Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waterfront - Tampa/St Pete Area?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2006, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold

Can anyone recommend a waterfront Marriott property in the Tampa/St Pete area? Will be driving from Orlando back to NC in June, and would like to spend a day or two at the beach.

Other non-Tampa suggestions are also an option...just something somewhat on the way back to NC.

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2006, 3:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I suggest the Vinoy (Renn. in St. Pete) or Marriott Waterfront (Tampa).
Neither are on the beach, but are both on the water. Ren. Vinoy is a block from the St. Pete Pier.

Both are world class locations. I am partial to the Vinoy because of its rich history as an old historic hotel. (I live blocks away, but when they run dirt cheap rates, my wife and I stay).

Believe that is the only two in this area.
Old May 4, 2006, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Marriott Waterfront is very nice

Originally Posted by jdvoigt
Can anyone recommend a waterfront Marriott property in the Tampa/St Pete area? Will be driving from Orlando back to NC in June, and would like to spend a day or two at the beach.

Other non-Tampa suggestions are also an option...just something somewhat on the way back to NC.

Thanks!
I just got back this week from the Marriott Waterfront, which was really nice and really crowded. Since it is walking distance to the covention center, I would suggest booking early.
Old May 4, 2006, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Totally agree with Johnathonsullivan. Both properties are great but the Rennaisance is over ther top.
Old May 4, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Vinoy is Marriott's world-class resort in the Bay area. It's right on Tampa Bay, overlooking a marina, but not directly on a beach (although there are two smaller beaches nearby). However, it's located in a park area, with beautiful walks along the water.

In Clearwater Beach (actually Sand Key), in the Bay area, the Marriott Suites is on Tampa Bay, across the street from a very long beach.

The Marriott Suites is a nice property; the Vinoy very special. (If you choose the Vinoy, ask for a balcony water view room in the new tower).

Last edited by ohmark; May 4, 2006 at 7:42 pm
Old May 4, 2006, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
While both Waterside and Vinoy are both excellent choices I prefer the Vinoy for all of the reasons listed below
Old May 5, 2006, 6:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Sorry! I forgot about the clearwater Marriott Suites. I have had family over there, and it is on the beach. But my recommendation remains the same, stay at the vinoy, and the drive to the beach...

Definitely agree with the new tower with water views. Other rooms to try to get are the old presidential suite (on a private floor in the old building). I have gotten it as a platnum and well worth it. Also in the new building, the first floor rooms have jacuzzi's on the balcony...

I must say my favorite is still the old suite, you can just feel the history in that room, and it is nice, but not over the top.
Old May 5, 2006, 7:17 am

[QUOTE=jonathansullivan]Sorry! I forgot about the clearwater Marriott Suites. I have had family over there, and it is on the beach.

Definitely agree with the new tower with water views. Other rooms to try to get are the old presidential suite (on a private floor in the old building). I have gotten it as a platnum and well worth it. Also in the new building, the first floor rooms have jacuzzi's on the balcony...
QUOTE]

One slight correction: the Marriott Suites is on an intercoastal, but across the street from the beach (you need to cross the main street and either walk through the Sheraton property or detour through a county park, or take a hotel shuttle). Also, as to the first floor jacuzzis at the Vinoy; you need to know that what you trade for the jacuzzis is the beautiful view of the harbor which you get from the balcony rooms higher than the second floor. It's a fair trade; depending on whether you prefer you own private outdoor jacuzzi or a beautiful view.

Last edited by ohmark; Aug 24, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Old May 5, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: Companion Pass Holder, Marriott Rewards Silver Elite
Clearwater Suites a great place

We stayed at the Marriott Clearwater Suites in March. It was a very lovely hotel. The bay views and tropical landscaping were beautiful. The staff goes above and beyond to please. We can't wait ot visit again. Deb-Indiana ^
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Old thread, but figured I'd provide some input.

The hotel (Marriott Sand Key) is insanely tired and in need of renovation, however it's the most convenient for me. I was told last night that they are to begin full property renovations starting Nov 2nd. The renovations will include the following:
- Enclosure/Sheathing of rooms corridor - this is huge as currently you go from a nice AC lobby, up the elevator then back out into the outdoors. It will all be enclosed and AC'd
- Complete re-stucco'ing of outdoor facades, painting
- Completely ripping out "grotto" features, decking, outdoor bar; around pool area. Much more modern feel along with new "grotto" features; updated menu
- Renovation of all guest rooms, bringing them up to a modern Marriott feel with a little beach feel thrown in
- Rework of room service menu (to be more expansive)
- New workout equipment

No mention of a lounge, but I will ask again when I get back today.

Overall, good to hear there's investment going on. Apparently the lengthy delay was in-part because the owners wanted a more of a beach feeling in the hotels furnishings, etc and Marriott would not agree to that. Staff here is fantastic (now on my 3rd week of 8 or so). Breakfast vouchers for every morning, though I'd rather have Dunkin Donuts so they have been giving me 500 points/day in lieu of breakfast.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:23 pm

Posted in error. Sorry.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm
Old thread, but figured I'd provide some input.

The hotel (Marriott Sand Key) is insanely tired and in need of renovation, however it's the most convenient for me. I was told last night that they are to begin full property renovations starting Nov 2nd.
Thanks for the update!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:45 am
Suspended

The hotel was a really old Raddison location I believe. Marriott took it over about 5+ years ago. It's a total rip off in my opinion. The location is right on the intercostal and the beach access is across the street.... It's about time that place got updated. It's not like they don't have the money. The rates there are constantly $300+ a night.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ohmark
Thanks for the update!
Hi, planning a quick weekend trip with kids in February. Have the Marriott Suites Clearwater been renovated since the last post in 2015? I understand they do not have beach chairs and umbrellas unlike the Sheraton Sand Key - would anyone know how much a day's rental costs? And does the property offer free breakfast or any other benefits for Golds? Thanks much!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by frmnj
Hi, planning a quick weekend trip with kids in February. Have the Marriott Suites Clearwater been renovated since the last post in 2015? I understand they do not have beach chairs and umbrellas unlike the Sheraton Sand Key - would anyone know how much a day's rental costs? And does the property offer free breakfast or any other benefits for Golds? Thanks much!
Don't have recent info on the Suites, but do also consider the Residence Inn Treasure Island, which is right on the beach, not across the street from it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.