Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:52 pm

Upgrade for listening to timeshare bit?

Hi, I'm not sure how to ask this as I am new to forums, but here goes:

I've signed up for the $379 for 4nt plus 5000 SPG points promo that Westin mailed me for the Westin Kierland "resort and spa". It is for one 'hotel-type room'. I am going in Feb. with the HB and 2 toddlers.

As ridiculous as it sounds, my kids need to have total dark and quiet or they will not sleep (like even on an O/N flight! as babies!). So either we sit in the dark or the bathroom after their bedtime, or we go to bed at 7pm too. After not liking these options, we started getting suites or adjoining rooms if cheaper. I can't upgrade this offer though. So here are some ideas/questions:

1. Would anyone be able to tell me if they'd offer an upgrade to larger accommodations if we agreed to listen to the timeshare talk?

2. Does anyone know if the promo sets you up in the hotel or the timeshare villas?

3. Would anyone know if the $379/night on Starwood.com is the lowest price that I could get for an extra night? I had to book extra day for a decent return flight.

Thanks very much if you can help!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
"1. Would anyone be able to tell me if they'd offer an upgrade to larger accommodations if we agreed to listen to the timeshare talk?"

I'm pretty sure that by signing on for this deal you have already agreed to this anyway. It's always in the fine print of these types of offers that we always get, unless your invitation was different.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
I'm pretty sure that by signing on for this deal you have already agreed to this anyway. It's always in the fine print of these types of offers that we always get, unless your invitation was different.[/QUOTE]

I have an earlier post describing a similar question where forum members replied that taking the offer is no strings attached. A further incentive will be offered to attend the time share presentation.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:09 am

How come I never get THOSE deals? Ours are always "must be married, both spouses must attend, we verify income, blah blah".
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:30 pm

Actually, we were lucky and the invite does not say anything about timeshares or presentations.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Alaska 100k, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone had any luck getting this offer extended even if you were not targeted
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:12 pm

How do you get on the radar for these "no obligation" offers? As I said, we get plenty of the timeshare ones.

We go to PHX quite frequently to visit family and would love a little R&R away from the in-laws while we're there.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:52 pm

it was in the mail and said only valid for my name. I don't know why they sent it to me, but am Gold SPG member and have no time shares.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:19 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Trip Report

Nice property. It’s a big hotel, but always feels intimate. It’s in a great location in Scottsdale. The staff are professional and really do a great job. Great pool area, but too cold to take advantage of during our post-Christmas stay. (My only hesitation about the pool area: I’m a bit scared of what this pool looks like in peak season. Chairs are jammed in tightly together, so – when it’s busy and it’s pool season – folks must be jammed in like sardines next to each other. Elbow-to-elbow with strangers!) The Flowrider surf machine was up and running, and is a great amenity for a family-friendly resort like this.

The Kids Club here is absolutely phenomenal – our two boys loved their programming, and it’s clearly both staffed and managed very, very well.

Deseo – the hotel’s destination restaurant – is fantastic. It’s one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. Great food.

SPG Platinum recognition was, frankly, a bit disappointing. Our ‘upgrade’ was from a traditional (i.e. basic) room to what they call a “deluxe” room. That deluxe room is identical to the basic/traditional category in every way – except it supposedly comes with a better view. (Not being one to ever sit in a hotel room and stare out a window, I’ve never considered a view to count as an upgrade. And during this stay, it definitely wasn’t a step up.) Our deluxe/view room faced directly onto a wall across a large courtyard. I’d rather they tell me that no upgrades are available than give me this room and claim it’s an upgrade.

Their exec level lounge – called the Royal Peaks Lounge – is really quite pointless. It’s open to people who’ve reserved rooms on the exec floor and for SPG Platinum guests. The lounge offers a free continental (i.e. carbs and sugar -- mmmmm) breakfast every morning for a max of two room guests. (Lounge access for additional guests: kids 2 and older are $10/day each for access, adults are $50/day each) With one of our boys being 4 years old, he could eat breakfast for free in the main hotel restaurant and the 6 year old could eat for $11 -- so paying $20/day for a limited food selection for both kids in a lounge with very limited seating was a bit ridiculous. (We didn't do it.) My hunch is that the upcharge for additional people is more punitive pricing – trying to keep people out of the lounge and manage their capacity. In spite of it, the lounge seemed overrun with kids on the few occasions when I poked my head in – eating Froot Loops at all hours of the day and hogging the PCs. And in the evenings, I saw adults hauling out as many of the free drinks (non-alcoholic) and pre-packaged snack food as they could stuff in their pockets and wrap their fingers around – like they were shopping for groceries. As a result, the place never seemed to be well stocked. Sadly, there really seems to be zero value in this lounge.

The only nice benefit of SPG Plat recognition was the $25 daily credit for the lounge in deseo. Unfortunately, it’s not really a place suitable for children, so we weren’t able to take advantage of it other than those nights when we had our boys in the evening Kids’ Club program (and were dining in deseo). Sadly, we threw out a stack of unused vouchers – we would have loved to have taken advantage of these more often throughout our stay.

Concierges – as others have mentioned – aren’t really concierges. These folks aren’t Clef d’Or kind of hotel professionals. Although very nice people (and I’m sure capable of giving out some restaurant recommendations) they’re really the first wave of the timeshare sales brigade for the adjacent SVO property. Beware ‘concierges’ bearing ‘gifts’.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:52 pm

Thanks! that is very useful info.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: SPG, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
No water for 2 days

We stayed at the Westin Kierland from 12/15 to 12/28 and during this stay, the resorts water-main to the hotel ruptured. We were without water for one day, water back on for a day, then no water for another day. The resort was very apologetic and provided free bottled water, but for time the water was off, which was the majority of the day, no showers, no toilets, etc. I was surprised that other than an apology for our inconvenience, the hotel did not proactively offer anything to compensate for the loss of water. Given that the break was in the hotel's basement (it was not a natural cause), it is odd that the resort did not feel it important to offer anything other than bottled water.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Nice stay at the Villas

Just finished a 3 night stay at the Villas (VO presentation package) in a small one bedroom over looking the golf course.. I am glad I chose the golf course view since the pool scene was "lively" with many small children enjoying the pools.
Nice room-if somewhat dark because of the odd placement of the slider and another window on the bedroom side of the unit. These were the only windows.
In the larger units you have two sliders as those units are much larger. Bed and bath were very nice and the furnishing were of good quality.

Housekeeping could have been a little more thorough as I found the tile floors to be dirty and the place needed a good dusting. The patio furniture needed a good cleaning as well. If I had been there longer I might have had housekeeping come back to reclean the room.

The snack bar next to the pool is the only food outlet on the villas side- But the resort is a short hop/shuttle ride away. We had dinner at Deseo which we thoroughly enjoyed.

The time share presentation was a painless 2 hours(we had a LOT of questions!) and the SPG VO programs seems pretty solid=but we did not buy.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:26 am

I am heading to this resort in a couple months. Booked roughly 7-8 months ago (I think??).
Anyways, it's a hotel room, 4 nights. I can't remember what it said but do remember there were no stings AND I was entitled to a $75 resort credit.

Just called and they say they have no reference to the $75 credit. Not the end of the world but a little frustrating that they pull this.

does anyone have the documentation for the (canned) offer? I can't find mine but am SURE of the items I mentioned.

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:04 pm

treatment of platinum members?

We are thinking of staying in March. What can I expect for a platinum rewards member?

Thanks!

csbm
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
This question may have been answered. I have a conference next November at the Westin Kierland Resort & Spa. A one bedroom suite is going to run about $530 at the Resort, but only $320 at the Villas. Is the price difference worth the inconvenience?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.