Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Review: Stay from Aug 13-16th

Recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights using 2 free nights and 1 night using 20K SPG. 2 Adults and 1 child. Were upgraded to a 4th floor 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms (Room 419 and 420). No terrace and no view to write home about, but the room was just fabulous and I had to take pictures. I was not asked for the platinum amenity at check in, so I called the front desk and asked for the fruit basket. Two hours later, no fruit basket so I had to call again. It arrived later while we were out to dinner.

Since these hotels in europe do not provide coffee makers (and we are tea drinkers), I was carrying my own tea bags (Tazo Chai). Regularly ordered hot water, cups, and creamer from the room service and they arrived in beautifully arranged carts and we enjoyed our own brand of tea several times during our stay. There is a grocery store nearby (less than two blocks) and I purchased some items from them to stock in our room (we had two mini bars in the room) for the breakfast as the breakfast rates (Euro 42) were just ridiculous at this hotel. The concierge gave a great recommendation for a Chinese restaurant nearby and we ended up eating there two out of 3 nights. I do not remember the name of the restaurant, but it was not the Mandarin whose billboard is visible just in front of the hotel.

We had a friend staying at this hotel just ahead of us (Aug 11 to 14th) and when we met them on August 13th, they complained that the rooms are not being made till late in the evening. We also experienced the same. I also recommend not booking taxi or transfers through the concierge desk or bell desk as they quote you expensive rates (and probably receive commissions in the process). There are plenty of taxis just outside the hotel to the left who will take you anywhere on meter.

One of the evening, we went to the indoor pool and it was closed due to some problems. Next day, the pool was open but the hot tub was not working. Overall, we were extremely pleased with the quality, service, and professionalism of the hotel and the staff.

Last edited by sjuhawk_jd; Aug 29, 2009 at 4:52 am Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:48 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I was looking for the good rate at Westin Excelsior Rome this June.
So far, FHR rate by AMEX was the best rate(cancelable/changable).
It was about 360 Euro a night and not cheap, however, breakfast for 2 and about $100 credit for food/drinks made the rate reasonable.
We booked three rooms and if they can upgrade all(according to the the benefit of FHR), 360 euro(plus tax?) is not bad at all.

I usually took advantage of Z3H rate, but our check in will be on Monday so I could not use it at this time.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I've never paid for a night at the Excelsior...always used points. But 360 euro sounds expensive to this mile and point hound. Don't you have any AMEX points you can transfer or Starwood points to use?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:12 am

Thumbs up

Hotel is now at 12000 starpoints a night for July. Just booked 2 nights at 24000 instead of the 40000 that was initally needed when booked last November.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 1:16 am

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
Originally Posted by ualstar
Hotel is now at 12000 starpoints a night for July. Just booked 2 nights at 24000 instead of the 40000 that was initally needed when booked last November.
Wow! When did this change? I was just looking at Rome hotels a couple of weeks ago and all three were cat 6. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:44 am

Thank you for posting this! I had a 6 night stay booked at 20k/night for the fall.^

Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:25 am

Yes there has been a downgrade of some of the Starwood hotels in Italy so I just rebooked:... finally something that didn't go up in price.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 5:03 am

This is an EXCELLENT deal IMO...

Cheers,
Old Apr 3, 2010, 9:59 am

Found this out through one of my fellow cruise critic travelers. Maybe I can use some of my saved starpoints for an instant award (breakfast?). Anybody know how many starpoints are needed for breakfast at the hotel or is there a reasonable place within walking distance? In addition, any recommendations of dinner restaurants in the area? Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Found this out through one of my fellow cruise critic travelers. Maybe I can use some of my saved starpoints for an instant award (breakfast?). Anybody know how many starpoints are needed for breakfast at the hotel or is there a reasonable place within walking distance? In addition, any recommendations of dinner restaurants in the area? Thanks!

2250 points per person and breakfast.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Aaarrrgghhhh! I had been waiting up to a month ago to see whether the Rome props would go down. Seeing as they all stayed as Cat 6, I booked my non-refundable tickets for somewhere else, instead.

Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Unusual that this is a Cat 5, while the Westin Excelsior Florence and Excelsior Naples are still Cat 6.

Almost makes me wish I was going there - I could do five nights at the Gritti Palace and five nights here for 128k points (if my math is right) in high season!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
2250 points per person and breakfast.
thank you for the info. I may consider this if unable to locate a close breakfast restaurant close by.
Old May 2, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL/GM, HH/no mo status, SPG/PLAT
Contact At Westin Excelsior

My wife and I are staying here in a few weeks for her 30th b-day. Does anyone have a current email contact for the hotel manager or concierge?

As it is not too late for me to change, does anyone think I made a mistake in choosing the Westin over the Eden, St. Regis or Hilton Cavalieri? This is our first trip to Rome and based on everything I have read, this hotel is the best value at 12k *points a night.

I'm worried about taking the shuttle from the Cavalieri and that my platinum status will essentially not be recognized at the St. Regis or Eden.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 2, 2010, 3:46 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Well, I have also chosen the Excelsior for the family's first trip to Rome (over Christmas.) I had originally chosen the St. Regis for our 5 nights here, but when the Excelsior dropped, I just couldn't resist. So I changed our reservations. While I would suspect the St. Regis may be a bit more "luxurious", based on what I have read here, the Excelsior isn't far behind. That makes it a very good deal as a Cat. 5. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.