Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:50 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Ditto re the great food at Bamboo Chic and the friendly and efficient service.

My only qualm was being subjected to the usual systemic problem of "fictiional" upgrades on check-in. Despite their admission of their current low occupancy rates, as well as my finding online availability of regular suites and the lower-category "circular rooms", I was not upgraded to either of them. Yet the check in agent was brave enough to claim that I was "upgraded" to a Vista room in the corner. When I explained that this was the same category that I originally booked, the lady mentioned my "long stay" of 19 days as a justification for the absence of the upgrade. Funnily enough, the Vista room they allocated to me was not even ready at the time (11 am).

A call to the wonderful SPG customer service in Singapore promptly solved the problem, and I got the Avantec suite.

I really look forward to the day when we do not need to resort external help to get our promised SPG entitlements.

Originally Posted by freofan
I agree with the excellent reviews posted above for this hotel.

I am currently staying for my second time this week.

Check in was extremely friendly and relatively efficient... Door staff very helpful polite and quick to bring the bags.

Upgraded to 1 bed suite (is it called avantec or something?) both stays - great rooms, spacious and modern as you'd expect for a new hotel, with a thai twist. Reminds me of the Westin Chaoyang Beijing.

Personally I love the location as I'm a (mostly) leisure traveller and the nightlife of the patpong district (and silom soi 4/2) I find exciting and fun!

Bamboo chic is very chic indeed and the quality of the nibbles provided are far superior to most exec clubs. In my case sushi, octopus salad and something else which escapes me.

Hand written notes from whom I assume to be the GM are included at check in - nice touch.

LOVE this property! Favourite SPG property at present.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:38 am

Can actually only agree with all previous posters:

Platinum Benefits are great. Hotel is modern, chic and very nice. The surrounding is not too great but it worked fine for my recent stay.

I received upgrade to a fantastic suite.

The fact that they print your SPG point status on the Instant Award leaflet was a first (for me).

Also the shower with two full separate showers inside was interesting.

I posted some photos on my Flickr account.

Included the Instant Award chart in case someone wondered.

Regards
Ham
Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hamurabi2008
The fact that they print your SPG point status on the Instant Award leaflet was a first (for me).
If you are refering to your points balance, its pretty standard for hotels that offer instant awards.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:26 am

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
For my next stay in Bangkok I plan to stay at Le Meridien. Though my flight to upcountry departs at 6 am I will leave the hotel at about 4:30 am.

Is it difficult to get a taxi at that late/early time, that is willing to get me to the airport with the taximeter on?

Or do I better just stay at Novotel Suvarnabhimi Airport simple to avoid any trouble with a taxi?

P.S. yes ... there are much smarter things in the world than to book an early flight like mine ...
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
no problem at all with taxis there. the staff of the Le Meridien are extremely proactive when it comes to getting you a meter taxi
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
And an English Speaking Taxi Driver, with a new taxi... That is what the Front Desk girl who walked us all the way out the door, flagged down, sending a couple on their way before picking our taxi.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
I don't know if linking you up to another site is a 'no-no' but if I so may kindly provide my review of the LM BKK (warning - alot of photos though)
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: most of them
I arrive BKK around 7 AM next Wednesday. How likely is it I will be able to check in at LM when I arrive quite early in the AM? I am staying on a prepaid rate in a basic "Vista" room. I am an SPG member with no status. Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Krisflyer Gold
Was here last weekend for 3 nights. It was our anniversary and I mentioned our hopes for a suite when making the booking. Arrived - no suites available but we get the circular bed room (we'd booked the cheapest room). Research that morning showed 9 suites available and only one circular bed. Didn't bother checking up again when we got to the room. I hate making a scene over things like that - British reserve.

There was a very nice cake waiting for us (saying Happy Honeymoon but at least they made the effort!) and the wireless internet was free - we got a passcode but that wasn't necessary. No problems with the wireless connection.

The room is small or feels small compared to other SPG BKK standard rooms. No views to speak of (22nd floor facing North, I'd guess). Comfy bed - softer mattress than the Athenee, thank the Lord.

Great cocktails in the lounge (Spicy Mohito - excellent) but if you don't like sushi there's not much else to munch on (spicy cashews are available). They also serve a great breakfast - almost as good as the SGS.

Very friendly staff and helpful concierge.

Main downsides for us were the small room, the terrible noises/musak they play in the lifts, the lobby, the bar, at breakfast, and the generally gloomy lighting. Some say it's cool and hip, we say pay more and stay at the SGS.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I arrive BKK around 7 AM next Wednesday. How likely is it I will be able to check in at LM when I arrive quite early in the AM?
If I were you, I would email the hotel's reservation desk and let them know of your early arrival. Given that you have no status and that you have a basic room booked on a promptional rate, it may be a good idea to sound more polite than to come across as 'demanding' (FTers feel free to dispute me on this). Then give a call to the SPG hotline and ask them to help you let the hotel know that you will be arriving at 7 AM and any arrangements made to ready the room ASAP will be much appreciated.

Hotels are usually very accomodating to such requests unless of course they are very packed (with the exception of Westin Seoul, the only hotel in my experience that downright rejected this although they did not appear very packed).
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I arrive BKK around 7 AM next Wednesday. How likely is it I will be able to check in at LM when I arrive quite early in the AM? I am staying on a prepaid rate in a basic "Vista" room. I am an SPG member with no status. Thanks
I agree with JaeJaez's recommendations in general.

I would add that the hotels in BKK often have very early arriving guests due to the arrival times of international flights and some check in times are just too early. For example, I was understandably told to book the extra night for a 4 AM arrival.

I would suggest building in all of the wait and travel time when requesting the room following the steps laid out by Jaejaez. I just think there may be a cutoff for them and requesting an early checkin for 9AM (and 10 AM may be the safest) has a much stronger chance of being cleared as a 7 AM.

The computers at hotels must have a time when the next day "starts" and I would not be surprised if it is 8 or 9. Putting cushion time for your arrival through customs, luggage pickup, transport time and even possible delay may be helpful. If everyone does what they need to do and clears a room for a 9 AM or 10 AM arrival, there is a good chance it will be available for you when you arrive even if you get there a bit early.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by I Claudius
Main downsides... ...

...the terrible noises/musak they play in the lifts, the lobby, the bar, at breakfast, and the generally gloomy lighting. Some say it's cool and hip, we say pay more and stay at the SGS.
This is a problem in both of their hotels (Le Meridien Bangkok & Chiang Mai)

The music is supposed to be quiet background music. But the people regulating the volume have obviously never been to any of the other Le Meridians worldwide. In this hotel the music is loud and bothersome. In the elevator, it's painfully loud.

Here's a test, and an example...

In the elevator, once I've exited to my floor, from meters down the hall (until the doors close) I can still hear it. In fact, I find it still piercingly loud meters from the elevator. Maybe the management can try going to the room levels, and listen to the volume (elevator noise) from 10 feet back.

here are the sounds from the Starwood site...
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemer...html?id=STRUCK
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
This is a problem in both of their hotels (Le Meridien Bangkok & Chiang Mai)

The music is supposed to be quiet background music. But the people regulating the volume have obviously never been to any of the other Le Meridians worldwide. In this hotel the music is loud and bothersome. In the elevator, it's painfully loud.

Here's a test, and an example...

In the elevator, once I've exited to my floor, from meters down the hall (until the doors close) I can still hear it. In fact, I find it still piercingly loud meters from the elevator. Maybe the management can try going to the room levels, and listen to the volume (elevator noise) from 10 feet back.

here are the sounds from the Starwood site...
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemer...html?id=STRUCK
I stayed at the LM Vienna a few weeks ago and had similar issues.

The music wasn't as loud as the LM Bankgok, but it was totally disconnected from the ambiance of this majestic city.

I don't want to hear crashing waves first thing in the morning and galloping horses before bedtime.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:14 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
The music is supposed to be quiet background music.
The music is horrible. I have yet to meet anyone that likes it. At some properties it is just totally out of place, as is much of the branding. Le Meridien Pune and Le Meridien Bangalore are two examples. The run-down, old-school style of the places makes the music and the black/white branding sound and look out of place. This is not music for an old elevator. In new elevators it is also annoying regardless of volume.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by I Claudius
Main downsides for us were the small room, the terrible noises/musak they play in the lifts, the lobby, the bar, at breakfast, and the generally gloomy lighting. Some say it's cool and hip, we say pay more and stay at the SGS.
I sit on the other side of the fence and think the whole music vibe at this LM is trendy! I thought the music in The Latest Recipe was cool and the volume was perfect

I know its a subjective thing, which is probably directly proportional to age, I'm 29yo fwiw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.