Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Flexible rates that aren't flexible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:46 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC

I was about to book a stay at the Renaissance Haikou for June. Single night and I need it to be flexible. But when looking at the rate details, all of their "Flexible" rates take payment a day after booking (even though we're still months out from travel) and can't be cancelled after that payment is taken. In essence, it seems that their "Flexible" rates are really non-cancellable prepay rates.

Is this normal? I've never seen it before.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:31 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
What exactly is flexible here? Are you reserving a one-night stay in June but you don't yet know the specific date in June? If so, then the hotel charging you a fixed amount and letting you choose the date later seems pretty flexible.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:42 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EricH
What exactly is flexible here? Are you reserving a one-night stay in June but you don't yet know the specific date in June? If so, then the hotel charging you a fixed amount and letting you choose the date later seems pretty flexible.
There's a chance I need to cancel the trip, so I want to book a room with a cancellable / refundable rate. These flexible rates seem to allow a date change (with a possible additional charge based on rate difference) but cannot be refunded if cancelled.

In my experience, Flexible rates cost more but are cancellable without cost up until very close to check-in, and "Prepay and Save" rates provide a discount with the compromise that the booking is not changeable / refundable.

I'm just surprised to see rates advertised as "Flexible" that are fully prepaid and non-refundable. Is this common?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
More common than you think.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:17 am

I agree with the OP, this is not a flexible rate.

But for example if they book the night of 18 June it's 11,500 points and they can cancel until 23.59 the day before.

It might be cheaper to buy the points with the current promotion and have proper flexibility, than to book with cash. Especially if they would lose all the money in the event of a change.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:01 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KingCanute
I agree with the OP, this is not a flexible rate.

But for example if they book the night of 18 June it's 11,500 points and they can cancel until 23.59 the day before.

It might be cheaper to buy the points with the current promotion and have proper flexibility, than to book with cash. Especially if they would lose all the money in the event of a change.
Oh... Hadn't looked at flexibility rules when booking with points! Absolutely right, the cancellation dates are much more reasonable. Thanks!
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by FlyingFilmGuy
I was about to book a stay at the Renaissance Haikou for June. Single night and I need it to be flexible. But when looking at the rate details, all of their "Flexible" rates take payment a day after booking (even though we're still months out from travel) and can't be cancelled after that payment is taken. In essence, it seems that their "Flexible" rates are really non-cancellable prepay rates.

Is this normal? I've never seen it before.
it depends.
as an example, i booked 2 rooms at 2 properties, for nights around the solar eclipse next month in texas (because the total number of days i wanted werent avalible at either of my preferred properties).

one one of the reservations I booked a flexible rate that couldnt be changed 24 hrs after booking and required pre payment. I reached out to my ambassador who contacted the hotel on my behalf. he said that despite the unusual terms, they WOULD honor the rate as flexible, all the way up to 3 days before check in. So the reality is whatever toy see on your screen might not be what you are entitled to. Reaching out to the property is always the best bet.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by stant
Reaching out to the property is always the best bet.
Yah if only Marriott didn't make it so cumbersome to find the property's email. I'm sure the majority would just move on and book somewhere else if they have to jump through hoops to get a response.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:28 am
formerly kiwi_norway
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supatight80
Yah if only Marriott didn't make it so cumbersome to find the property's email. I'm sure the majority would just move on and book somewhere else if they have to jump through hoops to get a response.
On that note, what is the best way to get a hotel's email address? I always resort to phoning the central reservations call centre, but it's 50/50 whether or not they have (or are willing to give) an email address.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by supatight80
i have well over 1000 lifetime nights under my belt, and Ive only run into this situation 1-2 times, so I wouldnt think this is a problem most see. In my example it was during one of the best solar eclipses to happen in the us for decades and one that wont happen again for decades, a once or twice in a lifetime sort of event.

it's easy to reach a property. the phone number is right there in the booking process. Call um up, confirm what is going on, ask for their email and get it in writting to cover your back side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.