Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I just checked out of the RO Sheraton yesterday. As a plat, I was upgraded to a non-towers junior suite despite the hotel being quite full. Nice room and recently renovated. (I was also offered a choice of a regular towers room, but the check-in agent recommended the non-towers suite instead.) The Towers lounge has a nice view and decent evening hors d'oeurves. The breakfast in the etc. restaurant (free for plats) is considerably better than the breakfast in the lounge. The lounge also offers afternoon tea, but the selection was quite small.

Sunday morning the temporary wall around the construction area was taken down and I was able to walk around the new terrace area as at least a dozen construction people were painting, scraping, and wiring things as they scurried to finish the renovations before the hotel's first scheduled conference (starting yesterday) and the big Loi Krathong festival for which they've been selling expensive terrace seating. It still looked like there was a bunch to finish, but hopefully they got it done.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:16 pm
Bob

Programs: AA 2MM
Not staying there but had lunch at the ROS yesterday. The Terrace restaurant is still undergoing renovation; the ETC restaurant is open and has a nice buffet luncheon; didn't go above the ground floor so can't comment on other renovations but the pool appears to be open.

I'm staying at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit and it is fine for my needs.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bob
the pool appears to be open.
Which pool ? There are 2 pools at the ROS, the garden pool has always been opened.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 3:25 am
Bob

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by mario33
Which pool ? There are 2 pools at the ROS, the garden pool has always been opened.
I can't answer that. I was on the boat dock level and looked up and saw the heads of some people who appeared to be sitting in deck chairs around a pool.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
all,

i'll be staying at ROS in april. besides metered-taxi, what's another good way to get to this hotel? (my arrival would be 10pm), I know there are airport shuttles but anyone knows which busline to take?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Go to the Airport website, there is a full discription of the available bus services.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by ConsultantA
all,

i'll be staying at ROS in april. besides metered-taxi, what's another good way to get to this hotel? (my arrival would be 10pm), I know there are airport shuttles but anyone knows which busline to take?
Taxis are so cheap in BKK...I wouldn't bother looking for alternatives.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Taxis are so cheap in BKK...I wouldn't bother looking for alternatives.

The last time I took a taxi from the airport, the meter was rigged. Its only something like 100 baht more and not worth the trouble of complaining (yes I have the driver's particulars) but the taxis from the airport are not as scam-free as we would have liked.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
The last time I took a taxi from the airport, the meter was rigged. Its only something like 100 baht more and not worth the trouble of complaining (yes I have the driver's particulars) but the taxis from the airport are not as scam-free as we would have liked.
When staying at the ROS and this happens complain to the doorman.On our last stay there it happened to us as well.I said to the driver what it should have cost,the doorman came over speaking Thai to the driver and we got B100 knocked off the fare.whereas when it happened going to the Millenium Hilton the doorman there took the side of the taxi driver-then the driver said the airport surcharge was B150 instead of B50.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:12 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
There is a large conference at the ROS the end of March for a teachers conference I'm attending. I'm not staying here as their rates are WAY too high IMO. Will instead be splitting my stay between the Le Meridien BKK and WGS and taking taxi's to and from the conference.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class

What's the typical fare from BKK to ROS? I just want a brief idea so I won't get ripped.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ConsultantA
What's the typical fare from BKK to ROS? I just want a brief idea so I won't get ripped.
300 THB meter fare + 50 THB airport surcharge + 45 THB toll way + 25 THB toll way. If you get stuck in traffic jam the meter fare will be higher ...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by drron
When staying at the ROS and this happens complain to the doorman.On our last stay there it happened to us as well.I said to the driver what it should have cost,the doorman came over speaking Thai to the driver and we got B100 knocked off the fare.whereas when it happened going to the Millenium Hilton the doorman there took the side of the taxi driver-then the driver said the airport surcharge was B150 instead of B50.
Always good to have some idea of what it should cost, then don't be shy about it when someone tries to rip you off, -- this worked for me.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
...don't be shy about it when someone tries to rip you off, -- this worked for me.
For me (and am sure for many of us), it's not the actual money that's the issue - it's the feeling of getting ripped off and becoming a victim of someone's fradulence that i cannot stand.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
I've had it as low as 250BHT from airport to ROS,without any tolls or 50bht surcharge late a nite when traffic was light.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.