Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Mahwah, NJ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Well I guess William was trying to answer member SWG's question.

Officially, comped breakfast isn't an entitlement even though individual properties have been providing them to the guests on their own will even when their lounge is closed for various reasons.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
I am sorry, but I have problems with your post also. Member SWG's taunting question was in response to my original post, so the answer from Bill should have been in that light only. Now the response from member "hotelfanatic" makes it clear that the Sheraton Marwah hotel staff (including the weekend manager) was rude and trying to pull a fast one on me. Seems like there is no breakfast in the lounge at this hotel even when the lounge is open. Since "hotelfanatic" is there all the time, breakfast is comped for him in the downstairs restaurant everytime. Consistency of service is the hallmark of chain hotels, so why this type of behavior. I might as well stay in "Mr. Patel's" hotel in New Jersey and see what happens?

From that perspective, nothing is entitlement. Your room is not an entitlement either (even if you are paying for the room). The hotel may be overbooked and the hotel may bus you to another "comparable" hotel if there are no rooms and you have a prepaid stay. So I can not demand a room at a certain hotel (same way I can not demand my entitlement to a comped breakfast).

There are certain practices and amenities that are promised with certain loyalty based statuses and we expect them with courtesy not rudeness.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:23 am
SWG

Sounds to me like this place gave you everything you were entitled to and nothing more. Perhaps if you were a regular or on a corporate rate with extras negotiated in you might have fared better on the extra freebies like hotelfanatic.

It sounds like when hotelfanatic stays they are too cheap/lazy to provide breakfast in the lounge there so they give vouchers instead. This is not an uncommon way to save a buck with the economy the way it is (Sheraton Stamford has been doing this lately too). On weekends, forget it. Open lounges are few and far between and I don't walk into a Sheraton expecting one to be open. I do expect my suite upgrades (where applicable) on the weekends and would be pissed if that didn't happen. You appear to have no issues with your suite upgrade which you were, indeed, entitled to. I won't even get started on the free water and internet you expected.

William has answered the question about breakfast when the lounge is closed question more times than I care to keep searching for,but a few URLs are below. It's clear in the T&C. Unfortunately, you got some bad information from SPG when you called.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...t-coupons.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-weekends.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...t-coupons.html

Taunt over.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd
Bill, I am sure you are very knowledgeable on these issues, but somehow your cut and paste answer has no relevance here (as described to me by the Platinum desk). The Plat desk person read the terms and conditions of this particular property and said "if the club lounge is closed, then the plat guests get voucher for free breakfast at onsite restaurant."
I guess we will have to disagree then, but I'll try to pass along the truth of the matter one more time.

You say you spoke to a Plat desk person. This person was wrong if they told you that you should have gotten breakfast vouchers for a closed club level lounge based upon your status in SPG. If, however, you paid for a club level room that came with club lounge access as a part of the amenities of the room type, then I would expect them to give vouchers for a closed club level lounge.

The club lounge was closed on the weekend (during my stay) and I did not get the voucher for the onsite restaurant, even when I asked. If the club lounge was closed and the hotel was too cheap to give out the "onsite restaurant voucher", they could have given a free bottle of water or free internet (especially when I asked).
Complimentary water, at Sheraton-branded hotels, is given on the club level, in SPG-designated rooms, and premium suites only.

How is your answer shedding any light on this? Did the plat desk person I spoke to from the hotel told me something that was incorrect?
It is telling you the truth instead of a fairy tale. Unless I miss my guess, the Plat desk person you spoke to was nowhere near the hotel so probably has no business even speculating about things they don't know about.

As I said earlier, I did not care for the breakfast, but I do get free breakfast at most properties, even places like Aloft (no lounge and no onsite restaurant) gives you free voucher to pick a hot beverage or something like that. So, yes it sort of becomes entitlement when I give thousands of dollars to starwood each year for my business to maintain the plat status!
No matter how you wish to parse it, breakfast is not an entitlement of any level in SPG. If you got it for free somewhere, then good for you, but it doesn't mean that every hotel you stay at going forward is going to be as generous.

Sincerely, I hope that helps you understand that the Sheraton Mahwah did nothing wrong from the perspective of Starwood's expectations, although I'm willing to grant that they did not meet yours and call it a day.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Jun 2, 2009 at 3:00 pm Reason: add an additional Sheraton room type
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thanks

Thanks Bill. This reply was helpful.

I still believe that the practice of giving out BF vouchers during the weekdays (lounge is open, but they give BF vouchers) and not during the weekends is very deceptive. Sheraton Marwah is doing that!

It would be fine if weekday breakfast is provided in the lounge when it is open and there are no breakfast vouchers, period! (Unless the rate included the BF).

Last edited by sjuhawk_jd; Jun 3, 2009 at 2:17 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:37 pm

Any recent experience?
Is there a Club lounge @ the property?
Do they give BF for PLT?

THX
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:48 am

Bumping.

I'm sure someone can report if Breakfast is offered. THX
Old Dec 22, 2010, 1:46 am

Just had a 1 night stay. The hotel was deserted on this Sunday night. Got upgraded to a Junior suite a 21st floor. Was offered a breakfast coupon for a buffet in the resturant as the club was closed for the holidays.
The room itself was very nice and looks as it was recently renovated.

The building itself has to be one the strangest I've ever been in. Looks like it was taken from a star wars movie. The ride in the glass elevator is experience...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I'm booking a club level room. How are those? Worth it?
What is the selection at the club lounge here? Any recent reviews regarding the CL; hours, offerings, staff. Thanks!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Bump!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:32 pm

Bump! Tough crowd...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
I'm booking a club level room. How are those? Worth it?
What is the selection at the club lounge here? Any recent reviews regarding the CL; hours, offerings, staff. Thanks!
The lounge has a nice, panoramic view of the foothills. I don't recall the serving hours, but they are comparable to most Sheratons (6:30-9:00; 17:30-20:00...ish). I missed breakfast, so I can't tell you what the fare is like. The evening spread was a bit odd-- ravioli and salad that looked suspiciously like catering leftovers from one of the events in the meeting halls downstairs. They offer basic cash bar service in the evenings as well, although the wines are supermarket-quality, 1.5L-bottle swill.

The decor and furnishings are not business-friendly. No computers, printers, or expansive tables to do work.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AC *E, SPG Plat, Hertz
Originally Posted by Jazzop
The lounge has a nice, panoramic view of the foothills. I don't recall the serving hours, but they are comparable to most Sheratons (6:30-9:00; 17:30-20:00...ish). I missed breakfast, so I can't tell you what the fare is like. The evening spread was a bit odd-- ravioli and salad that looked suspiciously like catering leftovers from one of the events in the meeting halls downstairs. They offer basic cash bar service in the evenings as well, although the wines are supermarket-quality, 1.5L-bottle swill.

The decor and furnishings are not business-friendly. No computers, printers, or expansive tables to do work.
Breakfast is a basic continental breakfast, with one hot food item.

The hot food item varies, from a basic eqq quiche type thing, to some sort of Quesadilla, and some sweet roll with jam.

They always have a bowl of fresh cut fruits, various cereals and granola, a bunch of different types of pastries, and juices and tea/coffee.

All in all, the breakfast does the job.

I find the wine downstairs in the Atrium Lobby to be a much better deal actually (prices are actually reasonable at the lobby restaurant, and the food is decent).
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:29 pm

Thx for the replies.

I have celiac disease and I have to avoid all wheat gluten, I hope they have eggs, meat, fresh fruits, dairy...
Food at several club lounges are now at Hampton Inn & Fairfield Inn levels, I'm not impressed. Cost cutting, cost cutting... Starch, starch, starch!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 25, 2012 at 8:43 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: SPG
Bump. I spent a few days reading tons of reviews for this property. I missed out on a 106 a night hot escape deal for a queen room traditional room for this friday/saturday night. I came to the conclusion that club level was not worth it so I booked a king pureallurgy room for 121. I have never seen that before but then again I am only a gold member which was earned at 2 properties.

I will give a review of my stay this sunday.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: SPG
Room booked: king pure allergy friendly
Room received: same
Dates booked: September 26 through 28th
SPG status: Gold
Welcome amenity picked: free beverage (blue moon on draft)

Hotel is in the middle of no where. It was what I needed location wise though. Woodbury commons outlet for wife and new city ny for work function. 25 minutes to either location.

Check in was non eventful. The FD was empty at time of check in (late afternoon.) I was offered points, high speed internet, or a free beverage. I inquired about the internet since it was listed in the rate. The free wifi is 2.0mbps while the paid wifi is 5.0mbps. I choose the beverage. There was a hot station set up near the bar with mini grilled cheese sandwiches and chips/salsa. I found that pretty tasty, so did the SO.

The pure allergy rooms are located on the 18th floor and they advertise special in room amenities that are geared toward allergy/dust sensitive people. The most notable room feature is an air purifier made by healthway. The air was clean according to my informal sniff test and the room smelled a bit like a hospital or clean room.

I somehow received a breakfast buffet voucher for the lobby restaurant called the fountain view. The breakfast buffet was enjoyable and contained bacon, sausage links, chipped beef gravy, various fresh fruits, bread, pastries, oatmeal section, and an egg station. I sampled a little of everything and while not the best breakfast I had, it was more than adequate. I had an omlette made with ham and cheese. I was handed the bill by accident and saw it at approx 40 dollars for the SO and myself. Thinking back upon it, yes a little expensive but I would pay for it but for good reason. The food was good and the selection was plentiful.

I had the opportunity to visit the club lounge and see if it was worth the $24 extra per night over my allergy room (45 more than a traditional room) and came to the conclusion of not for me. The breakfast only had 2 hot items of scrambled eggs and potatoes. There was also bread, pastries, and some fruit. The usual beverages and keurig type coffee machine. I would rather steer the extra 48 for 2 nights for breakfast in the lobby restaurant for one morning. I prefer to have sodium laden breakfast meats in my breakfast. It may work for plat members who get club level access as an amenity but for someone paying, no thanks. I almost always pay for the club level at my usual hotel, the Sheraton Tribeca given the breakfast has bacon/sausage and the rooftop terrace.

I ordered room service on the second night and found it to be more than acceptable. Total bill was around 40 dollars (seems like a reoccurring number for us two, 20 bucks a person.) We had a bistro burger with bacon, cheese, avocados, and fries. I had a tomato and mozzarella salad. I would have ordered more but I was not in a mood to eat too much. Food was delivered within 25 minutes and the SO ate most of her burger.

This hotel participates in the SPG more for you program (I think that is what it is called) when you get 2x the points for a 2+ night stay and 3x if that stay includes a friday/saturday. I could have skimped and stayed for 1 night but this deal sealed it and I booked 2 nights. I earned 582 base points (then 50% gold bonus) so I expect to earn 3 x the 582 points within the 2-4 week posting time as per SPG.

The property also does the green choice program. I did not participate in that but it said either 500 points or a $5 food voucher.

I would definitely stay again at this property if I am in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.