Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:35 pm

i too am making the same decision between pdg and westin -- any other recent experiences, especially w/ pdg?

to me, both locations are fine/very good.

thanks so much.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:41 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Thumbs up Westin Paris

I can't say enough about the staff here. From the front desk, to the concierges to the SPG team -they consistently go above and beyond to help make my stays enjoyable. I'd like to try the Park Hyatt up the street, which I imagine is much nicer in terms of decor, amenities, etc., but I'd be hard pressed to trade the warmth and gracious hospitality of the Westin Paris for better decor.

Although the bathrooms are not in the best shape and the lobby furniture could use freshening, the location can't be beat. You're steps away from rue St. Honoré, the Louvre, the Batobus stop at the Louvre, metro Concorde and it's an easy walk through the Tuileries across one of the bridges to the Left Bank.

I don't take the breakfast option as I like to check out interesting eats nearby, in this case there's plenty for breakfast - Ladurée, Eric Kayser. There's also a Monoprix on Avenue de l'Opéra if you want to buy breakfast items like cereal, yogurt, milk to keep in the mini-bar fridge.

Have not stayed at PdG, so cannot compare.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FernO
Any recent reviews of these properties? Going to a concert in Paris in May at the Palais Omnisport de Bercy and was curious what the best SPG option is in Paris. Three nights on SPG points. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!
The two hotels are quite different. The PdG is more old style and the Westin more modern. Those are probably the best options for SPG in Paris. The two LMs are big and not that nice.

I've had an ugrade to a 2-room suite at PdG on an award stay and upgrade to a junior suite at the Westin ona paid stay combined with C&P. The suite at the PdG was much bigger, but the Westin was newer since it was more recently renovated.

I personally prefer the Westin location better since it's very close to the Louvre and easy walking distance to Notre Dame. PdG is closer to the expensive shopping area. PdG is also closer to the Hilton ADT, easier walk than from the Westin.

I think the choice boils down to personal preference in style. Either one is fine.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
IMO the Westin has the better location, you can walk to many places and the metro is easy to navigate. The service at the Westin was very good. We are returning in early Sep.
The PdG is in a tonier neighborhood and the entire street has a very different feel. On one trip we actually toured the PdG and were shown the suite that we were pre-upgraded to. The decor was a little over the top (blues, golds) and needed to be freshened up (this was 3 years ago, so a renovation might have taken place since then). We cancelled it and went to the Westin.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: *wood LifePLT, UsAir CHAIR
Thanks to all for your responses. Westin Paris here we come. :-)
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:24 pm

yes, thanks so much for the updates. would love to hear more recent PdG stays, but it seems that more tend to like the Westin. interesting that they're both 20k points/night.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:50 pm

quick update. we stayed at the PdG and it was okay. 3 nights on rewards and 1 night cash. AC was doing funky things and they kept sending up the repair man, but it never really worked right. room was nice and big, but clearly not fixed up yet. needs some paint etc. concierge and all staff were perfect, made reservations for us, very kind, etc., but we're also not really needy. when i mentioned the AC at checkout they took off 50% of the final night, which i thought was fair and generous.

we walked by the westin. looked good. but that block is pretty noisy and overrun with tourists. so kind of a wash between the 2.

i'd go back to PdG if i def got a newer room. seems they are slowly upgrading the entire hotel in stages, but it's not really a renovation.

i think i still prefer the left bank though.

maybe the W will be cool.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 2:44 pm

If all goes well, im scheduled to be there next weekend, I will post up after.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: starwood
Prince De Galles or Westin Paris

Which is nicer? Thanks!

Last edited by rpiercefield; Jul 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
Prince de Galles, even though it's in need of renovations. (I heard it was leaving Starwood, I thought it would have happened by now)

Westin is a dreadful hotel with a lot of substandard rooms. You can get lucky and get a great room there, but "luck" is the optimum word. It's in a fantastic location, though.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
BTW, if you are self-professed "hotel snobs", why are you doing business with a hum-drum, routine chain of hotels such as most of what Starwood offers?

I'm Starwood Platinum, but I don't kid myself into thinking that these are great hotels they offer.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by rpiercefield
We are hotel snobs, which is nicer? Thanks!
Being new here, I would like to refer to the Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread] in The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List which is stickied on the first page of this forum.

When researching a property, please, check The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List first, for information, as any question you have most likely has been asked and answered several times.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by rpiercefield
We are hotel snobs, which is nicer? Thanks!

IMHO if your contemplating either of these hotels your not much of a hotel snob. Starwood has less than a half a dozen hotels snob's would even consider. Most people on this boards are points whores however, some are of the worst kind.

Hotel snobbing aside, I would suggest PdG, which although it pales compared to its next door neighbor I have found it convinient and comfortable.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:47 pm

Prince de Galles leaving Starwood?

Originally Posted by signothetimes53
Prince de Galles, even though it's in need of renovations. (I heard it was leaving Starwood, I thought it would have happened by now)

Westin is a dreadful hotel with a lot of substandard rooms. You can get lucky and get a great room there, but "luck" is the optimum word. It's in a fantastic location, though.
I didn't know there was talk of the Prince de Galles leaving Starwood; where did you hear this information? I spoke with a front desk manager and she confirmed the owners wanted to renovate, but she did not mention anything about the hotel leaving Starwood last month. Thanks for providing more detailed information.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: starwood
OK... Agreed.. One cannot be a hotel snob within the SPG group... However, I believe they have the best point program for the hotels they offer. I've tried Marriott & Hilton and I believe they paled in comparison. Thanks for the info on the Westin Paris.. I originally booked a suite at the PDG and switched it to the Westin Paris on feedback from tripadvisor and AMEX reccommendations... The Westin Paris was completely renovated in 2008, the PDG doesn't have a renovation on record with SPG...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.