Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Oakland Marriott City Center, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oakland Marriott City Center, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 4:15 pm

If I were a female younger than 70, I would not walk around the area after 7 PM

The closest BART (I think) would be the 19th Street station
Old Jan 10, 2022, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Which BART station is across the street?
12th Street Oakland City Center Station

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is it safe for a female to walk around the area at night?
By yourself? Maybe back and forth to Old Oakland which is directly adjacent to the hotel and has a concentration of bars and restaurants but I wouldn't recommend going any farther than that (e.g., Uptown or Jack London).

Originally Posted by DELee
Yep. Entrance is literally across the street from the hotel, could not be much more convenient.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Kacee
By yourself? Maybe back and forth to Old Oakland which is directly adjacent to the hotel and has a concentration of bars and restaurants but I wouldn't recommend going any farther than that (e.g., Uptown or Jack London).

Yep. Entrance is literally across the street from the hotel, could not be much more convenient.
Appreciate EVERYONE's feedback. Am also considering the Kissel Uptown on 2455 Broadway opening in March.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...-oakland/oakub

Is that a better area for walking around at night?.
Any good restaurants, things to do in that area?
Close to any BARTs?

Thank you.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:51 pm

Close to any BARTs?

Thank you.
That one is closest to 19th but the only advantage I can see it having is being closer to the west side of the lake which is usually pretty tame and lit up at night. If restaurants, bars, and proximity to Bart are the main requirements the Marriott is the best place. Alternatively there's the Waterfront in Jack London Square. Never stayed there but it looks nice enough walking by it.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Appreciate EVERYONE's feedback. Am also considering the Kissel Uptown on 2455 Broadway opening in March.

Yes, that's the Uptown neighborhood, and it's a much livelier area, especially when there's a show at the Fox Theatre. You'd still want to be very careful at night, and stay primarily on Telegraph, which is where most of the action is. There are a ton of restaurants and bars in the surrounding blocks. It's one of the hottest nightlife areas in the bay area, though covid has really taken a toll on the entire bay area and Oakland in particular.

Note that many properties have been having difficulty hitting their target opening dates due to staffing problems.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
During the daytime I have often frequented the area to the southeast (sometimes from the Lake Merritt BART station): Oakland Museum of California, Courthouse at 1225 Fallon Street (for jury duty), Cathedral of Christ the Light, and walking along the lakefront to Lakeside Park (or all around the lake).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Merritt

At night time, I usually do not wander far from my hotel.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Mar 12, 2024 at 3:04 am
Old Jan 14, 2022, 6:37 pm

[deleted]

Last edited by wcj1; Jan 14, 2022 at 6:38 pm Reason: things got weird
Old Jan 19, 2022, 5:23 pm

Close to any BARTs?

Thank you.
As noted above, Uptown area is definitely livelier than downtown by the Marriott (more empty office buildings there). One block down Broadway is the Hive, which has among other things Drakes Dealership restaurant and beer garden (https://drinkdrakes.com/places/dealership/). Lots of other options nearby. Short walk down Broadway to 19th Street BART.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Stayed at this property for two nights. No status recognition at check in, no suite upgrade but nice room on the 17th floor with bay and San francisco view (quite spectacular i must say)
Lounge is quite sad, restaurant was crowded in the evenings and food was good.
Overall the hotel is in good condition, I would not walk around at night though.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:06 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I don’t really drink, but are these prices insane? They seem insane.

Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast

You're paying for the ambience.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Having redeemed (so it wouldn't expire unused) a Free Night Award (FNA) here less than a decade ago with my late younger son (then at community college), I am perfectly happy with the (gratis) ambiance at numerous other Marriott properties.

Even never having stayed there. I was thinking of the Courtyard Oakland Downtown.

Oakland Downtown Courtyard now a cat 3 (only FlyerTalk thread on that property, with a single post, and now archived )

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...land-downtown/

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Mar 12, 2024 at 3:46 am
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're paying for the ambience.
You can take the "ce" out of that word - I'd rather sit at the nearby restaurant/bar - nothing wrong with the lounge space, but nothing right with those prices to "keep away from the unwashed masses."
Old Mar 12, 2024, 12:47 pm

Dumb Question

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast

Aren't evening drinks at the lounge supposed to be FOC for those who have access to the lounge? What is going on here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.