Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Lodge at Sonoma Resort, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: platbrownguy
Hotel website: The Lodge at Sonoma Renaissance Resort & Spa

Resort fee includes (hat tip to sg59) includes: internet, daily hike, yoga, 2hr free bicycle rental, winetasting and minibus to Sonoma square. resort fee also covers daily Sangria (if you like that), two bottles of water daily, a single use $10 discount voucher that you can use at The Bean and bottle or The Spa. There is daily yoga and a local hike, as platinum we could rent a bike free for two hours. Reception have free coffee, mini muffins and croissants about 8.30 am, and fruit and cookies in the afternoon about 4pm, before wine tasting.

Breakfast: option of 1,000 points or breakfast. Breakfast allowance is $30 pp (max 2). (Update 5/11/2019: YMMV on breakfast; there is a meager "continental buffet" and depending on the wait staff you may be permitted to order eggs and sides for free as well.)
Print Wikipost

The Lodge at Sonoma Resort, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Weekday rates are significantly lower than weekends (for obvious reasons) at this property.

The bar at Carneros was featured on Drinking Made Easy on HDNet back in September, 2011. We were staying at the hotel at the time and it was funny to watch the show from our room

The cottage rooms are cozy and quiet. The electronically controlled gas fireplace is kind of cool, too.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
The electronically controlled gas fireplace is kind of cool, too.
I love this property, but wish those fireplaces had a setting other than "off" or "blast furnace".
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Lodge at Sonoma Resort Fee

I am reasonably sure that when I made a reservation there several months ago for next year this was not in place. But I was checking my reservations tonight and there it was, both on the booking page and also my confirmation (unfortunately, I had not yet printed out my confirmation).

The reason I think it was not there before, is that I recall reading that the shuttle to the Plaza was "free", and it is now one of the perks associated with the Resort Fee (along with internet, wine tasting, and a "special gift", whatever that might be).

If I did indeed make the reservation before the RF implementation (and I'm not sure how I can prove I did), am I still obligated to pay it? I know sometimes you are grandfathered in at whatever rate you booked. I will be calling the hotel but just wanted to have an awareness of what my rights are when I do call.

We do NOT use internet, and we'll be drinking enough wine on our own up there.

It is $20/day so not a big deal, BUT I just don't like things being snuck in on me.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if you go through the Vegas and Hawaii threads you'll read that several guests have argued their way out of the resort fee there so no harm, no foul..........

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I am reasonably sure that when I made a reservation there several months ago for next year this was not in place. But I was checking my reservations tonight and there it was, both on the booking page and also my confirmation (unfortunately, I had not yet printed out my confirmation).

The reason I think it was not there before, is that I recall reading that the shuttle to the Plaza was "free", and it is now one of the perks associated with the Resort Fee (along with internet, wine tasting, and a "special gift", whatever that might be).

If I did indeed make the reservation before the RF implementation (and I'm not sure how I can prove I did), am I still obligated to pay it? I know sometimes you are grandfathered in at whatever rate you booked. I will be calling the hotel but just wanted to have an awareness of what my rights are when I do call.

We do NOT use internet, and we'll be drinking enough wine on our own up there.

It is $20/day so not a big deal, BUT I just don't like things being snuck in on me.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
There is also a new $15 parking fee along with the new $20 resort fee. Parking used to be free.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:29 am

I did call and was told we'd be grandfathered in with no parking fee and no resort fee. Got the name of the front desk person I spoke with so we'll see.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Stayed here over Christmas. Enjoyed the hotel in general but was slightly disappointed in the "cottages". They are basically, IMHO, upgraded RI style rooms with 6 units per building. I was expecting a little more privacy.

The "Resort Fee" per the card I was given at check-in covers:
  • Welcome bottle of wine upon arrival
  • In-room bottled water replenished daily
  • Complimentary local calls
  • Complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel *Does not apply to meeting space
  • Resort transportation to and from Sonoma Plaza
  • Overnight self-parking
  • Resort activities, including nature hikes, yoga, nightly wine tasting and Sommelier wine education
  • Access to poolside fitness center
  • Complimentary appetizer or dessert with a purchase at Bean & Bottle
  • $5.00 off bicycle rental
  • $10.00 off bottle purchase at Bean & Bottle or $10.00 off any spa treatment

The transportation to Sonoma Plaza is not scheduled but available on request.

The complimentary appetizer is not one of the ones listed on the menu. It's a specialty item made to satisfy the list. We chose the dessert option and were given 4 Truffles.

Overall I enjoyed the hotel and would not hesitate to return.^

Last edited by jrsinpdx; Jan 2, 2014 at 10:54 am
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:37 pm

jrsinpdx, how was the area in the winter - really quiet?

We're due to go in February, and I've got a new twist: currently booked at the Ren for a cottage at $237 (senior rate). Iffy whether we'll be charged the resort fee since I made the res a long time ago. But my old confirm does say I'll be responsible for any changes in taxes or fees, so somehow I don't think I'll be grandfathered in, despite what I was told.

But whether we do or not, another inn popped up with a much better rate and better location (one block from the square) and great reviews - The Inn at Sonoma, a Four Sisters Inn.

They're having a winter special for $155/night, and it includes breakfast (which the Ren does not), wine & H'd's in the evening, free parking, no resort fee.

Cons: Smaller rooms, no Marriott points.

But price and walking distance to all the restaurants (no wait for a shuttle) are very enticing.

I know this is the Marriott board so just thinking out loud.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Hotel was pretty full because it was Christmas. The area around the hotel doesn't really offer much. No restaurants or shops. We walked to & from the Plaza area. It's only about 1.3 miles. If you want to be near any activity I would stay elsewhere.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Just spent the past weekend at this property using points. This was our second stay there.

Upgraded to a top floor cottage. No big changes from our previous stay. Fireplace was a little flaky to light but was nice. The hotel was busy with holiday vacationers. The biggest change I noticed was in the food and beverage. They appear to have stepped up the quality of food and wine in both the bar and restaurant. The sommelier and chef were present for the afternoon complimentary wine tasting. I was impressed by the quality and breadth of their wine selections. Granted, you're not going to find Opus One and Cellar 23 at the free tasting but the wines were good medium quality ones. The food in the bar and restaurant was good and reasonably priced for the selections.

An earlier poster compared the cottages to an RI. I respectfully beg to differ. They're much better than that. I found them to be comfortable, quiet and well laid out. My wife enjoyed taking a bubble bath in the tub. Its not the level of luxury of some properties but it works out.

The location is convenient by car to both central Sonoma and Napa.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:47 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
..another inn popped up with a much better rate and better location (one block from the square) and great reviews - The Inn at Sonoma, a Four Sisters Inn.

But price and walking distance to all the restaurants (no wait for a shuttle) are very enticing.
I've stayed at the Ren several times. It's pretty soulless right around it. If I was visiting sans car, I'd definitely prefer staying somewhere within easy walking distance of the central square. There's a lot of great restaurants, some interesting sightseeing, as well as shopping on the square or within a couple blocks of it. You'll have a completely different experience of Sonoma. If you rent a car, it's easy enough to get around and I wouldn't feel as strongly about the location of the hotel.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:25 am

Yes we will have a car for driving around the countryside, but coming back from dinner I'd like to be close enough to walk (although the Ren does have the shuttle).

Even comparing the Inn at Sonoma to a regular Ren room (not a cottage), it is MUCH less expensive for our dates. Hate to make it about money but the IatS is not exactly a dump, gets great reviews. I think we're going with that.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott PP & LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Saturday Reservations Unavailable Starting in May 2014

Every Saturday starting from May going through the next several months is not available for points or cash. Any idea what's going on? Is it possible they are not sold out and it's some kind of inventory blocking?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:59 pm

Did you try a dummy 2 or 3 night booking?

May be a minimum stay during this period.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
The location is convenient by car to both central Sonoma and Napa.
I dunno if I'd say convenient to Napa. I think it depends on how much boozing one plans to do. If you plan to do a good day of it, it's a good 45 minutes to get to/from Napa. The one thing to keep in mind is if you plan on doing a nice dinner somewhere. Most of the hot spots are going to be in Napa. Finishing up your last tasting at 4-5pm leaves some down time for say, an 8pm dinner rezo. It doesn't leave enough time to travel back to Sonoma and then back to Napa to make it in time for dinner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.