Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I much prefer not having a lounge, if nothing else, for the ability to get a variety of mixed drinks at one or more of the hotel's regular venues that serve alcohol. Bamboo Chic at LM, and a choice of three or four at SGS. With a PLT/Exec lounge, it's pretty much pour your own, but if you want a mixed drink....
I'm a particular fan of the Pepper Caipirinha. And anything that Son makes specially for you :-).
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I'm a particular fan of the Pepper Caipirinha. And anything that Son makes specially for you :-).
I like him. Very serious and dedicated to his guests and his work. I only found out on my most recent visit that he's not Thai.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:26 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Ahhh, no. Transform the next floor down and keep the Presidential Suite as it is with its double height ceiling. Actually I've been in there a couple of times before when they've done Platinum happy hour drinks up there but never stayed there. It was showing on the app all day on Friday and I kept checking to make sure it hadn't changed.

I wonder if they need an actual lounge. If they had a formal lounge then they would have to compete meal for meal with the other lounges in Bangkok and the standard is very high. Today, they have a differentiated offering in Bamboo Chic which I really enjoy (except when it's moved for weddings). You can't beat breakfast in the Platinum area as it is. And I'm not sure I want to read lounge hounds complaining that the spread of food at Le Meridien's lounge isn't comprehensive enough for them and their extended family's dinner feast.
Couldn't agree more! I prefer the LM with no lounge!
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I agree, having spent a few PLT Happy Hours there, myself. But also remember that for Thai owners an over-the-top Presidential/Royal Suite may be a matter of status, appearance, and face, whether they can get anyone to pay those prices or not. This hotel, like the Marriott Surawongse down the street, is owned by an individual Thai gentleman.
Khun Charoen has his meetings at The Surawongse, his son have them at the Marriott Marquis (huge suite - I was there only for less than 2 hours, just enough time to visit this 2 level place and to have a bottle of bubbly with some canapes) and I believe his daughter prefers the Athenee. Of course, they can change their preference according to the event: I saw K. Charoen a couple of times at The Athenee (it might be when it was the Le Meridien Plaza Athenee). i believe that The Athenee is usually the place where they meet Prime Ministers and Vice Prime Ministers.

Last edited by UASPG; Jul 12, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Ahhh, no. Transform the next floor down and keep the Presidential Suite as it is with its double height ceiling. Actually I've been in there a couple of times before when they've done Platinum happy hour drinks up there but never stayed there. It was showing on the app all day on Friday and I kept checking to make sure it hadn't changed.

I wonder if they need an actual lounge. If they had a formal lounge then they would have to compete meal for meal with the other lounges in Bangkok and the standard is very high. Today, they have a differentiated offering in Bamboo Chic which I really enjoy (except when it's moved for weddings). You can't beat breakfast in the Platinum area as it is. And I'm not sure I want to read lounge hounds complaining that the spread of food at Le Meridien's lounge isn't comprehensive enough for them and their extended family's dinner feast.
When or if they decide to go ahead with that project, it will take some time before they open that lounge. It will not be like the temporary lounge that we experienced, which was always too hot.

I am pretty sure that they will sell rooms with lounge access (for non-Platinum or higher level members) included. They rarely sell those 2 suites, so they mostly use them to upgrade frequent guests like us.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:45 pm

Pee Son might not be at the hotel for much longer. He has done his time at the LMBKK and is probably looking for a higher position at another property.
Enjoy your Pepper Caipirinhas prepared by this Mixologist from the Land of the Blue Dragon while you can.

Last edited by UASPG; Jul 12, 2019 at 9:10 pm
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I’ve just booked Le Meridien and SGS at 3.2k++ and 3.9k++ respectively but can’t decide whether I should try Le Meridien for the first time! I need to use up SNAs or they’ll go to waste and I’ll probably spend more time in the Silom area. Any thoughts on the best place to use SNAs in Bkk? It seems Le Meridien has a higher chance of a suite without one anyway? Is the new Le Meridien lounge and breakfast up to SGS standards? Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I’ve just booked Le Meridien and SGS at 3.2k++ and 3.9k++ respectively but can’t decide whether I should try Le Meridien for the first time! I need to use up SNAs or they’ll go to waste and I’ll probably spend more time in the Silom area. Any thoughts on the best place to use SNAs in Bkk? It seems Le Meridien has a higher chance of a suite without one anyway? Is the new Le Meridien lounge and breakfast up to SGS standards? Thanks!
As Platinum or higher you have a very good chance of a suite upgrade at the Le Meridien anyway. I stay there countless times a year and have only once not got one over the last six years (at the end of last year over Christmas when others were burning off SNAs).

The lounge isn't a lounge. There's an area that you can get coffee and cake during the day. From 5.30-7.30pm you go to the bar (unless there's an event) and have freeflow cocktails and canapes (not a meal). The cocktails are high-end cocktails mixed by people who know what they're doing with alcohol and you can ask for pretty much anything you like. This is a highlight of Le Meridien. But if you want an evening meal then don't stay here and be disappointed because you're not fed a main course in the evening.

Breakfast is in the main buffet and it's excellent (even by Bangkok's high standards) with a separate area for elites and sparkling wine. You have to trade your 1000 welcome points for this benefit. Worth it if you eat breakfast. Sometimes I take it. Sometimes I don't.

Last edited by ftrichard; Sep 24, 2019 at 12:52 am
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
LM is higher chance to get suite than SGS

SNA for SPG property in BKK are SGS,W
IMO both properties i have 0% chance of all my stay(with out SNA) to get Suite upgrade.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I've stayed at both hotels many times. You've listed several factors.

Transportation: You're going to be spending most of your time in the Silom area. It's easy to get between SGS and Silom on the underground (MRT). The stations are located at SGS and in Silom. Just a few stops between them. OTOH, SGS does add transportation time to your visits to Silom, -- LM is located in Silom.

SNAs: It you're using SNAs, I'd say that your chances of a suite upgrade are near 100% at LM, and only slightly less at SGS.

Breakfast: SGS has a huge breakfast buffet with a wide variety, including western, Indian, Japanese, Thai, fresh fruit, individually cooked steaks, salmon, etc. It's huge, and far superior to LM breakfast options, IMO. LM has more of a normal breakfast buffet. SGS' breakfast buffet is one of the largest I've ever seen. Quality is high, too.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I've stayed at both hotels many times. You've listed several factors.

Transportation: You're going to be spending most of your time in the Silom area. It's easy to get between SGS and Silom on the underground (MRT). The stations are located at SGS and in Silom. Just a few stops between them. OTOH, SGS does add transportation time to your visits to Silom, -- LM is located in Silom.

SNAs: It you're using SNAs, I'd say that your chances of a suite upgrade are near 100% at LM, and only slightly less at SGS.

Breakfast: SGS has a huge breakfast buffet with a wide variety, including western, Indian, Japanese, Thai, fresh fruit, individually cooked steaks, salmon, etc. It's huge, and far superior to LM breakfast options, IMO. LM has more of a normal breakfast buffet. SGS' breakfast buffet is one of the largest I've ever seen. Quality is high, too.
Thanks so much for your insight. I see your name on here frequently as a Bangkok regular. I’ve never tried the buffet at SGS as I’ve always been happy with the salmon and spinach at Rossini’s! I also like the connection to Terminal 21 as well as the fresh juices during the day in The Library. I have Le Meridien booked too but may decide to stick with SGS as the price is good and I’m actually staying on Convent road for the first night anyway (arriving late and no point wasting money on expensive Marriott options, especially with no promotion incentivising me!). And a useful tip re subway/MRT - I had completely forgotten about that option! It must be tough to be lured away from SGS, as I’m finding out!

Finally, if I’ve got SNAs to burn, SGS seems like a better place to use them.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Currently at Le Meridien. It is my first stay at this particular hotel, though I have previously visited other Marriott and non-Marriott properties in town. The overall impression of LM is that it is a very nice hotel. As titanium member I was upgraded to a room on the top floor (I believe it is called a Vista Executive room). No suite upgrade, but this is understandable as this is a busy period and I am staying for 10 days. The room is nice, with a large bathroom with shower and free-standing tub. The bathroom walls can be opened to connect it to the room, and the main TV is visible from the tub. I find the view very nice --- actually nicer than what you get from the 40+th floor of the Marriott Sukhumvit: despite not being quite as high up, the neighborhood is more interesting and there are more landmarks.

I have tried the breakfast (as a benefit) and I think it is good, certainly as good as other buffet breakfasts in similar hotels. It has fresh juices, a noodle station, an egg station, etc. The pastries are not particularly good (for European standards) but I have ye to find a hotel in Bangkok with pastries comparable to what you might find in Paris, Milan, Zurich or Rome. What I especially like of the breakfast is the room, which is bright, airy and surprisingly quiet for its size. I have been to the happy hour and it is also nice: drinks are available (cocktails, mocktails, beer, juices) as well as some canapes from a buffet. I do not particularly like the 4th floor bar where the happy hour normally takes place; on occasion it is moved to the mezzanine and, while smaller, that venue is brighter and more airy. As for food, usually there are 2 cold canapes and 1 warm, plus bread, cheese and butter. I guess one could have a light dinner there, but I do not see the reason as just outside the hotel you will find many inexpensive options for dinner, ranging from street food to Michelin guide "Bib-gourmand" restaurants. The metro station of Sam Yan is 3-5 minutes away on foot, and the Sam Yan market area (with plenty of thai restaurants) just a little further. Other notable landmarks are the Wat Hua Lampong temple (3 minutes walk), and two large shopping mall / restaurant complexes (Chamchuri square and Mirtown) which are actually owned by the nearby Chula University. (on Tuesday and Friday there is a little market inside the campus which is worth checking out). Finally, the BTS is not so far: the Sala Daeng station is about 10 minutes away from the hotel. Perhaps what I appreciate the most about this hotel is its location, which I find more interesting with respect to Sukhumvit road, where many good hotels are located.

The hotel has a swimming pool and a SPA. The pool is nice enough; it is probably about 20m x 8m, which allows to make laps at a leisurely pace. The view is nothing special, but that did not bother me. I find it comparable to the SGS, Westin and Marriott pools. I am told that the Athenee has a substantially nicer pool, so if that is a factor you might want to look into that. At the pool, iced water is complimentary, and there is a bar where drinks can be ordered. Right now the spa has a promotion: 1000 THB (including tax and service) for 1h massage or body scrub. This is quite good value for a hotel spa. I took the massage and found it nice. The spa itself is also nice and well maintained. Of course you can get a massage for half this price just across the street if you are so inclined; I personally preferred the convenience of doing it in the hotel.

The only major drawback (for me) is their policy for laundry. Initially I was offered 2 items per stay. Since I am staying for several days I asked if they could be more flexible, and the offered 5 items per stay (for a 10 day stay). It is fine, but by far the stingiest policy I have encountered at similar properties in Bangkok. This is a place where they could easily improve.

I did not dine here (and I do not plan to do so), as there are just some many great little restaurants in a radius of a few hundred meters. It seems silly to confine myself to the hotel.

Finally, all the staff is very nice, caring and courteous (though this is practically a given in Bangkok).

All in all, I think that this is a very good hotel. Perhaps with some more effort to accommodate Platinum / Titanium it could be a great one --- from my point of view. This is a category 4 hotel, and even when paying cash it can be quite a bit cheaper than the cat. 4 or cat 5 hotels on Sukhumvit. If the area is convenient for you, I would certainly recommend this hotel as an option to keep in mind. If it turns out to be several hundred bahts per night cheaper than SGS / Marriott / Westin (and I presume Athenee), as it is sometimes the case, I would absolutely go for it --- this would more than make up for the shortcomings in their laundry policy.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:04 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by alesfo
What I especially like of the breakfast is the room, which is bright, airy and surprisingly quiet for its size.
+1 on the breakfast space on the second floor. Lots of sun, nice and open, yet doesn't get loud at all. Another nice feature is that they have coat/valet stand at each table so you don't have to hang your blazer/jacket on your chair.

I have been to the happy hour and it is also nice: drinks are available (cocktails, mocktails, beer, juices) as well as some canapes from a buffet. I do not particularly like the 4th floor bar where the happy hour normally takes place; on occasion it is moved to the mezzanine and, while smaller, that venue is brighter and more airy.
+1 I quite enjoyed the happy hour. Pretty extensive bar, good bartender who would start to make me experimental drinks after a few days of getting to know what I liked and didn't like. (I made it clear on the outset that I was willing to be a guinea pig and was willing to get pushed out of my comfort zone.) But I agree with you - I wasn't a fan of the dark 4th floor bar setting.

Finally, all the staff is very nice, caring and courteous (though this is practically a given in Bangkok).
+1, though as you mentioned, the service is pretty much to be expected across most good properties in Thailand. Morning and evening front desk staff always were quick with a smile and greeted by name. The concierge was extremely helpful and kind, from helping me plan my visit to arranging for doormen to store and deliver my bags. I was walked to my room by a bellman, and another staff member came by after about 15 minutes to check in and give me a 5 minute tour of every feature of my suite (lights, phone, coffee maker, window shades, laundry service, etc.). The staff at the happy hour were wonderful as well, remembering my drink preferences, giving me local area suggestions, and checking-in the next day to see how my excursions were.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
This hotel is due to reopen June 5, I wonder how likely that is
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
This hotel is due to reopen June 5, I wonder how likely that is
Hotel is open again since yesterday July 18th and the Le Meridien is one of the hotels owned by a group that has multiple properties including the Athenee, Marriott Marquis and Hilton Sukhumvit. They sent all guests to the Athenee as overflow during the last few months and shut down.
margarita girl and ftrichard like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.