Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: IC RA
If your conference is at the convention center then the Hilton, Marriott, or the Grand Hyatt would probably all be better first tier options. I live next to the Hotel Indigo and have always had a good experience when having friends/family in town. Clean bright rooms and a rooftop terrace for drinks if you choose.

I don't want to make it seem like the Sheraton should be avoided at all costs. It's just that it's one of the few hotels where you will have to walk 5-6 blocks before finding dining/bar options.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Investor 11
If your conference is at the convention center then the Hilton, Marriott, or the Grand Hyatt would probably all be better first tier options. I live next to the Hotel Indigo and have always had a good experience when having friends/family in town. Clean bright rooms and a rooftop terrace for drinks if you choose.
Yes, the conference is at the SD Convention Center and due to that it appears like all the hotels in and around the convention center seem to be completely booked. In my initial email that got transferred to this forum, I just saw that I had said April. Its not in April, its March. Sorry for the lapse . Don't know what I was typing as it was late when I was posting that message.

I don't want to make it seem like the Sheraton should be avoided at all costs. It's just that it's one of the few hotels where you will have to walk 5-6 blocks before finding dining/bar options.
Thanks for mentioning that. I will have a car, so it getting around isn't an issue. Now parking, that's a whole different story!!! Looks like I certainly might have to shop around at other hotels.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by billxmeredith
I like the hotel - I find it close enough to the Gaslamp to be an easy walk - it isn't around the corner - but walkable.
That's good, especially since parking seems to be a major issue in downtown SD.

Originally Posted by billxmeredith
My only complaint about this hotel is the parking garage - it has a really narrow winding drive up the building until you get to the parking spots. Have to be really careful.
I read that in a couple of posts on this forum! Someone had mentioned that there are other parking areas in the vicinity, however, those seem like they have the clause of "no in and out". So yes, this will be a pain in the neck. Thanks for letting me know!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
very disappointed

I should have read this thread before coming to this hotel, I come to San Diego often and wanted to give it a try, so on this stay (currently at the property) I have to say, I wont be coming back. I was upgrqded to the "Club Level" my first upgrade ever with SPG, and what a big disappointment. So I have to travel down to the 12th floor to access the lounge, and there is no breakfast in the lounge, the breakfast buffet is only good for platinum members, however when I went to the front desk about this, I was given two vouchers for the buffet for my two stays. The rooms are nice, but the $30/day parking is quite high. The fact you have to take two elevators to get to your room is a pain.

For those who stay here becasue it is close to Petco and the Gaslamp, the W is closer and a much better hotel. I wont be staying here again. My last trip to San Diego (a week ago) I was at the Four Points and enjoyed my stay.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

very disappointed

delete

Last edited by FlightNurse; Feb 26, 2013 at 9:18 am Reason: duplicate
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
My last trip to San Diego (a week ago) I was at the Four Points and enjoyed my stay.
Is this Four Points the one that's close to the Interstate? Did you have to pay for parking? I was considering this property, but with a lot of negative reviews for the property and its location I just didn't feel like staying at this property. Maybe I'll have to rethink my decision.

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on what you liked about this hotel? And what you didn't like?

Thanks much!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HariBlue108
Is this Four Points the one that's close to the Interstate? Did you have to pay for parking? I was considering this property, but with a lot of negative reviews for the property and its location I just didn't feel like staying at this property. Maybe I'll have to rethink my decision.

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on what you liked about this hotel? And what you didn't like?

Thanks much!
Sorry for the delay, what a couple of days. The first Four Points I stayed at was the one on Aero Dr, this was the Original Four Points in San Diego. I'm back in San Diego, and this time I am staying at the New Four Points, the round building by the freeway. This property use to be a Holiday Inn, my partner and I stayed here Thanksgiving 2011, when it was a HI. We liked it, the only real issue was the breakfast was expensive, even though we were given $20/day voucher. So I read the reviews of what people have written about this current hotel. So far so good, when I checked in, I was going to get a room on the 4th floor, and asked for something higher, so I was given one on the 16th floor, I have a partial bay view, parking is $17.50/day which is cheap compared to other Sheraton properties that charge $30+/day. The rooms look the same as they did back in 2011, I like how they look. IF you do not want to spend a lot of money but want a comfortable play to say, give this place a try....
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Sorry for the delay, what a couple of days. The first Four Points I stayed at was the one on Aero Dr, this was the Original Four Points in San Diego. I'm back in San Diego, and this time I am staying at the New Four Points, the round building by the freeway. This property use to be a Holiday Inn, my partner and I stayed here Thanksgiving 2011, when it was a HI. We liked it, the only real issue was the breakfast was expensive, even though we were given $20/day voucher. So I read the reviews of what people have written about this current hotel. So far so good, when I checked in, I was going to get a room on the 4th floor, and asked for something higher, so I was given one on the 16th floor, I have a partial bay view, parking is $17.50/day which is cheap compared to other Sheraton properties that charge $30+/day. The rooms look the same as they did back in 2011, I like how they look. IF you do not want to spend a lot of money but want a comfortable play to say, give this place a try....
I'm trying to decide between the two for my 2-night stay next week. I'm kind of leaning toward the one on Aero Drive even though it's farther from the city, because it's so close to the airport and I have a flight at 7:30 AM. Then again, since you've stayed in both, could you give a brief comparison of both properties?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: IC RA
Originally Posted by mnscout
I'm trying to decide between the two for my 2-night stay next week. I'm kind of leaning toward the one on Aero Drive even though it's farther from the city, because it's so close to the airport and I have a flight at 7:30 AM. Then again, since you've stayed in both, could you give a brief comparison of both properties?

I can tell you that the one on Aero Drive is definitely further from the airport, not closer. Maybe you confused Montgomery Airport on the map.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mnscout
The one on Areo Dr is close to a minicipal airport, the round one is close to San Diego airport. It is a 10 minute drive to the airport. I beleive they have a free shuttle too,
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:45 pm

I agree, the four points here has similar rooms lookswise to a Sheraton. 3k redemption on the weekends for an award room, cheap parking, 3 blocks walking to great food in Little Italy, and a cheap cab ride to the Gaslamp.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I agree, the four points here has similar rooms lookswise to a Sheraton. 3k redemption on the weekends for an award room, cheap parking, 3 blocks walking to great food in Little Italy, and a cheap cab ride to the Gaslamp.
Each of the Four Points in San Diego have positive and negitives, just depends on what you want.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
I can tell you that the one on Aero Drive is definitely further from the airport, not closer. Maybe you confused Montgomery Airport on the map.
The one on Areo Dr is close to a minicipal airport, the round one is close to San Diego airport. It is a 10 minute drive to the airport. I beleive they have a free shuttle too,
You're right, I did So, the one downtown seems like a better choice then. Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights a few weeks ago. Similar experience to what others have already shared - rooms are a little dated, but perfectly fine. Breakfast buffet was a pretty standard Sheraton offering (and was pretty good). Few room pics in the blog post I just wrote if you're interested: http://first2board.com/foodwineandmi...tes-san-diego/
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA *G; Delta Diamond; AA EXP; Marriott LT Plat; Hyatt Globalist
This may be one of the worst SPG properties that I've stayed in...very dated rooms, crowded lobby, the lounge is a joke. I was given a free breakfast and let's just say that it was barely edible. Going up and down to the 12th floor for the lobby and then to another elevator was annoying...stay away from this place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.