Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Originally Posted by uanj
I just stayed there last week for three nights, nice stay. Only main entrance was open to check temperatures (though no one was checking) and get your free hand sanitizer. Got a nice upgrade to a full suite (no idea what the name for it is), usually just get the junior suite which is a large room with extra furniture and kind of cramped. I was quite happy with what I got. They have downgraded the toiletries to the crappy regular Sheraton shampoo and soap, not the British brand they used to offer in the suites.

Lounge was not serving breakfast the week I was there. Afternoon tea was a bit sparse. And no diet sodas for whatever reason. Staff were excellent. Dinner was very much like it used to be, solid offerings and enough to choose from. They had a sparkling wine and plenty of other adult beverages but we had work to do so did not partake. Still no diet sodas.

Breakfast was served in the lobby coffee shop, it was OK. Not quite as nice as before but certainly not bad. Ordered tea three times before it came. The ice water never came all three days that I ordered it. Day 2 I figured where I could get it but you have to use a coffee cup. Saturday at 9 am half of everything was gone, and it had been hard to get a table so I think their weekend business is picking up. Good for them!

Breakfast felt like a new hotel working out the kinks, everyone was nice but forgot half the stuff you asked for. You reminded them and away they went, alas, to get distracted by somebody else and not return,

But I really, really enjoyed my stay there and am itching to get back!
....wo yao bing shway
hth
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by uanj
Saturday at 9 am half of everything was gone, and it had been hard to get a table so I think their weekend business is picking up. Good for them!
With foreign travelers banned from Taiwan, all of the hotels are now primarily serving Taiwanese weekend leisure travelers. Quite a number of Marriott properties are very full on the weekends, and I (a gold member) have been denied an upgrade twice recently (at other local Marriott properties), both times on Saturday.

I think this will get worse in the summer since the government has approved some local tourism subsidies.
unclepants likes this.

Last edited by claimui; Jun 9, 2020 at 11:29 pm
Old Oct 22, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Update on lounge policy for family planning to stay at this hotel. Starting in Nov. children less than 12 years old will be denied lounge entry.

On a related note: Sheraton Hsinchu denies anybody less than 18 years of age lounge entry (but their executive lounge has been closed due to COVID19)
bocastephen likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Update on lounge policy for family planning to stay at this hotel. Starting in Nov. children less than 12 years old will be denied lounge entry.

On a related note: Sheraton Hsinchu denies anybody less than 18 years of age lounge entry (but their executive lounge has been closed due to COVID19)
To be a little more clear, Sheraton Hsinchu's lounge is closed, but they are still serving happy hour in their lobby lounge, and children are allowed at that time. Same with Sheraton Taoyuan (plus afternoon tea) and Sheraton Taitung (but no hot food at happy hour).

So Sheraton Taipei is going against the trend, since family travel is keeping most Taiwan hotels afloat during this time. But their lounge has been very, very busy this year with steeply discount rates -- they're basically selling dinner/breakfast packages with a room thrown in.

Update: Sheraton Hsinchu's lounge has reportedly reopened as of February 2021, for adults only.

Last edited by claimui; Feb 22, 2021 at 6:14 am
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:13 am

As a heads up, the restaurants at Sheraton Taipei no longer provide any discounts to Marriott Bonvoy members as of Feb 4, 2021. They also ended discounts with several local credit cards earlier this year, most notably American Express. Presumably they already have sufficient business with their in-house dining club memberships (which they promoted heavily last year).
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by claimui
As a heads up, the restaurants at Sheraton Taipei no longer provide any discounts to Marriott Bonvoy members as of Feb 4, 2021. They also ended discounts with several local credit cards earlier this year, most notably American Express. Presumably they already have sufficient business with their in-house dining club memberships (which they promoted heavily last year).
This reminds me that last Chinese New Years' I've hosted two tables for my family at their Chinese Restaurant. And when I would pay with my membership, the manager came out and said "if you dine with more than 20 people than there's no discount". Guess that was foreshadowing what's going to happen.

I don't mind the discount dining nor not having children in lounge. But these cost-cutting measures are telling me Sheraton Taipei is in name only and do no value Bonvoy elite members. Other benefits cut are just around the corner. Time to reinvest my time with Marriott Taipei and have them as my go-to property in Taipei.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
This reminds me that last Chinese New Years' I've hosted two tables for my family at their Chinese Restaurant. And when I would pay with my membership, the manager came out and said "if you dine with more than 20 people than there's no discount". Guess that was foreshadowing what's going to happen.
Ouch.

David
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:14 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Anyone stayed there recently? What's the upgrade situation like for Plat members?
Old Oct 25, 2022, 9:28 am

Just finished a 5-night stay from 10/20-10/25/22 using points. As a Titainum Elite, I don't think I had any noticeable upgrade other than high floor. Room is same as other posted. Selected the breakfast over 1000 points as the breakfast buffet is a much better option compared to breakfast at the lounge. I did arrive Taipei early and was granted early check in around 10am although it was not the room that I requested, but happy that I was able to get a room on 16th floor.

Given that Taipei has pretty much lifted the restriction down to 0 + 7 (translates to self test and self quarantine if positive), the hotel is packed with locals. I think hotel also had some promotions to encourage folks stay at the location. Breakfast during the weekend was broken up into 50-60 minutes block between 6-10am. With that said, Taiwan still heavily observe mask rules and workers are constantly clean and sanitize the stations. Overall, I was happy with variety of breakfast selections although by 5 day, it was becoming a routine with same food.

Lounge is open from breakfast all the way to 9pm with happy hour between 5-8pm. To manage the over crowd in lounge, Sheraton has implemented similar limited time block by asking people to sign up when they would like to attend the happy hour. With that said, on a number of occasions, I was able to simply show up at the beginning of the each time block and offered access. In general, there are enough selections between hot food and salad/sushi along with desserts to make a decent meal. There are self serving wine/spirits as well as local beers to complement the meals.

I visited gym couple of times using the treadmill to burn off the excess from the breakfast buffet as well as evening happy hour meals.

Complimentary waters are in the room and are restocked each day (4 by nespresso machine and 2 by the bathroom sink) including two small can of soda/sports drink stocked in the fridge.

On my day of checkout, I was informed that lounge was closed for several days for deep cleaning. Elite members having access to lounge are offered the breakfast in the restaurant along with 3K points each day.

Overall, reasonable stay, but be prepared with hotel guests populated with locals as hotel industry is trying to recover post covid restrictions.

l8r

-doc
Old Oct 25, 2022, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by doctor3

but be prepared with hotel guests populated with locals as hotel industry is trying to recover post covid restrictions.

-doc
that’s a feature not a bug considering who was filling this hotel before and major sanitation issues at the breakfast buffet resulting from that.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Just finished a 5-night stay from 10/20-10/25/22 using points. As a Titainum Elite, I don't think I had any noticeable upgrade other than high floor. Room is same as other posted. Selected the breakfast over 1000 points as the breakfast buffet is a much better option compared to breakfast at the lounge. I did arrive Taipei early and was granted early check in around 10am although it was not the room that I requested, but happy that I was able to get a room on 16th floor.

Given that Taipei has pretty much lifted the restriction down to 0 + 7 (translates to self test and self quarantine if positive), the hotel is packed with locals. I think hotel also had some promotions to encourage folks stay at the location. Breakfast during the weekend was broken up into 50-60 minutes block between 6-10am. With that said, Taiwan still heavily observe mask rules and workers are constantly clean and sanitize the stations. Overall, I was happy with variety of breakfast selections although by 5 day, it was becoming a routine with same food.

Lounge is open from breakfast all the way to 9pm with happy hour between 5-8pm. To manage the over crowd in lounge, Sheraton has implemented similar limited time block by asking people to sign up when they would like to attend the happy hour. With that said, on a number of occasions, I was able to simply show up at the beginning of the each time block and offered access. In general, there are enough selections between hot food and salad/sushi along with desserts to make a decent meal. There are self serving wine/spirits as well as local beers to complement the meals.

I visited gym couple of times using the treadmill to burn off the excess from the breakfast buffet as well as evening happy hour meals.

Complimentary waters are in the room and are restocked each day (4 by nespresso machine and 2 by the bathroom sink) including two small can of soda/sports drink stocked in the fridge.

On my day of checkout, I was informed that lounge was closed for several days for deep cleaning. Elite members having access to lounge are offered the breakfast in the restaurant along with 3K points each day.

Overall, reasonable stay, but be prepared with hotel guests populated with locals as hotel industry is trying to recover post covid restrictions.

l8r

-doc
Thank you for the detailed report. I am looking forward to returning to Sheraton Taipei for the first time in almost 3 years.
Could you elaborate a little about "Room is same as other posted."? Is it about the same as pre-pandemic, or are there something notable?
Also, are lounge breakfast similar to pre-pandemic?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 1:05 pm

l8r

-doc
Their website currently mentioned that there's exterior construction going on through the end of the year. Did you notice it and did it cause any issues during your stay?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by smes
Anyone stayed there recently? What's the upgrade situation like for Plat members?
Two reservations this week, LTT, both did not clear and upgrades were returned to me. However, checking in around 6 pm I was given a junior suite both times.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Thank you for the detailed report. I am looking forward to returning to Sheraton Taipei for the first time in almost 3 years.
Could you elaborate a little about "Room is same as other posted."? Is it about the same as pre-pandemic, or are there something notable?
Also, are lounge breakfast similar to pre-pandemic?
Club Lounge breakfast foods are similar to pre-pandemic, but no smoked salmon, only smoked mackerel. Eggs cooked to order. Congee was quite nice. Happy Hour requires an advance reservation to be sure you get in, The Happy Hour food remains among the best, possiblly the best for any Sheraton in Asia.

Pandemic restrictions are still in place, so you must wear a mask unless seated at a table eating or drinking. You need a mask to go to the buffet and they ask you to sanitize your hands and then grab plastic gloves to get your food.

Daily housekeeping.

Originally Posted by Clemson
Their website currently mentioned that there's exterior construction going on through the end of the year. Did you notice it and did it cause any issues during your stay?
I hadn't noticed it before so I checked this evening. There is some narrow scaffolding running down the outside walls periodically but does not block any windows that I could tell. The scaffolding is the same color as the walls so I had not noticed it before. No issues with it for me.

A good thing is that they have now opened all the entrances to the hotel, the back door near the smoking area, the side door near the Club Lounge elevators and, of course, the front door. Now that everyone is not required to use the main front door it does not get jammed packed like a few months ago.

Saw a certain cargo airline's crew checking in and out. Two weeks ago they would have been in a quarantine hotel. So definitely feeling much more like the pre-pandimc days
YariGuy and PanAmWT like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent updates? Primarily interested in upgrade possibility as Titanium, lounge quality, details on closest metro lines.
Is it an easy ride to/from TPE airport?
Of all Marriott Properties in Taipei, which would you consider has best value combination of good lounge/price/location?
Considering a stay mid April.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fmkgb; Mar 27, 2023 at 5:54 pm
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I stayed in Dec / January. No upgrade for Titanium. Lounge was by reservation only, and limited to 1-2 hours depending on the day. Reservations opened up at 3pm on a Google doc. Lounge food and drink was adequate (with spirits). Breakfast buffet, while extensive, was mediocre in quality (for example, bacon smelled rancid). Location is good, close to MRT and Sungshan airport, but this obviously depends on where you want to hang out.

Would be curious to know if the lounge is still on a reservation system, as that was a major turnoff.

I prefer the Courtyard Downtown, but the last I checked the lounge was completely closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.