Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craz
yea I hated it when they changed 98th St to N/O, but some times I was doing a Run while out in LA.The 1st time I parked and didnt check the signs then by chance saw 1 and looked and realized if I ran into Irrops of any kind Id get back too late so I parked elsewhere.
I've read this about seven times and still can't figure out what you are trying to say. Can you try one more time? What is N/O.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I've read this about seven times and still can't figure out what you are trying to say. Can you try one more time? What is N/O.
No overnight?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
My interpretation is that 98th street went from allowing parking (on the north side of the street) to No overnite parking

He also was trying to say that when they did allow overnight parking, he had to be aware of street sweeping. He was doing some mileage runs and if things went as scheduled, he would be fine and could get his car before it was time to move it. However if there were any IRROPs, he would be screwed and not make it back in time to get his car before street sweeping. Hence he'd be towed. And its not just a ticket, its a ticket and a tow.

I'd never leave my car if I was flying, only when staying at hotels.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:19 am
Suspended

sorry Trojan used O/N for overnight and I used N/O for no overnight
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Himself and I walked to the bar the other day; he had a Russian stout and I had a Mai tai. Both were better than the equivalents in the Hilton bar.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
My interpretation is that 98th street went from allowing parking (on the north side of the street) to No overnite parking

He also was trying to say that when they did allow overnight parking, he had to be aware of street sweeping. He was doing some mileage runs and if things went as scheduled, he would be fine and could get his car before it was time to move it. However if there were any IRROPs, he would be screwed and not make it back in time to get his car before street sweeping. Hence he'd be towed. And its not just a ticket, its a ticket and a tow.

I'd never leave my car if I was flying, only when staying at hotels.
I used to park by the liquor store ,( then they put the meters in then to make things worse no overnight parking) right off the corner. Now its a slightly longer walk.

Its not only LAX by LGA I usually street park and NYC has alternate street parking , so I try to make sure that I have at least 1 or 2 days between when I should be back till when I need to move the car. Otherwise getting a tkt and/or tow costs more then a lot would have

Its not only what the weather will be like in NY but where Im going and connecting as well! A SEA-DEN/ORD-LGA trip this year most likely would have yielded me a tkt and tow, yet NY was clear of anything
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:39 am
Company Representative - Four Points by Sheraton LAX

Wow, what a mixed stay report.

Pros:
* Phil blocked a junior suite for me and was very helpful/communicative
* Phil left a plate of cookies and grapes in my room (2 yummy chocolate chip cookies and one oatmeal)
* The room was nice. Large living room with a railroad sitting area and a second flatscreen TV. It might be difficult for two people in the room to be watching different TV programs since they are so close, but it gives one person the option of watching TV from bed or on a couch. The bathroom was small but functional. Unfortunately, there was a connecting door (more on that later).

Cons:
* Front desk - The front desk just isn't on the ball. In my original post, I used the term "fairly incompetent." That might be harsh...but, regardless of the characterization, it wasn't a great experience.

1) Check-in: I was first on deck in the SPG Platinum/Gold line while the hotel associate was helping a woman settle her bill with cash. Well, this transaction took forever. In the meantime, the regular line was moving and moving and moving. At no point did the woman working the regular line call me over even though: 1) she could clearly see me waiting (the lines are next to each other inches apart) and 2) people that got in line well after me were through the line and on their merry way while I was waiting. Moreover, the SPG elite associate -- knowing he was taking some time -- never suggested I should move to the other line or, better yet, ask his counterpart to help me. Both associates were just oblivious.

When no one was left in the regular line, the woman still didn't look my way until I finally just walked over to her. She welcomed me and "saw that I was using points for my stay" (note: I wasn't using points but didn't want to say anything that might confuse her). She then offered me the Platinum breakfast. I informed her that two people were in the room and asked if the breakfast covered two. She said it did. She gave me my key packet and I left. Of course, halfway to the door I noticed that she only gave me one key. So, I had to go back to the desk and ask for a second key. I reminded her that I told her two were in the room and she said: "Oh, right." (Don't most front desk associates ask "how many keys?" When she didn't ask, I assume she gleaned two-keys-required from my breakfast question.) Definitely not the sharpest knife...

2) While the junior suite was nice, rooms with connecting doors are always a cr*pshoot. A quiet neighbor, all is well. A loud neighbor ruins the experience. I had two loud guys in the room next to me and my bed pillow was about 3'ish feet from the connecting door. I could have called down and had security visit, but I don't think that would have helped much. Even if they quieted down initially, when they returned at 2 AM they definitely would have woken me up. So, I decided to switch rooms.

Luckily there was no one on the SPG line. When I explained the problem (and told him I wanted a room with no connecting door), no apology was offered and the agent spent about two seconds issuing me another room. He moved me from a junior suite with one king bed to a regular room with two beds. I am fine with losing the upgrade (it was late), but why would he send me to another room without warning me about the bed type change? Am I missing something here? Wouldn't that be something you'd want to point out? He just handed me the new key packet. Very odd.

So, marched down to the front desk. The same agent said: "Sorry, nothing else available." I then asked him to call the Westin and the Sheraton to see if they had availability. At that point, he got on his computer and after a few minutes, he found a great room on the top floor with no connecting room and a king bed. Hmm....questions: 1) did that room magically become available/cleaned in the two seconds from when he said "Sorry, nothing else available" to when he re-looked?, 2) Why didn't he give me that room five minutes earlier the first time I visited the front desk to change rooms? Again, at 10:30-11 PM did that room suddenly become cleaned and available (or was he just lazy and didn't feel like looking)?

Remember: this agent was working the SPG Elite line!! Pitiful customer service.

After that mess, the stay was uneventful. The room was nice and I found the wifi speed to be great even though I was at the end of the hallway. The bed was comfortable. I wasn't thrilled with the long black hair left in the toilet but whatever.

So, clearly a mixed stay. I doubt I would come back...but, never say never. Stay would have been much better with a different front desk experience.

Edited to add: Just a heads up....the free breakfast coupon only says "breakfast". Nowhere on the voucher does it say it is only good for the buffet...but, the waiter said it only applied to the buffet. Again, not a complaint, just a heads up.
Well...I'm learning that the negative comments are by far the most useful in Social Media.

Check-In - We've been addressing the Elite Check-in Line based on comments from our guests and from comments posted here. The FO Supervisors are supposed to watch the line carefully and adress any logjams present themselves.

I think someone posted that we seem to have more than our fair share of problem check-ins. That seems to us to be the case as well. We're looking at addressing what is under our control, for example reservations booking very short term through OTAs where a fax that came in an hour before arrival hasn't been entered yet. Also, we accomodate early check-in requests, but that sometimes means unblocking and reblocking rooms which in turn creates some issues later in the day. There are some more reasons as well that we are working on.

Regarding the elite line vs the regular line the agents had some issues that I hadn't anticipated. Apparently when the guests in the regular line keep stepping up the agents are having a problem asking them to wait and then take the next guest in the elite line. They cited an example when the two guests actually fought over who should be taken next. This should be an easy fix with some coaching and observation.

The room move...Baltazar was the agent who you encountered. I'll give you the response from him unfiltered. Clearly he could have handled it with a little more polish. When you came down he felt that connecting door was the overriding issue and wanted to get you moved quickly and didn't think to ask about bed type. (he should have done this.) When you came back down he actually unblocked a Platinum Guest to get you in the King room. He did the right thing here, although we don't encourage the agents to unblock VIP rooms because it has implications with amenities, notes, etc.

Breakfast - opens at 6 am and closes at 11 am when we move meal service to Brewster's. The Platinum voucher is something I started doing based on the comments here and in other threads regarding the lounges in the Sheraton and Westin. The intent is to have the voucher available for the breakfast buffet only. There should be plenty there and you can always order your eggs a way other than scrambled and ask for english muffins or another tyle of bread that isn't on the buffet.

Parking - I think our $19 overnight charge is the loweset for any hotel's adjacent lot. Its great to hear that there are street parking alternatives for our savvy guests.

I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know how your stay goes. These comments drive the "six sigma" work. Keep 'em coming...oh and please don't forget to let me know some good things as well (before I buy stock in Tums).

All the best and I hope you'll keep staying with us!!!

Phil GM
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by PhilFPLAXGM
Parking - I think our $19 overnight charge is the loweset for any hotel's adjacent lot. Its great to hear that there are street parking alternatives for our savvy guests.
Phil, thanks for being here.

I can confirm that this is the lowest I've seen for local hotels.

Other rates nearby:

Marriott: $27.50
Renaissance: $25
Embassy Suites: $24
Radisson: $22 (valet only on-site)
Hilton: $20

ETA a couple more adjacent hotels:
Courtyard by Marriott: $20 (valet only on-site)
Sheraton LAX: $13.20, but text implies it's actually off-site but close

So far as I can recall (and I walked that area recently), that covers every hotel within 1-2 blocks of the Four Points.

Last edited by deirdre; Jan 23, 2012 at 12:45 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by deirdre

Other rates nearby:

THanks alot for posting this!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:17 pm
Suspended

The room move...Baltazar was the agent who you encountered. I'll give you the response from him unfiltered. Clearly he could have handled it with a little more polish. When you came down he felt that connecting door was the overriding issue and wanted to get you moved quickly and didn't think to ask about bed type. (he should have done this.) When you came back down he actually unblocked a Platinum Guest to get you in the King room. He did the right thing here, although we don't encourage the agents to unblock VIP rooms because it has implications with amenities, notes, etc.
As I said in a later post, I am open to being proven wrong/additional information. I appreciate the front desk agent unblocking a room for me. Clearly, he should have warned me that he was changing my bedding type and that probably put me in a bad mood since I had to go up and down several times with my luggage (at 11 PM which was really 2 AM for my body clock).

Breakfast - opens at 6 am and closes at 11 am when we move meal service to Brewster's. The Platinum voucher is something I started doing based on the comments here and in other threads regarding the lounges in the Sheraton and Westin. The intent is to have the voucher available for the breakfast buffet only. There should be plenty there and you can always order your eggs a way other than scrambled and ask for english muffins or another tyle of bread that isn't on the buffet.
Again, I was not complaining about the breakfast buffet. I was simply stating that the voucher is not marked "buffet only." I was alerting other Platinums. I appreciate the voluntary amenity you are providing.

oh and please don't forget to let me know some good things as well (before I buy stock in Tums).
I think I had compliments in my post. I appreciate your participation in Flyertalk, as well as the junior suite and cookies. I failed to mention that the hotel was pretty packed Friday night so the upgrade was a nice gesture. I also thought the final room was awesome. If I could have that room each time I stay, you would have a long-time customer. I would love the room and I would have little interaction with the front desk. That would kill two birds with one stone.

Edited to add: I also think Baltazar dropped the ball when it came to my first interaction with the front desk. He saw me waiting in line and knew his cash transaction was taking forever. He could have suggested I use the regular line or -- better yet -- asked his colleague to take me next. (And, his colleague working the regular line could have also used her eyeballs, as well.) The first two interactions probably put me in a sour mood, I will admit, and that impacted my review.

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Jan 23, 2012 at 12:24 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by deirdre

Other rates nearby:

thanks for posting this

great post ^
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Well...I'm learning that the negative comments are by far the most useful in Social Media.

Check-In - We've been addressing the Elite Check-in Line based on comments from our guests and from comments posted here. The FO Supervisors are supposed to watch the line carefully and adress any logjams present themselves.

I think someone posted that we seem to have more than our fair share of problem check-ins. That seems to us to be the case as well. We're looking at addressing what is under our control, for example reservations booking very short term through OTAs where a fax that came in an hour before arrival hasn't been entered yet. Also, we accomodate early check-in requests, but that sometimes means unblocking and reblocking rooms which in turn creates some issues later in the day. There are some more reasons as well that we are working on.

Regarding the elite line vs the regular line the agents had some issues that I hadn't anticipated. Apparently when the guests in the regular line keep stepping up the agents are having a problem asking them to wait and then take the next guest in the elite line. They cited an example when the two guests actually fought over who should be taken next. This should be an easy fix with some coaching and observation.

I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know how your stay goes. These comments drive the "six sigma" work. Keep 'em coming...oh and please don't forget to let me know some good things as well (before I buy stock in Tums).

All the best and I hope you'll keep staying with us!!!

Phil GM
1- this is why its Great having you here, as you read whats not going down correctly hopefully it can be corrected and that would put an end to it continuing and make checkin etc that much quicker

2- as for the parking, very few Airport full service hotels dont charge any and in alot of cases the guest may pay for it but it gets expensed. Those of us who travel on our own dime, try to limit our expenses to the least amount we can. But I agree the 4P charges less then most if not all the others when it comes to parking fees.

I cant remember the last time I paid to park at any Hotel and try my best to avoid those that do charge. Of cause due to teh street parking by The 4P I get to have the best of both worlds, free parking yet being able to stay at the Hotel, which by some Hotels either its pay or stay elsewhere
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:51 pm

I hope I didn't come off as defensive or trying to prove you wrong. At the end of the day it's about how we make you feel. This was clearly on us and I apologize that your stay didn't go the way either of us wanted it to. Thanks again for posting and hopefully we'll get a face to face one of these days! Best, Phil
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:54 pm
Suspended

I hope I didn't come off as defensive or trying to prove you wrong.
No, not at all. I guess what I was trying to say was that the time of day/my exhaustion level (Friday night, 2 AM body clock) probably impacted my review of the front desk. Watching the regular line move and move got things off to a bad start. Having to return (with my luggage) to the front desk extra times definitely soured me. Once everything got settled, I enjoyed the room.

Thank you and I look forward to meeting you in person.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Thumbs up Stay report 1/20/2012

I stayed for two night. What a pleasant surprise. I would stay here again. VERY modern and upscale hotel. I have stayed at many LAX hotels in the last couple of years and this is at the top.
I wrote a review on trip advisor for more info if you wish to read it.

I do think that the prices at this hotel are below other LAX airport hotels and the property is superior. It is not like the mega hotels such as the Hilton, Marriott and Sheraton LAX, so it is more comfortable.

The GM Phil was very helpful with my reservation, as was Peter and the other front desk staff.

A great hotel, a great value and again, very nice facilities!

PS Be sure to request one of the newer rooms. Some rooms have yet to be renovated.
Only suggestion is to automatically provide Gold members with breakfast, as the other chains do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.