Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Guildford, Vancouver BC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Guildford, Vancouver BC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:53 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
Car theft

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
You need a vehicle at this location because nothing is very convienent. The Guildford Mall is just down the street however it is just a standard surburban mall. If you are into fine dining, there is very little in Surrey. The commute to Vancouver is awful, it can take upwards of an hour during rush hour.

The actual hotel isn't bad. We got married in that hotel and they worked very hard to keep us happy.
You need a vehicle at this location - but it might get stolen! Not a surrey joke, just statistics - highest auto theft rate in Canada...
That said, there is a skytrain service that works well...
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:52 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by Christian
That said, there is a skytrain service that works well...
Skytrain is no way near this Sheraton. The closest Skytrain station is probably Surrey Central Station. Not walking distance at all.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
According to the website, this "premier four-star," "AAA three-diamond" property was recently transformed.

Does anyone have any current feedback on this property? Is free underground parking still a Plat perk here (as noted in one of the posts above)?

I have a reservation here on the night that we drive back from Whistler to SEA. Our goal is to have an easy drive south early the next morning -- not to be near downtown Vancouver. The fact that they have a year-round outdoor whirlpool sounds good to me for after a few days of skiing. ^
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Originally Posted by sc flier
According to the website, this "premier four-star," "AAA three-diamond" property was recently transformed.

Does anyone have any current feedback on this property? Is free underground parking still a Plat perk here (as noted in one of the posts above)?

I have a reservation here on the night that we drive back from Whistler to SEA. Our goal is to have an easy drive south early the next morning -- not to be near downtown Vancouver. The fact that they have a year-round outdoor whirlpool sounds good to me for after a few days of skiing. ^

I just saw a posting on this hotel in the "Platinum Upgrade Success" thread (post #503). It was pretty positive.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
The property has done a nice upgrade of itself, and my last stay there in November, I was not charged for Parking.

Normally get an upgrade here, and it has a nice Club Lounge
Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:16 am

Our short stay here was good, but we didn't take full advantage of everything that was offered.

Parking was not offered to me for free as a Plat perk. Self parking $6 or valet $9. We self-parked in the underground lot with a 30 foot walk to the elevator.

We did enjoy the outdoor hot tub. From 9pm - 11pm, it's adults only. ^ We were the only ones there. (Well, there's an eye in the sky above it, too, so who knows who might've been watching us soak our tired ski legs.) The tub seats are a bit shallow, but otherwise good.

The fitness room didn't have a lot of equipment, but it was probably better than the average hotel. Nice locker rooms, though. (The hotel website suggests the Guildford Recreation Centre that is a "two-minute walk away.")

Since the Club Lounge is closed on weekends, we were each given restaurant coupons good for one free appetizer in the evening and for one free continental breakfast. We used neither and checked out by 7am.

Two free bottles of water were in our nicely furnished room. The room was spacious but nothing really out of the ordinary. Everything seemed in very good condition. IIRC, floors 16 - 21 are Club floors, and floor 15 is an SPG floor.

The hotel now advertises on-site spa services. IIRC, massage prices were something like...
30 min $55
60 min $90
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:51 am

i was planning a trip to vancouver too and wanting to burn some of my points. thanks for the tips guys.. As a Gold, can I expect any upgrades/perks? Downtown Vancouver which I gather is not conveieient for this hotel, what about the other attractions in the area?

Would this hotel be a good base for driving around the area to the other attractions around?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Andy100
i was planning a trip to vancouver too and wanting to burn some of my points. thanks for the tips guys.. As a Gold, can I expect any upgrades/perks? Downtown Vancouver which I gather is not conveieient for this hotel, what about the other attractions in the area?

Would this hotel be a good base for driving around the area to the other attractions around?
Just an assumption (since I'm Plat), but I would expect Golds are likely to get upgraded to the SPG floor or Club Level floor since there are five floors of them.

I'm not sure what other attractions are in the area, but I can say that morning rush hour into Vancouver on a weekday did not look attractive. We were fortunately headed in the opposite direction. (If heading east on Hwy 1from the hotel, be sure to get directions first. There's a turn to Hwy 1 East that desperately needs a sign.)

My Google Earth mapping file of Starwood hotels might help you out to put this property's location into perspective. I'm not sure what other attractions are of interest in the Surrey area.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by sc flier
My Google Earth mapping file of Starwood hotels might help you out to put this property's location into perspective. I'm not sure what other attractions are of interest in the Surrey area.
There is, of course, Whalley World.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Hotel is fine if a) you need to be in that area or b) you need some cheap stay credits. Plats are treated ok, lounge is ok, bedrooms ok. Parking is free. Pain to get to/from YVR. I wouldnt stay there if visiting Vancouver for pleasure, enjoy the Westin Grande or Wall Centre, both very good hotels IMO.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
I just spent two nights here this week, and I thought the property was great (unless you need to be downtown). The parking is not free, but nominal ($5), and the Wireless Internet is reasonable ($10).

Always get upgraded to Club Floor (newly renovated), and get nice personalized card from GM with a small gift thanking me for staying.

And the best part is the price - much less than downtown (no $30 parking fee either). Best Starwood value in Vancouver.
Old May 20, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Delta Lifetime, United, Alaska Airlines, KLM, One Pass, Northwest
Great Hotel in the Suburbs

Originally Posted by nobody-elite
Sweet Willie.... FYI, Guildford, is in Surrey and not in Vancouver proper. It is quite a distance out of Vancouver. If at all possible, I would suggest STRONGLY to move to a Vancouver DOWNTOWN hotel.

I am not sure of how long you will be in town, and whether it is for business or pleasure, but I know that you will have a great deal more to choose from if you are in the city of Vancouver.

Also are you going to rent a car or depend on local transportation?

I live in Vancouver, it is a beautiful city and would gladly answer questions for you if you want to e-mail me.
Likely the best suburban hotel I have stayed at in years. If you have business in Burnaby, Port Coquitlam or Annacis Island this is the only hotel of any calibre in the area!
Old May 20, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Delta Lifetime, United, Alaska Airlines, KLM, One Pass, Northwest
Smile Great Hotel in Vancouver Area

My family had the opportunity to stay at the Sheraton Vancouver Guildford Hotel this weekend. The service was excellent. The bar staff even accommodated our group and put some volume behind the normal muted TV for the Hockey playoffs.
Our room was likely over 450 Sq. Ft. with fridge and microwave and was very comfortable for our entire family of 4. Near to a great mall and several arenas. Restaurant provided a great current selection of food offerings and even a vegetarian dish presented by the execuitve chef who hails from the Ritz Asia!
This is a recommend.
:-:
Old May 21, 2007, 12:28 am

I don't know anything about that hotel but I grew up in the Vancouver area so I can tell you about Surrey.

Surrey is a distant suburb of Vancouver well known for its high crime rate. There is an out of control drug problem there as well as out of control petty street crime. Surrey is the car theft capitol of Canada.

Because of Surrey's longstanding problems it has become the butt of many jokes.

Surrey is connected to the rest of Greater Vancouver by the Skytrain rapid transit system. The Skytrain allows quick and convenient access for criminals from Surrey to fan out over the rest of the Vancouver area and commit B & E's. For this reason people who live within a few blocks of Skytrain stations anywhere else in the Vancouver area are often victims of break-ins and theft from auto.

When I am in Vancouver I do not go anywhere near Surrey. If I did have to go to Surrey, I would go in daylight, stay in areas where a lot of people are around, and I would not bring my wife or family. Certainly I would not carry a camera, wear jewelry etc.

I would suggest you stay elsewhere even if you have already booked this hotel.
Old May 21, 2007, 2:29 am

Programs: AA GLD, AS MVP, DL, AC, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
I don't know anything about that hotel but I grew up in the Vancouver area so I can tell you about Surrey.

Surrey is a distant suburb of Vancouver well known for its high crime rate. There is an out of control drug problem there as well as out of control petty street crime. Surrey is the car theft capitol of Canada.

Because of Surrey's longstanding problems it has become the butt of many jokes.

Surrey is connected to the rest of Greater Vancouver by the Skytrain rapid transit system. The Skytrain allows quick and convenient access for criminals from Surrey to fan out over the rest of the Vancouver area and commit B & E's. For this reason people who live within a few blocks of Skytrain stations anywhere else in the Vancouver area are often victims of break-ins and theft from auto.

When I am in Vancouver I do not go anywhere near Surrey. If I did have to go to Surrey, I would go in daylight, stay in areas where a lot of people are around, and I would not bring my wife or family. Certainly I would not carry a camera, wear jewelry etc.

I would suggest you stay elsewhere even if you have already booked this hotel.
Whew!!! I quess I was lucky. I just drove through Surrey 6 hours ago and made it out alive and was not even carjacked.

While I dislike the sprawl of Surrey, some areas certainly are not nice and the politics of the city and school board are a stuck in the the 1950's or earlier, I think most peoples camera, jewelry and wifes will be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.