Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Guangzhou, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Guangzhou, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Stayed there during XMas. Was upgraded to relax suite (or something like that), with stadium view and a massage chair. Really awesome.

Lobby staff is good and very professional. *However* restaurant staff are horrible. Went down to cafe for breakfast at 10:10am, was told it's closing at 10:30am. OK, so? They didn't want to let us in. I asked if I can just grab a juice. Stood there and wait for manager till 10:25am. Let us in but told us everything will be shutdown at 10:30am. Turned out they didn't even begin closing until 11:00am. Restaurant staff had this don't-care vibe, and are poorly trained. I guess Westin outsourced these staff. Most don't even speak Cantonese and poor English. Similiar attitudes in the Chinese restaurant.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
visited to The Westin Guangzhou, China in mid January and got a horrible story.

Photo Report: Westin Guangzhou

Booked with C&P and got upgraded to Executive Suite # 3207.

-the cleanliness of guest room / bath is just extremely awful. A lone hair in the bed sheet and some tissue paper was unflushed in the closestool of guest toilet. I put the hair into an envelope and bring it back to the executive lounge counter, forward to a staff immediately and complain this issue. They promised they will take care of this issue and apologized for any inconvenience caused, but No one take any actions to follow this case till I check-out.

-I arrived at the restaurant after 9.00 am. Breakfast was supposed to start at 7.00 am. I have to say I was terrified - the executive lounge looks like a cheap fast foodery. Every empty table have its own accumulated dinning wares without collection. There was only few young staffs serving the customers and one chief refill the buffet table. I noticed that someone just watching the guest's news paper for a while - I found that he is one of the lounge staff cause the other guy asking him to go back to the pantry, amazing.

Lots of items were empty, selection of food is not much, all were not labelled. Milk for coffee & tea was not offered at the buffet table. Perhaps it wants to have them made upon request. It was a hassle to ask for refills of hot water. I had to wait for quite a while. Probably they didn't want to encourage customers to ask for refills. When more customers came in, getting the attention of the staff was more difficult.

Here's the sample for food served in this style:

I mentioned the above issues when process check-out in the executive lounge, a nice young lady apologized for any inconvenience caused once again - of course she promised that the management team will try their best to resolve all issues.

- After check-out, I go to the concierge desk and asking for a direct shuttle bus information from Guangzhou to Hong Kong. The concierge staff would only provide the some location and so how about the price and schedule?? Sorry, I have to write it down and call by myself. I just gave up and asking about the train from Guangzhou East to Honghan Hong Kong - the same kind of reply from concierge staff one more time - we have a travel desk, you can go and check - a very useless concierge service.

Anyway, it's a hopeless SPG property for me.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
visited to The Westin Guangzhou, China in mid January and got a horrible story.

Photo Report: Westin Guangzhou

Booked with C&P and got upgraded to Executive Suite # 3207. <snip>

Anyway, it's a hopeless SPG property for me.
I was given the exact same room in Feb., had no problem w/the cleaniness of the room, but wasn't overly impressed w/the lounge either.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 12, 2009 at 9:49 pm Reason: Edited out picture and bulk of quote for ease of reading
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rdchen
I was given the exact same room in Feb., had no problem w/the cleaniness of the room, but wasn't overly impressed w/the lounge either.
maybe the room number # 3201 is just for spg plat members upgrade purpose exclusively.

I got a reply from the hotel director of rooms, Mr. Samuel Lee on Jan. 26 as follow:

Happy Chinese New Year and Gong Xi Fa Chai.

Please do accept my sincerest apology on your unpleasant recent stay at Westin GuangZhou. All your comments on the service shortfalls were very valuable to the hotel, especially at the beginning of the year which we can improve at once to bring a renewal experience to all of our guests.

Quality of room cleanliness, an intensive training program for Housekeeping team has been organized and yet, my personal involvement and inspection will ensure cleaning process are re-enforced and detailed. Service at Executive Club Lounge, a new service team has been formed who are more service oriented and experienced to replace current after Chinese New Year, more interaction and attention to guest needs will be emphasized, at same time, they are authorized to take immediate action in handling service breakdown which ever brought to Lounge as well I shall be informed.

It is a shame that being a member of Les Clefs d’Or, my Concierge team was not even be able to meet guest expectation, not to mention exceed. A daily meeting comes with training on the frequent asked questions has been arranged, not only Concierge team but also all front line staff will share the information and in-depth answers which anticipating guest needs. Nevertheless, service mind coaching and mentoring should be on-going every point of guest contact moment.
So seems like they didn't improve the service level in your previously stay in Feb.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
maybe the room number # 3201 is just for spg plat members upgrade purpose exclusively.

I got a reply from the hotel director of rooms, Mr. Samuel Lee on Jan. 26 as follow:

So seems like they didn't improve the service level in your previously stay in Feb.
Oops, my memory is failing, I was there around the same time you were, early Jan.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Lulu
Just finished a stay at the Westin Guangzhou. This is probably the newest property in Guangzhou for now. The location is close to the Guangzhou East railway station, so could provide easy connection to Hong Kong.

Upon check-in, was greeted by 2 staff and a manager. They immediately apologized for not being able to upgrade me to a suite as a platinum member as all suites were sold out. However, they assured me that they are upgrading me to a large room.

I was assigned a room on the 35th floor and the room is huge with high ceiling and hardwood floor, this room is almost as large as some suites of other Starwood properties. The room featured a plasma TV that swivel between the bedroom and the living area. The living area has a small dining table which contained fruit and dessert and a sitting area with sofa with coffee table. The management took pride in informing me that my room also came with a massage chair, which is in the living area. The chair came in quite handy after the long day.

The bathroom has a separate shower & bath area. The big drawback is that in an effort to make the design more "efficient" the shower area and the toilet are built next to each other and shares a sliding door between the two. So after the shower, there was overflow of water that went next door to the toilet floor.

The Club room is on the 38th floor, and I was the only guest there for breakfast. There were 4 attendants to cater to my whim. It had a decent spread with an omelet station. The attendants were super attentive and discouraged me from getting out of my chair by asking me to order the food through them. They also efficiently processed my check-out while I was having my breakfast.

I would go back to this hotel again for my next trip.
I had this same room two weeks ago. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Room service food was great. The staff went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. They helped me get train tickets and whatever I needed. Very good place to stay.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MIKEM
I had this same room two weeks ago. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Room service food was great. The staff went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of. They helped me get train tickets and whatever I needed. Very good place to stay.
Maybe we need a place in the room for all FTers to sign when they stay there.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Maybe we need a place in the room for all FTers to sign when they stay there.
I will be staying there on 10/12 .. will be interesting to see if I get the very same room.

mike
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Well, I got 2308, so no carving my initials into the wall on this trip.

The hotel is very, very nice. I've stayed at the following Chinese Starwoods:

Westin Beijing
Westin Shanghai
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Sheraton Shanghai
St. Regis Beijing
Sheraton Towers Hong Kong
Sheraton Chengdu
Sheraton Haikou

and I think this one may be the nicest yet. Room 2308 is a "Relax Room," which is essentially a junior suite (only because the living area is not its own room -- it is very big), overlooking the stadium and it has a massage chair, which actually works really well. The lounge on the 39th floor is also very nice and even cooks food to order (small steaks and pieces of fish) during happy hour.

I will quibble slightly with the poster(s) who said it was in walking distance from the train station. I only had a rollerboard and my computer bag (left most of my stuff at the Sheraton in Hong Kong) and it was not a pleasant walk. Okay, the 33 degree temperatures didn't help, but I was drenched when I arrived at the hotel. I plan on taking a taxi or the shuttle bus back to the station when I leave. Once was enough for that walk.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Well, I got 2308, so no carving my initials into the wall on this trip.

The hotel is very, very nice. I've stayed at the following Chinese Starwoods:

Westin Beijing
Westin Shanghai
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Sheraton Shanghai
St. Regis Beijing
Sheraton Towers Hong Kong
Sheraton Chengdu
Sheraton Haikou

and I think this one may be the nicest yet. Room 2308 is a "Relax Room," which is essentially a junior suite (only because the living area is not its own room -- it is very big), overlooking the stadium and it has a massage chair, which actually works really well. The lounge on the 39th floor is also very nice and even cooks food to order (small steaks and pieces of fish) during happy hour.

I will quibble slightly with the poster(s) who said it was in walking distance from the train station. I only had a rollerboard and my computer bag (left most of my stuff at the Sheraton in Hong Kong) and it was not a pleasant walk. Okay, the 33 degree temperatures didn't help, but I was drenched when I arrived at the hotel. I plan on taking a taxi or the shuttle bus back to the station when I leave. Once was enough for that walk.
Agreed on the walking thing when it's very hot out. It was a well spent $6USD to have a taxi drive me to the train station door a few weeks ago!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Any recent reviews? Plan to stay there in June. Last time the lounge was renovating and pool wasn't opened (in winter). How's pool service? And is the Relaxation room (one with massage chair) the same as Executive Suite?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I stay in this property every few months and find it to be great, and usually walk to/from the train station. I haven't used the pool, but in December the lounge was nice, clean and the food was fresh. The place was packed and they were turning the tables and cleaning quite effectively. I usually stay in a workout room, which is fantastic and also has a massage chair.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Transportation from CAN to Westin Guangzhou?

Arriving in the evening weekday, what journey time should I bidget for transfer by taxi from CAN to hotel, and roughly how much CNY?
Is there a hotel shuttle bus from the airport?
Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
bump.

Have tried to email hotel. Never heard from them either.
Wonder why they provide "contact us" link on web page if nobody will answer email?
Old May 4, 2010, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by allset2travel
bump.

Have tried to email hotel. Never heard from them either.
Wonder why they provide "contact us" link on web page if nobody will answer email?
Have you tried this [email protected]? They have answered me immediately on this email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.