Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
Titanium - Going for 3D/2N Sunday-Tuesday just before Thanksgiving with 17 yo daughter (just me and her). Not going to rent a car - flying in/out DCA. We will go to Newseum (before it closes permanently) and Holocaust Museum. Trying to book a Congress or FBI tour though our Rep as well. We will also head up to Bethesda to meet family for dinner on Sunday and/or Monday night. Marquis, Metro Center, Renaissance Downtown, Westin City Center are all the same number of points (65k total for 2 nights). Leaning toward Metro Center for location, but we don't mind a nice walk to get to some of the sights. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Not a fan of Metro Center. I just didn't like the "vibe" there. I have stayed at the Marquis a *LOT*. I happen to like the lounge, some do not. If you're into a lounge, and you're there for the appetizers, the Reni is better. If you're there for the desserts, the Marquis is better. Breakfast is similar. The lounge at the Marquis is more of a place you would just sit around at and watch TV I think.

If you're there for the hotel itself, the Reni is a little tired, in need of an update. But by no means is it a terrible place.

I have never stayed at the Westin, so I can't help you there.

As for a Metro stop, the Metro Center, obviously, is right there, although, if coming from DCA you'd have to switch lines in Chinatown to the Red line. If you went to the Reni, you can get off in Chinatown and walk 3 blocks (that's what I do), if going to the Marquis, you can get off at Chinatown and walk another block, or stay on the yellow and get off at Mt. Vernon, which is two blocks from the Marquis. The Metro is your friend, in DC.

Or, uber all over the place. :-)

All of this is just my opinion, of course.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
Marquis, Metro Center, Renaissance Downtown, Westin City Center are all the same number of points (65k total for 2 nights). Leaning toward Metro Center for location, but we don't mind a nice walk to get to some of the sights.
Marquis or Renaissance. Let's not overthink this. They're nicer hotels.

The location is in the noise: beyond the Mall stuff, "the sights" in D.C. need to include a walk through Logan Circle and up 14th to U St. at the very least, add in Shaw and east down FL Ave to Union Market if it were up to me (some will still think that this is "adventurous", *eyeroll*). So some things will be closer and some not, but you're going to want to explore in all directions.

Plus, Uber is cheap and plentiful in DC, or you can tourist it up and be some of those people on the obnoxious (but admittedly efficient) electric scooters.
pjs and platbrownguy like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Any updated stays/reviews on the W, status of the renovation?
Reno ended a few months ago, they had a "reveal party" in July, I was out of town but saw pics and it looked fresh. I walk by the place pretty regularly between the office & late night HH at the Hamilton across the street. Haven't done a staycation here in a year or two but will probably check it out again before too long.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Reno ended a few months ago, they had a "reveal party" in July, I was out of town but saw pics and it looked fresh. I walk by the place pretty regularly between the office & late night HH at the Hamilton across the street. Haven't done a staycation here in a year or two but will probably check it out again before too long.
thanks for the feedback
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
Trying to book a Congress or FBI tour though our Rep as well.
Not sure about an FBI tour but your chances of getting a congressional tour are basically zero, these fill up months in advance.

As for the hotels, I'd pick either the Ren or Marquis of the ones you listed, and definitely no reason to rent a car. If you can swing it, I like the JW and Mayflower as well.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:58 am
pjs

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Not sure about an FBI tour but your chances of getting a congressional tour are basically zero, these fill up months in advance.

As for the hotels, I'd pick either the Ren or Marquis of the ones you listed, and definitely no reason to rent a car. If you can swing it, I like the JW and Mayflower as well.
Thanks - as usual in DC, it's definitely not what you know, but who you know. My friend's son works for a member of Congress so we're hooked up. I actually had the wrong weekend when I was looking at availability. I was looking on the app at 11/16-19 but I meant to look for 11/23-26. Everything is dirt cheap right before Thanksgiving so I ended up booking the Marriott Georgetown for around $100/night as it's close enough to the red line (for Bethesda) and the airport line. Plus daughter wants to have another look at Georgetown U area while we're there so it's a quick uber/long walk away.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by pjs
Thanks - as usual in DC, it's definitely not what you know, but who you know. My friend's son works for a member of Congress so we're hooked up. I actually had the wrong weekend when I was looking at availability. I was looking on the app at 11/16-19 but I meant to look for 11/23-26. Everything is dirt cheap right before Thanksgiving so I ended up booking the Marriott Georgetown for around $100/night as it's close enough to the red line (for Bethesda) and the airport line. Plus daughter wants to have another look at Georgetown U area while we're there so it's a quick uber/long walk away.
Just remember that Marriott "Georgetown" is not Georgetown.

David
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
Everything is dirt cheap right before Thanksgiving so I ended up booking the Marriott Georgetown for around $100/night as it's close enough to the red line (for Bethesda) and the airport line. Plus daughter wants to have another look at Georgetown U area while we're there so it's a quick uber/long walk away.
Yep, no better time to visit DC for good hotel rates than during the holidays. Since no one is from here the town empties out. In addition to dirt cheap hotels, it’s a great chance to hit attractions and restaurants that are usually packed.

Good choice on the property. It has had work done recently and is a nice one. The West End location (ahem, see below) is great in my opinion in that it’s actually rather quiet. Easy to get around, as you note, but from DCA don’t bother with Metro - just grab a cab or Uber.

If you want to check out GU, just take a jog up to P St. and head due west; save for a little hitch at Wisconsin, it takes you right to the gates. A scenic residential walk - one that I still enjoy after years of living here.

Originally Posted by DELee
Just remember that Marriott "Georgetown" is not Georgetown.
Indeed, there aren’t many things that can make us DC area residents get defensive about our city, but calling something east of the Creek “Georgetown” might be one of them!

That being said, it looks like OP wants to see a little of everything, so should be very good for his purposes.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Indeed, there aren’t many things that can make us DC area residents get defensive about our city, but calling something east of the Creek “Georgetown” might be one of them!

That being said, it looks like OP wants to see a little of everything, so should be very good for his purposes.
If GU is indeed part of the OP's desired travels in DC, Key Bridge Marriott is fundamentally closer both to GU and to a Metro Station than Marriott "Georgetown" - which may matter more in late November. And, yes, Rosslyn station is not a Red Line station.

David
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:13 pm

If GU is indeed part of the OP's desired travels in DC, Key Bridge Marriott is fundamentally closer both to GU and to a Metro Station than Marriott "Georgetown" - which may matter more in late November. And, yes, Rosslyn station is not a Red Line station.
Read the OP - they want to be more centrally located and do standard tourist stuff. I think West End is a perfectly happy medium. And besides, the Key Bridge Marriott is just sad.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:31 pm

Read the OP - they want to be more centrally located and do standard tourist stuff. I think West End is a perfectly happy medium. And besides, the Key Bridge Marriott is just sad.
Good Lord....Key Bridge is terrible. As for the "Georgetown" Marriott...first off, really nice lounge. Second, it's not that far of a walk to Georgetown. Or Dupont Circle. The Red Line to Bethesda (and the Zoo!), and, for that matter, only a few blocks to Foggy Bottom, where they can catch blue/orange/silver and do all the Mall stuff.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty decent Marriott for location. I've stayed there lots and never realized it.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrich7970
Good Lord....Key Bridge is terrible. As for the "Georgetown" Marriott...first off, really nice lounge. Second, it's not that far of a walk to Georgetown. Or Dupont Circle. The Red Line to Bethesda (and the Zoo!), and, for that matter, only a few blocks to Foggy Bottom, where they can catch blue/orange/silver and do all the Mall stuff.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty decent Marriott for location. I've stayed there lots and never realized it.
Personally, if I were to focus on being more touristy in DC, I'd stay closer to a central metro stop or near the Mall. I think some of the prior suggestions WRT Marquis or the Renaissance are more on target given the proximity to both Gallery Place/Chinatown Station as well as many interesting food places. Or, if Hilton was an option, the Hilton WDC National Mall (former L'Enfant Plaza Hotel) atop that station. Or the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill near Union Station.

The primary issue I have with Marriott "Georgetown" is the distance to anything (Metro, touristy, interesting food). Perhaps if you wanted to roam the West End and Rock Creek - and maybe make up your own plot twists to "The Americans". I personally don't think that its CL makes up for that.

And, yes, Key Bridge isn't the greatest but it provides a fairly straight shot into Georgetown proper without having to pay the price penalty of the RC or 4Seasons.

And, just to annoy another FT regular, there's always Wardman Park near the Zoo and is also atop the Red Line - if that was of interest (tho' for a 17 year old, likely not).

David
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:52 am
pjs

Personally, if I were to focus on being more touristy in DC, I'd stay closer to a central metro stop or near the Mall. I think some of the prior suggestions WRT Marquis or the Renaissance are more on target given the proximity to both Gallery Place/Chinatown Station as well as many interesting food places. Or, if Hilton was an option, the Hilton WDC National Mall (former L'Enfant Plaza Hotel) atop that station. Or the Hyatt Regency Capitol Hill near Union Station.

The primary issue I have with Marriott "Georgetown" is the distance to anything (Metro, touristy, interesting food). Perhaps if you wanted to roam the West End and Rock Creek - and maybe make up your own plot twists to "The Americans". I personally don't think that its CL makes up for that.

And, yes, Key Bridge isn't the greatest but it provides a fairly straight shot into Georgetown proper without having to pay the price penalty of the RC or 4Seasons.

And, just to annoy another FT regular, there's always Wardman Park near the Zoo and is also atop the Red Line - if that was of interest (tho' for a 17 year old, likely not).

David
Thanks all. I know the area well enough to know that the Marriott is Georgetown in name only. I've got a month to figure it out so I may switch to a different property, but we'll be having dinner with family and/or friends in MD Sunday and Monday night so proximity to dining is not that big of an issue. Isn't Key Bridge one of the (if not, the) oldest Marriotts? It always looks pretty bad from the outside every time I see it. Appreciate all the help and advice.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjs
Thanks all. I know the area well enough to know that the Marriott is Georgetown in name only. I've got a month to figure it out so I may switch to a different property, but we'll be having dinner with family and/or friends in MD Sunday and Monday night so proximity to dining is not that big of an issue. Isn't Key Bridge one of the (if not, the) oldest Marriotts? It always looks pretty bad from the outside every time I see it. Appreciate all the help and advice.
Yes, Key Bridge is the oldest Marriott (and the second hotel that Marriott built). It is not the most attractive but it is not the worst amongst the DC area Marriotts. Its primary benefit is its proximity and access to the rest of Arlington as well as Georgetown.

Another option if you're focused on the Red Line is the Bethesda North Marriott - you'll be in Maryland if that helps in terms of access for your friends and family and it is across the street from the White Flint Station. A bit newer than Key Bridge for sure.

Enjoy your time in the DC area with your daughter and let us know how it goes.

David
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yes, Key Bridge is the oldest Marriott (and the second hotel that Marriott built). It is not the most attractive but it is not the worst amongst the DC area Marriotts. Its primary benefit is its proximity and access to the rest of Arlington as well as Georgetown.

Another option if you're focused on the Red Line is the Bethesda North Marriott - you'll be in Maryland if that helps in terms of access for your friends and family and it is across the street from the White Flint Station. A bit newer than Key Bridge for sure.

Enjoy your time in the DC area with your daughter and let us know how it goes.

David
Agree, Key Bridge is an older property however it's up to what one would expect for a standard Marriott hotel refurbished within the last decade and a half. My only real complaint about the Key Bridge hotel is that your room can be a loooong walk from the lobby depending on where it is located in the building. Stayed here earlier this year and I didn't have any complaints about the room or the common areas themselves, though it was a solid 5-7 minute walk and elevator ride from my room to the lobby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.