Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:42 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by estnet
So the IT issue isn't fixed, the hotel is sending out emails to verify that the mistake is "correct" - and I assume driving customers away (well at least those who notice this bizarre policy which is at variance from all the other hotels here). Anyone know the GM or have an email for him/her?

Been doing it for years, even as a Sheraton, hotel also fails to do an offline transaction at checkout to refer back to held funds, so,you have to wait for the bank to realise funds.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
So does anyone have an email for the GM? I was told a previous email was sent to him/her but no response for over a week.

Their "flexible" rate requires a 30 day cancellation (and prepayment at that time!) but a point award has a 3 day cancellation policy! Is that really legitimate?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:26 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Is the beach nice/swimmable ? I am sick of beachfront properties where u can have a decent swim...
looking for clear water
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by cln
Is the beach nice/swimmable ? I am sick of beachfront properties where u can have a decent swim...
looking for clear water
I assume you mean can't
No not nice, try The Andaman - WAY nicer on all counts
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:47 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Yeah meant Cannot xD

Hmm andaman is more than 2x the price for my dates. Same price as St Regis...i try to look into that thread first... Thanks !
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Just finished a handful of nights at this property and was very happy overall.

Arrival: Fixed price taxis from the airport are RM34 (not RM20 as on the hotel website) and take about 30min. Grab and Uber are now also in Langkawi.

Plat recognition / room:: I had booked a standard room and was given a nice corner suite. It came with two patios, one of which was very large and had a great view of the bay and the main pool. It also had a its own deck table and chairs, and a daybed. The suite was well-appointed (espresso machine!) and clean, but had visible wear and tear.

I chose the breakfast as my Plat amenity, and was also given a fruit platter and wine bottle as welcome, as well as a 20% discount at all F&B outlets in the resort. This was nice, if a bit annoying to always remind waiters to apply it to the bill. It should have just been linked to the room number at the backend.

Finally, there was a complimentary cocktail or mocktail of the day, during one hour, at the pool bar. Given that I'm not one for fruity drinks and there was no choice, I didn't really partake. Overall, excellent Plat recoognition.

Facilities: This is a big resort with many facilities. There were 4 pools (the hidden spa pool being my favorite), an excellent gym, tennis and squash courts, water sports, bike rentals, kids club etc. to keep the family entertained. I only used the pool and the gym. I felt that the resort started to show its age here and there (missing tiles, rusty fittings, brittle plastic chairs etc.) but nothing major. An army of gardeners, cleaners, poolboys etc. was always at work.

There are ample lounge chairs throughout, and I never had a problem finding a free one, or towels. The resort wasn't fully booked though.

Beach: As others have mentioned, this is a very shallow bay with somewhat murky water, one can wade way out especially at low tide. The sand is fairly coarse (many seashells) but otherwise fine. There is a nice beachfront path over to the St. Regis, 5min away, where the sand is nicer but the water the same. They also have hammocks over there...

F&B:Overall, food was solid if not very inspiring. I felt prices, even at the signature restaurant "Tide" and for room service, were reasonable (in a resort overcharging context). My one gripe was with the main buffet venue (breakfast and dinner buffets), which had all of the charm and atmosphere of a school cafeteria. Loud, crowded, neon-lit, with plastic tables hurriedly wiped off between guests. The breakfast buffet would be okay for a Westin in Minneapolis or Munich but was below what I am used to in Malaysia.

Location: As mentioned, the St. Regis is a quick walk away. You can also walk along a sidewalk to the town of Kuah, although the hotel also runs a shuttle twice daily or it's RM4 by Uber. The local mall has cheap eats and a supermarket, where duty-free alcohol was shockingly cheap. Tacky "Eagle Square" is also nearby, as is Legenda Park. I found Kuah nothing to write home about.

Staff: Friendly, cheerful and attentive throughout, with the exception of breakfast buffet, where they were visibly overwhelmed.

Conclusion: I was looking for a few quiet days in the sun and was more than happy with what I got. Yes, the St. Regis looked nicer, but I didn't feel it would be worth the 150% price premium. The Westin is a solid choice.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:21 am

Finished our five nights here...........This is going to be a really tough review to give as there were areas outstanding especially the people for the most part but the guts of the facility......here goes.

Arrived around 2:30 p.m. - on the drive up to the hotel was a little worried as something just didn't look too inviting? Pulled up and was greeted immediately. Went up to the desk and once giving her my name she immediately asked me to hold on a minute and brought a Manager out from the back (sorry, shoot cannot remember her name). Anyway it was a great first impression as she introduced herself to myself and my wife and welcomed us as a Plat member - she explained that they have upgraded us to a one bedroom suite that wasn't quite ready and gave us a key to a complimentary room while we were waiting. Great welcome and first impression! a gentleman walked us to the hospitality room and advised us to call him if we need absolutely anything. We picked up some wine from the duty free and polished off a bottle before getting our room which was at 5:00 p.m.

The room was huge! A kitchen with full fridge etc.,; dining room; large living area with television, couch, chair etc., with HUGE balcony facing the ocean.,; half bathroom; nice big bedroom with large bathroom with also a separate balcony! We were on the top floor in the 400 block. I guess it would be the area closest to the villas. The room was great but this building is old for sure so there are many areas that become noticeable to the age. The patio doors were older with very thin windows and doors ( no sliding door and such ), we had to use a rock to put against the doors when we were on the patio as they would not stay shut. The toilets were working overtime to even flush (when they did) - they just seemed to have very low pressure/power to them. The main large balcony we did not use much as it needed work on the rotting wood - just didn't have a comfy feel. We went out to sit at the table later one day and I opened up the umbrella and everything was broken on it! We decided just to go to the smaller balcony. Anyway, we really liked our room - loved the ceiling fan which helps immensely too and had great sleeps. Housekeeping did a great job also. Oh and I can't forgot - the one morning we woke up to a family up monkeys on our balcony That was awesome to see!

As for the pools, we spend out entire time at the Rock pool. The hotel was fully booked but this area was NEVER packed........it was weird? We enjoyed it down there and found it quieter.

Had breakfast every morning at the main restaurant. It's breakfast so there was always toast and eggs if you weren't into anything else. There were many options and they had some champagne on ice in the mornings too. Everything is there you need for breakfast - I'm not too fussy when it comes to breakfast unlike some others.

I reserved seating at TIDE for February 14th....Our food was great but I was underwhelmed by the service unfortunately. As it was Valentines Day at a resort with people on vacation I didn't really find it anything special - not sure what I was looking for?? It just seemed we didn't really have one person taking care of us ( I know that doesn't make sense because you would think the more the better ) one person took our order; another would come by and ask us the same thing; one of the girls came by and didn't understand us so another person had to come by; the service standards need some tweaking in my opinion. Not that it ruined our night at all as it wasn't the end of the world - we went there to eat and we got fed but you know what I mean

The beach..........yikes. Don't come here for the beach. Muddy, dirty and did I say Muddy! We walked over to the St. Regis and over the bridge way there it was horrible! We were thinking about splurging for the St. Regis but really glad we didn't!!! We spend our entire time at the pool - just walking alongside the beach wasn't even enjoyable...We went and stayed at the Andaman after this and WOW!! WOW!!! now that is a beach.

The gym here is decent also. I used it a few days - you will find it is in a separate building. The one morning I was there and full family of Dusky Leaf Monkeys were out on the roof of the gym area for woman. I went up to the window and they were literally in my face......loved it!

We used GRAB which was great to go into town to try some different restaurants and also took it to Cenang beach the one day where this is more options for food and the street resort scene. Also got a great foot massage while there for cheap!

All in all we did end up really enjoying our stay at the Westin - the people were great and they treated myself as a Plat great! No complaints there! Now not the employees fault but this place has definitely seen it's days - as others have said there is only so many times you can paint - it truly needs a HUGE overhaul! It's a big place so we are talking big money!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Bonvoy, Enrich
I tried to book the Westin Langkawi for a quick holiday (already going to Andaman next month) but the Westin is no longer showing up on the the App (open date search). Anyone know if it is still in network?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:00 pm

You've been bonvoyed - their IT seems intent on not showing or allowing bookings intermittently b/c they are so incompetent!!!!
Yes it's still in - shows up on the brower website
Old Apr 8, 2024, 1:06 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Any recent experience?

The last review is from pre covid, has anyone recently been there?

Thinking of heading there for 3 nights. Considering the beach is awful can see the only reason to go there is an upgrade to a pool villa. Has anyone got data points on how good the are with villas upgrades for ambassadors?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.