Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bonaventure Los Angeles [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Bonaventure Los Angeles [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 8:45 pm

Free breakfast promo, scheduled to end on 30 April, is "on" again. Perhaps it was "on" last week too; the guy who checked me in a week ago was clearly clueless.
Old May 30, 2009, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, Alaska MVP Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond
Thumbs down Very Poor Westin

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a couple nights recently while attending a conference downtown. We stayed at a few Starwood hotels in the LA area over a week to maximize our free weekend nights

We arrived early, and our room was not ready (understandable, especially with the huge conference going-on) However, the front-desk agent was extremely unfriendly and went on to inform us that because we had booked a "conference" rate, we were not eligible for any SPG gold benefits (such as a room upgrade). Not sure if this is true, but it's the first I've ever heard of something like this.

We were given a room that was directly next to a set of glass elevators, so you could see/hear them zipping by all day and night. As others have mentioned the rooms are VERY tired...the carpets were covered in stains, the furniture was in rough shape and the television was very dated. No mini-bar, but an empty bar fridge (which we actually prefer). At least they had the heavenly bed as well!

The hotel itself is huge, and the common areas are also very dated looking. I wanted to check my email one morning, and was directed to the "business center" ...two computers in the lobby, with internet access for a rate of about $8 per 15 minutes. Yikes...

Definitely would not recommend. The Sheraton down the street is better (I'll right a short review of that one as well).
Old May 30, 2009, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, US CP, HH Diamond, MR Gold,BW Diamond
Originally Posted by sbrower
I have been in the Redondo as an upgrade. But is that the biggest one? I am thinking of one that occupies about 1/3 of a tower, with a 10 person dining room table, then a real bar, then a big living room, then a bedroom (all downstairs) and then, up a little staircase, you have (in your suite) 2, 2 bedroom suites. I think it was about 7 bathrooms, big enough for most families.
The Redondo is actually not the largest. The Huntington Suite is the larger and takes up almost one level in one tower and then the Bunker Hill suites are the Bi-Level suites.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Checked in Sunday morning and was upgraded to a Tower Suite (Junior Suite), Green Square Tower. Room has not been renovated. Heavenly bed, not. Went to the Lounge on 34th Floor, again, poor service and not so tasty drinks. Parked at WTC for $9.90. Breakfast was not included nor offered.

Internet was free for Plat (ask at front desk for code).

Not impressed with hotel, but at $99 per night (and to get a stay credit for the stay 2 get 1 Free promo), it's a pretty good deal. Would love to be upgraded to Redondo.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:41 pm

I'm THE regular at the Bonaventure (see somewhere up this thread for details, if you care). The free breakfast is restricted to Government and Corporate rates, I believe. (AAA, for instance, isn't covered, even for Plats.) The Junior Suite upgrade/un-remodeled room is pretty standard, and I like those rooms just fine. I've never been to the lounge (teetotaler), so can't comment there.

Last week, for one night (special occasion) I got upgraded to 3260. It's a multi-room, two-level (with spiral staircase) setup (name, if it has one, unknown). You could get lost in there. So I can't say anything bad about the hotel for a while. (...not that I ever really do - and I'm obviously voting with my pocketbook, well over 100 nights a year.)
Old Jul 27, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Westin Bonaventure is giving away 50 free rooms each week. Thru August 31check on Mondays 9am LA time to win a free room on Twitter or thru website.

My blog post gives details:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...room-giveaway/

Westin Bonaventure website with promo offer link:
http://www.thebonaventure.com/give_away/
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I was looking at room rates at the Westin B and came across this room:

Large Parlor, Small Dining Table. Approx 380 Sq Ft, Sofa Bed Reserve With Traditional Room For 1 Bedroom Suite

Parlor , Non-smoking , Pvt Ctyrd W/plunge Pool/sala , Panoramic View , Dining Area

O M G. This Westin has suites with private plunge pool and sala? Is this a mistake?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
That one is a surprise to me. I thought I had stayed in every specialty suite at the Bonaventure, and I have never seen a private pool.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
That one is a surprise to me. I thought I had stayed in every specialty suite at the Bonaventure, and I have never seen a private pool.
My room's got a private pool. I fill it up with water every evening!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I was looking at room rates at the Westin B and came across this room:

Large Parlor, Small Dining Table. Approx 380 Sq Ft, Sofa Bed Reserve With Traditional Room For 1 Bedroom Suite

Parlor , Non-smoking , Pvt Ctyrd W/plunge Pool/sala , Panoramic View , Dining Area

O M G. This Westin has suites with private plunge pool and sala? Is this a mistake?
The Bonaventure has a special place in my heart. It is where I had my first Starwood stay after earning elite status 10 years ago, and I remember being upgraded to a suite. That is when my SPG addition began. I have since been back several times over the years, but I have never noticed that room type before when making a reservation.

If 365RoadWarrior hasn't seen or heard of the room before, then I have to imagine that it must be a typo. But if it exists, it would be pretty sweet suite...

On a side note, I found this deal on AmEx's site -- Buy one entrée, get second entrée free at LA Prime.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question Am I reaching for the stars?

The hotel is massive but dated.

Based on previous reviews I knew not to expect too much. I booking here thinking the rooms would be somewhat decent. The suites in the Green Tower are so deeply unattractive, it's impossible to be assigned a lovely king suite.

I thought I would be assigned a room that was clean and bright, instead I was assigned dirty, tired and paunchy! Am I reaching for the stars? No not really! The carpet looked like something out of a crime scene.

Currently this property, has no style or sense of decor. The good news is that some of the king rooms in the tower, where platinum member are upgraded, are renovated and look like updated Westin properties in other cities.

The pool is nice, the gym and running track are hideous.

This Westin should be avoided until all rooms are updated. Its in the same league as the Four Points Miami Beach and you all know how I fee about that property.

Full review to come later.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Nov 28, 2009 at 7:43 am
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
WOW-did you get an old room!

Cheap elite that is an ollllllld room!The newer(not the newest)are much nicer than that.
This place is VERY good to plat's IME so putting a blanket warning like this is doing a disservice to a hotel that at least tries to do well.
It is undergoing a renovation.And the rates reflect that.

BTW-Hope you got in on the $99 TZ breakfast special ^
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:12 pm

that looks about right, cheap elite.
last time i was there during the summer, i was upgraded to what looks like three rooms combined together (the three pie-slice shaped normal rooms combined into a suite). The room was so old, carpets stained, the TV (i'm not the one that likes to complain but i'm going to exaggerate and say it was from the 60's), tired wallpaper, and such. The bed was comfortable and "heavenly" bed-like. The "dining" room table had no chairs, the bar was empty with minifridge not plugged in (i.e. smells), and decorations that put this hotel back a couple decades. Oh well...life goes on and went to the Sheraton Los Angeles the next few nights.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Cheap elite that is an ollllllld room!The newer(not the newest)are much nicer than that.
This place is VERY good to plat's IME so putting a blanket warning like this is doing a disservice to a hotel that at least tries to do well.
It is undergoing a renovation.And the rates reflect that.

BTW-Hope you got in on the $99 TZ breakfast special ^
The room was from the late 80's early 90's. The service was nice, but the hotels physical plant itself is not on par with other Westin Properties. Knowing the types of people/plats that read my reviews, I would advise against staying at the Bonaventure at this moment. Suite renovations should start in December. If you want a King room in the Platinum Tower than book and specifically request an ungraded King room.

Originally Posted by myperks
that looks about right, cheap elite.
last time i was there during the summer, i was upgraded to what looks like three rooms combined together (the three pie-slice shaped normal rooms combined into a suite). The room was so old, carpets stained, the TV (i'm not the one that likes to complain but i'm going to exaggerate and say it was from the 60's), tired wallpaper, and such. The bed was comfortable and "heavenly" bed-like. The "dining" room table had no chairs, the bar was empty with minifridge not plugged in (i.e. smells), and decorations that put this hotel back a couple decades. Oh well...life goes on and went to the Sheraton Los Angeles the next few nights.
The first room I was assigned, had two different types of peach wallpaper, with was torn, the carpet was stained so bad I didn't even want to be in the room. There were actually black stains on the carpet. and there was a "moldy" smell. I have asthma and could handle that room. It was taken out of service. It was that bad.

Old Nov 28, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
My last four stays have all been in reno'd rooms.3 have been "two pieces of pie"suites and one a king room(that was a stay for a buck) room.I am very pleased with this property.I have gotten a suite with the old decor shown in the photo one time-but that was a huge suite in a non SPG guest tower-it was huge and was great for a party.
The room in the photo is actually a non reno'd room as cheep elite mentioned-last done in the 80's. All the suites in the none SPG towers look like this.
Also as mentioned-they are doing further remodling including new bedding/furniture/AV equipment.

A friend of mine has had problems being placed in rooms with the old decor also-so yours is not a one off experience Cheap elite.

Also make sure you get and keep your folio as they have had trouble posting stays/bonus points to SPG.
i will be staying there next weekend and will report back to this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.