Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Oakland Marriott City Center, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oakland Marriott City Center, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by puchong
Aren't evening drinks at the lounge supposed to be FOC for those who have access to the lounge? What is going on here?
I thought the same thing. I guess it's technically "lounge access" but I thought it was implied that meant more than access to a room where you have to buy $11 beers.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
I thought the same thing. I guess it's technically "lounge access" but I thought it was implied that meant more than access to a room where you have to buy $11 beers.
Many domestic USA lounges have historically charged for adult beverages.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 3:46 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Here are my impressions of the Oakland Marriott - overall, this isn’t the worst hotel I have stayed at, but it’s definitely not the best:
  • While the app showed an upgrade to a Bay View Corner King and suites were also available online, I was placed in a tiny half-sized room with a view of an office tower - going back to the desk led to the claim that they were close to fully committed and the only option for a bay view was a room with two beds, which I just took
  • The bathrooms look nothing like the room photos online and look like they were from the opening of the building - old and ugly tiles that have the color of a hospital and a textured tub bottom
  • Beds were really the only good thing here - plush mattress, plush and non-lumpy pillows, decent covers that were very nice when you add the two bed covers together - soft linens, too
  • Bay view is nice, but you sure do see a lot of Oakland
  • Shower pressure was fine, but there’s not much water width
  • Internet TV OS present
  • They did proactively offer late checkout - no issue with the 2 PM I requested
  • Hotel is across the street from 11th street exit of 12th Street BART station
  • Evening lounge service was mozzarella sticks and some chicken thing - didn’t try either - desserts didn’t come out until 7:30, so I didn’t see them - evening service only M-Th
  • Club breakfast is meh - eggs were decent, sausage patty didn’t have great texture, no croissants, breakfast hours only from 6 to 9

I don’t really have a need or desire to come back here or to Oakland.

Photos:

SPN Lifer and raidersfan1 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Here are my impressions of the Oakland Marriott - overall, this isn’t the worst hotel I have stayed at, but it’s definitely not the best
The major benefit of this place is the convenience, with super easy BART access it's an easy trip to OAK or SFO and also in/out of San Francisco.

It's also attached to the Oakland Convention Center and that drives much of their business.

I've had issues with untrained front desk staff the last few stays and they double charged me for parking last time. All else being equal, I'd rather stay in the city at one of the BART convenient properties.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:54 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Here are my impressions of the Oakland Marriott - overall, this isn’t the worst hotel I have stayed at, but it’s definitely not the best:
  • While the app showed an upgrade to a Bay View Corner King and suites were also available online, I was placed in a tiny half-sized room with a view of an office tower - going back to the desk led to the claim that they were close to fully committed and the only option for a bay view was a room with two beds, which I just took
  • The bathrooms look nothing like the room photos online and look like they were from the opening of the building - old and ugly tiles that have the color of a hospital and a textured tub bottom
  • Beds were really the only good thing here - plush mattress, plush and non-lumpy pillows, decent covers that were very nice when you add the two bed covers together - soft linens, too
  • Bay view is nice, but you sure do see a lot of Oakland
  • Shower pressure was fine, but there’s not much water width
  • Internet TV OS present
  • They did proactively offer late checkout - no issue with the 2 PM I requested
  • Hotel is across the street from 11th street exit of 12th Street BART station
  • Evening lounge service was mozzarella sticks and some chicken thing - didn’t try either - desserts didn’t come out until 7:30, so I didn’t see them - evening service only M-Th
  • Club breakfast is meh - eggs were decent, sausage patty didn’t have great texture, no croissants, breakfast hours only from 6 to 9
I used to stay at this hotel regularly before the renovation, and have been back once or twice since. The lounge was better when it was upstairs, the M Club looks nicer physically but is otherwise a Meh Club.

I think you might have "lucked out" and gotten a room where they left the tub in place (probably more expected in rooms with two beds). If you look at the regular bathroom in the image gallery (not the suites) you can see the end of the counter is angled... this is typical of the oddly shaped end rooms that they tend to put the elites in, and I'm pretty sure those rooms are all Kings. (They are usually quieter and some of them have good views.)

The bay is too far from this hotel to have an amazing view. The first time I got a bay view room I'm not even sure I realized it was facing that way. The old lounge had some great city views. Oakland has a lot of fantastic architecture.

This hotel is primarily useful for East Bay visits. The only advantage of staying here if you're trying to visit SF proper is it's usually (but not always) cheaper.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Many domestic USA lounges have historically charged for adult beverages.
I'm struggling to think of a domestic FS property that doesn't charge for alcohol.
365RoadWarrior likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
I used to stay at this hotel regularly before the renovation, and have been back once or twice since. The lounge was better when it was upstairs, the M Club looks nicer physically but is otherwise a Meh Club.

I think you might have "lucked out" and gotten a room where they left the tub in place (probably more expected in rooms with two beds). If you look at the regular bathroom in the image gallery (not the suites) you can see the end of the counter is angled... this is typical of the oddly shaped end rooms that they tend to put the elites in, and I'm pretty sure those rooms are all Kings. (They are usually quieter and some of them have good views.)

The bay is too far from this hotel to have an amazing view. The first time I got a bay view room I'm not even sure I realized it was facing that way. The old lounge had some great city views. Oakland has a lot of fantastic architecture.

This hotel is primarily useful for East Bay visits. The only advantage of staying here if you're trying to visit SF proper is it's usually (but not always) cheaper.
In the angled King room, the bathroom also had the hideous shower-tub combination with awful flesh colored tile - looked nothing like the nice renovated photos of the showers.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bennos
I'm struggling to think of a domestic FS property that doesn't charge for alcohol.
Sheraton Tribeca has a selection of comp wines and beer during the evening lounge hours.
SPN Lifer and ExArkie like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:50 am

Sheraton Tribeca has a selection of comp wines and beer during the evening lounge hours.
I knew there had to be one
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
The Charlotte Marriott Southpark offered a couple of glasses - huge pours, though - of complimentary wines and some local beers when I was there a few years ago. My wife was back there last year and said they were still doing that.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by ExArkie
The Charlotte Marriott Southpark offered a couple of glasses - huge pours, though - of complimentary wines and some local beers when I was there a few years ago. My wife was back there last year and said they were still doing that.
I have to stop posting things I remember without verifying I am remembering correctly. My wife just told me Charlotte Southpark was NOT still serving complimentary wine and beer in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.