Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Puerto Rico

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
cab fare

anyone know how much a cab is from SJU to the marriott (not renaissance) would cost?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:09 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
just paid it last week!

$16 plus $1 per bag.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Did you go on this trip?

I'm contemplating switching from the Caribe to the Marriott for the holidays since the latest reports from the Caribe Hilton have been horrible and the club lounges are closed at the Hilton

I've been to this property but not for six years and all I can remember is the lounge was nice but I can't remember anything about the pools and beach and since I have two smaller kids (7/9) the pool and beach are an important part of the trip

anyone care to chime in on recent (Sept/Oct) stays at this property?

anyone who has been to the caribe hilton this fall and the marriott think I should switch?
Not sure if you are doing one or two rooms. I was in a corner cabana tower connecting to 2dbl and loved it (other than my incident noted). The beach is difficult. Apparently, there is a constant, never improving undertow. The pools are nice, not deep, seperate kids and adult pools. Lounge is STRICT on the no food allowed out rules. Presentations are adequate. Evening staff, Elizidad? is less than accomodating.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by etsmyers
Not sure if you are doing one or two rooms. I was in a corner cabana tower connecting to 2dbl and loved it (other than my incident noted). The beach is difficult. Apparently, there is a constant, never improving undertow. The pools are nice, not deep, seperate kids and adult pools. Lounge is STRICT on the no food allowed out rules. Presentations are adequate. Evening staff, Elizidad? is less than accomodating.
thank you for the summary

question, are there lifeguards (ocean)? are undertows marked? how do they monitor the keeping of the food out of the lounge? what about drinks (non-alcoholic)? mental note made on Elizidad

just paid it last week!

$16 plus $1 per bag.
thank you much
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:07 pm

anyone know how much a cab is from SJU to the marriott (not renaissance) would cost?
If you are coming in late ( I think after 10 pm), they can hit you for another $1 or $1.50 surcharge. Also, there used to be like $1.50 fuel surcharge, not sure if dropped since price of gas has fallen. As most residents do not tip cabbies, I find I just give them $20 with no luggage no matter what time I arrive, and they always seem happy.

Note - they do not take credit cards as ride is less than $25.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:12 pm

thank you for the summary

question, are there lifeguards (ocean)? are undertows marked? how do they monitor the keeping of the food out of the lounge? what about drinks (non-alcoholic)? mental note made on Elizidad
Lounge opened Sunday to Friday morning. You can always walk out with a bottle water or a can of soda. They do not say anything. I am not sure about food, never seen anyone do it. But I do always walk out with a fruit in pocket. They generally have great fruit, especially morning breakfast.

Lounge open till midnight. But the coffee machine is cleaned by (usually) around 11 pm. So if you are making a late run for coffee, go before then. Also, the drinks are usually gone by the time desserts is over. Slightly after 9 or 9:30 pm.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:17 pm

By the way, if you are entitle to a welcome gift, I highly recommend the gift over the 500 points. You get two choices. I always choose the dark red wine, which is a nice half bottle. Also, soft ice cream, which is big enough for two. Ice cream is already dished out so you want to be in room when they bring it.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:23 pm

Sorry for the late reply. There is no guard per se, but there is a constant security guard and SJ police presence. I went out to about my waist and kept my kids close.

The lounge always has 3 attendants minimum. One at the door to check names on the sheet, the others attending.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:32 am

Xmas 2008 update

Originally Posted by qazw1
If you are coming in late ( I think after 10 pm), they can hit you for another $1 or $1.50 surcharge. Also, there used to be like $1.50 fuel surcharge, not sure if dropped since price of gas has fallen. As most residents do not tip cabbies, I find I just give them $20 with no luggage no matter what time I arrive, and they always seem happy.

Note - they do not take credit cards as ride is less than $25.
I had a late arrival and here is what the receipt states;

Zone 3 > 15.00
gas surcharge > 1.50
late night > 1.00
bags > 6.00
total 23.50 + tip

Lounge opened Sunday to Friday morning. You can always walk out with a bottle water or a can of soda. They do not say anything. I am not sure about food, never seen anyone do it. But I do always walk out with a fruit in pocket. They generally have great fruit, especially morning breakfast.

Lounge open till midnight. But the coffee machine is cleaned by (usually) around 11 pm. So if you are making a late run for coffee, go before then. Also, the drinks are usually gone by the time desserts is over. Slightly after 9 or 9:30 pm.
moot point for me; lounge closed 12/24 after b/f until Jan 4th
fyi, i did ask about free b/f in lieu of and the answer was a flat out NO!!!

Sorry for the late reply. There is no guard per se, but there is a constant security guard and SJ police presence. I went out to about my waist and kept my kids close.

The lounge always has 3 attendants minimum. One at the door to check names on the sheet, the others attending.
No lifeguards
sec guards are at the entrance
pool towels; i was amazed that you didn't have to sign them out
water is rough man wow

lounge > there were two attendants for the day I was able to go in; I was able to take my coffee out which is all I tried to do

another thing > no free computer access anywhere here; I'm using my national access verizon card but the speed for some reason is slow, very slow
I didn't use the hotel internet, don't know the cost

another thing two > upgrade as plat, a corner room, not a bad room but I'm not overwhelmed either; fyi for future use, I think in the smaller tower that the rooms ending in X45 are suites; don't know which ones are in the high tower which I'm in; also the room I'm in doesn't have any or should I say very little room to put your clothes, read that to say there are no drawers

another thing three > lots of cheap eats with in three blocks either way out the door; Walgreens is nearby too, man that place has long lines

another thing four > has a hot tub that is not very hot (they told me it was the rain).. the pool is freezing too and one has a slide for kids too

another thing five > I didn't realize this was so close to the Renaissance

didn't use the parking; don't know the price

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Jan 2, 2009 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:56 am

another thing > no free computer access anywhere here;
All in who you know. I was denied, but also saw others using the CL computer

another thing two > upgrade as plat, a corner room, not a bad room but I'm not overwhelmed either; fyi for future use, I think in the smaller tower that the rooms ending in X45 are suites; 45s are oversize, I was in 245 and see my post about the thwarted crime. Even our connecting room 244 was nice sized

another thing three > lots of cheap eats with in three blocks either way out the door; Walgreens is nearby too, man that place has long linesas you are on the front door, turn left, an italian place down the street with FABULOUS mussels. Turn right, after the internet cafe and the Tshirt shop was a small mom and pop place, Orozco?? very nice people.

another thing four > has a hot tub that is not very hot (they told me it was the rain).. the pool is freezing too and one has a slide for kids tooDont let em blame the rain, it was FREEZING when we were there

another thing five > I didn't realize this was so close to the RenaissanceIt is a BEAUTIFUL lobby and gym, but beyond that, I was not overly impressed. If you go just around the corner from it, there is great high dollar shopping, Gucci, Cartier, about 10 shops or so.

This info is for everyones use except Trojan Horse, since he is against the Lions!

Last edited by etsmyers; Dec 25, 2008 at 9:40 am
Old Dec 25, 2008, 8:03 am

another thing > no free computer access anywhere here; I'm using my national access verizon card but the speed for some reason is slow, very slow
I didn't use the hotel internet, don't know the cost

If you are traveling with your notebook, try across the street. I have not use it but The Taco Maker restaurant advertises free wifi. I saw numerous patrons with their notebooks there. I think hotel's wifi is like $16/day.

Your Verizon will crawl, my Sprint card was almost useless at times. You can try moving down to the lobby area. Sometimes that helps. Or draw back the drapes.

Parking is probably $25 or $30/day.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 2:00 pm

If you are traveling with your notebook, try across the street. I have not use it but The Taco Maker restaurant advertises free wifi. I saw numerous patrons with their notebooks there. I think hotel's wifi is like $16/day.

Your Verizon will crawl, my Sprint card was almost useless at times. You can try moving down to the lobby area. Sometimes that helps. Or draw back the drapes.

Parking is probably $25 or $30/day.
my verizon card is so slow.. arghhh.. I was talking to a couple guys with sprint cards, one said it was fine the other said it was slow LOL

I just opened the drapes and the balcony door, that did seem to pick up the speed a bit on my verizon card

self Parking is $16 a day or thats what the sign says anyway
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Marriott Stellaris

Hello!

My SO and I are considering the Marriott Stellaris in San Juan for a HM destination. (We can do it on points, which is key; it's not a far flight from NYC, which is also key; and will be in October, which I understand rules out a lot of the Gulf coast of Mexico.) We're looking for 60% R&R, 30% going out to fun restaurants, 10% sightseeing.

Is this a good HM choice? Thanks in advance for any thoughts...
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by as219
Hello!

My SO and I are considering the Marriott Stellaris in San Juan for a HM destination. (We can do it on points, which is key; it's not a far flight from NYC, which is also key; and will be in October, which I understand rules out a lot of the Gulf coast of Mexico.) We're looking for 60% R&R, 30% going out to fun restaurants, 10% sightseeing.

Is this a good HM choice? Thanks in advance for any thoughts...
simply put; I can think of much better options using the same criteria as above

I was there and it was a decent trip but nothing I'd want as my honeymoon
Old Mar 25, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
simply put; I can think of much better options using the same criteria as above

I was there and it was a decent trip but nothing I'd want as my honeymoon
Here's the rub...

We're basically blowing all our $$$ on the wedding itself, and the honeymoon is practically an afterthought. In a perfect world, we'd love to go on a 2-week adventure, but the logistics and finances don't allow. So in addition to the criteria posted above, we need a place that is in a relatively cheap country, so that when we step foot outside the hotel costs will be relatively low. Where else to go using hotel points (need not be only MR) that fits the bill? What are the better options you're thinking of?

P.S. I'm really out of my element in planning this trip. Europe, no problem. Middle East, check. But Mexico/Central America/Caribbean? Not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.