Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEAVING Marriott 18 Feb 21] Equinox Resort, Vermont, Luxury Colln [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Resort Access from Union Street: Aug. 11 Oct. 6, 2015

From August 11 through October 6, 2015, access to the resort from Union Street will be closed due to road construction. Please use Main Street / Historic Route 7A to access the resort. Please contact the resort for further information.

Holiday Season: December 20, 2015 January 3, 2016

From December 20, 2015 to January 3, 2016, the resort will have a large number of families with children and pets due to the holiday season. Please contact the resort for further information.

Martin Luther King's: January 15-18, 2016

From January 15 to January 18, 2016, the resort will have a large number of families with children and pets due to Martin Luther Kings weekend. Please contact the resort for more information.

President's Week: February 12 February 21, 2016

From February 12 to February 21, 2016, the resort will have large number of families with children and pets due to President's Week. Please contact the resort for more information.
Print Wikipost

[LEAVING Marriott 18 Feb 21] Equinox Resort, Vermont, Luxury Colln [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I love this property. I love their (main hotel) suites. .
Just curious - why just the main hotel suites??? what about the Orvis inn suites?? I have a 4 FRN stay next week & it seems the hotel upgraded me to those suites...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 4:14 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: AA CK Spouse, BAEC Silver , HH Dia, BonVoy Titanium, (former)Caesars7*, (former)Wynn Black, HR Icon
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Agree completely on all points - excellent use of points / FRNs and the like, but would never pay those prices. Think I was able to get it closer to $300 with a corp. rate, but still have to tack on 25% for taxes.
My last stay (2+ years ago) was on a $99 (no resort fee) promotional midweek rate (for June). That was rather extreme, and at the time as a Platinum; our upgrade was quite nice.

Last time I checked, our corp rate was in the mid $200's +/-. My problem, as rates creep close to $300, is that you really have to explore some of the other options in the surrounding area when you get into that price point. While I'm more of a 'full-service' hotel guy, once prices get high, I will look away from "full-service" or my primary (loyalty) properties.

Since I live in New Hampshire, while I really enjoy Vermont, most of our (limited) shorter local trips stick to supporting NH businesses (and resorts and hotels).

Also, resorts in New Hampshire tend to have fewer New Yorkers than Vermont resorts which is a real plus. Just like I don't like to drive with New Yorkers, the only thing worse is skiing with them. (this was meant as a tongue-in-cheek joke)

Originally Posted by ehud
Just curious - why just the main hotel suites??? what about the Orvis inn suites?? I have a 4 FRN stay next week & it seems the hotel upgraded me to those suites...
Personal preference. Main hotel is historic, and the layouts of the suites are very unique. Also love the 'old' duplexes. There are areas of the hotel, where there are two doors (for rooms). Open one door, and you are in a room; open the other and you have to go up a flight of stairs to your room. I just love unique layouts of suites in old hotels. Also, I find it a 'minor' plus being located in the main hotel building.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Orvis Inn. I've also been in them, and they are very nice. Just missing that 'special' something. It's been two years+ (since I've viewed Orvis), but Orvis seemed to remind me more of an 'upscale' timeshare than a luxury hotel.

We were considering doing my son's Bar Mitzvah @ Equinox; and basically viewed all of the room (types) and suites on a previous visit. I took a few pictures of the most unique suites.

Last edited by baccarat_king; Nov 30, 2011 at 4:22 am
Old Nov 30, 2011, 6:06 am

Personal preference. Main hotel is historic, and the layouts of the suites are very unique. Also love the 'old' duplexes. There are areas of the hotel, where there are two doors (for rooms). Open one door, and you are in a room; open the other and you have to go up a flight of stairs to your room. I just love unique layouts of suites in old hotels. Also, I find it a 'minor' plus being located in the main hotel building.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Orvis Inn. I've also been in them, and they are very nice. Just missing that 'special' something. It's been two years+ (since I've viewed Orvis), but Orvis seemed to remind me more of an 'upscale' timeshare than a luxury hotel.

We were considering doing my son's Bar Mitzvah @ Equinox; and basically viewed all of the room (types) and suites on a previous visit. I took a few pictures of the most unique suites.
Can you recommend what suite are the best in the main building. Are they in a good shape (i.e renovated)?

Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:54 pm

Main hotel is historic, and the layouts of the suites are very unique.
I was under the impression that the Orvis Inn is more historic than the main hotel? Is that not in fact the case?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:04 am

Programs: AA CK Spouse, BAEC Silver , HH Dia, BonVoy Titanium, (former)Caesars7*, (former)Wynn Black, HR Icon
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I was under the impression that the Orvis Inn is more historic than the main hotel? Is that not in fact the case?
Well, it is true that the Orvis Inn is a 19th century residence; IMO, the extensive renovations don't leave you with that feeling.

With that being said, I 'think' they renovated out most of the 'strangeness;' in the Orvis Inn. The main hotel, has a number of bizarre architectural features that are still a part of the building (and rooms/suites). Slanted floors, strange duplex suite arrangements, interesting pass-through doors.

Of course, I'm far from an expert, and this is just one person's impression.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt Plat; US Airways Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Thumbs down Trip report

My girlfriend and I decided to take a road trip here, not wanting to let my remaining four FRN go to waste after a fantastic experience at Marques de Riscal earlier in the year.

Needless to say, Marques de Riscal it is not. The Equinox is a historic property (circa ~late 1700s) situated in a quaint little town and surrounded by many ski slopes. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and what was suppose to be a winter ski vacation ended up being an uneventful, unmemorable stay in the middle of nowhere.

Truth be told, if history is your thing and you enjoy old school luxury, then you might appreciate this property. But I had expected it to offer more since it belonged to the Luxury Collection.

The Bad:
- No upgrade; stayed in a standard "deluxe" room on the first floor.
- The evening that we arrived, the outside temperature was 19F. The heater malfunctioned and the indoor temperature stayed below 59F throughout the night. After the hotel staff tried unsuccessfully to reset it, they brought in a portable area heater, but the room remained uncomfortably cold. The heater was fixed the next day.
- Resort fee of $25/day (plus taxes)

The Good:
- Pet-friendly hotel. However, they will charge you a one time non-refundable pet fee of $125 (plus taxes) for the privilege.
- Resort fee was waived after I complained about the lack of heat at check out.

When in town:
- Marsh Tavern: Food was mediocre. I requested a medium rare burger and was given a well done. The waitress was unapologetic and stoic
- ^Up for Breakfast: Great for breakfast or for any meal for that matter. Huge portions. Try their cranberry/pumpkin pancakes and buffalo sausage.
- ^The Lawyer and Baker: Nice people, great service and good place for a snack.
- Thai Basil: Food was meh, but makes a good cocktail
- Honora Winery: $15 for 5 tiny sips of wine. That's their idea of wine tasting.
- ^Taylor Farm: Nice people. Chickens will follow you around. Pay 50 cents to buy the feed to feed the chickens for cheap fun. Visit the cows up the hill. Generous sampling of their cheeses.
- Bistro Henry: Food was not bad but pricey for the quality
- The Cheese House: Owner was a big meanie and belittled my girlfriend for requesting seconds on sampling cheese. Their cheese is overpriced. We would have spent over $100 in his store had he not been nasty to us.

Last edited by FringeBenefits; Dec 23, 2011 at 2:50 pm
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FringeBenefits
- The evening that we arrived, the outside temperature was 19F. The heater malfunctioned and the indoor temperature stayed below 59F throughout the night. After the hotel staff tried unsuccessfully to reset it, they brought in a portable area heater, but the room remained uncomfortably cold. The heater was fixed the next day.
Did you ask for a different room? I would most definitely push for compensation for this issue.

Last edited by mlad1101; Dec 24, 2011 at 11:08 am Reason: lol not defiantly
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I wasn't charged a resort fee when I went, and I specifically asked about it - so is there or isn't there one?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I wasn't charged a resort fee when I went, and I specifically asked about it - so is there or isn't there one?
I also wasn't charged resort fees on last week's stay, but I specifically asked for that to be removed...
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP, SPG-Plat, UAL 1K, CO Plat, Marriott Silver
recent stay / experience?

has anybody stayed recently? any experiences?

unfortunately i'm still just lowly gold... didn't travel last year and am close, but not there yet given much of my work has been local.

thinking about going up for a weekend with my girlfriend in mid july.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:58 pm

spg gold considering visit with family (two kids 4 and 5)

anyone get some upgrade for being a Goldmember? seems that room sizes vary from as little as 170sqft to about 400, want to make sure we don't get stuck with two cranky kids in our bed and no view. Also, can anyone comment on a recent summer visit with kids?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by shiframeir
anyone get some upgrade for being a Goldmember? seems that room sizes vary from as little as 170sqft to about 400, want to make sure we don't get stuck with two cranky kids in our bed and no view. Also, can anyone comment on a recent summer visit with kids?
Did you book a room with "2 Queen Beds?" That would pretty much guarantee that you won't have "two cranky kids" in your bed.

Booking anything else, is gambling during prime summer season.

Personally, I'd book two rooms and connect them.... Life is too short to not enjoy your vacation.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:07 pm

2queens = big room?

I would of course book the 2 queens, but based on online reviews it seems some rooms are just smaller and some bigger (large disparity in sizes) and it wasn't clear that 2 beds would guarantee a 400sqft room. thanks for the quick response!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Any recent stays? Are the pictures on the SPG site pre- or post-renovation (or has not much changed)?

Also, does anyone know the fees (if any) for tennis and archery (not for lessons, just for use of equipment/facilities)?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:07 pm
tds

Good stay at Equinox

Completing 3 day stay at the Equinox - have had a very nice stay. Stayed on SPG points. Online reservation was pre-upgraded to suite (1 day prior) in the main building. Bi-level suite with bedroom on lower level and "crows nest" sitting room with windows on all four sides "upstairs." Hotel is very quiet - a couple of weeks before the summer crowds arrive.

Its of course a historic hotel, so that comes with quirks like some creakiness in the main stairway and the floor in the suite is uneven in certain areas. Adds to the charm of the hotel.

Staff has been excellent - front desk and concierge knew us by name upon arrival and very eager to help make the stay great. Concierge contacted me via email 1 week prior to arrival to provide info on area activities and see if we needed help with any reservations. Was very responsive to email correspondence leading up to check in.

Chose the platinum breakfast, which is the continental breakfast buffet for 2 or apply the value ($13.50 each) to any item from the menu.

Two issues with the stay. First breakfast, spouse ordered breakfast sandwich. A couple of bites in, realized that the bun was moldy. Staff was genuinely embarrassed and we received apologies from 3 different people. Because our breakfast was already complimentary, they waived $25 resort fee for the day and gave 1000 SPG points. Other than this unfortunate incident, breakfasts were excellent.

Second, wi-fi was inconsistent in the room. Could not pick up signal in the sitting room, got 2 bars/"good" reception in the bedroom. Could only connect via laptop - iPad could not keep a consistent connection anywhere in the room. Connection was fine in the lobby/patio.

Had dinner in the casual restaurant (Marsh Tavern) twice - food was very good on both visits.

First trip to Vermont - beautiful area. But I can't imagine what traffic must be like in this town during fall colors!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.