Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by sapguy
Glad to hear that your stay at LM Etoile was good. The thread on that hotel on this board suggested that it looks more like a not-so-nice Holiday Inn :-(

How long ago was your stay? Can you provide some details?
It's been a couple years since we stayed there. Check-in and Check-out process were smooth. Wife & I were staying on the president's club floor. We ate breakfast in the Lounge each morning. I believe it was included in the package that we had booked. The staff was always friendly and I can't recall any problems with the service.

There's a roof deck off the club lounge on the 8th floor. From the deck you can see the eiffel tower and the it's hourly light show.

The location wasn't bad. Near enough to public transportation and there were plenty of decent restaurants around.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've decided to go for the westin Paris in 3 weeks.
Is it easy to get to coming off the Eurostar from London? Do I have to take a subway?
We'll also be taking the TGV down to Nice after our stay at the Westin.
I'm afraid my knowledge of Paris public transport is poor.
Does anyone know if this will be from the same station as we will be arriving in on the Eurostar? And if not how far is the Westin from it and how do we get there? How much time etc?
Thanks.

p.s I'll post back in this thread regarding our stay if it's of any help
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I've only stayed at the Westin, but given the choice of the location of both of these I would pick the Westin. That doesn't speak to accomodations, but the Champs is, to me, completely over rated. Go to a mall and you will have seen what the Champs has to offer except for the fact you are on the Champs. The Westin is, as noted, close to the Louvre and Notre Dame. It is also easy to walk to Place de la Concorde (forget the right spelling), Le Orangerie (make reservations), Harry's Bar (get a hot dog as a midnight snack), Hemingway Bar at the Ritz, tons of more quaint caffes than on the Champs and on and on and on. As a Plat in November last year I got a great view room and access to the lounge. The lounge really wasn't anything special at that point and we used it only to check email and grab some bottled water before bed.

Earthman, if I were you I'd just get a cab from the train station to the hotel. If you have luggage it may be a pain changing metro stations and why have your first experience with Paris be hauling luggage from metro station to metro station then down the sidewalk to the hotel. Get a cab, look at the city and smile to yourself knowing that for a few extra Euro you get to relax and realize you are in Paris in the fall.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Sorry. Forgot to add that I believe Earthman will be arriving in Gare (rhymes with bar) du Nord on the Eurostar.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:27 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
The Paris metro is one of the easiest metro systems in the world imo. You can get ANYWHERE in Paris and the suburbs. Purchase a metro pass (you don't specify how long you're staying) along with a City Pass of sorts (which allows you to "skip to the front" of many of the lines at various attractions e.g., Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, etc.). Then just learn the phrase (in phonetics here) eu aaaa le metro? which means where is the Metro? Ask that and you will rarely get lost. Here is a link to the metro maps:

http://paris.osac.gov/page.cfm?pageID=1378

Additionally, the metro is a lot less expensive than a cab. As far as other posters re: Champs d'Elysses. . .yes - it is like a mall except that you walk it and you go throug the Arc d'Triumphe (can climb to the top and get amazing pictures), all the way down the boulevard and you do feel very much like you're in Paris. Additionally, honestly - you're in Paris - how much time will you be spending in your hotel room?

There is also a great forum on FlyerTalk under Travel&Dining that focuses solely on Paris. You may want to check it out before you go as well.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks-ye are a mine of information as usual
We're a tad adventurous so might try the subway,that map is grand.
We're quite looking foward to this trip.

I'll try not to watch Frantic again between now and when we get there
Old Sep 1, 2007, 7:14 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by dingo
Earthman, if I were you I'd just get a cab from the train station to the hotel. If you have luggage it may be a pain changing metro stations and why have your first experience with Paris be hauling luggage from metro station to metro station then down the sidewalk to the hotel. Get a cab, look at the city and smile to yourself knowing that favor a few extra Euro you get to relax and realize you are in Paris in the fall.
Mrs. Jumpdogjump and I were quite tired after our transatl. and Eurostar trip in Feb. It is the same station, but it seemed a bit large and confusing in our tired state. Traveling with our bags, we decided to try the taxi line outside. The rain and length of taxi line (and lack of umbrella) caused me to negotiate a no-wait limo ride outside for 90 euro all-in to the PDG (normally 100-110 with this driver). Well worth it IMO to ensure a seamless start to our trip.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by ldsant
Additionally, honestly - you're in Paris - how much time will you be spending in your hotel room?
I strongly disagree!

Before I started to travel extensively and became SPG Plat and all that, we stayed at some cheapo tourist hotels near the Boulevard Haussmann, with a tiny elevator which could fit only person, and my kids are still talking about it (not in a positive tone, of course).

Needless to say, during our family vacations where we have stayed at "cheaper" hotels, the consensus has been that it has not been a great vacation, and the opposite has been 100% true, e.g. staying at a great hotel made for a fantastic vacation.

This is ESPECIALLY true for Paris, where most hotel rooms tend to be small and people used to US standard rooms and amenities will be shocked at what 2 stars and 3 stars (and even some 4 stars) accommodations will end up looking like. And I don't care if I go back to my hotel just to sleep (if that's the case, then why does everyone worry so much about upgrades and lounge access? )

Seems to me that for this FT crowd of Plat and Plat-wannabes, nothing less than luxury 5 stars accommodations will do, and even then there are still whining

To each its own, but IMO, I don't mind staying at a decent business hotel for my work (see my post on my recent stay at Le Meridien Etoile) but if I'm taking the family, I want the hotel to be top notch, the best that I can afford be it using points, cash + points, or straight cash.

Right now, for Paris, I prefer the Westin Paris over the Prince de Galles, but I reserve the right to change my mind
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:48 am

Hmmm stayed during Christmas in the PdG and had one of the biggest suites I ever stayed in... Everything in the hotel of course overpriced (1 coffee, 2 tea for 29 Euros) but that's Paris... Around the corner of the Champs so plenty of opportunities to eat outdoors and also subway is really really near... I don't know the Westin of course, but the PdG seemed really good to me!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
So... while the SPs/nite are still the same until March 2 - which is a better place to stay for 2 adults (on vacation) that are a measely SPG Gold?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 4:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by bluztuzumab
So... while the SPs/nite are still the same until March 2 - which is a better place to stay for 2 adults (on vacation) that are a measely SPG Gold?
The Hyatt?

Are you using points? Or is this a paid stay? Is this your first trip to Paris? Honeymoon?

There are quite a number of inexpensive places in Paris. Aside from the location this hotel really does not have a lot going for it imo. As a Platinum the three times I stayed there I was not upgraded (last time was shown a smoking room after waiting for over 3 hours for a room). Was finally shown a nice room with a terrace that overlooked the courtyard - but that was not what I was provided initially. If points I would probably save my points for another hotel where you could get a better value in the long run.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
I am using StarPoints (purely) - and plan to say at PDG or the Westin Paris - looking for input. We are Gold (not freq travelers - and do not expect upgrades) - a smoking room would be unacceptable (from SF Bay Area). I have been to Paris a few times (business and pleasure) - my wife has not.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 5:57 pm

... a smoking room would be unacceptable (from SF Bay Area).
I find this so amusing...thank you for living up to the stereotype of SF, and for recognizing it!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:43 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I am using StarPoints (purely) - and plan to say at PDG or the Westin Paris - looking for input. We are Gold (not freq travelers - and do not expect upgrades) - a smoking room would be unacceptable (from SF Bay Area). I have been to Paris a few times (business and pleasure) - my wife has not.
I personally find pdg awful. I would most definitely recommend the Westin. It's nice enough, very well located, the concierge is very well connected and can get you tables at restaurants which, supposedly, have three month booking times, and most importantly, consistently better service.

enjoy your vacation!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 6:45 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
BTW......just wondering, when will you be there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.