Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l380
Print Wikipost

Mystique - Santorini, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:12 pm

Yep, I think a lot of us can exhale. At least, Mystique won't be horrible! I think I am debating between Katikies and Kirini.

MoCheex, if you happen to walk through Kirini, I would appreciate a quick blurb. (you should charge part of your trip to Flyer Talk as a roving correspondent). Thanks again!

Originally Posted by nnn
Thanks again, MoCheex! That definitely helps the cause for Mystique. I've also e-mailed the hotel for some photos, given that the website doesn't have any.

I look forward to what you have to say about Katikies's rooms. Also, is the pool at Katikies much larger than Mystique's, or is the difference pretty small?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:27 pm

Great to read a report from someone who actually stayed there! The price paid (including the 4th free night) actually comes to under 300Euros/night, including breakfast and airport transfers. That sounds quite reasonable. The 700/night I saw on the website, is NOT!

I am quite certain that the path passing through the property is a public path. There are only maybe two small traditional residences served by this path (you'll discover them if you keep following it), so you will rarely (if ever) see anyone else on it, but it is public. This is in contrast to most of the other properties in Oia which are situated at dead ends of paths, meaning that they can gate off the paths winding through them (and they do!), preventing just anyone from wandering in.

MoCheex's review is pretty much what I expected from a Mystique review. It is in Oia, so it comes with stunning views and a relaxing atmosphere. But it seems that the experience of staying there doesn't ADD to the Santorini experience in the same way that staying at a Luxury Collection Property should. In retrospect, I think my main problem with it may have been that it is branded as Luxury Collection. I would have been much more impressed if it were a W. That could have suited it much better . . .

Luxury Collection says to me, traditional Luxury in an exclusive location, and the Mysitique isn't that. It's decor is not traditional Santorini, and the location isn't exclusive (it is surrounded by other hotels/ rental properties/ traditional houses). Branded as a W, it could play up its modern edge a bit more and be a truly unique property on the island. It even might make the steps seem more acceptable.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:49 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
MoCheex--

I really appreciate the extra notes.

Some properties are difficult to explain and this sounds like one of them.
Your descriptions really help.

I think we would want to know in advance which room we were staying in-- but the property still sounds interesting to me--

thanks again
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:21 pm

Question Thoughts on a Wedding at Mystique?

MoCheex--

Thanks again for your detailed posts!! They have been most helpful!!! My fiance and I are going to Oia in October to get married, and being that we've never actually been there, it's tough to know what choices to make. One option we are considering is Mystique, which seems like a viable option after reading your review(s). Can you give me any insight as to how the wedding pergola they have is set up? Is there a good view from there? We are going to Oia with our photographer in tow, so we want the backdrop to be stunning in the photos. As far as the room interior goes, I think maybe less is more in this instance, since the shots of us getting ready don't really need anything all that opulent to get stunning shots. Like you and your wife, we are more adventurous, and intend to spend more time out and about than in our room.

Would love to hear your recommendations on a spot for the ceremony, as well as whether you think the minimalist decor would prove to be enough of a backdrop to shoot the "getting ready before the ceremony" shots. Feel free to keep any responses about this short and sweet and as time permits...you are on your honeymoon, after all!!!!

One last thing - on the Starwoods site, they list "florist" as one of the services available...have you seen a floral shop on site, or is this something they arrange with a local florist not actually IN the hotel?

We are also considering the honeymoon suite at Oia Castle, which looks lovely/rich in decor, but has the bare minimum in service (ie: they drop breakfast outside your door in the morning and cleaning your room and that's it). No restaurant on site, no pool, no "extras" of any kind, and for basically the same price. The one redeeming factor is the location at the 'top' of the area, just in front of where everyone congregates to watch the sunset...which could mean no privacy, especially since our wedding ceremony will be at sunset. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks in advance for any and all help! Hope you're having a great trip!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sockboy
Luxury Collection says to me, traditional Luxury in an exclusive location, and the Mysitique isn't that. It's decor is not traditional Santorini, and the location isn't exclusive (it is surrounded by other hotels/ rental properties/ traditional houses).
There are a whole lot of Luxury Collection hotels that do not meet your criteria. In reality Luxury Collection simply means they can sell it at a higher price than other nearby hotels. Think Sheraton Sukhumvit which is Luxury Collection but isn't in any way traditional or exclusive.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:35 pm

That certainly doesn't apply here. I think what was intended was that having a "W" at the island would give Starwood a brand identity that would help market itself. When you have a Relais Chateaux a block down the street (not to mention plain ol' Katikies), I don't think a "Luxury Collection" hotel "fits" in Oia. Also, Starwood can't justify charging a higher price given the other [arguably] better options.

Originally Posted by stimpy
There are a whole lot of Luxury Collection hotels that do not meet your criteria. In reality Luxury Collection simply means they can sell it at a higher price than other nearby hotels. Think Sheraton Sukhumvit which is Luxury Collection but isn't in any way traditional or exclusive.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Random987
Also, Starwood can't justify charging a higher price given the other [arguably] better options.
If they actually sell the rooms, then they are justified. If they can't sell the rooms at those prices then they will make some sort of change.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:54 pm

I definitely agree. The strange thing is that they are not the most expensive resort in Oia and they still place their property in the Luxury Collection? I wonder if this will perturb any Starwood folks who feel relatively let down by the property. When I think Luxury, I think "wow", not "I'm fairly happy with the property, its a nice location." That said, Starwood can do whatever they want.

Originally Posted by stimpy
If they actually sell the rooms, then they are justified. If they can't sell the rooms at those prices then they will make some sort of change.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:59 am

When an owner expresses interest in opening a Luxury Collection property, I wonder if starwood does any kind of research to determine if the classification is deserved, or if it simply is a case of proposed room revenue.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: UAL:1K, DL:Plat, CO:Plat, HH:Diamond, SPG:Plat
I will post pics from the wedding that was held while we were at Mystique. It looked beautiful. Very small (maybe 25 people) but beautiful. There is no florist on side but the managers can set you up with whatever you may need. I would think the getting ready shots would be nice and the actual wedding veranda has an infinity edge and would be beautiful. The wedding that was going on had the reception at the restaurant of the Mystique and they rearranged the tables in a “U” so that everyone had a water view. It looked really nice. Not really a place to dance but a great place for a quiet family wedding.

We left this morning and were very sorry to say goodbye to Santorini and Mystique. We toured around Katikies yesterday and I would have to say I prefer the Mystique on an absolute basis. It is more peaceful, private and the staff at Mystique seemed a little friendlier. A little less refined but to me that is a positive.

Mrs. Mo Cheex and I were sitting on the pool deck yesterday and had been hearing the wonderful music they play through the speaker system. She inquired about the music and 15 minutes later they dropped off a copy of the CD for us to take along with us. It was an incredibly unexpected and nice surprise. We are sitting in our room at the Santa Marina in Mykonos listening to the CD and wishing we were still at Mystique.

On the luxury collection debate I tend to agree with Stimpy and would actually put the Mystique on the upper middle end of the luxury collection. I re-familiarized myself with the luxury collection list and some of the properties are not all that impressive and certainly don’t add to the location or enhance it. The Mystique is nicer than a lot of the other properties in Oia and is very peaceful and relaxing. The intimacy of the property adds a lot to the stay.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 3:45 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I've decided to book with Mystique. Thanks again, MoCheex, for your detailed reviews. They definitely helped sway me toward Mystique.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your honeymoon.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:57 am

Here is a recent article:

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle1869867.ece

From The Sunday Times
June 3, 2007
Europe's coolest new hotels
Right across the continent, cool new places to stay are opening up. Here, Susan d’Arcy lists the best. So, what are you waiting for?
undefined
Susan d'Arcy
If you love hotels, this summer will be a good one. Across Europe, there is a host of smart new places to stay, from radically chic boutiques in Paris and Milan to stripped-down seaside hideaways in Croatia and Capri. Here’s our pick of the glossy new addresses; just make sure you get in there before the crowds catch on.
Unless stated, all hotel prices are on a B&B basis
GREECE MYSTIQUE, Santorini
Lounging on a balcony at Mystique, in the village of Oia, might be the most romantic way to watch the sun set yet devised. It slinks behind Santorini’s volcanic caldera with sylphlike grace. The island is lush with gorgeous honeymoon hotels, but Mystique, opened last month, threatens to beat them all. Its 18 villas are carved into the cliff face, each overlooking the caldera, and every one flat-screened and hi-fi’d. There’s locally quarried limestone on the floor, original art on the walls, cushions clad in antique textiles. Shame that the name conjures up visions of a tight-trousered 1970s lounge band.
Related Links
* 20 top European hotels
* Europe's best family-friendly hotels
* World's hottest hotels
Details: 00 30 22 860 71114, www.mystique.gr; doubles from £280. Excel Airways (0870 320 7777, www.xl.com) flies from Gatwick, Manchester and Newcastle.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:26 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Random987
Here is a recent article:

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle1869867.ece
. . .
GREECE MYSTIQUE, Santorini
Lounging on a balcony at Mystique, in the village of Oia, might be the most romantic way to watch the sun set yet devised. It slinks behind Santorini’s volcanic caldera with sylphlike grace. The island is lush with gorgeous honeymoon hotels, but Mystique, opened last month, threatens to beat them all. Its 18 villas are carved into the cliff face, each overlooking the caldera, and every one flat-screened and hi-fi’d. There’s locally quarried limestone on the floor, original art on the walls, cushions clad in antique textiles. Shame that the name conjures up visions of a tight-trousered 1970s lounge band.
Thanks for posting that. Nice to hear something positive. Though I wonder how close of a look they actually took.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:26 pm

I know it is a bit off topic, but Kirni is in this month's Robb Report LuxuryResorts magazine. Top 100 Ultimate Escapes.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT TIT
another review

Thanks, MoCheex, for the wonderful trip report. It perfectly recapped my recent experience at Mystique. I checked in on the day that Mocheex checked out and spent 3 fabulous nights at this resort. There is little I could add to what has already been reported. I will instead comment on my experience as a platinum member and some observation of different suite configurations. I will also post a few pictures of the suites and the resort ground.

Platinum Treatment:

There wasn’t much of recognition of platinum status or mention of any special amenity upon check in. The receptionist was fairly vague about any designated platinum benefits and said that they were still developing their loyalty recognition program. Everyone seemed to have received the special welcome amenity of sweet liquor and preserved fruits and gotten the fruit plate that was replenished daily. We had a one-category suite upgrade from Vibrant to Allure, paying the same package rate as the MoCheex. I can’t get a definitive answer to whether more generous upgrade may be offered to Platinum if the suites are available. During our stay, the resort was fully committed according to the receptionist.

Rooms:

We were assigned suite #4. Due to the steep drop off of the cliff, the suites are staggered on many different levels. But essentially, they can be grouped into 3 different tiers. The highest tier includes suite 1 to 8 and the second tier includes suite 9 to 16 and the pool deck. The restaurant and the pool separate the second and the third tier of rooms. The third tier and the most bottom one houses the 2 villas.

Based on very general survey of the resort layout, suite 1, 2, 9, 10 and the 2 villas are the most private, as they are on the periphery of the resort with their terraces out of sight from people walking through the resort. According to the unsubstantiated opinion of one housekeeping staff, suite 8 has one of the most expansive view of the caldera.

Like MoCheex said, each suite is unique in its size and arrangement. Our suite has a very generous sized terrace. The pathway that leads to our suite is only shared by one other suite (#3), giving our suite and terrace slightly more privacy. Because the terrace is fairly deep, we can’t really see the other suites while lounging on the chairs and I assume others can’t see us as readily. The trade off is that the windows of the suite were further set back from the caldera, so you get more of a horizon view of the sea rather than one the more dramatic cliff view. The interior is pretty much how MoCheex had described, except that the bedroom area in our suite was larger than the living room.

For me the bathroom is the highlight of the suite. Nearly as large as the bedroom, it houses a generous size Jacuzzi tub (much smaller than the one the MoCheex hd enjoyed, it seems) and separate shower with rain shower showerhead. I like the windows at both the tub and the shower that open onto the terrace, providing natural light and breathtaking view. The only complaint I have is that due to the cave design of the room, the ceiling in the shower area is fairly low. As a result, the showerhead sits at the level of my height 5’9”, causing a few bumpage incidents. Other rooms may not have this problem based on the layout. The bath towels are of excellent quality and are huge and fluffy. The bathrobe was easily the most comfortable hotel robes I’ve had on. The bath products are De Luxe Spa from Ex Voto Paris and are replenished as needed.

The location of the resort, being off the main road leading into Oia rather than the pedestrian walkway, has its advantages and disadvantages. The road is rather narrow and is shared by pedestrians and car traffic going in both directions. It is not uncommon to see a major traffic jams, especially with all the buses going in and out of Oia. It is a little unnerving to have to watch for cars and buses whipping right next to you as you carefully make your way to the pedestrian walkway. MoCheex must be a fast walker; it takes me more than a few minutes to walk from the resort to the pedestrian walkway. In that regard, Katikies is better located right off the pedestrian walkway with no car traffic to deal with. Not sure how it is at Katikies, you don’t have a view of the sunset at Mystique.

On the other hand, Mystique’s location offers more privacy when compared with Katikies. You can’t see Mystique from the road due to the steepness of the cliff at that location; you have to take a few steps down from the road in order to see the resort below. In contrast, nearly all of Katkities is visible, from a distance, while standing on the pedestrian walkway. The terraces at Mystique also appear to be far more generous in size than those at Katikies. My disclaimer is that I haven’t had the good fortune of staying at Katikies, so my assessment could be inaccurate.

Services:

When I stayed at Vedema 2 years ago, I had enjoyed the use of the hotel van to go back and forth between Fira, the private beach, and the hotel. I inquired about similar services from Mystique and was told that the complementary transportation is limited to arrival and departure to and from airport/port. I’m not sure if the guest at Mystique is welcomed to use the facility at Vedema or its beach.

Overall impression:

I thought the color scheme of the resort and the interior of the room worked very well. It is softer on the eyes and more inviting than the stark white and blue palette that typifies that other resorts. The sense that Mocheex expressed about the resort being unfinished could be partly due to adjacent properties that appears to be abandoned. There remained a few suites off to the side of resort that have not been renovated. While we were there, there was a photographer taking pictures for the website and brochure. The sharper eyes might have noticed that the pictures on their website and brochure are from the resort’s former incarnation. I really enjoyed my stay at the resort. The service, while not the most refined, is more than attentive, and the staffs were all exceedingly friendly. For the price (compared with Katikies) and point earning potential, I would still consider staying at Mystique when I return to Oia.

I'm not too familiar with posting pictures on this site. Let me know if you can't open the link.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb142/wl2858/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.