Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2009, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The hotel's website does say "Our energetic and stylish Manhattan Beach hotel has a resort feel". So the website states it is a "resort" wannabe.
The hotel was built in the 1980s as a Radisson. I stayed there back in the latter '80s when I attended a training class in nearby offices, and I think that Radisson did call it a 'resort', due to the golf course.
Old May 31, 2009, 2:48 pm

Renaissance Hollywood is on the Red Line Subway

There is a Red Line subway station in the Hollywood and Highland Center, adjacent to the Renaissance Hollywood which can take you north to Universal Studios or south to downtown Los Angeles and Union Station, adjacent to Olvera Street and Chinatown. It makes it a slightly better location if you do not have a car.

Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
With no car, the Renaissance Hollywood is close to all the usual tourist attractions for that area (stars, chinese theatre, etc). plus it's a great hotel with great staff. views from the rooms are either the chinese theatre or the hollywood sign.

but without a car you're limited to that area. if you want something more relaxing, i'd go for the waterfront hotels too. depending on your kids' ages, there's always marriott anaheim - right across from the disney front gate which is also a nice property. you walk half a block through a tree lined path to the disney gates. (ie, parking lot). on the other side of the lot is the main entrance.
Old May 31, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Avis First, Starwood Diamond
Resort

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
RESORT

who told you this was a resort?

its not marketed as one, it doesn't call it self one, i've never seen it mentioned on here as a resort?

where did that come from?
The last time I stayed there it said resort on my receipt. I am pretty familiar with the LA properties, and I am pretty sure that it was at least considered a resort until recently. There is a 9-hole golf course in the back and an entire tennis center.

If they stopped calling themselves a resort, great, because it is nothing of the sort. But it most certainly was considered a resort the last time I checked in as recently as late last year.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheWorld
The last time I stayed there it said resort on my receipt. I am pretty familiar with the LA properties, and I am pretty sure that it was at least considered a resort until recently. There is a 9-hole golf course in the back and an entire tennis center.

If they stopped calling themselves a resort, great, because it is nothing of the sort. But it most certainly was considered a resort the last time I checked in as recently as late last year.
Ive stayed there a ton and I'm not arguing with your description..its not a great property; but I've never seen resort on my receipt
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
I'll echo the person who suggested the Renaissance Hollywood. If you're into theater, there's always something going on at the Pantages a few blocks away, and there's usually a shuttle running from the Hollywood and Highland complex. Also like the Italian restaurant, Trastavere, in that same complex.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
Not sure I saw what your intentions were on the couple of days. If you are looking at amusement parks (disneyland/knotts), they staying in Anahiem makes sense. If you want the beach, Santa Monica, or Marina Del Rey (near venice beach) make sense. If you want other touristy type events -- Go to the Renaissance Hollywood. You can see BHills along with all the Hollywood events, and it is likely there will be a premier to some movie during the week.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:52 pm

LA property for family vacation?

Hey guys, I will be in LA with my family for a week.

I would like a near the beach, would love to be in santa monica. It has to be nice but not so expensive... There are a lot of options but I dont know them.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by EZETravel

I would like a near the beach, would love to be in santa monica. It has to be nice but not so expensive... There are a lot of options but I dont know them.

Any suggestions?
Hi there. You might want to do a search (upper right corner of this forum) on Los Angeles & read through thread titles to find those that might apply to you & then read them.

I'd probably recommend the Marina del Rey FS Marriott depending on pricing for the week you'll be there. There's LeMerigot in Santa Monica very near the beach, but it's expensive.

As VickiSoCal said in another thread asking about LA properties, what do you intend to do during your week - lay at the beach, sightsee, shop? What does 'not so expensive' mean - ie, price range you're looking at? Are you ok w/ being a mile or so from the beach & not FS properties?

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
What are you doing in LA other than beach? If you are looking for Disney, try maybe Newport Beach. While not on the beach, it is close enough to enjoy it (a couple miles to either Big Corona or the Balboa Island Ferry which will get you over to Balboa Pier and beaches) and also close enough to Disney. If you're not doing the typical LA/OC tourist stuff, why not consider the Marriott Ventura which is very close to the beach and about an hour north of LA off the 101.

Unfortunately Marriott and near the beach in southern California don't always go hand in hand. You didn't say if you were working and the family wanted to enjoy the trip while you worked. If it's just a leisurely vacation and you're looking at beach properties, Ventura or the property in Dana Point are both near the water (although Dana Point is walking distance to the harbor and a couple of miles from the beach), and price point depends on time of year you're visiting. There's also the Ritz at the edge of Laguna Beach which is fantastic, but price point can be a challenge.

Unlike the previous poster who encourages a search, I don't mind helping out but I don't have enough information to make an informed decision because I don't know what you plan to do in the area.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Unlike the previous poster who encourages a search, I don't mind helping out but I don't have enough information to make an informed decision because I don't know what you plan to do in the area.
Well I don't mind helping out either, which is why I provided some info & asked some questions which would allow us to help the OP further with recommendations .

It also doesn't hurt to let a FTer know about search capabilities & how to use it (not all know), and suggest they read thread titles to see if there are any of interest to them, as those threads also can provide information. It's not the first time we've gotten a "I'm going to be in LA w/ my family, where should we stay" question, nor will it be the last, so there are actual threads the OP could look at to garner additional information to help make his choice.

As you & I have both noted, family vacation near Santa Monica that's not too expensive doesn't provide a great deal of info, so hopefully he'll come back & augment the information provided.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:54 am

I have the other thread comparin RC marina del rey or JW Marriott... I was toward RC but now maybe im toward JW... hehe...

What is that Dana point? never heard of that.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EZETravel

Any suggestions?
You would get better answers if you would provide more information.

How many people in the family?

What does "nice" mean to you? Luxury? Size? Amenities?

What does "not so expensive" mean to you? Under $400? Under $300? Under $200? Under $100?

Do you like Santa Monica because it has a beach or because of its shopping and dining?

How flexible are you about other cities along the coast? How about Orange County?

What do you plan to do in the Los Angeles area other than going to the the beach? Disneyland? Art museums? Other museums?

With a family, I always recommend checking for Residence Inns. It's great to have a 2-bedroom apartment-style room, with a kitchen and all the advantages of multiple rooms (such as allowing different bed times and different TV channels).
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:19 am

Not sure why the OP created a 2nd thread re: his stay given he already had one going re: 2 properties:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ou-choose.html

But for those who want a bit more info on what he's evaluating/looking for, click on the link. FWIW - other than beach & SM, he really hasn't given many details in that thread either.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
LA-area Hotel

Will be in the LA area, visiting a friend, so hoping to get some advice on which Marriott to choose.

We'll need to be near Cerritos, so would like to stay close-ish. But would also like to be near/with easy access to a beach, but doesn't necessarily have to be right on a beach (willing to drive a bit to either place). I'd like a full service brand, and will be traveling with our 4 month old. Not planning on going to Disney, so would prefer not to do the hotels with the mostly Disney crowd in that part of Anaheim.

I've currently got rooms booked at the Long Beach Marriott (looked at the Ren, but too expensive on my dates) and also at Redondo Beach Marriott (I know...not really beach, really Torrnce). From what I see in reviews, etc. the Long Beach one looks to be a bit better...price-wise, they are pretty close. But the thing that really struck me is the room size - the rooms in Long Beach seem to be double the size of Redondo Beach (450 sq. feet vs. 225). Both hotels (and the other one's I've kind of looked at more quickly) seem to have lounges closed on the weekend, which is a bit unfortunate, but as I understand, should get free breakfast at the restaurant as a gold anyway (correct?).

Anyone with experience at either or preferably both of these hotels that can compare them? Are there other area properties that I should be looking at instead?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you familiar with SoCal traffic?

Freeways can clog up at any time, but are especially likely to be clogged in a very extended morning and afternoon/evening drive, and often also can be quite clogged on weekends. So much so that we have a radio station (1070 KNX) which gives traffic reports every 10 minutes 24/7 (with a few exceptions) "on the 5s".

With than in mind, you may want to look at closeness using surface streets, not just rely on freeways. And with that metric, Redondo Beach seems mighty far from Cerritos. Long Beach is in fact about the closest beach area to Cerritos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.