Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Some other hotels are very specific in their rules. Most aren't and, unless specified otherwise, I think they're available for business and leisure. My favorite rule is from the Fayetteville, NC Courtyard (near Fort Bragg/Pope AFB) which states:

**NOT PER DIEM**DISCOUNT OFF REGULAR RATE**
**VALID GOVERNMENT ID AND TRAVEL ORDERS REQUIRED!!**
* FRONT DESK WILL REQUEST A COPY OF TRAVEL ORDERS *

That's pretty clear but who reads those rules except those on this board!
Kind of amusing that this property doesn't even provide the government per diem rate, yet is so stringent in respect to its rules. In fact, in most situations, the government traveler on official business will avoid like the plague a property such as this that fails to provide a per diem rate. In the final analysis, the only travelers likely to want to use this rate are customers who are pretending to be government employees, and government employees traveling on leisure.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
I don't travel anywhere near as much as some of you but when I do it is always on the Gov't rate...nearly always leisure and I have never been asked for anything but identification to prove my employment. I always thought the lodger was cutting us a break regardless of leisure or business because of the type of employment (military, police, etc.).
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
Socrates, I hesitate to question anything you say as to anything Marriott, but I don't believe this is true, except at properties which specifically so indicate.
I quoted the new policy the quote you posted quotes the old, I dont believe the new is in effect yet
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by socrates
I quoted the new policy the quote you posted quotes the old, I dont believe the new is in effect yet
Where does the new policy appear?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where does the new policy appear?
I'd watch here over the next few weeks https://marriott.com/specials/govtmil/default.mi
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:31 pm

I'd watch here over the next few weeks https://marriott.com/specials/govtmil/default.mi
I'll watch for it. If it happens, it would only be fair that Marriott return to what had always previously been its policy (before last year), that is that the government rate be at per diem so that federal employees on official business can actually use it. The government discount rate now used by some properties is not a government rate at all in that it is completely unrelated to the local per diem and is generally unusable by government employees on official business or by the military.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll watch for it. If it happens, it would only be fair that Marriott return to what had always previously been its policy (before last year), that is that the government rate be at per diem so that federal employees on official business can actually use it. The government discount rate now used by some properties is not a government rate at all in that it is completely unrelated to the local per diem and is generally unusable by government employees on official business or by the military.
I believe you will be happy in a few weeks
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I believe you will be happy in a few weeks
IMHO, that would be a very fair trade ^
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
IMHO, that would be a very fair trade ^

I second that!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:06 am

If Marriott stops giving the government discount to govt employees on leisure travel, they may miss our business.

I know some of my coworkers have already stopped using Marriott because of the smoking ban. If one smoker is in the group, sometimes the non-smokers have to go with them to another hotel.

Surely all their hotels aren't so full that they are willing to chase us all away. How many government employees do you suppose are in this country?

Sheila
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Originally Posted by swilshire
If Marriott stops giving the government discount to govt employees on leisure travel, they may miss our business.

I know some of my coworkers have already stopped using Marriott because of the smoking ban. If one smoker is in the group, sometimes the non-smokers have to go with them to another hotel.

Surely all their hotels aren't so full that they are willing to chase us all away. How many government employees do you suppose are in this country?

Sheila
Last stat I have seen on this is that about 7% of the US works in government (note... not for government such as contractors).

At about 300 Million of us... that's about 21 million people.

I am not sure if that 7% number I have is in regards to total population... or working population, but if it is total, then that's a whole lot of you!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
No, the rate is available to federal/canadian government (and Military of both) traveling on official business.

I'll believe it when I see it. Socrates previously claimed that the alleged "new policy" WAS the old policy, but was proven wrong.

One obvious problem with the alleged "new policy" is that it does not cover state and local employees. Even if Marriott decides to order individual hotel GMs to reverse their long-standing policy on offering discounted leisure travel to government employees, it is extremely unlikely that they also will be unwilling to offer discounts to state or local employees on official business.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:34 pm

Cincinnati Airport Marriott

This from a government rate today at the Cincinnati Airport Marriott:

"*****************C R E D I T . C A R D**************************
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES ON OFFICIAL TRAVEL ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE
US GOV'T ISSUED CREDIT CARDS TO PAY FOR TRAVEL RELATED COSTS.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE ON PERSONAL TRAVEL IS PROHIBITED FROM THE
GOVERNMENT DISCOUNTED RATE
THE CREDIT CARDS THAT ARE VALID GOV'T CARD START WITH
4486 OR 4716 OR 5568
**FEDERAL TRAVEL REGULATIONS INDICATE USE OF THE GOV'T CC IS
MANDATORY (FTR 301-51)
FRONT DESK AGENTS ARE TRAINED TO LOOK FOR THE SPECIFIC
GOVERNMENT CREDIT CARDS OR GOVERNMENT ISSUED CHECKS

I should also note that it is disappointing that the goverment rate at this property is over per diem.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Big Mo
I'll believe it when I see it. Socrates previously claimed that the alleged "new policy" WAS the old policy, but was proven wrong.

One obvious problem with the alleged "new policy" is that it does not cover state and local employees. Even if Marriott decides to order individual hotel GMs to reverse their long-standing policy on offering discounted leisure travel to government employees, it is extremely unlikely that they also will be unwilling to offer discounts to state or local employees on official business.
I'm sorry if I offended you somehow but I fail to see how I was proven wrong. Just as an FYI state employees are covered under the policy - please dont make an assumption from what I've posted here
Old Feb 14, 2007, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
socrates - you seem to have some inside knowledge on the impending change... Is this a Marriott initiative only or is their some cooperation with GSA (or someone other government-related body) to step up enforcement of use of the government credit cards? From the terms ohmark posted, it seems this may not be completely Marriott-driven? I know that compliance with the required usage of the government travel card has been a problem - at least in my little portion of the government travel world - for quite some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.