so not really sure...ymmv. We were told Feb and and March.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scotchmeup
Just said Platinum, they arent really using the new terminology.so not really sure...ymmv. We were told Feb and and March.
Thanks for posting that! I was banking on 20%, but I'll take the 35!

Heading there soon and now maybe I can get a salad for dinner. Very exciting. Thrilled to hear your report on the sea life, too!

I assume "Destination Dinners" means dinner on their private island, rather than the themed (Lobster, Beach, Maldivian) dinners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.