FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Le Meridien Vienna, Austria [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/643202-le-meridien-vienna-austria-master-thread.html)

beltway Aug 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by chazas (Post 14539790)
I will be here on an award stay in September. The hotel is fully booked and says no free SPG gold upgrades will be forthcoming, but are happy to upgrade one category for 1500 Starpoints per night.

I don't get it. If they are fully booked, how can there be a room available for upsell?

chazas Aug 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 14541217)
I don't get it. If they are fully booked, how can there be a room available for upsell?

Got me. I politely asked for consideration for an upgrade if one is available - they replied:

"At the time of your stay the Eurospine Congress is taking place in Vienna and so we unfortunately can not give free upgrades. Because you are a gold member we want you to feel as compfortable as possible. We would like to offer you an upgrade with Starpoints. It would be 1.500 Starpoints for each night."

SanDiego1K Aug 25, 2010 12:28 am

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 14541217)
If they are fully booked, how can there be a room available for upsell?

From their response, they expect to be fully booked by the time of the stay. Thus, they are offering the opportunity to get an upgraded room before someone else books it for cash. That's a reasonable way to manage expectations.

chazas Aug 25, 2010 5:51 am

Therefore my question. Can anyone weigh in on whether a deluxe to executive upgrade is worthwhile at this property?

Braindrain Aug 25, 2010 2:46 pm

Any upgrade is worthwhile in my books.

Whether it's a good value for the points will be entirely up to you.

SanDiego1K Aug 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by chazas (Post 14542813)
Can anyone weigh in on whether a deluxe to executive upgrade is worthwhile at this property?

Since we aren't coming up with actual stay experiences, you might find the room descriptions helpful on the website. Square footage is important to me, as I like a sense of space. Here is what is shown for the respective rooms:

Deluxe: 30 to 35 square metres

Executive: 40 square metres

beltway Aug 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 14546603)
Since we aren't coming up with actual stay experiences

Sorry -- I just checked my file from our stay last month, and see that the DW & I had a Superior room (or maybe Deluxe), while my 2 sons were in an Executive with 2 twin beds.

The Executive was noticeably larger, even with the 2 beds taking up space. However, the amenities were identical as far as I observed, and our room at 30 (or 35) sq m was comfortably spacious for two people. For seating, we had a tub chair in the corner, a chair at the desk, and a padded bench at the foot of the bed; Exec may have had one extra tub chair. Personally, I would not pay for the upgrade, given how very pleased I was with the lower-tier room.

chazas Aug 25, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks, BW!

skye1 Sep 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Le Meridien, Vienna

Stayed there for the FT VIE Do, original reason being I had an FFN award I still needed to use, and it was the only central SPG prop w/ FFN availability, first night on award, second night paid.

First night, was upgraded to an Executive Suite. Second night, was upgraded to what they called one of the "Terrace Suites" (in the room descriptions linked upthread, it's noted in the paragraph under exectuive suites, it's really an executive suite with a terrace. And, oh, what a terrace! Spanning the length of both the living room and the bedroom, with floor-to-ceiiling windows the length of the suite, and a clear glass/plexiglass balcony railing, with separate powered blinds both for the windows and for the doors. One could host a small dinner party therein, with plenty of space on the terrace for guests, with the room's Bose music system supplying the tunes.

I agree with all the posts so far, the suites had a very spacious feel. Art meets function, with things like a scuplture of a hand, that holds a couple of apples for you. Nice touches like throws/blankets on the couches and chairs. Lots of different lighting combinations for whatever mood suits you. A small gift box of chocolae wafers on the table w/ a welcome note. The exectuive suie I had the first night had two full bathrooms and a half bath. The terrace-executive had a large bathroom and a half bath.

I also agree with all the posts so far re: the great staff they have there. Absoluely fantastic. They even seemed genuinely excited about being able to offer the upgrade to that terrace suite.

The lobby is a bit of a photo gallery in and of itself, well worth a quick walk-thru when one has the time.

No shortage of coffee options: there's a coffee/expresso machine available for guests until 8am, and/or, like other Le Meridien's, in the info. folder in your room, there's a coupon for two free expressos or cappucinos in the hotel's cafe, and this Le M's cafe was a nice corner coffee spot that was perfect for an afternoon break. And, there's always the in-room kettle & insant coffee as well (in addition to the mini-bar posted upthread).

Easily a short walk from the Karlsplatz station, making getting around Vienna beyond the city centre a breeze. 30 min., door-to-door, by train to/from the airport.

Didn't miss the absence of a club-lounge---with plenty of in-house coffee options for that first cuppa, preferred to enjoy mornings at one of the outdoor cafe's that line the streets around the area along city's beautiful streets, and no shortage of dinner options as well.

I'd stay here again, without a doubt.

schley Sep 27, 2010 1:17 am

Was upgraded to a suite for a 2 night stay. First night last thursday night on cash and points and the second night on a FFWN award. I actually had 3 rooms for each night but both of those were standard rooms.

Great location as are the Bristol and Imperial. I mean all are walking distance to the joy that is downtown Vienna. What a marvelous city. Opera house is right down from Le Meridien and close to everything. I didn't get the coffee vouchers in my folder as I expected and forgot to ask. Coffee and food/beverage is expensive in Vienna for sure, thus everything complimentary helps.

Complimentary in room minibar which consists of 2 large bottles of mineral water, 1 diet coke, 1 coke, 1 small orange juice, 1 apple juice, 1 beer. That is all but all are complimentary each day restocked. Nice touch.

Airport transfer is a bit steep. We booked a van for 5 which was 60 euros from airport and 56 euros to the airport. Weird about the difference but I'm sure it accounts for parking while waiting for your arrival inbound.

Great hotel, a lounge or free breakfast would really make this place a home run.

mamak04 Oct 30, 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain (Post 14273857)
Good question. They do have instant awards as I got the little sheet when I checked but didn't even look at it.

So, I have no idea about the Imperial Torte. :(

We stayed at LM during early October, and the first day happened to be DH's birthday. Through Flyertalk (thanks to all!), I sent an email to LM few weeks before about the Imperial Torte as a surprise for DH. LM responded quickly that it will cost me 3,000 Starwood points for it - I was fine with that and approved the transaction.

The 2 rooms reservations (there were 4 of us) were done from DH's points (C&P), and he already made a request for an early check-in (our night train from Venice arrived around 8am).

Not only did LM allowed us the early check-in (around 10am), but they provided us a very nice surprise with a bottle of champagne as well. I think one of the rooms were upgraded since it's a corner room with a connecting door, facing the front street (2nd floor, the windows were very efficient). Oh, I want to go back to the Imperial Torte - OMG it was so GOOD!! Very light yet rich. Not sure if it's complimentary due to DH's birthday since I haven't seen LM taking off the points from my account yet. :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/11596783...62500672239682
http://picasaweb.google.com/11596783...62333244366034
http://picasaweb.google.com/11596783...62369694868370
http://picasaweb.google.com/11596783...62398201987122
http://picasaweb.google.com/11596783...62434131356610

SanDiego1K Oct 30, 2010 9:58 pm

That imperial torte is something, isn't it? I, too, was in touch in advance of my birthday stay. They assured me that I could have the torte for 3000 points. They waited til I arrived so that I could sign for the deduction, and then sent someone to the Imperial Hotel to pick it up. The hotels are only about 5 blocks apart.

I was at the hotel for 1 night, checking out on the morning of my birthday. The hotel gave me a suite in a completely sold out hotel. Then, when I checked out, they brought me two tiny boxes of the torte (each an individual serving), a couple helium balloons, and a personal note tied to the balloons that I still have pinned on the board in my office. I left the helium balloons as I was headed to the airport, but thought it all a lovely notice of my birthday. It really left a great impression.

jaejaez Dec 25, 2010 12:15 am

Any recent stays here from anyone?
I understand no breakfasts are offered for platinums... What do they offer for plats then?

Thanks in advance!!:D

puchalskir Dec 25, 2010 10:12 am

I stayed at the end of November. As a plat I received free wi-fi and nothing else.

Braindrain Dec 25, 2010 12:01 pm

I stayed twice in May. Both times, I received awesome upgrades.

I find that this property adheres quite well to SPG rules for Plats. If you don't get an upgrade, chances are they're fully booked - which happens often.