Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dingo
I find this so amusing...thank you for living up to the stereotype of SF, and for recognizing it!
I'm from Boston and a smoking room would be unacceptable to me too.

On the topic of the thread, I have not stayed in the Westin but I would agree with the previous post -- PDG is a big thumbs down. Really bad value for the price, even on points. Starwood's choices in Paris are pretty bad overall...
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
Originally Posted by Shantanu
BTW......just wondering, when will you be there?
We will be there at the end of August thru the beginning of Sept. (SFO-London-Amerstdam-Paris-London-SFO).

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I'm from Boston and a smoking room would be unacceptable to me too.

On the topic of the thread, I have not stayed in the Westin but I would agree with the previous post -- PDG is a big thumbs down. Really bad value for the price, even on points. Starwood's choices in Paris are pretty bad overall...
Thanks for the info - I had read the threads on both hotels here on FT (and as a newbie I knew enough as to not start a new thread). I was only thinking about the PDG because it is going up to Cat 7 - both would be fine with us.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
PDG

We've stayed at the PDG (as Cat 5) a few years ago when I only had enough SPG points for 2 nights. As a Plat when I made the reservation and dropped down to Gold in the spring when we stayed there, we were upgraded to a suite. The decor was old fashioned, but I appreciated the upgrade. PDG is next door to FS Georges V.

I stayed at the Westin for 3 nights last spring and was upgraded to a junior suite without a view. The room was very nice and the location is very convenient.

I would select PDG now for the experience while it's still reasonable as Cat 6, especially on cash & points (if available).
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: United 1P, Starwood Gold
PARIS - Prince De Galles or Westin?

Any thoughts on which property is better? I am using points (20k/nt for both places) so cost isnt a factor.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 28, 2009 at 8:51 pm Reason: Merged into master thread
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; QF PS; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by scrubglove
Any thoughts on which property is better? I am using points (20k/nt for both places) so cost isnt a factor.
I stayed at the Prince de Galles when I proposed to my wife a couple of years back. Frankly, I would select out of the two hotels based on where it is you would prefer to be in Paris.

Looking at the Westin online, it looks to be an even nicer hotel than what I recall the Prince de Galles was.

Regarding location, Prince de Galles is very near the Arc de Triomphe, while the Westin is close to the Louvre and all that is in that area.

Personally, I would definitely go for the Westin based on location alone (the fact it looks like a nicer hotel is a bonus). However, that's not to say you should ignore the area near Prince de Galles, make sure to walk down to the Arc de Triomphe and stop in at Laudaree.

I'd spend more time close to the Westin and walk across to Boulvard Saint Germain etc as well as exploring Jardin des Tulerries, Musée d'Orsay, and the Louvre.

Frankly, just thinking about it, it sounds like a great vacation no matter which property you select.

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Depends on your ambulation I guess. The Westin is without question the best location - near and within close proximity to virtually all the best known tourist spots. So if the rates/points are the same I would definitely go with the Westin. We are staying there in November for 4 nights - and even though we go to Paris on an average of once every two years - we do not hesitate to go to the Westin.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
As a Platinum, my decision was based solely on FT reports on the likelihood of good upgrades and the PdG did not disappoint. We went there twice over three years and got wonderful suites each time.

As a Gold, I probably would have chosen the Westin but that said, we loved the PdG.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
i say the westin. it's closer to the seine as well, so if you want to take a stroll, it's definitely closer...
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Prefer the Prince de Galles

Given the metro system in Paris, the location issue doesn't become a huge factor. But as a Platinum, I always got upgraded at the Prince de Galles and never at the Westin - and if you don't get upgraded at the Westin, the rooms are very small both in terms of the bedroom area and bathroom.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; QF PS; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hippo
I stayed at the Prince de Galles when I proposed to my wife a couple of years back. Frankly, I would select out of the two hotels based on where it is you would prefer to be in Paris.

Personally, I would definitely go for the Westin based on location alone (the fact it looks like a nicer hotel is a bonus).
It seems most people are also suggesting Westin, but a couple of posters have talked about the possibility of an upgrade at the Prince de Galles.

My experience on that front was quite positive too. I proposed to my wife in Copenhagen and travelled to Paris the same day. The Prince de Galles hotel wasn't able to upgrade us on the first night (or if they did, the room wasn't that memorable), however for the rest of the stay (4-5 nights) we had the Champagne suite which was magnificent.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I only stayed at the PDG once, but got no upgrade at all as Platinum. If paying cash, there are many places in Paris that are much better value; on points, it is still not a great value, and would agree with the suggestion of others that you're better off at the Westin. I haven't stayed there myself but know others who have and were very happy.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by hippo
.....we had the Champagne suite which was magnificent.
The PdG actually has a number of Champagne Suites -- IIRC, it's about a dozen of them (maybe 10, maybe 14). I've also had one of these rooms before and was quite pleased.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 5:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
As Cheap Elite mentioned, there are LOADS of threads around these two properties. I stayed at the PdG twice in the last six months and wouldn't recommend it (I was a Platinum for both stays). No real upgrade; staff is rather non-service oriented; and aside from the location there are so many other nicer places to stay in Paris.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Westin, is more modern. I like the location of both. I walk from one hotel to the other. See if you can get same day cancellation on each and check them out for urself.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Intercontinental RA/BA/BMI/Virgin
The Westin for us!

Thanks for all the input - i was trying to decide where to use my free night (if i collect it) im not keen on staying in the cheap option of heathrow (uk) with swine flu, but the westin does look nice!

Of interest has anyone found a bar that is good in this area but not crazy prices? The Hyatt beers (bottles) are 15euros EACH? any advice on local places for a quiet sophisticated drink would be appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.