Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: FindAWay
Wiki Link
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.


Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Sep 21, 17, 3:06 am
  #2356  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Whateverist, Starwood LTP, Marriot Platinum (SPG merge)
Posts: 2,124
Originally Posted by superpilot21 View Post
just wondering... If i transfer points from my spg to marriott accounts does that count towards lifetime status?
spg -> ual

ual -> mr
JackE is offline  
Old Sep 21, 17, 12:25 pm
  #2357  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: GEG
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by mav View Post
Can you please direct me to where it says this? I am a member of both, with most of my points with Marriott so I am trying to clarify before moving anything.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#do-...-qualification

Answered "No" in the 16th question under "Loyalty Programs".
dgreen12 is online now  
Old Sep 21, 17, 3:18 pm
  #2358  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
spg -> ual

ual -> mr
I hadn't thought of that. Pretty pricey way to buy lifetime points though!
maracle is offline  
Old Sep 21, 17, 5:33 pm
  #2359  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: EWR
Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
spg -> ual

ual -> mr


What does this mean? If you have SPG Points why wouldn't you just convert them to MR? Why do you need UA?
icydog is offline  
Old Sep 21, 17, 6:09 pm
  #2360  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: GEG
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
What does this mean? If you have SPG Points why wouldn't you just convert them to MR? Why do you need UA?
Conversion from SPG to MR doesn't increase MR lifetime points (at the time of transfer).

Laundering them through UA presumably does, although there's a pretty severe haircut in doing so:
  • 20k SPG to UA = 12,500 UA miles = 12,500 MR points
  • 20k SPG to MR = 60,000 MR points
dgreen12 is online now  
Old Sep 22, 17, 12:56 am
  #2361  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Programs: Hyatt Whateverist, Starwood LTP, Marriot Platinum (SPG merge)
Posts: 2,124
Originally Posted by dgreen12 View Post
Conversion from SPG to MR doesn't increase MR lifetime points (at the time of transfer).

Laundering them through UA presumably does, although there's a pretty severe haircut in doing so:
  • 20k SPG to UA = 12,500 UA miles = 12,500 MR points
  • 20k SPG to MR = 60,000 MR points
It gets even more interesting because you can run the 12,500 through the wringer again! Eventually, the loss in points will approach 100%, but the lifetime points will keep going up and up. You're buying lifetime points using points.

What this really demonstrates is the folly of SPG -> UAL.
JackE is offline  
Old Sep 22, 17, 9:38 am
  #2362  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: GEG
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
You're buying lifetime points using points.
It might turn out to be "You're accelerating the acquisition of lifetime points using points" as I'm hopeful that SPG points will at some point in time be added to lifetime totals.

Last edited by dgreen12; Sep 22, 17 at 1:00 pm Reason: Brevity is the soul of wit
dgreen12 is online now  
Old Sep 22, 17, 3:27 pm
  #2363  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM, MM, NR; HH Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Posts: 11,366
Originally Posted by dgreen12 View Post
It might turn out to be "You're accelerating the acquisition of lifetime points using points" as I'm hopeful that SPG points will at some point in time be added to lifetime totals.
Even when they do that the extra points you laundered through UA will remain.
sethb is offline  
Old Sep 22, 17, 11:12 pm
  #2364  
mav
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States
Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Posts: 166
Originally Posted by dgreen12 View Post
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#do-...-qualification

Answered "No" in the 16th question under "Loyalty Programs".
Thank you for your help
dgreen12 likes this.
mav is offline  
Old Sep 23, 17, 7:32 am
  #2365  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Posts: 3,609
Is there anyway to transfer air Canada miles to mr?
lingua101 is offline  
Old Sep 23, 17, 11:26 am
  #2366  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,643
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
Is there anyway to transfer air Canada miles to mr?
Probably not, and even if so, probably at a very awful value.

Very few airlines have ways to transfer to very few hotels. Most airlines cannot transfer to any hotel, and most hotels don't have any airlines that can transfer to them.

Marriott has very special relationship with United:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...rtnership.html
and so just because transfer is possible between United and Marriott does not mean it's possible between another airline and Marriott.

Meanwhile, keep in mind that this whole issue of needing lifetime points might disappear in the next year or so. SPG doesn't have such a requirement for its lifetime program, so it's not clear whether the merged Marriott+Starwood program to debut about a year from now will still require points for lifetime status or not.

So don't go overboard wasting value transferring points if you're not going to reach your desired lifetime status in less than a year.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 23, 17 at 11:33 am
sdsearch is offline  
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:58 am
  #2367  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 244
Lifetime Status ??? Strategy ???

Ok, since I have to qualify for SPG Platinum status annually I was thinking perhaps it would make more sense to apply a lot of my business spending on a Marriott card and go for Lifetime Status, even if it takes a couple years.

1- Does/will Marriott Lifetime status apply to SPG my SPG account. I know SPG status does not give the same Marriott status but want to verify that in fact it does work Marriott to SPG.

2- Any rumor as to what will happen down the road when the 2 programs finally do merge?

3- Would it be stupid to apply a chunk of Chase Ultimate Reward points toward meeting Marriott Lifetime Status point requirements?
toddreg is offline  
Old Sep 28, 17, 11:39 am
  #2368  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 24,283
Blanket statement: No one knows for sure what will happen in the future, and when. But...

It's almost certain there will be one program. And if it's going to take "a couple years", all questions about matching status across programs is likely moot. Today, status does match across programs, so the statement "I know SPG status does not give the same Marriott status " is not correct. Other than the fact that the tiers may have different names - they match like-for-like.

Lots of rumors, no facts.

I would guess that earnings toward LT in both programs will be factored into any combined program. Just be sure you need them - you need both points and nights for all LT levels, and likely will in the future. I know that points was usually the last item folks hit long ago, but seem to recall points was much easier to hit these days than nights (unless you're staying at $90 properties). It's been a while since I worried about it, so just check.
CPRich is online now  
Old Sep 28, 17, 1:02 pm
  #2369  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,562
I would suggest looking at Marriott's official FAQ, clicking on all questions that have "lifetime" in them.

Originally Posted by toddreg View Post
1- Does/will Marriott Lifetime status apply to SPG my SPG account. I know SPG status does not give the same Marriott status but want to verify that in fact it does work Marriott to SPG.
As long as Rewards and SPG are separate programs, achieving lifetime status in one program does not officially result in the same lifetime elite status in the other. However, due to elite status linking/matching, your status will be the higher of the two programs. So, for example, lifetime Platinum in the Rewards program means you'll never drop below SPG Platinum for the remainder of the SPG program.

Originally Posted by toddreg View Post
2- Any rumor as to what will happen down the road when the 2 programs finally do merge?
The way I read the FAQ, achieving lifetime status in either program will provide lifetime status in the combined program.

However, nobody knows yet what the elite tiers and benefits will be in the combined program. My guess is that it will be a lot like the current Rewards program, but there could be substantial adjustments to benefits, and possibly at least one additional tier.

Originally Posted by toddreg View Post
3- Would it be stupid to apply a chunk of Chase Ultimate Reward points toward meeting Marriott Lifetime Status point requirements?
I don't know how Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfers work.

Be careful in assuming that transferred points count toward lifetime status. For example, transferring SPG points to the Rewards program does not increase your lifetime points.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 28, 17 at 11:37 pm
Horace is online now  
Old Sep 28, 17, 4:51 pm
  #2370  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 24,283
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
As long as Rewards and SPG are separate programs, achieving lifetime status in one program does officially result in the same lifetime elite status in the other.
Are you missing "n't"?
CPRich is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread