Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Does anyone know if the pool is heated? Thinking about here or the Grand Hyatt for a mid-January stay.
I am quite sensitive to pool temp - I've never seen a heated pool in Thailand. There are 7 pools where I'm staying (not a hotel) and they vary in temp quite a bir consistent with my experience in hotels around Bangkok. Even when the outside temp is high if the pool is in shade much of the day it is cooler (by about 5-10 degrees F) than one that gets direct sun all day. With the high buildings all around the pool temp can vary depending on location even when the air is VERY hot.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Does anyone know if the pool is heated? Thinking about here or the Grand Hyatt for a mid-January stay.
If pool is an important consideration, the Athenee's is considerably nicer than GH.

I've never had any issue with water temperature.
dcstudent and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Thanks all. Pool isn't the most important nut I love relaxing with a swim between morning and afternoon activities. Looking forward to the first vacation I've had in awhile. Made the reservation at the Athenee. Under $200US for a base room per night and hopefully the SNAs clear.

Originally Posted by Kacee
If pool is an important consideration, the Athenee's is considerably nicer than GH.

I've never had any issue with water temperature.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Stay in December 2023

Originally Posted by ewh9
Stay in September 2023

Our two-night stay this past week was excellent--the bed was comfortable; the service was friendly, polished, and proactive; and the lounge's food and drinks (particularly the pork panang curry at breakfast) were delicious. The concierge team was helpful and prompt in responding to our pre-stay inquiries.

We were only upgraded to a Royal king room, and my wife is an Ambassador member. However, we didn't expect more.

We also booked the hotel's airport transfer service. While unnecessary and a bit spendy, the staff members providing this service (particularly at the airport for our departure) really went above and beyond.
3 months later.

It had been a while since I had not not stayed at this property in which I had many stays and for many years.

The hotel still has a solid hard product, but the service is really unequal. I encountered several issues that should not have happened in a hotel of this brand. It seems that the service was at a higher level (from the staff and from what was requested to the guests) when it was the Le Meridien Plaza Athénée. Besides the GM, who is still the same and will probably still in command for at least the next 2 years, the upper management is just weaker from what it used to be.

More details to come.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
During my short stays, I had several issues, all in the operation side (guy walking in my suite without a ring or a know, thought the space was empty, ignoring the protocol, another ringing at the door but without really knowing why, having me hold the door while he was trying to figure things out, Front Desk associate helping a demanding guest with Concierge issues, while there were 3 available associates at the Concierge desk, etc ...).

The lounge is a good place to see how the clientele of this hotel has changed - not for the best. During the Happy Hour, you can see people in shorts (I remember the time where guests would be asked to go back to their room to change their attire to access the lounge), flip-flops, some talking on the phone, others being loud, some deep nose picking, etc ...

You can see the cost reduction at the breakfast with items that have disappeared (coconuts, Parma ham on the cutter, grilled salmon in the Japanese section, etc ...).

Some of the staff is still good to very good, some are less trained or wrongly selected.

Prior to my first check-in, I sent a message through the App and one of the two Executive Assistant Managers (there is presently no Hotel Manager at this property) took over after a few exchanges, which I thought was nice at first, but it became awkward and unnecessary wrong statements were made, to be blamed later on the system, but I was not the one that asked information to be pulled out from that system.
Overall, a very unusual written conversation with a Bangkok Marriott upper manager, that ended up dropping the ball. Consequently, I cancelled a reservation.

Choo Leng Goh is still the General Manager and will probably stay in charge for at least the next 2 years.

Conclusion: The Athénée is under the Luxury Collection brand, like the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, but, at this time, The Athénée is no Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and that is true in several fields.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:52 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by UASPG

The lounge is a good place to see how the clientele of this hotel has changed - not for the best. During the Happy Hour, you can see people in shorts (I remember the time where guests would be asked to go back to their room to change their attire to access the lounge), flip-flops, some talking on the phone, others being loud, some deep nose picking, etc ...

You can see the cost reduction at the breakfast with items that have disappeared (coconuts, Parma ham on the cutter, grilled salmon in the Japanese section, etc ...).
Unfortunately the lounge issue is not isolated to this hotel. I find the same issue in lounges across BKK quite frequently. As for breakfast, this place used to be great years ago, I even remember going there for a Xmas day brunch one year.

The distance to the BTS is also a negative of this place.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 3:53 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Property continues to offer strong STARS promos. For 2024: Stays of 4 nights and longer give 25% off which can bring price below 4800++ depending on dates. There’s also a stay 3, pay 2 promo going.

Above in addition to standard STARS benefits like breakfast, $100 credit, upgrade, welcome amenity etc.
reggiekush likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
While the Park Hyatt Bangkok is my “home” in Thailand, I will give the Athenee Hotel a try on the front end of my upcoming Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Bangkok trip, before returning to the Park Hyatt for the backend (booked with FHR).

I am sure some have stayed at both properties and could provide perspectives? I will be in the Athenee Suite and can’t wait to compare to the Park Suite that I usually am in at the Park Hyatt.

Things look really good on the Marriott website, so let’s see if it matches the marketing
Old Jan 12, 2024, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sapguy
While the Park Hyatt Bangkok is my “home” in Thailand, I will give the Athenee Hotel a try on the front end of my upcoming Bangkok-Chiang Mai-Bangkok trip, before returning to the Park Hyatt for the backend (booked with FHR).

I am sure some have stayed at both properties and could provide perspectives? I will be in the Athenee Suite and can’t wait to compare to the Park Suite that I usually am in at the Park Hyatt.

Things look really good on the Marriott website, so let’s see if it matches the marketing
The suites could not be more different in design language and decor. Athenee suite touches feel more upscale but overall room a bit darker than PH.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has this hotel still got a laundry benefit for elites of 2 pieces per day or has it been relegated to pressing only?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:02 am

Programs: Marriott, Lufthansa Miles&More, Accor
still 2 pieces of laundry per day
yorkboy24 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:52 pm

I’ll be checking in here today. A bit disappointed by the arrival experience. No pre-arrival email and the room hasn’t even been pre-upgraded to a club room. I guess I’ll see how it goes.

Edit: found that it was sent 3 months ago and basically tried to upsell to a suite for 5000 THB ++ per night

Last edited by yorkboy24; Apr 2, 2024 at 8:49 pm
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Will08
Unfortunately the lounge issue is not isolated to this hotel. I find the same issue in lounges across BKK quite frequently. As for breakfast, this place used to be great years ago, I even remember going there for a Xmas day brunch one year.

The distance to the BTS is also a negative of this place.
I’m now at Le Meridien Saigon and saw a man in the lounge walking around the buffet area barefooted! So it’s not just confined to Bangkok. At least they enforce the no kids after 6pm rule.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I’m now at Le Meridien Saigon and saw a man in the lounge walking around the buffet area barefooted! So it’s not just confined to Bangkok. At least they enforce the no kids after 6pm rule.
How was your overall experience at the Hotel? Would you recommend it over other Bonvoy properties in Bangkok?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:26 am

I would not recommend this hotel. After travelling to Bangkok regularly for the last 15 years (and even living there for a while) and being a Marriott member for 9 years, this is the first time I’ve checked out of a hotel early. I was meant to stay for 5 nights but after 1 night, I’m moving to the Courtyard Sukhumwit 20. Not a luxury experience at all and poor elite treatment.
diablo77 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.