Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin vs. Sheraton vs Four Points at LAX 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin vs. Sheraton vs Four Points at LAX 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I should also note that the Sheraton Gateway, like the 4 Points, the Renaissance, the Marriott and the Embassy Suites, is within walking distance to the Budget car rental site, although it is not across the street like the others I have noted above. Rather, it is a short 10 minute walk from the hotel.

I believe the Westin LAX is quite far from Budget, and am not sure if it is near any other car rental site. In addition, I do not know if their shuttle will drop you off at a car rental site. Perhaps someone can chime in with an answer to this question?
I always stay at the Westin, it is right next door a car rental place but as I never rent a car I don't remember the name. It is one of the lesser known, don't quote me maybe its a Thrifty.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
I believe it's a Payless or Thrifty car rental. The Westin has an on-site car rental desk. I don't remember if it's Avis, Hertz or Enterprise. You might want to call ahead and find out. The car rental desk is located just to the left of the main check-in desk. Gold and Plats have their own check-in lounge to the right of the lobby as you enter the hotel.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I always stay at the Westin, it is right next door a car rental place but as I never rent a car I don't remember the name. It is one of the lesser known, don't quote me maybe its a Thrifty.
The Westin is adjacent to Thrifty. I rent there often, with Blue Chip it's always a quick in-and-out.

Next to Thrifty is Fox/Payless, which is fine if you want a cheap (and maybe dirty) car and have time to waste. Fox does have a good stock of Prius/Civic hybrids with the CA carpool stickers; I've rented those when I have a lengthy 405 South commute.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
BTW Sheraton LAX should have somebody to proof read their bar menu:

Kettle-One
Johnny Walker
Guines
Stella Artios etc
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by socalplat
... The Westin has an on-site car rental desk. I don't remember if it's Avis, Hertz or Enterprise. You might want to call ahead and find out. The car rental desk is located just to the left of the main check-in desk...
I'm pretty sure it's Enterprise, but this is going from memory.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
LAX Gateway Platinum Amenity

Does anyone know the recent Platinum Amenities offered @ the LAX Gateway?
Old Jun 1, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Unfortunately, I did not ask when I stayed there last week.
I always take points, though.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Westin LAX

I stayed at the Westin LAX last week after staying away for over a year. Plat/Gold check in area was roped off at 8:30 PM on a Thursday night, supposedly the FD CSR was taking a break.

I was preassigned a two-room suite at the end of a hall way on the 10th FL. I asked about beakfast coupon, how some people reported getting breakfast coupons. The FD CSR said it's all dependent on the CSR, and of course she did not offer me any, she didn't feel generous towards me.

I did receive a plate of fruits and a large glass bottle of Acqua Panna in the room, which was the first time I've ever gotten anything like it at the Westin LAX over many years.^

I commented during check in that the Club Lounge on the 12th FL had basically nothing. The CSR mentioned that the hotel management wants to start offering food like a real lounge, but they do not have Starwood corporate approval. The lounge now has free WiFi in addition to the two PC's.

This one experience is better than my previous experiences at this hotel. If the price is right and I can count a decent upgrade, then I would definitely return.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by CIT85
I stayed at the Westin LAX last week after staying away for over a year.....I commented during check in that the Club Lounge on the 12th FL had basically nothing. The CSR mentioned that the hotel management wants to start offering food like a real lounge, but they do not have Starwood corporate approval. ...

Oh Starwood Lurker?! Can Starwood hop on this pronto?

Seriously though, what type of "approval" is needed from Starwood to offer the same lounge amenities as the LAX Gateway Sheraton? Do you happen to know William?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:31 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by LurkerNoMore
...Seriously though, what type of "approval" is needed from Starwood to offer the same lounge amenities as the LAX Gateway Sheraton? Do you happen to know William?
Regrettably, I don't have a clue, but I doubt that it would ever exactly match those at a Sheraton-branded hotel. It would probably be more in line with what a Westin Executive Level Lounge is rather than a Sheraton Club Level Lounge.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Oh Starwood Lurker?! Can Starwood hop on this pronto?

Seriously though, what type of "approval" is needed from Starwood to offer the same lounge amenities as the LAX Gateway Sheraton? Do you happen to know William?
I thought that the Westin LAX is owned by Starwood and that's why the hotel management cannot implement this type of change without corporate approval. Whereas, Sheraton LAX Gateway is independently owned and then operated by Strawood, thus they can do what they want within guidelines.

Very few Westins in the US have lounges, whereas, all the International Westins that I have been to have lounges, some are great.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
I thought that the Westin LAX is owned by Starwood and that's why the hotel management cannot implement this type of change without corporate approval. Whereas, Sheraton LAX Gateway is independently owned and then operated by Strawood, thus they can do what they want within guidelines.
Neither appears to be corporate-owned. The only LA hotel that is owned by Starwood is the W Westwood.
http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...ty_april08.pdf
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:33 pm

Does anyone know the recent Platinum Amenities offered @ the LAX Gateway?
I've stayed at this property 1-2 times yearly during the past 5 years, the last being in January, and the ammenities have been consistent. In fact, I find them far more consistent than any other hotel I have stayed at repetitively. I always have been recognized as a Platinum and offered the choice of ammenities (I always take the points, so I never look beyond the first line). I always get a suite, and get admission to the SPG lounge on the top floor which opens at 6 AM. I always get so much bottled water that I can float out the front door of the property, and I have always have been thanked by the management for staying with them as well as with Starwood. I give this hotel an A Plus for how they have reconized me and my wife. I can't remember a Starwood property that follows through as well as this property over time, and the night desk clerk now has started recognizing me and my routine.

Now that I commented on their follow through, I suspect that I will get no ammenties on my next stay.

I made the choice to choose this hotel over the Westin perhaps 5 years ago after reading the reviews on this board, and I have not been disappointed.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
I've stayed at this property 1-2 times yearly during the past 5 years, the last being in January, and the ammenities have been consistent. In fact, I find them far more consistent than any other hotel I have stayed at repetitively. I always have been recognized as a Platinum and offered the choice of ammenities (I always take the points, so I never look beyond the first line). I always get a suite, and get admission to the SPG lounge on the top floor which opens at 6 AM. I always get so much bottled water that I can float out the front door of the property, and I have always have been thanked by the management for staying with them as well as with Starwood. I give this hotel an A Plus for how they have reconized me and my wife. I can't remember a Starwood property that follows through as well as this property over time, and the night desk clerk now has started recognizing me and my routine.

Now that I commented on their follow through, I suspect that I will get no ammenties on my next stay.

I made the choice to choose this hotel over the Westin perhaps 5 years ago after reading the reviews on this board, and I have not been disappointed.

I will agree with everything you said other than the bottled water. Did you ask for extras at the lounge?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Great Club lounge? I don't think so.

Although the breakfast was decent, after hours was terrible. Checked into the hotel this past Friday around 8PM. Entered the Club around 8:30PM (I was told is open 24/7) to use the free Wifi and get some munchies and a drink. There was NOTHING in the Club except a pot of hot water. No sodas, no nibble food (chips, nuts, SOMETHING!), no coffee, not even some ice water! In addition, there is a large flat screen with no way of changing the channels or even turn it off. When I called the front desk, I was asked if I wanted an engineer to come up to the lounge. An engineer? How about a remote control?

I was upgraded to a normal suite. I was pleased to fine four large bottles of water in the room. Pleased, that is, until I read the card on the bottles which said the charge would be $4.50 per bottle.

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
With about 15 stays/yr. in the LAX area, I've come to prefer the Sheraton Gateway for these reasons:
1) Free street overnight parking behind (north of) the hotel almost every night.
2) Most frequent Plat. recognition to one of the many corner suites. My last stay, the staff was deeply embarassed when no upgrades were available (hotel was full with spillover conventions/displaced pax) so offered free full bkfst and club lounge access. Found the 9th fl. redone room to be much better than the Hilton.
3) Great club lounge for breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres.
4) Nice pool and fitness complex.
5) Sweet Sleeper Bed almost as good as Heavenly Bed.
6) Breakfast buffet reasonably priced (if you're not comped) and quality and staff great, unlike the experience of a disappointed guest, posting above.
7) Seems quieter from airlplane noise than the Westin LAX.

It all depends on what services/facitilites work for you. For me, the best pkg. is at the Gateway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.