Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Has left Marriott] Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Has left Marriott] Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: Platinum Preferred and AMEX SPG Card Member
Westin Harbour Island just a few blocks away

I recently stayed at the Westin Harbour Island a few blocks away and was treated like a King. I was upgraded to the SPG floor, corner suite and great views of the city. The St. Pete forum was right across the street. The staff was excellent and the breakfast was delightful!

The best part, booked the Westin for the same price as the Riverwalk! You should try it next time instead, you won't be disappointed.

dlloverinjax
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat, Hertz 5*Gold, MR Silver, Avis Preferred, AMEX Plat/SPG/DeltaPlat
yeah, I waited too long to book it and when I finally did, only the tampa riverwalk and the suites by TPA were avail....anyway, heading back there tomorrow and got the westin this time
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold; AAdvantage Gold; HH Gold
Tampa is in desperate need of some more SPG properties and some more hotel rooms in general. It's amazing how many days out of the year you can't find a decent hotel room in town (at SPG properties, Hiltons, Hyatts, Marriotts and anything else, even).

There was word of a new Westin coming to the Tampa airport area but I've not heard anything about that for a year or so now (when it was supposed to have opened earlier this year, I believe).

I sometimes wonder if both of Tampa's Sheraton properties owe a great deal of their business to the fact that there is but one other SPG property in Tampa proper. hehe. In other words, a selection by default rather than choice.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Post Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk - Trip Review

Date: December 29, 2007

Hanging out in Downtown Tampa. This was a very uneventful stay as I was rarely in the room.

SUMMARY
Check-in/Check-out [4 out of 5]
Two tour groups and a wedding party are in the reception area. Yet it only took about 5 minutes to be checked in.

When I checked out, the place was empty and it took two seconds.

Common Areas [2]
From the porte cochere, you enter into the lobby, reception and have access to the restaurant, meeting rooms as well as the Pool & Pool deck. There is a gym, but I never saw it. Go figure.

Hallways are a little dated, and could stand a little refresher but noting to complain about.

Note for anyone planning to stay at this property. The elevators are being renovated and only ONE elevator is operating. You can use the stairs, but if you have bags it’s a bit much. It is not clear how long this renovation project will take. The waits are long!

Guest Rooms [4]
I was assigned a king room with a balcony on the Club level. Room was nice with seating area and very sunny. Although the balcony was facing the river and above the pool it was very quiet. The only noice I could here is opening and closing doors in morning.

Overall First Impression: Clean, very bright, with great view.
Bed: A little soft for my taste.
Furniture & Decor: Decent, but mismatch. It appears they’ve made an attempt to keep it in good working condition. If they update the sofa and install a uniform tv stand and desk it would up the look of the room. As the lamps, bed and ottoman were very nice.
Closet Space: deep closet with a hanging shoe tree. That the first time I’ve seen that in a hotel!
Workspace: wood desk, with pop up electrical sockets.
View: Had a view across the river.
Harbor Island. Rooms on the sides look at either the convention center or the Arena.
Wetbar: Small wetbar area inbetween the bathroom and the rooms entry. The coffee maker was there, extra electrical outlets. There were coffee cups, drinking glasses AND plastic cups.

Guest Room Bathrooms [4]
Large, bright and clean.
Mirror: Large mirror three-sided mirror.
Sink: Nice sink and counter space. Sink felt higher than most, a plus for me.
Shower: Nice shower with what appears to be modern hardware, very nice.
Toiletries: full compliment of Shine by Bliss toiletries. Mouthwash not show.

Housekeeping [NA]
No issues as I only spent one night in the property. However, when I arrived at the room it was spotless. Including the sliding doors.

High Speed Wired/Wireless Internet Access [5]
Free wireless access in every room and common areas! Rejoice!!

Club Level/Lounge
The property has a club, however it was closed for the holiday. Each guest on the Club Level was given one (1) coupon for an evening appetizer and drink AND one (1) coupon for breakfast in the restaurant during the closure, for each day of their stay.

Fitness Center [1]
Couldn’t find it, maybe its hiding next to the gym.

Pool [1]
Nice pool and surrounding pool deck. The hotel is doing some cosmetic improvements to the deck but it doesn’t take away from use of the pool or deck.

Business Center [NA]
There is a business center off the lobby but I didn’t use it.

Concierge
Didn’t see one

Parking/Valet [0]
I didn’t rent a car, but there is no self parking on Valet. When I tried to get a cab to the airport the staff was useless. When I called down earlier to inquire about transportation to the airport, I was told cabs are plentiful and the taxi company is located next door so you don’t need to order a cab. When I got down stairs…no cab, the staff kept saying “usually cars line up across the street”. My response, “…and what’s that got to do with today, right now?? Can you help me obtain a cab to the airport right now?” I actually walk up the block to the Hyatt to get a cab. The guy I flagged down, got me to the airport in 15 minutes!

Dining
I only had the breakfast in restaurant. Selection of the buffet was great, but the staff was unprepared and overwhelmed.

Would I return? Yes.
Would I recommend? Yes
Would I recommend this as Family Hotel: Yes, but keep in mind you’ll have to take a bus, drive or cab it to any sights or attractions. 20 minute walk to Channelside/Aquarium. You can also take a loop bus to the trolley.
Would I recommend for someone looking for Dining/Nightlife: NO downtown Tampa is dead.
Would I recommend restaurant? NA
Value for price paid? Excellent.

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 7

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jan 6, 2008 at 8:19 am Reason: needed to add breakfast buffett pics---sorry
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Wow! Thanks for the detailed trip report CheapElite! Nice job ^
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
nice review, better than I thought. And very impressed with the bathroom as well. I agree the wallpaper and hallway could use an update!

Any public area shots?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
nice review, better than I thought. And very impressed with the bathroom as well. I agree the wallpaper and hallway could use an update!

Any public area shots?
The only public area is the lobby and it was fine. The hotel is not that big.

Usually I take a picture of the lobby and/or the adjacent area, but because there were so many people the times I went thru it, I forgot to take one in the early morning.
Old May 7, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Review of Recent Stay

I was a bit leery of this property given the mixed reviews on this board, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

I completed a 2 day stay this past weekend, and it was a very pleasurable stay. Rooms were new, fresh, and spacious. Seamless service from the front desk, bar, room service, and valet. Enjoyed the balcony overlooking the river and had great views.

The hotel was lightly booked during my stay, so this may have helped the service level.

All in all, no complaints and a great value for the price paid.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Anyone stayed here lately? Is there still construction? I plan to be at this property in July for a cruise. Any info will help - thanks,

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Mar 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Anyone stayed here lately? Is there still construction? I plan to be at this property in July for a cruise. Any info will help - thanks,
I'll be there next week and will post some photos and an update when I get back.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I stayed here for three nights in January on a cash + points rate. At checkin, recevied 3 breakfast vouchers, 3 appetizer vouchers, and 6 drink coupons.. It was the weekend and the lounge was closed. I was also put in a room on the concierge level.

I did not spot any constructions and overall was satisfied with my stay. The staff was friendly and the room had a large balcony overlooking the river. The only thing which gave me pause was a number of strange stains on the carpet in my room; other than that, everything seemed to be very clean.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
4th of July fireworks

Which hotel is better to view 4th of July fireworks? The Sheraton or Westin? Or will it be easier to just walk to the firework location? I can also stay at the Hyatt if that is a better location.

Any suggestions are appreciated
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:22 am
Suspended

Which hotel is better to view 4th of July fireworks? The Sheraton or Westin? Or will it be easier to just walk to the firework location? I can also stay at the Hyatt if that is a better location.

Any suggestions are appreciated
The fireworks are on Harbor Island so I would chose the Westin.

I've never been for fireworks. If you look at a google map of downtown. The Westin, Marriott, Embassy Suites are in close proximity. The Hyatt is on the other side of the Highway and the ES & Marriott might block views.

The sheraton is west of the Hyatt and one side face the river, so not sure if the fireworks can be viewed.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
The fireworks are on Harbor Island so I would chose the Westin.
Thanks for the information. I just might call the hotel to confirm.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:40 am

Anyone have a report since the renovation? Specifically, I like to know about the Club lounge, its hours of operation and what goodies come along with Club floor access (e.g. what is the food and beverage service like, how large is the Lounge, etc.).

I'll be there at the end of April but I can always change to another property if necessary.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.