Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Monterey Marriott, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Looking for a nice hotel in Monterey for 2 nites in mid May? Most of the reviews on the Monterey Marriott are pretty old and we heard that it had a recent renovation? Can anyone give recent experience? Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
I'm not sure when the renovations took place, but I was there last May.

The only thing I felt really needed an upgrade was the pool area. Everything else was nice, but not over-the-top spectacular.

The location is great, just a short walk to the bay. Parking is also plentiful on the surrounding streets and garages and cheaper than the hotel lot.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:56 am
JTG

Programs: UA/AA/SW/MR Gold/Hyatt/HH
August 06 Trip Report

I posted this last August:

Monterey Marriott Wed/Thur
The friendliness and attention to detail, that has been mentioned on FlyerTalk, was fully-functional on my visit. "Justin" welcomed me and acknowledged my gold status. I told him that the hotel was well-rated by the folks on this board and that piqued his interest enough to ask for the URL so he could read members comments and improve his hotel. Despite the fact that I was using points for this 2-day stay, I was upgraded to a Deluxe Bay View room that was nice, bright and airy with a small walkout balcony. Since there is no lounge, I was given 2 free breakfast coupons. Upon completion of breakfast each morning, however, all 4 breakfasts were zeroed out. Nice touch. I was also able to purchase tix to the aquarium, there in the hotel, avoiding lines as well as online service charges.

Net-net: Great job Justin. Location and friendliness make this a great launch site for Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel. I had the best fire-roasted thin crust pizza I've ever tasted at the Santa Lucia Cafe a few blocks away. Bad: Parking- $20 and net access $12/day. No lounge.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:06 pm

I was just working in Monterey and unfortunately since I was there for 2 weeks couldn't justify staying at the Marriott. The Courtyard in Salinas was clean and close to resturants/shopping, etc... but next time based on these comments I'll try to stay at the Marriott.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Let me know if there is anything specific you want to know. I just checked in at the Monterey Marriott this morning and then headed to my client's site. I will be at that property all this week (heading home on Friday).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I was there a few months ago. Location can't be beat. Short walk to Fisherman's Wharf. Longer walk to Cannery Row though I didn't do that myself. Woke up to the sounds of sea lions barking from the bay. Loved the hot tub.

Downsides...the parking, of course. All onsite parking is valet (about $20). Internet+unlimited long distance (U.S.) was about $10/day.

I would stay there again for the right price, but sometimes you are limited to $300+ rates. I did like a previous poster mentioned...I've stayed in Salinas (but at the Residence Inn).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:09 pm

<rant>Marriott needs to stop charging Internet (at least for platnium members) <end rant>

Just an FYI.. I found his unbelievably good Mexican place (the hole-in-the-wall type joint) called Sarita's. I ate at the one in Marina (like 5 times in 2 weeks), but I think they have multiple locations.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Monterey Marriott - any current comments?

Anyone been to the Monterey Marriott lately/

If so, any comments appreciated.

Originally Posted by Smaug
I was there a few months ago. Location can't be beat. Short walk to Fisherman's Wharf. Longer walk to Cannery Row though I didn't do that myself. Woke up to the sounds of sea lions barking from the bay. Loved the hot tub.

Downsides...the parking, of course. All onsite parking is valet (about $20). Internet+unlimited long distance (U.S.) was about $10/day.

I would stay there again for the right price, but sometimes you are limited to $300+ rates. I did like a previous poster mentioned...I've stayed in Salinas (but at the Residence Inn).
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
We were there about 6 months ago and the above comments are still valid. No lounge but free breakfast buffet for gold/platinum. Staff is still very professional and friendly. Plenty of street parking if you want to avoid the $20 hotel charge. If parking on the street, I believe the metered hours are between 10am and 6pm, so you can park overnight for free. We were upgraded to a nice bay view room. The restaurant is not open for dinner, however, there is a sports bar in the hotel for dinner and drinks. Average fitness room and pool. There is a nice Chart House restaurant on Cannery row with a great view. Also, an El Torito on Canery Row with a great happy hour and terrific view as well.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, DL Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jtp1947
We were there about 6 months ago and the above comments are still valid. No lounge but free breakfast buffet for gold/platinum. Staff is still very professional and friendly. Plenty of street parking if you want to avoid the $20 hotel charge. If parking on the street, I believe the metered hours are between 10am and 6pm, so you can park overnight for free. We were upgraded to a nice bay view room. The restaurant is not open for dinner, however, there is a sports bar in the hotel for dinner and drinks. Average fitness room and pool. There is a nice Chart House restaurant on Cannery row with a great view. Also, an El Torito on Canery Row with a great happy hour and terrific view as well.
This is accurate. I went 4 months back and had the exact same info to supply. Without even requesting an upgrade, they put us in the Presidential Suite (not sure of the exact name) because of our anniversary, it had a HUGE balcony that overlooks the bay. The breakfast buffet is actually pretty good with a fairly large selection, you get what all other guests get for paying, except it's free for elites. The location is pretty good too, you can find many restaurants nearby.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:42 am

Marriott Monterey long stay advice!

Looking to book a 1-3 month stay in the Monterey, Ca early next year. My company limits me to $140/day. There are a couple of Residence Inns nearby at that price but I would like to stay in Monterey. The only option is the Marriott but their price is all over the place. I have seen as low as $149 but not during the time I am there. Any suggestions on negotiating that price for my long stay? Is negotiating a price out of the question and if not what is my best route? Thanks in advance and I await your seasoned advice.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:26 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
It is definitely worth calling. I have negotiated rates all over the United States for multiroom weeklong stays and I don't know why you wouldn't call their sales department to find out.

I have stayed at that Marriott multiple times and the staff has always been exceptionally nice. Will you need to park? I do recall there being a fee.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
State rate....

Originally Posted by oncelost77
Looking to book a 1-3 month stay in the Monterey, Ca early next year. My company limits me to $140/day. There are a couple of Residence Inns nearby at that price but I would like to stay in Monterey. The only option is the Marriott but their price is all over the place. I have seen as low as $149 but not during the time I am there. Any suggestions on negotiating that price for my long stay? Is negotiating a price out of the question and if not what is my best route? Thanks in advance and I await your seasoned advice.
I know this might not help you directly, but I did just notice a $84 State rate week before last. I tell you this because of all the times I have ever gone to Monterey County, I would always have to stay in Salinas at the Residence Inn. I could almost always get a state rate of $84 at the Residence Inn and that is what the State of California will pay in Monterey County.

But week before last, while looking at possible places to stay, I saw the Marriott in Monterey for $84 and I have N-E-V-E-R seen them offer the state per diem for that property.

Truth be told, if I were you and I were staying that long, I'd still choose a Residence Inn over the FS Marriott because I would need more elbow room and I don't care how nice the FS Marriott is...a room is just a room is just a room when you are talking about a month + stay!

Dawn
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by HSDebateCoach
the staff has always been exceptionally nice. Will you need to park?
I've stayed at this hotel for about 15 nights over the past four months and I agree the staff are very friendly and efficient. The rooms are in dire need of renovation. The hotel is infested with a fragrance that to me is quite unpleasant.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:22 pm

Thanks for the responses. I might stay at the Residence Inn for comfort reasons, the long stay and all. From other posts I have read that parking is $20 at the Marriott. That rate would get old quick. A 2br would be a lot better if my family visits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.