Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
My girlfriend and I were the only non-Jewish people there. YMMV
MMDV.

(My mileage definitely varied.)

Then again, I didn't engage in any religious discussions with any other hotel guests, so I really don't know.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
MMDV.

(My mileage definitely varied.)

Then again, I didn't engage in any religious discussions with any other hotel guests, so I really don't know.
Ooh, lets turn this into an OMNI thread

You went during Easter.
I now know that I went during the peak winter Jewish travel season (Dec 24-31).
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
I spent 12/26-12/30 at the Sheraton in PV and I couldn't begin to guess the religious affiliations of the guests. Did someone take a survey at the Westin?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Ooh, lets turn this into an OMNI thread

You went during Easter.
I now know that I went during the peak winter Jewish travel season (Dec 24-31).
I have any number of responses I could select for this, but there's one thing that's preventing me from using them: before the Jewish blast, this was a good thread about Westin PVR, and for the sake of others, I hope it doesn't get closed.

I think we've established that there is nothing unusual religiously-speaking about the Westin or PVR in general, so I'm happy to move on.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I have any number of responses I could select for this, but there's one thing that's preventing me from using them: before the Jewish blast, this was a good thread about Westin PVR, and for the sake of others, I hope it doesn't get closed.

I think we've established that there is nothing unusual religiously-speaking about the Westin or PVR in general, so I'm happy to move on.
I think blast is an incorrect and inproper term. You're making assumptions and conculsions on your own basis, not mine.

But I'm more than happy to move on as well, and its a helpful post to the board to know the demographics of the hotel when you visited in Easter
Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:46 pm

I think blast is an incorrect and inproper term. You're making assumptions and conculsions on your own basis, not mine.

But I'm more than happy to move on as well, and its a helpful post to the board to know the demographics of the hotel when you visited in Easter
You and your girlfriend were the only non-Jewish people there? And I'm the one making assumptions and conclusions?

<-- Do they make a bigger one of these?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 6:23 pm

You and your girlfriend were the only non-Jewish people there? And I'm the one making assumptions and conclusions?

<-- Do they make a bigger one of these?
Again, YMMV
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, US CP, *W Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Haven't stayed there, but just saw it on a Travel Channel special for 'top 10 Mexican beach resorts) (along w/my personal fave, Westin Regina Cabo San Lucas). TC usually repeats these frequently...definitely check it out!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 4:51 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Anyone stayed there recently? I'm debating using my Plat 50 percent off starpoints to stay here, but after many, many trips to Cancun, I'm spoiled by the gorgeous aqua water. The beach comments in this thread tend to turn me off this property. I stayed once at the Intercontinental in PV but it was so far away I didn't see much. Still, I wonder if this is overall the best Starwood property in PV? My options are to go back to Cancun, but the Meridien there is a category 4, taking more starpoints than this Westin would.

Just curious if anyone has stayed recently and if the beach is really that bad?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:10 am

Best *W property in PV, although the El Careyes resort south of PV looks impressive

Although since its a Cat 3, are you maximizing the value of that offer?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Looking for info

I'm using my Plat 50 percent Starpoints deal to stay 4 nights at the end of this month at PV Westin. I'm curious as to how often Plats get upgrades to suites, and if this is better/worse than the Sheraton in PV. Also, do they have those shuttles at the airport like in Cancun where you pay about 15 bucks to share a van with other people going to hotels? I recall taking a cab last time I went to PV but that was 3 years ago.

I'd appreciate any info you could give me- I'm hoping I made the right choice as far as booking this over the Sheraton. I have 1 meeting but other than that will be spending all my time at the pool/beach getting sun. I appreciate a nice pool area with waiters and a beach you can walk along at night without feeling uncomfortable.

I'm VERY interested in upgrades as I have booked a "deluxe King room with balcony and ocean view" using points. I usually book 1st night as a regular stay which I think helps with the upgrades, but am unsure at this place. I know I get access to Beach Club b/c I'm a Plat, but if I'm soley using points for my stay, does that hinder my chance of a suite? I hear they have bi-level suites- anyone ever get one?

Also- how is the tv? As I'm traveling alone for 3 of the nights, I usually stay in. I know that the Starwood hotels in Cancun and Cabo have American channels, but what about Westin Puerto Vallarta? I see they have pay movies but do they have American channels?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:28 pm

Thumbs up Concierge at Westin Puerto Vallarta: Fantastic!

Hi: If you are travelling to Puerto Vallarta Westin say hi to Josephina, the Starwood Preferred Guest Concierge, from the Canadian lady who hurt her ankle. The service at the the Westin was fantastic, the lounge had a fully stocked bar and food nightly. Josephina went above the call of duty arranging calls to doctors, translating with the hospital, trips in their van were offered without asking for help. She anticipated every need.The staff helped when needed and refused tips. What a comparison to the Sheraton where the accident happened ( however Lulu the concierge did what seh could while on duty).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:33 pm

1. Westin PV has American channels - caught lots of the bowl games (CNN, ESPN at least)
2. They only have 11 suites, so I'm not sure how upgrades work - as a Plat I didn't get one
3. Beach is fine to walk along at night, although if you want a quiet beach walk, it might not be the best place as http://www.nikkibeach.com is right next door
4. A taxi from the airport to the hotel is US$15. A taxi from the hotel to the airport should be no more than 50 Pesos. (US$5). No need for a shuttle?
5. Unbelievable pool (there's 4 - but you'll have to fight for primo seating). Waiters aren't as attentive as you would like, but they also don't bother you as well unnecessarily
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, I was quite interested that I didn't come across a single timeshare salesperson while I was there.
IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

(Unless you mean the just at the Westin) Anywhere else they are numerous as the Grains of sand on the beach.

Cheers
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hertz Gold, AGR, Delta Silver
I just got back from the Westin PVR on Sunday night with my girlfriend. I stayed for 5 nights and booked a Honeymoon Suite eventhough we weren't on our honeymoon. The room wasn't very big for a suite, but the porch was amazing. We had two chez lounge chairs and a jacuzzi on the porch that overlooked the ocean. I was an unreal view.

Some say the food is overpriced, but since I live in New York I actually thought the prices were cheap. Lunch for the two of us was about $38 US, two entrees, a bottle of water and tip.

The pools are very busy, but people go down and lay a towel out on a chair and don't come back for a few hours. We didn't have to hijack any chairs, but I would have. According to the towel guy, reserving chairs isn't allowed. Also, don't sit by the Club Regina pool unless you have kids. At around 11:30 am there is a Mexican clown that shouts into a PA system and can get really annoying if you're trying to relax.

The Platinum benefits are really good. The club in the 12th floor serves a real breakfast (eggs, sausage, pancakes, french toast, etc.) buffet style from 7-11 and opens for appetizers and drinks from 5-7p. If you want apps, get there on the early side because when we got there at 6:30, they were all gone. The gym is also free for platinum members, $7 US otherwise. It's actually a really nice gym, unless you want free weights, and it's pretty big.

If you play tennis, they have 3 grass courts. It's not too much for an hour to rent a court, something like $15 US.

There are two convenience stores across the street from the hotel. They have pretty much every snack that's in the mini bar. So if you happen to open a pepsi or the mexican version of chips ahoy, you can buy them across the street for a total of 11 pesos. Otherwise, the hotel will charge you about 75 pesos.

There is also a bus that you can pick up across the street from the hotel that costs 5 pesos which will take you downtown. A taxi was about $7 US.

If you want some restaurants send me a PM and I'll tell you where we went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.