Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Review of Renaissance Tampa Hotel International Plaza

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum

Recently stayed there for three nights.

This relatively new Ren property is located in the parking lot of the huge International Plaza mall (Neimans, Nordstrom, etc.), but so close to the airport that it could have been called the Airport Renaissance. Check-in was friendly, but sort of amateurish (example; after I handed my credit card to the clerk, who looked up at my wife and said, "I presume this is Mrs. ohmark". (What if it wasn't?) Placed on the "executive" (i.e. concierge) floor, but request, as a plat, for upgrade to better view, room, or suite was denied. As C-lounge was closed all weekend, it seemed there was little, if any, benefit to Exec. floor. (Actually the C-Lounge was opened on Sunday for a hotel housekeeping staff meeting, resulting in numerous cleaning carts on the floor during the meeting.)

Later, after check-in, I stopped at the front desk and asked whether there was any benefit to being placed on the Exec floor since the lounge was closed during our stay. The clerk said that as a plat/gold elite I should have been given coupons at check-in for breakfast in the hotel restaurant. I was told I could choose the buffet or receive $9 towards a menu breakfast. At breakfast the next day I chose the buffet and received a check that seemed much higher than I expected. Was told by the waitress that the coupon was only good for continental buffet, that the full buffet was $14.95, and that the elite breakfast coupon was only worth $7 towards breakfast. I questioned this and the waitress sent over the restaurant manager who immediately partially fixed the problem by allowing the $9 credit. All he said was "I know what the problem is, this has happened before." He handled the situation nicely. I was, thus, given the wrong info by the front desk about the buffet, but the restaurant staff was so pleasant about fixing the problem that I thanked them, and did not complain further. The concierge lounge did open for breakfast the last morning (Monday) of our stay. The breakfast set out was quite disappointing and reminded me of what one sees at a Fairfield. It was almost all carbs, including frozen bagels, mediocre muffins, mediocre pastry, and run-of-the-mill cereal. The only protein consisted of cold hard-boiled eggs and a few slices of ordinary cheese. No cold-cuts, no eggs (other than hard-boiled), no meat of any kind. I took the last few slices of cheese. When I returned to the lounge about an hour later to get some coffee, neither the cheese nor the rest of the buffet had been replenished. All in all, if you are gold or plat, you're better off on the weekends with a breakfast coupon, than during the week with the below average C-lounge vittles.

The hotel room itself was beautifully decorated in the type of individual decor that I am coming to expect and appreciate at new Rens. The room had the old/new beds and a flat screen but not flat panel television. The bathroom was adequately sized and nicely done. Toiletries consisted of small bottles of the "Bio" brand. (It's interesting that some Rens provide these small bottles, and others provide bottles about twice that size.) The lobby was large and interestingly decorated with flair. Plates of various types of olives and breadsticks were placed in the lobby each afternoon for the guests. The concierge was quite pleasant and helpful with directions to various Tampa Bay attractions. We purchased Busch Gardens tickets at the front desk (rather than at the gate) and benefitted as we avoided the lines at the park and received a three day pass for the same price as a one day pass at the gate.

The hotel is arranged around an outdoor courtyard. The available views are negligible. Looking out the windows you will either see the courtyard and the hotel rooms on the other side of the courtyard, the roofs of the shopping mall, parts of the airport, or downtown Tampa in the far distance. Valet parking is available at the hotel at a price, or you can choose to park in the mall parking lot and walk less than a hundred yards. The mall parking lot is quite reasonable (free).

As noted, the property is in the mall parking lot, and located about 100 yards from the entrance to Neiman-Marcus. Also adjoining the hotel is an interesting dining/entertainment area that I thought of as sort of a food court for adults. It consists of an outdoor plaza featuring numerous interesting restaurants including Cheesecake Factory, Champps, an Italian restaurant, an Asian restaurant, several bars with outdoor cafes, a night club, a gelato store, and numerous other restaurants including a N.Y. style deli (Toojays), arranged around a nicely decorated plaza which encourages strolling. On Friday night the area was alive with people, music, and buzz. Nicely done.

All in all, I would recommend the hotel for business stays or for visits to family or local attractions. But it is not a place to get away for a "resort type" stay. For that you need to go across the bay to the superb Vinoy.

Last edited by ohmark; Apr 8, 2005 at 4:51 pm
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I agree...

I stayed at this location for a quick 3 night business trip last november and could not agree more. I was given a room on the Executive floor as the OP did, and the lounge was not anything great as I remember. I spent many nights in the Tampa Waterside for another business trip and in comparison the Ren was just OK... The views at the Waterside (being Plat I was given a room with a balcony overlooking the water and the pier that Carnival Cruise Lines sailed out of) could not be beat, and after the 3rd day of looking at a parking lot out of my window of the Ren I was ready to get home.

The staff in the Waterside Concierge lounge could not be beat and the food was top notch (individual pastries, cakes, cheesecakes in the evening with a great breakfast buffet in the morning) and I would highly recommend this property for leisure and business stays if it is available.

--DD

Last edited by Dudleydog73; Apr 9, 2005 at 9:30 pm
Old Oct 7, 2005, 8:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
I stayed here this past week on a $93 government rate for a basic room. I was upgraded to the Executive floor, which is the 8th floor. I was automatically given this, no begging or flashing of Plat card was required. From my room I had a great view of the airport and the planes taking off. Granted the view wasn't spectacular but how often do you just stare out the window anyway?

For my arrival gift I ordered a drink and the cheese and cracker tray and asked that it be delivered right away. I went to the room to drop off my briefcase and then went to the car to get my suitcase. By the time I got back to the room the tray was just being delivered, so less then 10 minutes after ordering it. Having never ordered a tray before I have no idea how it compares to others, but to me it was better then the points. I parked in the mall parking lot and although not close to the building, it wasn't bad for free.

The lounge is open for snacks at 5:30 until 7:30. I can't recall exactly what they offered but it was enough to make a meal out of. Dessert starts at 7:30 and was cookies and some kind of weird jello like tasting thing. Breakfast starts at 6 and it must have changed since the OP was there. It consisted of (again, my memory fails me so not everything is listed) several different types of bread and bagels, hard boiled eggs, 3 different kinds of sliced cheese, 3 different kinds of lunch meat, boxed cereal, pastry...possibly other things. The attendants were very friendly but not overbearingly so.

Given the rate and the location close to the job site, I will definitely be back.
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
A certain major airline base their crew at this new hotel now and having stayed there a few weeks ago, I agree - it's great.

Walk out of the hotel, turn right and walk up the stairs. Turn right again and you'll get to a great selection of pubs, clubs and restaurants. Turn left and you're in to one of the best mall-based food-courts I've come across.

The mall itself is a bit poor. Not very many excellent shops in there but if you have a specific requirement (namely designer labels and jewellery), you're in the right place.

I found the front desk staff to be excellent, friendly and pretty on-the-ball. There were one or two problems but this could happen anywhere.

All in all, excellent.

P.S. I suggest dinner in Champs Sports Bar (Out of the hotel, up the stairs to the right and walk straight ahead. It's on the right hand side)
Old Oct 9, 2005, 11:42 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
The mall itself is a bit poor. Not very many excellent shops in there but if you have a specific requirement (namely designer labels and jewellery), you're in the right place.
The mall's a bit poor? Unless you're expecting a Harrod's everywhere, I would disagree. International Plaza has Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, several rather nice regional dept. stores, and 200 quality shops (designer brands and others).

Also, if you're looking for somewhere to dine in the mall, I would suggest the Capital Grille (outstanding steaks) and TooJay's Deli (N.Y.-style deli with quality sandwiches).
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:07 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
The mall's a bit poor? Unless you're expecting a Harrod's everywhere, I would disagree. International Plaza has Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, several rather nice regional dept. stores, and 200 quality shops (designer brands and others).

Also, if you're looking for somewhere to dine in the mall, I would suggest the Capital Grille (outstanding steaks) and TooJay's Deli (N.Y.-style deli with quality sandwiches).
No offense, but actually that mall is rather poor in my opinion. Its a rather low-end Nordstrom and the other stores are not very different.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by FLOIR
The lounge Breakfast starts at 6 and it must have changed since the OP was there. It consisted of (again, my memory fails me so not everything is listed) several different types of bread and bagels, hard boiled eggs, 3 different kinds of sliced cheese, 3 different kinds of lunch meat, boxed cereal, pastry...possibly other things. .
Maybe my complaints about the breakfast on the comment card I left at the hotel did some good. For those of us who don't, it's as important to point out problems in the comment cards as it is to post here. Socrates says they actually do some good.

As to the mall, it's just semantics folks. Some would say if you call a mall with a Neimans and a Nordstroms poor, you don't leave much room to describe a mall with KMart and JC Penney as anchors. On the other hand, what's in between the anchors here is not great.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Update?

Does anyone have any more recent experience, particularly about the CL?
thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 3:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by tfmpa
Does anyone have any more recent experience, particularly about the CL?
thanks.
Staying her in Dec--is the CL open on the weekends
Old Nov 17, 2007, 9:34 am
pgh

Programs: Marriott Plat, CO Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Last Year

Originally Posted by indiahoosier
Staying her in Dec--is the CL open on the weekends
Toward the end of summer, early fall, I don't remember which, I went back to the Ren from the Waterside to see if they had improved from the year before.

I like the location, with all of the dining and the mall, but it just pales next to the Waterside IMHO. The CL was listed as S-PM through F-AM though I was there on weekdays.

I have made the Waterside my Tampa home (they always give me a corner suite) with an occassional escape over to the Vinoy when I am there over a weekend.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Club Lounge is fine: open Sunday night thru Friday morning. Breakfast is fine, desserts are fine.. and service is always excellent. My only complaint about this property is the "high-speed" internet connection in the room - at night, it's dreadfully slow (worse than T-Mobile starbucks).. in the morning, it is slightly better but still sub-par.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
I have heard that since last time I was there (2 years ago?), they have changed the self-parking situation somehow. Not sure exactly how. Anyone know what the self-parking in the mall parking lot is like now?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I stayed there for one night last month; at checkin, I was given a keycard which allowed access to a gated lot right down from the main entrance. There was a $15 deposit for this card charged to my room, which was refunded when I returned it. There is an additional entrance to the hotel from this parking lot, so you don't need to walk back up to the main entrance.

Originally Posted by FLOIR
I have heard that since last time I was there (2 years ago?), they have changed the self-parking situation somehow. Not sure exactly how. Anyone know what the self-parking in the mall parking lot is like now?
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by jkm024
.... access to a gated lot right down from the main entrance. There is an additional entrance to the hotel from this parking lot.......
Would this happen to be the parking lot that is right on the other side of the swimming pool?? I always noticed the lot was basically empty and wondered why they didn't use it.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Yes, it leads into their "conference / exhibition" entrance.

I been there 3x in the last 2 weeks for business. I just don't see the appeal being wedged between an airport and a shopping mall especially at $300+ / night normal rates. I've sure they are heavily discounted for the conferences as is my corporate discount rate. The seem to do a booming business in conferences.

It is very pleasant inside the lobby though, ambiance wise.

CL is only so-so, IMO, a lot of olives and pickled vegetables where are nice on the first day but I grow sick of them every single day.

The GM Theresa is nice and gave me a few tips on how to get a CL room (despite being PLT). Basically, it boils down to removing all preferences from your Marriott profile, including bedding, otherwise they'll block and pre stock your room in advance and won't want to move you. Includes towel & pillow & refrigerator preferences. If needed, just call down from them while there.

Didn't work the following stay a few days later as I'm sure I was lied to by the FD chimp telling me he was sold out on the CL level on a quiet Sunday night.

And the doors are the self slamming type which makes no sense. given the ambiance I stayed at the TPA Airport Marriott the following night on the CL floor and had a very pleasant night, a much bigger rooms and these beautiful doors that gentle close with a soft click.

The Tampa Waterside is a much better bet if you have to be downtown otherwise its a bit of a pain getting in/out to where I have to go (North Tampa).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.