Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email Addresses (per Post 425)

Print Wikipost

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
On our trip we booked a car pickup and drop off just for convenience sake and it was a stress free ride in a nice E Class. If you are coming in after a long trip from the US that might be the way to go.

We are going back to the area this year but staying at the Domes Autograph Collection property instead of the Blue Palace to try something different. Not sure if we want to get a car this go around or not.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by david55
I am sure they do...but you might want to consider renting a car. Eastern Crete is pretty spectacular and driving is easy. There are some great sites to see and things to do.
From what I've seen, car rentals cost ~$400 USD... Is it still worth it? Am I missing something?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:31 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Hmmm. First time reading this and a little disappointed. Do you happen to know if the Maisonette Suite pools are heated? TIA 🙏

Originally Posted by MikeyBee
I stayed here recently... it's a nice property, with pluses and minuses.

I am SPG Plat and booked the base room ("Superior Bungalow") on points, hoping for an SNA to a "Maisonette Duplex with pool" to clear. 5 days out they were still selling the upgraded category room online, but it was not available in the SNA pool, so no SNA. Booh.

At check-in I was informed the property was "fully booked". They were still selling "Island Luxury Suites" online, but these are at least one category above the Plat upgrade pool. I tried a polite DYKWIA but didn't get anywhere. Maybe I should have tried to negotiate a paid upgrade to this level. So we got what we "paid" for - which while a little disappointing, sometimes happens...

To their credit, there was a lovely and generous welcome gift in the room, possibly in lieu of the upgrade.

The rooms are modern and clean, bathrooms look relatively recently renovated. Room styles and locations vary widely. Few rooms will maintain the sun on your terrace or pool past lunchtime. The private pools in the original part of the hotel are all, I believe, unheated, and are quite "refreshing". The infinity pools are separated by low walls and while private to you, do not have any real privacy. I saw only a couple of people brave a dip the whole time we were there...

Rooms nearer the road, restaurants, or funicular, may be overlooked, some seriously. I would be quite disappointed if I was paying several hundred euro a night and had funicular users gawping into my pool and room every 3 minutes. Some rooms also overlook the upper communal pool and bar area. Some of the "spectacular sea views" are somewhat blocked by buildings in front. The "new wing" has heated pools apparently. Oh, and the description of many rooms as "bungalows" is not true - most are two storey buildings.

The staff are generally super-friendly, and try hard. Greece is the home of so many warm and friendly people anyway...

Breakfast becomes a zoo later on, especially if the terrace is out of action due to wind or rain. There is a strange "reserved" section at the far end of the terrace for the luxury villa and grand villa guests, that is is particularly far from the buffet... The buffet itself is expansive, and includes local dishes. While sparkling wine (not champagne) is a nice addition, it was quite rough... the rose was slightly better.

Other than breakfast we didn't eat in the hotel (vacation budget didn't stretch to it) but food reviews from others were mixed. Prices were universally expensive - e.g. the "Cretan night" was 70 EUR/head + wine. Walk 10 mins into Plaka for great food at half of that or less. There's also room in the minibar fridge for your own goodies from town to keep the bar bill down.

Your fellow guests will be mostly package tour couples and families, from the UK, France, Germany, a surprising number from Russia, with some Americans kicking around too. European school holidays will bring families, outside that it will be mostly more senior couples.

Ultimately the "package holiday" atmosphere and approach is possibly the main downside, especially if you have Starwood status. The management seem to be happier to take the tour operator dollar, than to really want to belong to the Starwood chain. Searching online, tour operators seem to be able to sell higher category rooms more cheaply than they can be bought directly (when bought as a flight+hotel package). I know why this happens (tour operators block-booking or guaranteeing revenue), it just sticks in the throat a little if you're a *wood loyalist.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by frequentlyflying
From what I've seen, car rentals cost ~$400 USD... Is it still worth it? Am I missing something?
Totally still worth it. We always rent from a local company. They meet you at the port of entry and the rate includes insurance. Try a place like AutoRentals Crete - Economy Car Hire Services all Over Crete
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by frequentlyflying
Seems a Little bit expensive for me, try broakers. But even if itīs 400 (which time) I think itīs without alternatives.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as I know pools at Maisonette Suites are not heated.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by offerendum
Seems a Little bit expensive for me, try broakers. But even if itīs 400 (which time) I think itīs without alternatives.
I'm not sure how long that is for or what car class. We have a stay coming up next month and found the rate with Hertz through the airline ( Aegean) was better than we were able to get directly with Hertz using our existing discount code ( AAA/CAA, United etc). It doesn't seem that it will credit any points and there was no Gold Canopy etc but then I don't think Hetz in Greece does anyway.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fizzer
I'm not sure how long that is for or what car class. We have a stay coming up next month and found the rate with Hertz through the airline ( Aegean) was better than we were able to get directly with Hertz using our existing discount code ( AAA/CAA, United etc). It doesn't seem that it will credit any points and there was no Gold Canopy etc but then I don't think Hetz in Greece does anyway.
Look at your dates and as I said try also broakers. I used billiger-Mietwagen, but there are others.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Look at your dates and as I said try also broakers. I used billiger-Mietwagen, but there are others.
Es tut mir leid. I quoted you rather than poster ( frequentlyflying) was trying to respond to, was he/she was talking about a 400 Euro fee.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:01 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
As far as I know pools at Maisonette Suites are not heated.

Thanks so much. Once again, Flyertalk comes through for us. This is a really special trip and while we typically use points (and SNAs) on our International trips we decided to splurge at this hotel to guarantee a room type we would be happy with. For some reason I hadn't fully researched the pool situation and only looked at photos of the Maisonette Suites which looked great for us. But in October a freezing plunge pool would be a total waste, so yesterday I switched to one of their new Island Suites (they have 7) which does have a heated pool. The pool is larger (and new) and the room comes with VIP amenities. The difference in daily rate is worth it to us since BP is toward the end of our trip and we were planning to relax and use the pool. If I had waited until closer to our trip I doubt there would have been any Island Suites left. Thanks to this thread we avoided a "fail"

I will post a review when we return.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damon88
Thanks so much. Once again, Flyertalk comes through for us. This is a really special trip and while we typically use points (and SNAs) on our International trips we decided to splurge at this hotel to guarantee a room type we would be happy with. For some reason I hadn't fully researched the pool situation and only looked at photos of the Maisonette Suites which looked great for us. But in October a freezing plunge pool would be a total waste, so yesterday I switched to one of their new Island Suites (they have 7) which does have a heated pool. The pool is larger (and new) and the room comes with VIP amenities. The difference in daily rate is worth it to us since BP is toward the end of our trip and we were planning to relax and use the pool. If I had waited until closer to our trip I doubt there would have been any Island Suites left. Thanks to this thread we avoided a "fail"

Good decision. Stayed in September with 35 degree or so and found our non-heated pool quite cold. Also I think the bathrooms at te Island Suites look much nicer.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by damon88

As others have stated before the food at the resort is just okay and expensive. Walk into Plaka ( the small village just down the road) and try one of the many tavernas that line the waterside. Most of them are pretty good and authentic.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others have stated before the food at the resort is just okay and expensive. Walk into Plaka ( the small village just down the road) and try one of the many tavernas that line the waterside. Most of them are pretty good and authentic.
+ 1, only one tavern is a tourist-trap (I didnīt eat there but it was quite obvious).
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Stayed for 5 nights last October(?). We liked the hotel. We had rental car (we almost ALWAYS have a rental car), so we went into the towns nearby for almost every meal (except the excellent breakfast which was included). On our last night we discovered the Japanese restaurant on property in the "other" building, which we really enjoyed. The pools by the room were, in my opinion, way too cold to enjoy.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:04 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

I saw that in the thread. Flyertalk really is invaluable.

If any recent visitors have any other tips they would be greatly appreciated. This will be our very first trip to Greece.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.