Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 12:58 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
I'm debating of staying between the Westin and Prince de Gaulles. I know that the Westin, by far, has a better location for tourist (that is being more centrally located to attractions), but they don't have a lounge and don't offer free breakfast to platinums. Does anyone know what the Prince de Gaulles offer to platinums beside a room upgrade--possibly lounge, free breakfast, platinum amenity?

I'm also considering the Marriott Champs Elysees, as I've heard some good reviews by colleagues--free hot breakfast for platinums, nice room upgrade, etc.
Old May 23, 2009, 3:41 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum

I have just checked out of the Prince de Galles this morning. I don't want to get melodramatic, but its rip-off level is laughable. I was staying on points (20K/night) and was upgraded to a very good-sized suite. If size does indeed matter, PdG is okay. If you expect that the room will be well-furnished, stain-free and have functioning airconditioning, you may be disappointed.
Pros: Bed was comfortable, location was good (not brilliant unless you have a Hermes scarf fixation), and as I say, I was readily upgraded to a good-sized suite. The bathroom was very clean and the products were nice.
Cons: Everything else. No other Platinum benefits. Wi-fi is $130/day (!!!!) and breakfast is almost $60. If you felt like you were in the lap of luxury, that might somehow compensate. This is not luxury, however. Stained carpets, chipped sticks of crappy furniture (sorry, flea market Empire furniture is not classy--it's cheap), and marred mirrors (or maybe that was meant to convey olde-world-ness ) await you. Forget about a morning cup of coffee unless you shell out $13. Housekeeping staff were pleasant enough, but reception and concierge were impersonal and not particularly welcoming. The air-conditioning did not work well--we had to open the windows to the noisy street to sleep comfortably. When the repairman came up, he said "the problem, monsieur, is that the windows are open!" -- I explained that he was getting his causes-and-effects backwards, but he shrugged, said there was nothing he could do, and left.
Overall, it's hotels like these that really make me question why I have any loyalty to Starwood. Yes, the location is high-priced, but surely they could afford to give all customers (not just Platinums) some perks (like maybe wi-fi for only $100/day ). This is a hotel for people for whom money is no object and quality is optional. For the money (and the points) it is a truely awful place. For half the money and half the points, it is just a scam. Starwood should be ashamed.
Old May 23, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS // SPG Plat // Hyatt Diamond
I just returned from a weekend at the Westin, an extended layover from a business trip. I chose the Westin based on location, and it is an excellent location. As mentioned in previous posts, prices are outrageous given the location but if you get out of the hotel you can have a reasonably priced espresso and croissant a block or two away. Several nice bistros and bars are in the vicinity as well.

I'm SPG regular (no class my wife would say) but the staff was courteous and the woman at the SPG Gold/Platinum desk was helpful and doubled as a knowledgeable concierge.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Does any of these hotels have a lounge? Open on Weekends? Platinum access?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:43 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by heffa
Does any of these hotels have a lounge? Open on Weekends? Platinum access?
Ha ha. Certainly not the P de G. Why give away breakfast when you can charge 50 Euros for it or was the 50 Euros for a nip of Cognac in the room?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stc
Ha ha. Certainly not the P de G. Why give away breakfast when you can charge 50 Euros for it or was the 50 Euros for a nip of Cognac in the room?
Haha... I thought 50€ only got you to smell the fumes from the bottle and that a nip was 80€, if you could speak perfect French. Anyhow seems I'm out of hope for a lounge in Paris for my free weekend night awards...
Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
It is so disapointing to read this thread. We've had two stays at the PdG (all written about above) and loved it. Great suites each time.

Yes, breakfast was ridiculous - so we made a right out of the hotel, a left at the next corner, walked one block and had breakfast every morning at the cafe, sitting outside and enjoying Paris. Internet WAS a fortune - and that was at a third of the cost quoted above!

We're reserved there for late August on C&P and my wife suggested that maybe this time we try out the Westin (also available on C&P). In the end, to me, it comes down to where I have the best chance of being upgraded to a suite. When I read the posts here, most speak only of the Westin location as being the best - but what experience do Platinums have there getting suite upgrades?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:48 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Just got back from a delightful stay at the Westin Paris. Would go stay there again in a heartbeat.

I think someone is finally giving PDG a run for their money and they realize it. I would not be surprised if there is a slightly elevated level of service in both establishments thanks to a bit of competition for SPG loyalists.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rhetor
Wi-fi is $130/day
C'mon. You're kidding. Right? It can't be that much.

I'll be there is a few weeks. Is there any free WiFi in the area (other than McDonalds up on Champs)?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
McD is the closest to PDG across the street from Louis Vuitton. It's always packed, but stays open late into the night.

I couldn't find any other wifi signal close to PDG though.

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

I'll be there is a few weeks. Is there any free WiFi in the area (other than McDonalds up on Champs)?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I think that might be the package deal they offer - Wi-Fi, Wired Connection, Pay-per-View movies all bundled together. At the Westin, the Wi-Fi alone was around $40 USD.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:58 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
I found that "Paul" has very good pastries for breakfast. Its located across from Louis Vitton.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:04 pm

I don't have status (other than what the Amex gives you) and need to choose between these hotels for a visit in early September. For the average non-upgraded person, which is better? Will I need air conditioning this time of year and is that an issue with either hotel? Do the rooms have mini-fridges? Being cheap, I will want to store snacks, drinks, etc. of my own.

We will be traveling with a couple who will use points at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe. It looks like PdG is closer but maybe it's not that much difference?

Advice?

Deb
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: *wood LifePLT, UsAir CHAIR
Any recent reviews of these properties? Going to a concert in Paris in May at the Palais Omnisport de Bercy and was curious what the best SPG option is in Paris. Three nights on SPG points. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:04 pm
W-N

Programs: AA PLT 3MM..... WN CP & A-List Preferred.... SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by FernO
Any recent reviews of these properties? Going to a concert in Paris in May at the Palais Omnisport de Bercy and was curious what the best SPG option is in Paris. Three nights on SPG points. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!
I stayed at the Westin Paris last September and was upgraded to a junior suite on the top floor. Overall, it was a good stay and I would book there again. It is in a great location and there is a tube stop near the hotel. No complaints. Unfortunately, I cannot compare it to the PdG, as I have not stayed at that hotel. The points required are the same for either property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.