Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chris: Is this 500-point Marriott survey legit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2007, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

See this thread in S.P.A.M. forum. Is it actually a legit survey or are we all being scammed? Could you check w/ someone? Thx!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694994
Old May 27, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I went all the way through it, but didn't add my mr #. What threw me off is that it said "would you like to be contacted in the future with additional surveys" but did NOT ask for your email. I'm beginning to think that it is a scam to possibly take you mr# and deplete the account....anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited by PhillyPhlyer40; May 27, 2007 at 12:08 pm
Old May 27, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold
I'm not sure but...

I did the whole survey and also was concerned that it could be a rip off... It wasn't worth it for 500 points to take the risk of putting in my name and number...

ZakkW
Old May 27, 2007, 11:30 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I had the same thoughts, but why would scammers go through the trouble of programming such a long survey? A good scam survey would have asked five to eight very simple questions (Have you ever stayed at a Marriott, How did you rate your stay, etc.). Only a very incompetent scammer would spend hours programming a survey that is likely to yield fewer account numbers than a shorter survey would -- I'm sure several people gave up halfway into the survey, thinking this is not worth it for 500 points.
Old May 27, 2007, 9:24 pm

I did the survey - but no points posted yet! (and all mine are still in the account but now I will be watching closely)
Old May 27, 2007, 11:51 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I did it but stopped short when I got to the MR #. Saw no space for your name and email address for future surveys. Seemed to point towards picking out an appropriate name for a new Marriott to replace the one distroyed on 9/11. If I had to guess, its a legit survey either poorly designed (no surprize here given the Marriott web site) or the link somehow is incomplete and puts you in the start of the survey without the needed deomgraphic info attached to the URL.
Old May 28, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
Wink

It smells like a scam ...
Old May 28, 2007, 11:28 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
http://technically.us/eat/articles/2...good-customers

Some history...

http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=linescale&tld=com

Some information....

IMO, avoid...

Pat
Old May 28, 2007, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hmm, wish I had known that before. I did provide my MR#, but I don't recall the survey asking for a name. Of course it was a day or two ago. And presumably MR would ask for some type of info other than MR# before letting someone access our accounts.

Chris, could you confirm if it's real or not? If it's not, perhaps Marriott legal wants to contact the guy/firm & say what's up? If it is legit, then perhaps Marriott wants to have the survey amended so it doesn't look like a scam.

camachinist, thanks for the links!

Cheers.
Old May 28, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
What do we do if it IS a scam? My wife decided to "try" this...now what????

Do I need to contact MR and let them know to "lock down" the account? Do I just worry? Im kinda concerned because it did NOT ask for an email address!
Old May 29, 2007, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by camachinist
I don't think it's a scam. But whether we'll actually get our 500 points is another question. We may not have entered the survey properly (i.e., the link that was posted may not really have been the correct entry point). @:-)

Take a look at linescale's own website. The owner, Larry Weiss, has a pretty interesting bio, listing a number of achievements and patents:

http://www.linescale.com/

Whatever you may think of the survey, it's unlikely to be a scam.
Old May 29, 2007, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I don't think it's a scam. But whether we'll actually get our 500 points is another question. We may not have entered the survey properly (i.e., the link that was posted may not really have been the correct entry point). @:-)

Take a look at linescale's own website. The owner, Larry Weiss, has a pretty interesting bio, listing a number of achievements and patents:

http://www.linescale.com/

Whatever you may think of the survey, it's unlikely to be a scam.
Just because the guy has worked at a large company or two and has a couple of patents doesn't mean this can't be a scam.

Furthermore, read his intro on the front page. Note that he doesn't claim to have innovated anything. He says that this system is based on stuff pioneered at General Foods, etc. Just reading his intro makes me feel that he's being incredibly misleading and making people think that he did work for all those companies - yet he never claims to have done so.

Just from reading his web page, I'd stay away. But, then, I just don't like slimy marketing techniques. Maybe it's just me.
Old May 29, 2007, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by jragosta
Just because the guy has worked at a large company or two and has a couple of patents doesn't mean this can't be a scam.

Furthermore, read his intro on the front page. Note that he doesn't claim to have innovated anything. He says that this system is based on stuff pioneered at General Foods, etc. Just reading his intro makes me feel that he's being incredibly misleading and making people think that he did work for all those companies - yet he never claims to have done so.

Just from reading his web page, I'd stay away. But, then, I just don't like slimy marketing techniques. Maybe it's just me.
Dig deeper. It sounds like you are misreading/misinterpreting what he has on his web page (perhaps because you have a preconceived notion that this is a scam?). @:-)
Old May 29, 2007, 6:49 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Replace "c" with "p"

Guess it could be in the right forum after all...

The narrow scope of Google search results on this company should be telling...

Pat
Old May 29, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
It didn't ask for our names, just our MR #. Doubt anyone can do much with just a number.

Besides, FTers are the last people I'd try to scam. We check our reward balances, what? twice daily?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.