Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Sean Hanley
Does anyone know if it is possible to book a Royal Beach Club room with points? I've done it several times at the Cancun Westin, but when I called SPG directly they said it was not possible. I'm willing to keep trying different reps if someone has had success because we love the free breakfasts & happy hour. Thank you!
If it is of interest, hotels will also sometimes let you book a standard room with points and then pay cash to upgrade to a higher category by contacting the hotel directly. I did that at this hotel upgrading a prepaid cash rate to a higher category, I imagine they might be willing to do the same for a room booked with points.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I stayed here... oh, at least 10 years ago. Is the large collection of "life sized" Oaxacan wood carvings that used to be featured in the lobby area gone now?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premiere, United Premiere, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Any Recent Stays as Platinum?

-Can I choose the full breakfast buffet as platinum amenity? Sounds like the club offerings are a bit slim, so wondering what my options are.
-How is the marina these days? Haven't been since 2012 - are there still lots of great options there? Is it mostly occupied?
-Any word on the room re-modeling? I imagine this hasn't started yet?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
deleted

Last edited by skipmnyc; Mar 30, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mstrg325
-Can I choose the full breakfast buffet as platinum amenity?
Only if the club is closed. Personally I did not mind the club breakfast, and the service is good and personal.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:59 pm
SST

Club breakfast was a total disappointment after the wonderful restaurant breakfast we had two years ago. How ordinary. Ah, well.....
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Maid Tip automatically added to folio

Checking out of th Westin Puerto Vallarta and noticed they included the MXN equivalent of $USD 5/night as "Maid tips".

I think this is pretty low class to put it on your bill, and also think it's a lot. I totally believe being a housekeeper is tough/crappy work. Hotels should pay them sufficiently and guests can leave specific tips if the service is exemplary. But to automatically get $5/night from every room suggests the hotel can then underpay the staff from their own pocket. Also question whether this is all going to the housekeeping staff.

What do you guys think? Does SPG even allow this?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Did your confirmation say anything about a mandatory maid tip? If not & you don't want to tip, tell them to take it off the folio.

Cheers.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I'd request that it be removed from the folio. Tell them you'll leave an appropriate tip for housekeeping in the room if you feel it appropriate.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:56 am

When it is automatically added to your bill it is no longer a tip but a fee.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I've had UNICEF donations automatically added to my folio at checkout as well. It can be removed of course. So it all depends. If these charges can be removed on request - it's annoying but not harmful. If they cannot - I consider them a resort fee. And personally I hate those and try my best not to patronize hotels that use them.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
SPG has nothing to do with what a hotel charges. SPG is a loyalty program. Starwood/Marriott allows setting of local fees - why else would we have all those resort fees?

What rate plan were you on? Was it a group rate? There are different negotiated rates where some gratuities are part of the package. I see this all the time at hotels I've worked at.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow. I always tip the maids, but I would not be happy seeing that charge on the bill and would ask to have it removed.

Pretty sure the full $5 is not getting passed to the maid.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since I leave cash tips daily for housekeeping, I'd insist it be removed. Or leave it on and let me watch the front desk pull the money out of the cash drawer and hand it to a maid.
What I won't do is trust that one dime of an SPG folio charge is ever ever going to see the housekeeper's pocket.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:42 am

Yes, Starwood allows this sort of thing provided it's disclosed. I did a dummy booking and didn't see any additional fees disclosed in either a prepaid or standard booking.

Before jumping to conclusions that the hotel management is being underhanded (and possibly stealing a portion of this from their housekeeping staff), why not address your questions to the Front Desk?

I used to work in a hotel where we added Bell Stand fees to room bills for our tour groups. But, it was part of the contracts for these groups. Perhaps this hotel does something similar and the fee just got accidentally posted to your room. Without asking, you'll never know if this is sleazy business practice or a simple case of human error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.