Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Guildford, Vancouver BC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Guildford, Vancouver BC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2007, 2:32 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I don't know anything about that hotel but I grew up in the Vancouver area so I can tell you about Surrey.

Surrey is a distant suburb of Vancouver well known for its high crime rate. There is an out of control drug problem there as well as out of control petty street crime. Surrey is the car theft capitol of Canada.

Because of Surrey's longstanding problems it has become the butt of many jokes.

Surrey is connected to the rest of Greater Vancouver by the Skytrain rapid transit system. The Skytrain allows quick and convenient access for criminals from Surrey to fan out over the rest of the Vancouver area and commit B & E's. For this reason people who live within a few blocks of Skytrain stations anywhere else in the Vancouver area are often victims of break-ins and theft from auto.

When I am in Vancouver I do not go anywhere near Surrey. If I did have to go to Surrey, I would go in daylight, stay in areas where a lot of people are around, and I would not bring my wife or family. Certainly I would not carry a camera, wear jewelry etc.

I would suggest you stay elsewhere even if you have already booked this hotel.
I guess I need to defend Surrey a little bit. I am from Surrey and my home is about 5 minutes drive from the hotel. I stayed there a few times when my home was under renovation. I will give a little comment on Surrey and on my next post, I will talk a little about this hotel.

Surrey is a suburb of Vancouver. In BC, any area that has more than 10000 people is legally called a "City", thus it is called the City of Surrey eventhough it is actually a suburb of Vancouver. It is one of the fastest growing suberbs of Vancouver. Depending on which part of Surrey you live, it would give hints on the relative wealth you have. Northern Surrey and Southern Surrey are where the relatively well off people live. House prices in these areas are on par with the ones in Vancouver (ie 0.8 - 3 million dollars) ranges. It is also relatively safe in these areas compared to Vancouver. This hotel is located in the Nothern end of Surrey and is walking distance to Guldford Mall which is one of the two largest shopping areas in Surrey (the other one is in the Southern Surry called Strawberry Hill). Surrey is also a popular place for East Indians to build their community.

If you have a rental car, the best way to get from Guildford hotel to downtown is to drive to the skytrain station, park the car around that area - which is free parking and take the skytrain. I would recommend "Gateway" station which is a very peaceful station. Among the years I stayed in Surrey, I have not gotten my car stolen nor have my car been damanged.

If you don't have a rental car, then take the bus from Guildford mall and transfer to the skytrain at the terminal bus station.
Old May 21, 2007, 7:49 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
the hotel itself

For the record, I have stayed in the hotel few years back when my/my mom's house was under renovation and I live about 5 minutes drive from the hotel. I stayed there twice because of a job related conference - hey free points, free food and 2 free night credits I can't say no that.

This is the hotels weakest point. It is located in the Surrey suburb of Vancouver. It is about 30 minutes from the US-Canada border. It is an ideal hotel if you are driving from Washington State and need a place to crash for the night before entering Vancouver city.

To the hotel credit, it is located in the one of the two most wealthy areas of Surrey - ie Northern Surrey. It is 2 block away from the major highway enterance (highway 1) which would take you accross Port Manns Bridge and straight into Vancouver OR the other way which would take you out of Vancouver in a long drive to Calgary, Alberta or Northeren BC.

Next to the hotel is a mall, decent in size and have a SilverCity movie theater complex. To be perfectly honest, these 10 - 20 screen Silvercity theaters is better quality than the downtown movie theater in Seattle. You will see them around Vancouver and their suburbs a lot. Next to the mall is a relatively new recreational complex. It is publiclly funded and has a library, badminton gyms, basketball courts, and a two floor gym for workout and equiped with many Cardio and weights equipment.

Hotel Services

As a Platinum member, among all the Starwood hotels I have stayed in, this is only one of the two in which the Manager writes a personal note to me. The other hotel was the Sharaton Sapporo, Hokkaidou, Japan. It was a pleasent surprise to me both times because the manager actually would spend time out of his busy schedule on a valued customer. I did feel special.

To make things better, both times, on top of standard Platinum ammenities, I was given gifts inside the room. First time was a bowl of nuts (a first in my experience) - good for watching TV at night and chewing them. Second time the gift was a plate of fruit. Only when I was in Westin Bangkok, Thailand did I get a plate of fruit as a gift.

There is a lounge for Platinum guests. I didn't have much time to use it. The hotel also have a swimming pool, and a gym. If you beleive the gym is not up-to-par, there is a new recreation center that is next to the Guildford mall.

Hotel offers free breakfast for platinum members in a form of a standard North American buffet. Nothing grand, but fills you up. For a catagory 2 hotel, this is one of the best bang for the buck!

When I checked out during my 2nd visit, the manager personally checked out for me. He gave me his card and told me that when I return, I let him know. Now! THAT is 1st class service and never would have expected it in a 3rd class hotel. I am extremely happy with the service.

If any other Plat members are staying in this hotel in the future and want to give a heads up to the manager, John Kearns, please private message me and I will give you his email and contact info.

Rooms
As I always stress, even in my own Japan Starwood Hotel review thread, the most important to me is the bed. Sure enough, they have the sweet-sleepers. The rooms are reasonable size, bigger than the "Wonderful!" room in W Seattle and similar to the room size in Westin Los Angeles Airport. (that is the cloest comparision I can remember) You either get a mountain view (my 1st stay) or a city view (my 2nd stay), both shows a why we are called "Beautiful British Columbia" on our car license plate. At night time, both rooms are quiet.

Your rooms would have a 32 inch plasma TV - very decent. Not often have I encounter a 3rd tier hotel that has a Plasma TV. Standard Sharaton Robes provided. Bathing equipment also name brand Pantene Pro-V hair shampoo and Pantene bodywash. A little girly but seems pretty good.

Conclusion
I think this hotel is up-to-par with one of the best I stayed with in terms of service wise. In fact, the service was way better than what I had in Sharaton Wall Street hotel in which they gave me a wrong room and a floor where the ice machine and vending machine wasn't working. The weak point is that it is well... it is in a suburb of Vancouver.

For $100 less per night than downtown Starwoods, it comes down to personal perference. Convenient VS value? If you have a car, I would recommend staying in this hotel since parking is free (like parking at the mall next to the hotel instead of using the hotel Valet). Parking fees in downtown costs you $20 - 30 a day (enough for lunch for a person). You would drive to sky train station and park there free and take the skytrain.

If it you don't have a car, then maybe it is better to pay that extra $100 and stay downtown. It is not as convienent to get to downtown Vancouver. I beleive it takes about an hour and half total from bus to skytrain to downtown. When skytrain stop running at midnight and you got to get back to the hotel, a cab ride will set you back close to $100.
Old May 21, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Also see the following thread for recent reviews of this hotel.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441441
Old Jun 27, 2007, 7:30 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Sharaton Guildford House Cleaning cleaned my lugguage away~

I am not sure if any Plat members ever had this experience before. I stayed in Vancouver Guildford hotel in Surrey suburb last weekend June 25 - 26 and I am a 1st year Platinum member. I was in Surrey to meet up with some friends before becoming a groomsman in a wedding in Yukon.

On the day of check out, my friend and I decided to go to buy a pair of runners and a rain jacket. As a Platinum benifit, I have up till 4:00pm to check out. I wanted to check out around 3:00pm so I left for lunch WITHOUT checking out.

When I retuned from my lunch, I entered the room. It was nicely cleaned and made. Not only did they cleaned the washroom and made they bed, they also "cleaned" my luggage and all my face products (shaver, cleanser..etc) All my stuff was gone.

I went to the front desk. Now the manager was out calling the head of the maintenence to find out what was going on. While I waited, the manager, a nice women, asked if I had lunch yet - which I hadn't. She insisted treating me for lunch at the cafe on the hotel's dime while they figure things out. I have low expectations and just wanted my luggage back. I was thinking the time I would need to replace everything in those baggage including my suit! Can't show up in a wedding with a pair of jeans

While I was eating lunch. the manager returned telling me all the items are back into my room. She said it was a mistake on their part and the house keeping placed my lugguage at "lost and found" and assumed I checked out but abandoned my lugguage. She said it never happend in their hotel before and it was a bizzare case. I was happy that they found the lugguage and after my initial inspection, nothing was missing.

When I checked out, I was asked if they could give me an additional 2000 points for all the problems they caused. I was very happy that they found my luggage and the free lunch. The 2000 points is like an icing on the cake. I left the hotel happy and this experience solidified this Vancouver Guildford Hotel as one of the better Starwood hotels I have been in. (note: I have not received any points or stay credits yet from this hotel I will update this post when they do)

My other 4 point experience was not as good. Screw up happens from time to time. You can tell how good service is by how they handle screw-ups. I have not been disappointed by this hotel yet.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I spent about 6 months at this hotel last year on Business and I agree totally. Service was top notch, I normally arrived on Sundays at noon and they always accomodated an early check in. The hotel is renovated and the rooms are nice and big. I fondly remember my stay there.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
I understand this property is currently undergoing renovations. Anyone have ideas what upgrades are being made to the property?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Just completed a 4-night stay here

This was my third visit and I continue to be impressed by the hotel, one of the best in its category. As a lowly Gold, I received a card from the manager, chocolate as a gift, and exemplary service from all staff at the hotel throughout the visit. yeunganson's review above captures the spirit of the hotel very well.

Even in a sold-out environment, I was always able to get a seat in the club lounge and the restaurant when I needed it. The club floor rooms are comfortable, spacious and upgraded recently with new TVs and bathroom fixtures. They match up well with club floor rooms in hotels 1-2 categories higher.

The hotel is undergoing significant external reservations and they have closed the pool, no great loss as the pool is quite small. Noise was a non-issue for my stay and they've kept the fitness facility open.

If you need to do most of your business downtown, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you need to branch out to the rest of the lower mainland or any of the periphery of the city, the location here is just ideal. It's close to all major arteries and has all major services nearby. The dining options aren't what you'd get in West Van or Kitsilano but there are lots of decent choices nearby that go well beyond standard chains and offer lots of variety.

Price is about half of what I'd expect in this market.

Big thumbs up.^
Old Apr 18, 2010, 2:35 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Just completed a stay here again -- one of my favourite hotels due to the low cost and great Club benefits as a Plat member. On weekends, Club Lounge is closed but you get coupons for a small plate of appies from the restaurant and in the morning you get a full breakfast buffet as a part of the Club access. During the week, the Lounge is open and the same appies and breakfast is served in the Club Lounge.

Parking has gone up to $8.00 for overnight but there is plenty of street parking available.

Used the in-room internet and no charge appeared on the folio.

Currently, the hotel is doing some renos on the conference level (Level 2) and refurbishing one of their 3 guest elevators. This, plus a very high occupancy, led to very long waits for elevators.

At check-out, for the inconvenience, the hotel proactively offered me 2500 bonus SPG points.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Update from a stay this week

This property continues to be one of the better bargains in the chain, especially after the welcome upgrades to the main area, the elevators and, especially, the fitness area.

I've never missed an upgrade here, even when the hotel seems full or very close to it. On this stay, I received a top floor club room with a great view of the mountains, and a personal welcome letter from the GM.

The club lounge deserves special mention here, especially at the price point. Although the room is small, it has terrific views, a nice breakfast and a very good evening spread. I appreciated the veggie and snack tray available in the afternoon, too, as well as the variety of drinks available 24-7.

Laurie and Rachel, the two club lounge attendants, provide exceptional service. Throughout my stay, they remembered my name, the name of my work colleague, and both of our drink preferences.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I still wonder the thread title shows "Vancouver, BC"

To those not familiar with the area, this property is NOT in Vancouver proper and in fact is about a 20 minute drive to the Vancouver city limit border.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
To update the thread, the lounge is open 7 days (at least according to the sign). Service at the property is wonderful, especially from the lounge attendants. Rooms are in good shape and no funny odors, etc. There's even windows that open up (partially) for ventilation.

Parking is now $9 inclusive of all taxes.

Thumbs up on this property.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:14 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I spent close to 4 months there back in 2007.

I thought the Club Lounge was excellent. View was very nice with good food at night.

I thought the pool area was nice as well.

Great bartenders in lobby.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Is this property good about upgrading plats to a suite?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
When I was Plat, I used to stay here if I needed a few extra stays. I rarely received suite upgrades. Always to Club room on usually on the same floor as the Club Lounge.

As a Gold, we now get SPG floor but "upgrade" to Mountain view. Still, a great property, especially at AAA/CAA rates.

For those who collect OpenTable points, the restaurant downstairs is offering 1000points for dining.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by luxury
When I was Plat, I used to stay here if I needed a few extra stays. I rarely received suite upgrades. Always to Club room on usually on the same floor as the Club Lounge.

As a Gold, we now get SPG floor but "upgrade" to Mountain view. Still, a great property, especially at AAA/CAA rates.

For those who collect OpenTable points, the restaurant downstairs is offering 1000points for dining.
That was not what I wanted to hear, but thank you so much for the quick reply. Guess I will just keep my fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.