Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, NJ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, NJ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Arrow Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, NJ [Master Thread]

I drove past the Westin Governor Morris a few weeks ago and decided to drop in to see what the renovations looked like. The Lobby, restaurant and meeting spaces were all very nicely done. Based on this I stayed there last evening because I’m a bit short of stays this year and I was able to pre-book a $109 rate for a 525 sq ft “Premier Suite” with a 42 inch plasma TV. Some friends of mine from NYC joined me and also got a $109 confirmed in advance suite rate.

Unfortunately, the nice remodel of the public spaces does not carry into the rooms. We were given rooms 433 and 452. No further upgrades were available and apparently not given as we were told the next best room is the presidential suite… which they do not upgrade to. We stopped by my friends room first – 433. Before the remodel this type of room was a large open junior suite. It has now been divided into a 2 room suite with a cheap single width exterior mounted sliding door between the rooms (rather than a double wide pocket door or French doors – either of which is far nicer). The bathroom has been redone and has access from both the bedroom and entry area. This is an improvement. The wall mounted 42 inch plasma TV has ½ a dozen wires trailing out of it to an ugly black box that sits atop a large black piece of furniture in the living room. All in all the physical dimensions of the room are not too bad, but the fit and finish and décor are another story. With the exception of the green conserve placard in the bathroom there is absolutely no color whatsoever in the room. The walls are painted a mud / wood putty color… even the crown molding (ugh!). The window trim, blinds, ugly A/C units, and everything else except the ceiling are this color. All of the furniture is black… the floor standing light is black… even the lampshade. The rooms also use florescent lights which I dislike. The carpet is charcoal colored and had very poor fit and finish around the baseboards (also painted mud color).

My room was 452. It was a smaller room on the corner. It had the advantage of a separate shower, but it must have been a mere 2 ft wide. The living room was long and rectangular with mud colored everything and no pictures on any wall, one floor standing light, a big black TV armoire (no 42 inch plasma) a round table with 4 chairs and 2 other low backed uncomfortable arm chairs. So it was a dark gloomy room with 6 chairs, 1 light and a table in it. There was only about 2 ft between the bed and the dresser. This was a poorly designed room that was simply not tolerable and was a downgrade over what I had reserved. I went to the front desk and was given room 435 which was the mirror image of my friend’s room (plus some other oddities – my room had a complementary bottle of water, my friends did not. My room had a mini bar, my friends did not. My double pained windows were full of condensation making it difficult to see out, his were not.)

At this point we were disappointed with the remodel but had settled down and were getting ready to go out for dinner. It was at this point we discovered that the room’s double hung windows do not lock. It seems the windows are about ½ an inch too tall for the window space… you can’t get the latch mechanisms to line up. This was true for all but one window (a new one) in both of our rooms. My friends are from NYC… and they were not at all happy with the idea of not being able to lock the windows. My friend’s wife considered this a show stopper and she would not stay unless we moved to another room. Note: The 4th floor in the back of the property is actually only about ½ a floor above the ground… so a person could climb in the window. So… back to the front desk.

The front desk person called for a manager who agreed this was not a good situation. After a considerable delay we were shown 2 new rooms on the 5th floor. The first, Room 555 was a fairly spacious corner deluxe room (a downgrade from our suite). The bathroom however was microscopic. You had to close the door to use the sink. It too was monotone mud color. The old crappy non-lockable windows were absolutely filthy on the INSIDE of the double paining! Next we went to look at the other room. This was a large odd shaped room with tons of wasted space and just one small window in the corner (that also did not lock – but it was a few floors up). So we tried another room… 642. This room also had a microscopic bathroom… in fact there was not enough room for a bathtub, so it only had a shower. But the room was at least a reasonable layout. So we finally settled into 642 and 555 (both non suites). Due to this considerable delay we decided to eat at the Copland restaurant in the hotel.

The Copland was very good, but expensive. Entrees were in the high 20’s to mid 30’s with sides another $5 or $6 each. It would not be difficult to run up a $100 tab per person. It was a nice meal.

So… I don’t think I will be returning to this hotel. It is a shame because they really did a nice job on the public spaces and the staff were very accommodating.

Last edited by schriste; Apr 25, 2005 at 5:39 am
Old May 9, 2005, 12:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold
I have to disagree

I just stayed ten nights at the Westin Governor Morris. First, I'm really glad they changed the name...everyone in Morristown referred to it as the Governor Morris anyway.

I do agree that the public space remodel is very, very good. The lobby looks so much classier now. The restaurant (never very nice) that was directly in your eyesight as you came in has been relocated to your left as you came in. I don't know what used to be in that room as it looked too scary to go in before! Copeland is the name of the restaurant and it is much better. I did not eat anything other than breakfast at the hotel. I was pleased to see a lot of the same restaurant staff as were there in the years before the remodel.

I definitely think my room was much better than it had been in years past. The Heavenly Bed is the same, but the furniture is much nicer and the arrangement more functional. The closet is also better situated. I had the impression that everything about the room was new except the bathroom. The toilets (which have an odd flush mechanism) and the bathtubs are definitely left over from the previous incarnation of the hotel. But all the other fixtures are now Heavenly Bath...and I LOVE the double head shower! I do agree that there is not much in the way of decoration in the room but the new decor is rather Asian and minimalist so it seemed to suit.

The heating system seems much better than it was before. I think they have retrofitted it so they don't have to "turn on the air conditioning" or "turn on the heat". It looks like each room has their own unit now. I did hear that just after the hotel reopened there were several problems with the heating system and water - for a time there was no hot water! - but I didn't have any problems with this. I could never get the thermostat to report a room temp quite as cool as I requested, but it was within a degree or so.

The staff is very good. The bell staff almost immediately got to recognize me and always greeted me cheerfully and offered to assist with carrying my bags. The front desk staff, who made change for me almost every day, were always helpful and Lisa was exceptionally friendly. The restaurant staff were always very kind and after a few days brought me a pot of tea and skim milk as soon as I was seated for breakfast.

A friend who used to live in NJ also stayed at the hotel (only for three days) and she commented that she didn't know where they found the staff because they were certainly too friendly to be from NJ.

I got an unexpected treat today...when I checked my SPG account I received double Starpoints for my stay! It's explicitly credited as a bonus. That was a nice surprise.

The Westin will be my hotel of choice for my frequent trips to Morristown.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by schriste
my room had a complementary bottle of water, my friends did not. My room had a mini bar, my friends did not.
i hate inconsistencies in rooms that should have the same amenities (all SPG rooms should have a bottle of water, for example). i don't like having to play roulette when it comes to a bottle of water.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by ScarletHarlot

The Westin will be my hotel of choice for my frequent trips to Morristown.
Be sure to ask for room 452.. then you will agree with me!
Old May 10, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold
Schriste - oddly enough, I was in that same little end of the hall area on the fourth floor as you, and my room was just fine!
Old May 10, 2005, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ScarletHarlot
Schriste - oddly enough, I was in that same little end of the hall area on the fourth floor as you, and my room was just fine!

This is one of those hotels that really is crap shoot.

Rooms at this hotel really vary in size and shape, with some rooms having a lot of wasted space that is either "leftover," lacking in furniture in places that cry out for furniture or are just not well laid out. I've seen some rooms at this hotel that have very large foyers and closets (one with a walkin closet equal to a Manhattan bedroom), but within the same room a tiny bathroom that could have been expanded by reducing the foyer or closet space to no ill effect upon either.

One room, which number I do not recall, had only 1 small window for an outside wall that must have measured at least 20 feet in length. Not very good for introducing natural light. This room also had the huge walk in closet that could easily fit a full size bed.

As OP mentioned, some rooms seem to offer free bottled water, others do not--even when they are of identical room type!

Such inconsistencies makes for uncertain quality control.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Here's a short trip report of my own (brief, as I'm in the airport lounge about to head to LGW)...but I was very happy with my one night stay here. Got upgraded to the Presidential Suite (443, I think). Awesome room. Living room had a treadmill, 42+ inch Plasma TV, semi-circular couch, chair & leather ottoman. Next to the living room was a smaller living room with a small couch, two chairs & table. Massive bathroom had dual vanities, backlit anti-fogging round mirrors, large glassed in shower with dual showerhead, and oversized faux-antique kidney-shaped tub. Bedroom was also very nice, with one of the comfiest Heavenly beds I've slept in, with spacious work table and 32+ inch flat-screen (not Plasma or LCD) TV. Interior design reminded me of the W LA (Dark, Green-Grey wallpaper, dark wood furniture).

If I ever need to overnight near EWR again...this Hotel is getting my business. Staff was also exceptionally courteous & helpful, and lunch at Copeland's was good.

Now here's hoping for a similar upgrade at the Sheraton Grand in EDI tomorrow.
Old May 11, 2009, 5:43 pm

Trip Report Westin Governor Morris

I had a really good stay here this week so figured I would comment, since I have not seem a recent review here. I had a large room on the 5th floor that was ironically so large, I felt like I was too far from the TV when on the bed and ended up watching the TV from the chair. The bathroom was also large and water pressure/temperature were very nice.

Service was impeccable. Front desk staff and bell staff were knowledgeable and helpful. I ordered room service two nights in a row: it was very promptly delivered and the food was excellent. Even better, I wanted ice cream and was told on the first day that they'd had freezer problems and no ice cream available; the next day I asked again and was told the same thing, BUT, about 1/2 an hour after I placed my order service express called me to say they'd just gotten ice cream delivered. They brought some up as part of their "surprise and delight" program. I was VERY impressed.

Workout room(s) are small but met my needs. There are weights and machines on the fifth floor and cardio equipment on the sixth; these rooms are not connected and it took me a while to figure out that there was more equipment available on the other floor. The rooms were clean and well maintained.

I've stayed here before and really do like it. I have never been in one of the rooms people have mentioned as small or with a small bedroom, so perhaps I've been lucky. Overall, service is super, it's clean, and it's quiet.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, SPG Gold
Great Public Space, Rooms Starting to Tire

Stayed at the Governor Morris to close-out an additional night on the 'Stay 2 = 1 Weekend Night" promo.

I had stayed a few years ago for a wedding and remembered the hotel as having very nice public spaces with mediocre rooms . . . my memory was correct.

The lobby and restaurant (Copelands) are both very well decorated and have a very modern, up-to-date feel.

Drinks at Copeland were enjoyable, we did not dine-in. They have a large selection of martinis and scotches. Another party at the bar tried one of the exotic martinis and didn't enjoy it - - - the bartender quickly mixed her up a Cosmo without any questions and repeatedly asked if she was enjoying the new one. This should be standard practice but I've seen many a bar make an issue or charge for the 'replacement' drink.

Check-in was very efficient with our SPG participation acknowledged by the front-desk. In my on-line reservation, I had requested a king room, upper floor, away from mechanicals. Room 623 met those criteria perfectly. The room is on a floor designated for SPG.

The room looked fine upon entry but a closer examination revealed it was a little tired. Wall paper seams were splitting. Furniture has stains. Window louvers didn't close all the way.

The room was very clean with the exception of small spot of mold/mildew on the bathroom ceiling. Without a power exhaust fan, I'm sure this could be a problem in a lot of rooms.

I was surprised that the room did not have a flat-panel TV and the station/game we were watching in the bar was not available on the in-room service.

The room had acres of unoccupied space. A king-bed was tucked in the corner and we literally had 15 ft of open space to the bathroom. The space was large enough for a couple of chairs or a couch. Very odd.

I would recommend the hotel for family and friends. It will never be confused for a Westin flagship property but it is decent, especially for the area.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i hate inconsistencies in rooms that should have the same amenities (all SPG rooms should have a bottle of water, for example). i don't like having to play roulette when it comes to a bottle of water.
I stay there weekly and have noticed the same? There is ALWAYS water in the rooms, but at times, one of them will be "compliments of SPG" and sometimes both of them will say a $5 charge will be added to your room.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:08 pm

Westin Morristown NJ

I booked a room at the Westin Morristown, NJ for tomorrow evening. I called SPG gold to upgrade to a deluxe room for 1000 points. The customer service agent said no problem and asked If I would mind holding. I said no problem of course. After waiting on hold for 18 minutes the agent came back on and said she was very sorry, but there were no upgrades available. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Another 5 minutes on hold and I finally got a supervisor. Explained the unacceptable wait time only to be told no upgrades were available when I could see plenty of rooms in inventory online. Was put on another brief hold.

Supervisor came back on and told me I will be given a suite for 1,000 pts. I know this property does not get high marks, but a suite for $129 and 1,000 points is a good deal to me.

Props to the SPG supervisor for handling the situation properly!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PtsFreak
I booked a room at the Westin Morristown, NJ for tomorrow evening. I called SPG gold to upgrade to a deluxe room for 1000 points. The customer service agent said no problem and asked If I would mind holding. I said no problem of course. After waiting on hold for 18 minutes the agent came back on and said she was very sorry, but there were no upgrades available. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Another 5 minutes on hold and I finally got a supervisor. Explained the unacceptable wait time only to be told no upgrades were available when I could see plenty of rooms in inventory online. Was put on another brief hold.

Supervisor came back on and told me I will be given a suite for 1,000 pts. I know this property does not get high marks, but a suite for $129 and 1,000 points is a good deal to me.

Props to the SPG supervisor for handling the situation properly!
Ive had suites here and well I wanted to downgrade to a reg room, since it had a great view of the ac units on the roof.

this hotel is being renovated and its top floors are being worked on.

$129 isnt bad I had my suite for $79 and no extra pts as a Plat, it was old and in bad need of renovations. So dont get your hopes up for what your 1000 pts will buy you

the elevators take yrs and was told there isnt a stair case that can be used, I like the place and when they are done it will be even better, just didnt want you to open the door and say the 1000 pts was a Rip-off for a suite that looks like this

Welcome to FT and in the future please doa search and add your post to the Master Thread regarding that Hotel
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Six words: "Stay at the Parsippany Sheraton instead!!!!". The best customer service around and the corner deluxe rooms are really large, some with two queen beds and some with one king. Great views from most of those rooms.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, SPG-Plat100, Marriott-Plat
Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
Six words: "Stay at the Parsippany Sheraton instead!!!!". The best customer service around and the corner deluxe rooms are really large, some with two queen beds and some with one king. Great views from most of those rooms.
Trust me Sheraton is much better... I am making this statement after making more than 10 stays at each of them (forced to stay at westin due to FRN promo).. Views from every room are terrible at Westin.. Westin has only has an upgraded lobby, most of the rooms need remodeling.. Elevator suck at Westin, takes for ever... To add, Sheraton has a triple point bonus going on..
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:45 pm

Will do a search before posting in the future.

Too bad the time to cancel has already passed, but for $129 and 1000 points even a mediocre suite will be worth it (I hope). Judging from the room inventory it looks pretty empty tomorrow, so hopefully elevators will not be a problem. Guess I'll just close the blinds and hope for a comfy bed and clean room, even if it's dated.

Anyone know how the outdoor pool at this property is? I'll be getting in around 2pm and hope to take in some rays by the pool.

I need 8 more stays to hit Platinum, so I'll check out Parsippany in the next few weeks.

I'll also give a detailed update on the renovations when I get back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.