Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Dubai: which Starwood property? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai: which Starwood property? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: spg platinum, a-club gold, MPC silver
about dubai spg hotels' gyms

ill be having two stopovers in dubai and am decideing between spg hotels. actually i have my own work-out plan, so in order to stick to it, i have to find a hotel with decent bench, freebells equipments etc.

could anyone whos been to fourpoints, sheratons dubai,tell me more on this gym thing?

many thanks
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:21 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Dubai: are any of the Starwoods worth staying at?

I generally avoid travel to the Middle East...I prefer to just travel over that part of the world....no particular reason at all....there is nothing to read into that.

I have to perform and teach a procedure at a conference there....and it's in the middle of my sons school holiday....so, was wondering if any of the Starwoods are worth considering for a stay, or should we go for one of those other, grotesque, huge, gaudy hotels instead? Does anyone have an opinion?

Also, the decent Starwoods seem not to offer starpoints. Do they at least offer stay credits?....or offer Plat benefits at all?

TIA
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:36 pm

I'd do as Cheap Elite says and search...

But just to let you know - had a great stay the Sheraton Dubai Creek - they do transfers to/from DXB. Towers rooms and lounge were great. Nice offerings for evening and breakfast. Alcohol was available in the evening as well.

Starpoints and stay credit given.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
As advised check-out some of the threads but I can say that after staying at a number of Starwood properties in Dubai the Grosvernor House is the best with the Westin a very very close second. Actually I'm at the GH right now as one of my honeymoon hotels.

The only problem with the GH and Westin is that they do not participate in the SPG programme so no points, no night credits etc. However, when checking in at GH the lovely lady did tell me that they are currently going through the process of joining the SPG program ^. She couldn't tell me how long it would take but definitely said they would be joing ^^. Maybe one of our Lurkers can confirm this?

The Four Point Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road is also very nice. It's a new building with modern decor and large rooms (good suites) and well situated to most things in the city.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:51 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Have stayed at the Four Points Sheraton Bur Dubai on bank street. It is an OK hotel in an area of nightclubs in hotels. Cheap about 90 bucks in the summer.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 3:23 am

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by schley
Have stayed at the Four Points Sheraton Bur Dubai on bank street. It is an OK hotel in an area of nightclubs in hotels. Cheap about 90 bucks in the summer.
In other words, in the Dubai context. 4Ps Bur Dubai is almost within ground zero of one of the main red light districts of Dubai
Old Aug 1, 2009, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm in dubai at least twice a month for work....my number 1 pick amongst starwood hotels would be the four point sheraton sheikh zayed road....its in a great location & i have a 100% record of being upgraded to a suite...must have stayed here atleast 50 times....i've also stayed at the sheraton dubai creek (pretty decent), sheraton deira (again pretty decent, although now beginning to show its age), four points by sheraton bur dubai (ok hotel, would only stay here again is nothing else was available), sheraton jumeirah (probably the best & most expensive out of all the starwood properties that offer stay credit & points) & dar al sondos hotel apartments (would avoid this unless you are looking for an extremely inexpensive stay)....
Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
The Sheraton Dubai Creek is pretty good.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:12 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Actually I'm at the GH right now as one of my honeymoon hotels.
Congratulations! Enjoy the rest of your honeymoon!

Many thanks all for the feedback....I have had a look through the master thread, however, I haven't really been able to gauge whether or not the better Starwood's compare to the Jumeirah type properties (not that I have any experience of them......I also hear the Burj al Arab is ghastly).

Pricewise, four of the most expensive Starwoods are:
Le Royal Meridien>The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi>Le Meridien Mina Seyahi>Grosvenor House.
Would this also give an indication of the quality and desirability of each of the properties?

I will have the kids with me, so would prefer somewhere my son could enjoy himself all day, not getting bored, preferably with a good kids club. I have noted that some of the hotels list kids clubs, but are any of them any good?

Again, TIA.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Shantanu
Any more opinions?
my top 2 picks are:

four point sheraton sheikh zayed road....great location, good pricing, good service, very upgrade friendly....but keep in mind, this is more on the lines of a business hotel....

sheraton jumeirah....if you want to stay at a good hotel & earn stay credit & points....this would be your most expensive hotel participating in the spg program....
Old Sep 5, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
I've got a two day stay later this week in Dubai.

Enjoyed my stay at Sheraton Dubai Creek Hotel in the past.

Curious if the Sheraton Beach Hotel could be a better choice given it is Ramadan.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:27 pm
PPM

Sheraton Dubai

Can anyone tell me about the Sheraton Dubai? My husband and I are traveling to Dubai in November, and want to know about rooms, service, meals, etc.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PPM
Can anyone tell me about the Sheraton Dubai? My husband and I are traveling to Dubai in November, and want to know about rooms, service, meals, etc.
Which one? There are two Sheratons in Dubai -- the Sheraton Deira and the Sheraton Dubai Creek. There are multiple threads on them.

I stayed at the Dubai Creek and liked it. Rooms have good views of the creek and surrounding area, there are multiple restaurants, etc. Can't speak to the Sheraton Deira.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Best SPG Property In Dubai

Any suggestions on where to stay? What's close to it all? Not interested in spending $700/night (everything looks reasonably priced). Just something comparable to an average Westin or good Le Meridien.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Grosvenor House is the best.

Sheraton Jumeirah beach is also in the Marina and is half the price if you are travelling this summer. They have a decent club lounge with free internet and breakfast if you have status.

None of the other beach properties participate in SPG.

Al Sandos Suites is an all suite property. Close to the airport and right above a metro stop and across the street from City Centre Shopping mall. Prety nice property.

Sheraton Creek. Most like your better than average Sheraton/Westin. On the creek but forget about walking anywhere from here in the summer. You will pass out from the heat before you reach anything of interest.

Four Points Sheikh Zayed road is new and within a few hundred meters of a metro station. Nice roof top pool with a view of the Burj Khalifa and other skyscrapers along Sheikh Zayed road. Not a bad choice.

Dar Al Sandos Apartments. Basic hotel with a nice club lounge. The staff have been very nice to me. Close to the Al Gubaiba bus station and eventually will be near the metro when the green line opens next year. Carrefour, Spinneys, and some smaller grocery stores within walking distance. Has washing machine and kitchenette in the room.

Le Meridien Dubai, Fairview, and Residence Deira also do not participate in SPG. Fairview is best avoided unless they evenutally bribe you with Starpoints and Residence Deira is very basic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.