Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was also at the MS same time as Fizzer (see my post above) and it was my worst stay there. I'm going back to HNL in April, and will stay 4 nights at the Sheraton and only 1 night at the MS as I don't trust them to give me a good experience.

And the reason I'm staying one night is because I really like the lounge.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the MS. I always stay here when I schedule a day or two layover in HNL on my way or returning from somewhere to Asia. I love the lounge so understand your sentiment, yet I return because of the history of the MS hotel, watching all the Japanese weddings, enjoying the rocking chairs on the front porch, and the top floor rooms with a view of the ocean is where I always land. Perhaps frequency is the great determiner.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platiumum Lifetime, Star Alliance Gold
Just returned, 9 night stay. The hotel proved as advertised. No go on my SNA or my 24 though they did eventually bend and let me check out with at 7pm as sought. Corner suite lower floor in the new tower. Lounge and property feel makes this a great SPG property, if in Waikiki, would have no issue coming back
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I just completed a 2 night stay at MS. I've stayed at the MS about 3-4 times in the last two years. Very nice hotel but agree with many of the posters that it's ALWAYS packed. Good for a business stay but not sure it's relaxing then again not sure any place in Waikiki is good if you want relaxing...

Anyhow, I'm having an issue with my stay. I checked out on 3 April but each morning the reservation shows back up in my SPG account extending the stay by a day. I called Starwood last night and they seemed to work with the hotel to close out the stay and they re-sent my check. Now this morning the reservation is showing up again. Has anyone run into this problem? The Starwood folks indicate that they can't do anything about the reservation and that I need to work with the hotel.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Concorde28
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the MS. I always stay here when I schedule a day or two layover in HNL on my way or returning from somewhere to Asia. I love the lounge so understand your sentiment, yet I return because of the history of the MS hotel, watching all the Japanese weddings, enjoying the rocking chairs on the front porch, and the top floor rooms with a view of the ocean is where I always land. Perhaps frequency is the great determiner.
I'm back there this week (6th stay in the past 12 months) and my SNA cleared this time. Only booked one night though. Other 4 nights are at the SW.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was also at the MS same time as Fizzer (see my post above) and it was my worst stay there. I'm going back to HNL in April, and will stay 4 nights at the Sheraton and only 1 night at the MS as I don't trust them to give me a good experience.

And the reason I'm staying one night is because I really like the lounge.
Had an excellent stay at the MS this week. Used an SNA to upgrade to a nice Banyan suite (X29), much larger than the one I had last time, asked for and received a 6 pm check-out, and the lounge was outstanding as usual (much better than Sheraton Waikiki's IMO due to lack of children running around). Also love the afternoon popcorn! As long as you are prepared to claim pool chairs at 7 am, all is good.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Had an excellent stay at the MS this week. ..............and the lounge was outstanding as usual ............
Breakfast in the lounge no longer includes the salad, cheese platter or hard boiled eggs. And it's pineapple OR papaya each day - not both. Enjoy the powdered scrambled eggs and processed deli meats while they last. I don't even bother going to the lounge for breakfast anymore.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clublounger
Breakfast in the lounge no longer includes the salad, cheese platter or hard boiled eggs. And it's pineapple OR papaya each day - not both. Enjoy the powdered scrambled eggs and processed deli meats while they last. I don't even bother going to the lounge for breakfast anymore.
It was papaya and cantaloupe while I was there, and I love the bread pudding for breakfast. Eating on the terrace is a big plus for me.

Actually, the evening is when I spend the most time in the lounge. I really like edamame (since I'm a vegetarian) and I enjoy the peacefulness of the lounge at the Moana as opposed to the Sheraton which is always too loud for me.

The fresh popped popcorn in the afternoon is another bonus.

A chacun son gout!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
........ I love the bread pudding for breakfast. ............
The fresh popped popcorn in the afternoon is another bonus.
Lucky you.....apparently no blood sugar issues.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Had an excellent stay at the MS this week. Used an SNA to upgrade to a nice Banyan suite (X29), much larger than the one I had last time, asked for and received a 6 pm check-out, and the lounge was outstanding as usual (much better than Sheraton Waikiki's IMO due to lack of children running around). Also love the afternoon popcorn! As long as you are prepared to claim pool chairs at 7 am, all is good.
I checked out of the Sheraton Waikiki after 1 night of a 7 night stay because I just couldn't get to grips with the tiny room. It is otherwise a nice hotel in a Vegas type way but it is always packed. I have never had a SNA succeed there and there is little value to being a Plat if I just pay for a suite from the get go.

I am spending 2 nights at the MS before heading to the RH so I can compare all the properties I would consider staying in. I had a choice of room upgrades (no suites available sadly) and opted for a Penthouse double/double. You could pretty much fit the Sheraton Waikiki room into the bathroom here. I love the much more tranquil vibe of both the club and the whole property. It is a class act. The huge room with outdoor terrace really makes a difference even though the view is better in the SW cupboard style rooms.

Only the relatively poor pool lets this place down the SW wins hands down on the pool front. I do like however the much more plentiful supply of umbrellas etc. around the pool. I shall be sorry to leave and wish I had stayed here for the rest of my trip. I have had some bad experiences really with the Westin brand but this place is great.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond
Debating on using my PLAT SNA for my Westin stay in early December. I cannot find a Banyan Suite mentioned on the hotel site. Is it just a Banyan Classic Ocean room basically? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by jredmond02
Debating on using my PLAT SNA for my Westin stay in early December. I cannot find a Banyan Suite mentioned on the hotel site. Is it just a Banyan Classic Ocean room basically? Thanks in advance!
I believe the Banyan Classic Ocean rooms offer the best unobstructed views from the Banyan Wing. I have never stayed enough to earn SNA, but have stayed at this property many times dating back to when it was a Sheraton. They used to be more generous with the Platinum upgrade to suites but as of a couple years ago they only upgrade to Tower Premier Ocean View Rooms. Maybe with a SNA you can get one of the xx95/xx96 full ocean view suites in the Tower wing. If indeed you can the xx95 suites offer a view of Diamond Head.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Have you stayed here before? I'm just curious as it is unlike any Westin I've ever been to. I had a Banyan room and it was CALLED an Ocean View but the Banyan tree was in the way of the view. Also, the balcony was shared, the rooms were old and my room had a terrible odor. I was there to celebrate a very special occasion but once I saw the "upgrade" they gave me, I cancelled the celebration. They took me from a tower ocean view and "upgraded" me to this Banyan room. The bathroom was one of the few in the Banyan area with a bath tub, which I was grateful for. I had specified in my notes that I needed a tub and most of their Banyan rooms don't have them. If you like things simple, though, the Banyan room was really sparse. I was told I was in a larger Banyan room but it was no substitute for a modern room, IMO. I was upset as I had so hoped for a suite UG, but I would've been happier in ANY other room.

I don't want to change anyone's mind who has already been there and doesn't mind the older section, but don't count on much of a view. Also the pool is small and old, and if it rains there is a bad odor and puddles all over the outdoor restaurant. I didn't care much for the lounge either, as I am not fond of Asian food. I didn't see any kids when I was there but it can happen at any property. Sheraton Waikiki had a much nicer lounge, IMO, where you can grab water or soda and the best view of Diamond Head I've ever seen. It's also much more modern.

I know Sheraton Waikiki is harder to book (I had to book a month in advance to get my dates) but if you CAN get it, maybe your SNAs would apply better there? If my "upgrade" was to a room in the older part of the hotel with a shared balcony & no sight of water unless you lay down on said balcony, I can't imagine what a downgrade would've been! Maybe the tower rooms are nicer? I'm heading back to Honolulu at the end of the month and I booked Sheraton Waikiki with no hesitation. When I switched from Westin to Sheraton last trip, it was like going from Hell to Heaven. But that's just MY opinion. Perhaps if you got a suite at Westin it wouldn't have to be the Banyan area? I met a couple and their friends at the pool who had paid extra to be moved from the Banyan rooms. They weren't all happy with their rooms and complained about the pool, but they did say that their new rooms were much nicer than the Banyan ones.

It's difficult b/c the hotel can't do anything about the tree and that keeps them from providing a nice view from those rooms, and also keeps them from expanding the pool area. It's okay if you're into simplicity and the view doesn't matter and you don't mind a pool as old as dirt, but if you have a shot at Sheraton Waikiki, I'd strongly recommend trying there. If you're set on Westin, do look around for another area. That Banyan section is just not worth the time, money, or trouble. I can't speak to the tower there, but I've heard it's nice. Good Luck!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thaliajen
Have you stayed here before? I'm just curious as it is unlike any Westin I've ever been to. I had a Banyan room and it was CALLED an Ocean View but the Banyan tree was in the way of the view. Also, the balcony was shared, the rooms were old and my room had a terrible odor. I was there to celebrate a very special occasion but once I saw the "upgrade" they gave me, I cancelled the celebration. They took me from a tower ocean view and "upgraded" me to this Banyan room. The bathroom was one of the few in the Banyan area with a bath tub, which I was grateful for. I had specified in my notes that I needed a tub and most of their Banyan rooms don't have them. If you like things simple, though, the Banyan room was really sparse. I was told I was in a larger Banyan room but it was no substitute for a modern room, IMO. I was upset as I had so hoped for a suite UG, but I would've been happier in ANY other room.

I don't want to change anyone's mind who has already been there and doesn't mind the older section, but don't count on much of a view. Also the pool is small and old, and if it rains there is a bad odor and puddles all over the outdoor restaurant. I didn't care much for the lounge either, as I am not fond of Asian food. I didn't see any kids when I was there but it can happen at any property. Sheraton Waikiki had a much nicer lounge, IMO, where you can grab water or soda and the best view of Diamond Head I've ever seen. It's also much more modern.

I know Sheraton Waikiki is harder to book (I had to book a month in advance to get my dates) but if you CAN get it, maybe your SNAs would apply better there? If my "upgrade" was to a room in the older part of the hotel with a shared balcony & no sight of water unless you lay down on said balcony, I can't imagine what a downgrade would've been! Maybe the tower rooms are nicer? I'm heading back to Honolulu at the end of the month and I booked Sheraton Waikiki with no hesitation. When I switched from Westin to Sheraton last trip, it was like going from Hell to Heaven. But that's just MY opinion. Perhaps if you got a suite at Westin it wouldn't have to be the Banyan area? I met a couple and their friends at the pool who had paid extra to be moved from the Banyan rooms. They weren't all happy with their rooms and complained about the pool, but they did say that their new rooms were much nicer than the Banyan ones.

It's difficult b/c the hotel can't do anything about the tree and that keeps them from providing a nice view from those rooms, and also keeps them from expanding the pool area. It's okay if you're into simplicity and the view doesn't matter and you don't mind a pool as old as dirt, but if you have a shot at Sheraton Waikiki, I'd strongly recommend trying there. If you're set on Westin, do look around for another area. That Banyan section is just not worth the time, money, or trouble. I can't speak to the tower there, but I've heard it's nice. Good Luck!
Simply don't book in the Banyan Wing. The Tower or Diamond Tower are better and literally cost only a few dollars more. I had an upgrade from tower city view to Penthouse Ocean view at the Moana. Staff were incredibly helpful and allowed me to choose which upgraded room I wanted (no banyan suites were available) despite some screw up in seeing my reservation.

You have pretty much zero chance of an upgrade at the SW so you will be stuck in a tiny, spartan room but it will have a nice Ocean view.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: Delta Diamond SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thaliajen
Appreciate the tips. I just need to fill two days in Honolulu and I found an AMAZING BRG at this hotel so trying to make the best of it. After rate match and 20% discount I am staying for two nights at less than one night cost listed on SPG.com at the time.

I am using the whole weekend at the Sheraton with my Free Sheraton Nights promo and then island hopping for a week at the St. Regis.

The room I did book to get the BRG was a "Banyon City View" room. Wouldn't mind using my SNAs if it gets me into the other tower or a bigger room because the thing looks like a cruise ship hut so just looking for people who are PLAT or have used SNAs to get a little more information on what they got upgraded too! Appreciate all the info.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appreciate the tips. I just need to fill two days in Honolulu and I found an AMAZING BRG at this hotel so trying to make the best of it. After rate match and 20% discount I am staying for two nights at less than one night cost listed on SPG.com at the time.

I am using the whole weekend at the Sheraton with my Free Sheraton Nights promo and then island hopping for a week at the St. Regis.

The room I did book to get the BRG was a "Banyon City View" room. Wouldn't mind using my SNAs if it gets me into the other tower or a bigger room because the thing looks like a cruise ship hut so just looking for people who are PLAT or have used SNAs to get a little more information on what they got upgraded too! Appreciate all the info.
That is the worst room type at the property as I understand it. I definitely wouldn't want to stay in one. Have you checked the SPG 50 options, I noticed after booking my last stay that these options actually appeared on the property booking site? I don't know what the policy is regarding room persistence in the tower you book even if you get an upgrade.

Like other properties the SNA's apply to a small subset of rooms soI would have thought that your odds of upgrade would not be high if the property is at all busy. On my stay last week the property wasn't very busy but there wasn't a Banyan Suite (the only SNA option) to be seen.

I cannot recommend the Penthouse Ocean View room highly enough. I think it would be nicer than a tiny suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.