Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

i would pick jw/gh over gs but they are also a class above gs. More points or more money

I found the room size for square view to be just fine at the gs but the bathrooms tiny. That said I don’t spend much time in the bathroom so that’s not a deal breaker for me. Yes lounge in basement but it’s comfortable with good food and self serve drink fridges. I’d raid the drink fridges each night grabbing large bottles of water allowing me to save on my per diem

Both the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House and the Marriott Grosvenor Square are category 7 award-redemption properties.

I wouldn't be surprised if the J.W. Marriott cash rates drop when the old chancery building -- aka the former U.S. embassy -- at Grosvenor Square opens as a Rosewood hotel. I have a feeling the Rosewood will be going after the same Gulf demographic that frequents the J.W. Marriott.

Then again, I understand that the Ritz's exclusive rights to the name "Ritz" in London expire soon, meaning Marriott can open a Ritz-Carlton property in London. I could see Grosvenor House re-flagged as a Ritz-Carlton almost overnight.

I've stayed 5 years now at Grosvenor House. I shudder to think what the J.W. Marriott will be like once Marriott's variable award-redemption pricing takes effect. I imagine it will be at peak for upwards of 90% of the year, which means I probably won't go back this year.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I used a SNA for a single night Chambers Club upgrade at the Ren St. Pancras
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:08 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Of Marriotts London hotels if it’s a special stay I’d definitely consider County Hall, JW Grosvenor House, and Park Lane. Of those 3 I prefer the Marriott Park Lane. I haven’t tried but have heard good things about the Sheraton, Westbury and W. Notably the only London property earmarked for the forthcoming Cat 8 is the Wellesley.

If you’re familiar with London and are planning a Eurostar train journey to the continent then St Pancras is a great choice, it’s subway to everywhere (except St Pancras!) but the lounge is outstanding.

Finally, London is a great place to use your SNAs, Suites are fabulous at all 4 of the legacy Marriott hotels I’ve mentioned.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Of Marriotts London hotels if it’s a special stay I’d definitely consider County Hall, JW Grosvenor House, and Park Lane. Of those 3 I prefer the Marriott Park Lane. I haven’t tried but have heard good things about the Sheraton, Westbury and W. Notably the only London property earmarked for the forthcoming Cat 8 is the Wellesley.

If you’re familiar with London and are planning a Eurostar train journey to the continent then St Pancras is a great choice, it’s subway to everywhere (except St Pancras!) but the lounge is outstanding.

Finally, London is a great place to use your SNAs, Suites are fabulous at all 4 of the legacy Marriott hotels I’ve mentioned.
The Marriott London County Hall has outsourced housekeeping and implemented ridiculous, penny-pinching policies in the lounge. To me, that makes it less attractive for anyone who values elite status benefits.

For example, they no longer have self-serve food at night. You get three, single-bite pieces of food. If you want anything else or extra servings, you have to pay. Also, spirits are not offered on a complimentary basis. By contrast, they will make you complimentary cocktails, upon request, in the lounge at the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House.

It's interesting that we are seeing more Autograph Collection properties opening than full-service brands from legacy Marriott or legacy Starwood. Presumably, this is good for us because the Autograph Collection properties aren't managed by Marriott and, as a result, may have more flexibility in the setting of their nightly cash rates. If that's the case, they could push down rates at other properties affiliated with Marriott. Some of the cash rates at the Marriott London County Hall are insane, notwithstanding the excellent view from some rooms of the River Thames and the Palace of Westminster.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I think grading a property just on lounge differences is short-sighted. Let alone, how do you decide on the W or the Wellesley, neither of which have a lounge. I agree that the County Hall Lounge provision falls short of the JW, the Park Lane and especially the Renaissance and it should be considered, but dismissing a property for that, especially when considering County Halls excellent tourist location, great views and rooms, it’s afternoon tea, it’s restaurant and the bar. It’s so much more than just a free lounge. As a Brit I personally wouldn’t choose County Hall, as I don’t need to be in tourist London. I prefer the Hyde Park area and the Park Lane Marriott, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t refer to Marriotts other leading properties and County Hall is definitely one of them.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I think grading a property just on lounge differences is short-sighted. Let alone, how do you decide on the W or the Wellesley, neither of which have a lounge. I agree that the County Hall Lounge provision falls short of the JW, the Park Lane and especially the Renaissance and it should be considered, but dismissing a property for that, especially when considering County Halls excellent tourist location, great views and rooms, it’s afternoon tea, it’s restaurant and the bar. It’s so much more than just a free lounge. As a Brit I personally wouldn’t choose County Hall, as I don’t need to be in tourist London. I prefer the Hyde Park area and the Park Lane Marriott, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t refer to Marriotts other leading properties and County Hall is definitely one of them.

With respect to the lounge, fair enough except it's below the standard generally accepted. Combined with the housekeeping being outsourced and a general downward trajectory it is indicative of an overpriced hotel. You can do better, both for award redemptions and with cash.

This used to be a good 4-star hotel. Not so much anymore, especially when compared to the plethora of other genuinely good 4-star London hotels in Marriott's portfolio.

By all accounts, the Renaissance St. Pancras does an excellent job recognizing top-level elite status and meets or surpasses the expected Marriott standards.

I think all of Marriott's U.K. hotels have dropped slightly, if only because they seem to be one of the few hoteliers not adhering to the rather strict AA rating standards that are otherwise followed by most British hotels.

This is verified by a quick search of the AA website, which indicated only four Marriott properties in the United Kingdom are listed. Those properties are the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House (5 stars), the Renaissance London Heathrow (not rated, but "advertised"), The Westbury Mayfair, Luxury Collection (5 stars) and the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh (5 stars). If others are rated I couldn't find them. I'm pretty sure the Marriott London County Hall and others were previously rated in years past.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 9, 2019 at 3:52 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
In the past couple of years have stayed at the following properties - just wanted to give a comparison for each.

Wellesley Knightsbridge (Luxury Collection):
  • Positives: Great location for tourists and a brisk walk to my office. Stayed twice - once upgraded to a suite, the second time sold out so got a standard king room. The rooms are beautiful, with a full marble bathroom and Hermes toiletries even in the standard room (I was in a suite the first time and thought it might have been a suite-only thing, as I had that at the Hotel President Wilson in Geneva, but no it's in all rooms). The owner put a lot of money into the property, with the cigar room, a very upscale bar, etc.
  • Negatives: I thought the standard room was very small, even for London, and probably wouldn't stay again when occupancy is so high and an upgrade is unlikely. I also thought the continental platinum breakfast was quite poor. The breads tasted stale, and the selection is very small. They're clearly staying within the strict definitions of the free breakfast and that's all. Overall, hotel probably not worth the premium to me once it goes up to Category 8. You also have to be careful not to get booked into the Queen Accessible room available on points, as it looks tiny and not up to the standard of the other rooms.
Sheraton Grand Park Lane
  • Positives: Formerly quite the dog, was renovated in the past few years and it shows. Also good location. I loved the amount of space even in a non-suite room (honestly not sure if I had a upgraded room or a standard). Nice new bathrooms. Only briefly went into the lounge outside of a meal time, and thought it was OK but nothing particularly special.
  • Negatives: None in particular. Would return here.
Le Meridien Piccadilly
  • Positives: I have stayed here several times, and I actually love that the hotel is old and has many different room types. They all are quite large and it's kind of fun having non-traditional rooms and not knowing exactly what you're going to get when you walk in (though there's a negative, see below). Location on Piccadilly is good if you're a tourist. Even if you're not, it's just off the main area, so isn't actually loud at all.
  • Negatives: Hotel needs a renovation. Rooms are definitely looking tired. Lounge had a great afternoon tea but was mobbed most times I was there (very small and just above the lobby).
W Leicester Square
  • Pros: None in particular. Bliss products?
  • Negatives: My least favorite in London (and there are plenty of other W's I like). Tiny rooms, with the style that a few other W's have with the bathroom sink in the bedroom, and a tiny closet for a toilet and another for a shower. Hotel was constantly jammed with people at the bar and club and I had to show my room card to even get into the lobby.

Seems like the Marriott Park Lane has good reviews and is likely to be the next one I try.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
Best hotels near Royal albert hall

I’m going to be London mid November for concerts at the Royal Albert hall. What’s the best property within easy access of this venue?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wolvie007
Best hotels near Royal albert hall
Sounds like the makings of a Google search.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Originally Posted by wolvie007
I’m going to be London mid November for concerts at the Royal Albert hall. What’s the best property within easy access of this venue?
While clearly not "the best," I walked from the London Marriott Kensington for a Tony Bennett concert at the Royal Albert Hall last year. As a solo 50-something female business traveler, I felt perfectly safe walking to and from the concert from the hotel. There are a few dodgy homeless folks near the Gloucester Road tube stop, but I've never had any issues with them bothering me.

The Xenia, Autograph Collection, is across the street from the Kensington. I have not stayed there, as I enjoy having lounge access.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by jtwiz
The Xenia, Autograph Collection, is across the street from the Kensington. I have not stayed there, as I enjoy having lounge access.
The rooms at the Xenia are also quite petite - and the "cozy" rooms even more so.

That said, if I'm traveling by myself, I still choose it over the Marriott across the street. I like the more boutique feel of the Xenia with very friendly staff, and rooms with more charm and character, and as a Plat they've always given me coupons for buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Since I spend so little time in my hotel when I'm in London anyway, that all matters more than extra space to me.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by twa777
The rooms at the Xenia are also quite petite - and the "cozy" rooms even more so.

That said, if I'm traveling by myself, I still choose it over the Marriott across the street. I like the more boutique feel of the Xenia with very friendly staff, and rooms with more charm and character, and as a Plat they've always given me coupons for buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Since I spend so little time in my hotel when I'm in London anyway, that all matters more than extra space to me.
I've also seen some really good cash rates at this property. The Marriott London Maida Vale and the Hotel Xenia, Autograph Collection consistently have good rates and even special rate packages with bonus points.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:06 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yep. They've been doing this since the fall of 2017. It's horrible. If you want more than the three, single-piece servings of food then they charge you. Totally absurd and super cheap.

When I last stayed, they had a rodent problem too. I also saw them filling the sink in the bar with ice and putting that ice in glasses for drinks. There was no liner or anything separating the ice from the tub of the sink. Completely unsanitary.

This property used to be my favorite in London. The view is great and the renovated room are nicely done, but it's not worth what they charge, either cash or in points.
Last time I was there over the summer the Renaissance at Heathrow was also doing this. I hope it doesn't become a trend.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stc
Last time I was there over the summer the Renaissance at Heathrow was also doing this. I hope it doesn't become a trend.
When I stayed at the Renaissance London Heathrow in May they required you to place an order, but you could have seconds or thirds without charge.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:15 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
When I stayed at the Renaissance London Heathrow in May they required you to place an order, but you could have seconds or thirds without charge.
Thanks. I guess I missed that detail. Still given the rundown condition of the hotel and the lack of any real upgrades, I am more likely to stay at the Marriott or Sheraton Skypline at LHR in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.