Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin BWI (Baltimore) airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:42 pm

Booked 7 colleagues overnight at this hotel and found that it exceeded my expectations. I was able to snare a great AA rate, and had others who were not AA members to book using another special rate for a few more $$$. Traveling to the hotel was difficult, as AA canceled our JFK-BWI flight because of the hurricane winds and rain that occurred so we toughed it out on Amtrak-1 hr 45 minutes late on arrival into NYP, and then 2 mechanicals on the trip down to BWI lasting over six hours. A far cry from the Shinikansen! !!! My room was of adequate size, but as previously mentioned, there appear to be no suites at this hotel.

Based on recommendations on this board, we had the Westin van take us to B & W, and my guys are still talking about their crab cakes. I ended up being assigned a room on the 7th floor, and entrance to this floor required a coded key for entrance on the elevator. However, I joined my colleagues for breakfast, as my room included breakfast in the lobby dining room. The front desk staff were very customer friendly, but when we needed a taxi to our place of business about 7 miles away, the hotel asked a man who was at the front desk if he could take us. Turned out we were mislead, as I thought he was a Westin employee, but he turned out to be a limo driver who appeared to have access to the Starwood computers at the desk, and asked the staff to help us with various functions. I was surprised when when he pulled out a charge sheet for $70 for the 7 mile trip.

The $70 limo fare ultimately seemed like a bargin, as we waited for more than 80 minutes for a cab to return to the BWI train station!!!

Buffet breakfast was well priced, but a couple of my NYC colleagues complained that the bagels were not fresh.

All in all, a fine addition to the Westin hotel chain.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I'm not a fan

Brief stay this past Friday night.

Check In: Late arrival at almost midnight. 3 agents standing at the desk, one on the phone. All three felt the need to listen in to the conversation about airport shuttle pickup while we stood there. It literally took about five minute for someone to step away and check us in. I asked about the lounge, and was told it was closed. I asked about breakfast vouchers, and the agent was very unsure and hesitant to give me vouchers (even though I had called in advance to confirm that vouchers are given on the weekend and I was on a AAA rate that included breakfast).

Room: 726. The whole floor (well really, the whole property) was really musty and dank. My SO is a little sensitive to mold/allergens and both of us had red eyes/sore throats after our stay. Maybe we should has changed rooms, but the lobby and all the common spaces we were in were the same, so we didn't. The AC in the room had a compressor that rattled every time it went on (about every 45 minutes). We wanted to change rooms at that point, but apparently the property was sold out (didn't feel that way though). As others have said, the rooms are fairly small. And I don't understand this, but I see this at many Westins- the doors are cheap and plain (and usually painted in a very ugly color).

Breakfast: The buffet breakfast was decent, but I don't think I would ever pay for it. Fair amount of pastries/bagels. Kudos for the great selection of fresh fruit and granola. The waffle station was nice. Lots of ingredients at the omelette station, but the cook didn't understand how to make one without a ladle of butter. I asked for mine dry without butter, but he still put a ladle of butter in. I asked him to redo it with some spray, but with the 20 second spray I think I might have been better with the butter.

We left in a hurry because of the not so great air quality, so I can't comment on the other amenities. Having stayed at the Sheraton next door, if I ever return, it will be there.
Old May 15, 2011, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'll be up at this property this week for work

While the post just prior to this one addresses Friday night/Sat a.m. club lounge/B-F issues..

Can anyone update whether the prior comments from two+ years ago are still accurate or post updates to the CL?

thanks
Old May 15, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
As a Plat, I stay here quite often on business. Im usually just in for one night and have never had any problems. Good rooms, decent club lounge, nice staff. No issues at all.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Really awful experience. I checked in and eventually switched to the aLoft BWI instead because I was worried about too many things.

IT systems down for at least three days. Dorky guy in an ill fitting suit and topsiders checking people in by writing down email addresses, SPG numbers and names on a legal pad. Running credit cards on carbon forms and no security for any of the information anywhere. No ability to print folios at checkout or guarantee points post to accounts. Reason for the system being down? They said it was a modem. Nonsense.

Room had no coffee cups but instead had plastic drinking cups in the coffee makers. Bad idea.

Non name soap, shampoo and conditioner. Reason given? They ran out of Westin supplies. So why did they run out? And if they did run out was it really faster to get no name product faster than Westin product? Couldn't they borrow a few cases from another Westin? Seemed like BS as well.

Shuttle to BWi only scheduled to run 4 AM to 7 AM. Was told to be in the lobby at 8AM to be sure to get to the airport at 9AM. Heck, I could drive from DC to BWI in that amount of time.

Switched to the aLoft at BWI. Easy check in. Systems working. Shuttle running every 15 minutes in the AM until 10:30. Got a $10 F&B voucher upon check in. Standard products in bathroom. Cranking A/C. Folio under the door in the AM. Nice kids working the front desk. Night and day experiences.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Silver
Stayed here a month ago for 2 nights on a Priceline stay.

Received room on 6th floor. However it would appear that I was granted club lounge access because my key opened the locked 7th floor.

Club lounge is nothing special.

Pool and fitness areas are pretty nice.

Overall, a pretty good hotel!
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
I had a fairly poor overnight experience here as well. Here's the excerpt of an e-mail I sent to the GM. I never got a reply:

Dear Mr. GM,

My name is Mackieman; I am an SPG Platinum Elite member (member
number: XXXXXXXXXXX) and I stayed at the Westin BWI on the evening of
September 4, 2011. While the property itself is lovely and
comfortable, my wife and I experienced a number of service lapses
during our stay that I wanted to make you aware of.

Firstly, my wife and I arrived at the BWI Amtrak train station on a
train from Washington D.C. where we spent two days on vacation. As the
train pulled into the station, I called the hotel to request that the
house shuttle pick us up at the train station. My first three calls to
the property went unanswered with more than ten rings each. On my
fourth attempt, the call was answered and I related to the person who
answered that my wife and I were at the train station and would
appreciate the shuttle to pick us up. He inquired as to whether or not
it was the light rail station; I clarified that no, it was the Amtrak
station. He said, "Ok, light rail, someone will be there shortly." and
hung up. We waited over a half hour and finally took the airport bus
to the International terminal and paid for a cab to the hotel.

Secondly, upon arrival at the hotel, there was one agent at the front
desk who was helping another guest. While we waited, two other hotel
employees, dressed in suits, walked through the lobby and into the
office behind the front desk two separate times, never once
acknowledging us or attempting to help even though the existing front
desk agent was clearly on the phone attempting to help the other guest
with an extended issue. A simple acknowledgement that someone would be
with us shortly would've sufficed; instead, we were ignored.

Thirdly, when we got to the front desk agent, he began the standard
greeting and informed us of the various amenities available to us.
This included that the hotel lounge was open this evening and would be
open the next morning for breakfast. Upon arriving on the seventh
floor, we found that the lounge was closed with a sign explaining that
the lounge was closed this evening and tomorrow morning for breakfast
due to the holiday. I assume that this was done due to low occupancy
over the holiday weekend, and it is understandable. What is not
understandable, however, is why the front desk agent did not know
this.

Fourthly, during the check in process, the agent related that we were
in a king room on the club floor. I inquired as to whether or not
there was a standard suite available for the platinum elite upgrade,
per the SPG terms and services. He related that we were already on the
club floor. I asked him to clarify that there were no suites available
and, without looking in the room database on the computer, he stated
that there were no suites available. When I arrived in our room on the
club floor, I checked the Westin website and saw that there were
suites available for booking. I've attached a PDF print out of this
availability. My understanding of section 4C.5.a of the SPG Terms and
Services is that a standard suite should've been automatically granted
due to my status within the loyalty program, and certainly upon my
request. Instead, I am forced to conclude that I was simply lied to by
the front desk agent.

Fifthly, and of least importance, a call to have two extra pillows
delivered to the room was ignored after the request was taken.

On a note of praise, the kitchen staff was on their game and the room
service meal we had as well as breakfast the next morning were
excellent, and the service was great as well. Additionally, the front
desk agent during our checkout was prompt and helpful, and the
gentleman driving the shuttle from the hotel to the airport provided
professional and happy service. Our checkout was far better than our
check in.

All in all, while our room was comfortable and we immensely enjoyed
both of the meals we had during our stay, the series of service issues
we experienced has left a sour taste on an otherwise excellent
excursion. I wanted to bring these issues to your attention so that
other guests can enjoy the level of service the Westin brand is known
for. I appreciate your time and understanding, Mr. GM. Please let
me know if you have any questions or need additional information.

Thanks,

Mackieman
Not a peep from anyone. I have a feeling this is one of those GMs who doesn't care for the fact that he has to deal with the SPG program at his property. I stayed at the Sheraton next door and while it's not as nice, the staff was friendlier at the desk. I dunno what I'll do if I'm ever at BWI again, as the 4P property looked to be a renovated Motel 6 from the outside.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
As an update to the above, I saw I got 500 points from the property as a, "Service Promise." Still no word from the property themselves.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I'm a plat and I stay here occasionally. In fact, I am here right now.

I like this hotel. Staff is always friendly, rooms are good, the workout facilities are very good, and I just had an awesome omelet at the omelet bar for breakfast. Never had a problem here.

My only gripe is that as a plat, I was put on the 2nd floor staring at an exhaust vent. However, no complaints as I booked the room late night and arrived late night (the same night). All is good at this place in my opinion.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Five day stay during May. A stone’s throw away from the airport, but impossible to walk (so drive or take the shuttle). Although people had expressed problems with the shuttle, the shuttle for me took 5 mins to arrive after calling, and at the end of the stay was ready at the desk to take me back to the airport with no delay.

Check-in: No suites at the hotel, but upgraded to the club floor. Checkin was fast and efficient, and front desk quickly provided me with some extra toiletries that I had forgotten. Lobby is impressive and really nails the feel and spirit of a Westin – you can almost forget that its an airport location

Room: Room was clean and comfortable. Heavenly shower and heavenly bed. Very roomy in both the bedroom and bathroom. Housekeeping was consistent. Room showed only minor signs of wear. Ample plugs by the bed too, which as a business traveler was welcome

Club Lounge: Really nice lounge. Breakfast and dinner service is ample. Extra kudos for dinner – there was curry dish one night that really was great. Very easy to have a legitimate high quality full meal. Beer and wine is available at discount prices. Only downside is that the lounge is not open 24 hours, so you can’t grab a water or soda if you get in late. Attendants weren’t overly engaging, though this wasn’t really a bad thing

Restaurant: Had the breakfast downstairs a couple of times. Nice buffet, standard fare with an omelet station – omelet was really good.

Exercise room: Exercise room is extremely impressive. Large, high ceilings, spacious. Multiple treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, free weights, and machines. Ample space for stretching, etc. One of the nicer exercise rooms of any hotel I’ve stayed at, and there was never a wait for anything.

Check-out: Easy and quick. Shuttle was ready to take me to airport immediately

Overall, a great airport hotel. Hotel grounds are nicely maintained, and there is lovely common areas both inside and outside the hotel. Everything about the hotel was inviting, and as long as they keep their shuttle running on time, itll be my go to hotel in the BWI area.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Suite question

Can anyone describe a 1br suite at this hotel? I can't find any photos or details on the hotel site nor anywhere on line??? But I applied a suite upgrade to my upcoming reservation and it was granted.

I will be attending a conference there with about 15-20 colleagues and was hoping to have a big enough room to host a little 'party' one evening. So I'm wondering if this suite is big enough and has the furniture to support it?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I don't recall this property having suites. The Sheraton does, but they are not large enough for Moore than 6-8 people
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by etsmyers
I don't recall this property having suites. The Sheraton does, but they are not large enough for Moore than 6-8 people

Well apparently they do:

Good news – your Suite Night Award request has been confirmed and an upgraded room is awaiting your arrival. Your upgraded room details are below:
One-bedroom suite, non-smoking: King Bed, Non-smoking, 700 sq ft / 65 mē, Heavenly Bed, Conference Suite Non-smoking, High-speed Internet, Ergonomic Chair/large Desk

I'm figuring they just took 2 connecting rooms and made one a 'living room'.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Local news just reported a carbon monoxide issue at the hotel and the hotel has been evacuated.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/02/16/westin-hotel-at-bwi-evacuated-due-to-carbon-monoxide/
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I just checked out of that hotel on Saturday. I did happen to drive by it on Sunday night after I heard the news - and it seemed everyone was able to return to their room as the lights were on in various rooms and no one was outside.

Waiting to hear an update on those hospitalized and the cause. Hope all will be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.