Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City Polanco, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City Polanco, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
JW Marriott Mexico City [Master Thread]

I have a booking at the JW Marriott in MEX for three nights in March, over a weekend (hence exellent rates).

I am currently holding a Terrace Suite at $339 per night. However, it seems that I can book a Master Suite for just $249 per night. The website is suitably vague as to the difference between a Terrace Suite and a Master Suite - obviously one has a terrace (!) but there is no indication of whether one is bigger than the other or whether they have the same views. Basically, what I want to know is - does the Terrace Suite justify a $90 + 17% per night premium?

Any feedback from anyone who has stayed in a Master Suite or a Terrace Suite would be welcome. Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I have a booking at the JW Marriott in MEX for three nights in March, over a weekend (hence exellent rates).

I am currently holding a Terrace Suite at $339 per night. However, it seems that I can book a Master Suite for just $249 per night. The website is suitably vague as to the difference between a Terrace Suite and a Master Suite - obviously one has a terrace (!) but there is no indication of whether one is bigger than the other or whether they have the same views. Basically, what I want to know is - does the Terrace Suite justify a $90 + 17% per night premium?

Any feedback from anyone who has stayed in a Master Suite or a Terrace Suite would be welcome. Thanks!
Just a recommendation (although I know nothing about the suites there): Priceline this hotel. We paid $80 a night and were treated like gold the whole time. Sure, we had only a normal room, but it was still a nice room. At my point in life, paying $80 a night for a normal room trumps paying $250/$340 a night for a suite. You might believe differently. If so, disregard this post.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:31 pm

I was upgraded to one of the terrace suites as a PLT and found it to be a very nice suite. I cannot speak to the Master suite which I have never seen.

Dan
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Let me answer my own question, and have a little moan at the same time!

At weekends, the JWM in Mexico City sells Master Suites for $249 plus tax or Terrace Suites for $339. I took a Terrace Suite because I fancied a terrace (nice outdoor breakfast, quiet drink in the evening watching the sun go down etc).

Well, I arrived here on Friday to find .... the Terrace Suite HAS NO TERRACE! I am in the right room because it says Terrace Suite on the door. Off I go to reception, who tell me that calling it a Terrace Suite is simply a marketing term!!! No suites in the hotel have a terrace.

The Master Suite, it turns out, is what we would know as a junior suite. The bottom line is that is only a bit smaller than the ´doesnt have a terrace´Terrace Suite, despite the $90 per night plus tax price differential.

Anyway, the hotel eventually agreed that I may, possibly, somehow, have a case and reduced the rate on my Terrace Suite to the Master Suite rate of $249 per night. So I am happy again.

More generally, I am a little surprised about the rave reviews this hotel gets on tripadvisor and the CN Gold List. What IS exceptional is the quality of staff, who have been unfailingly kind and helpful over the last three days. However, much of the hard product leaves a lot to be desired.

I expect to find the following items in a suite of a five star hotel :

Two sinks
A door to the toilet (and usually a second toilet in a separate room)
A separate bath and shower cubicle - not a shower above a bath
Brand name toiletries
Fully working lights
Toothbrush and shaving cream among the toiletries
Flowers or fresh fruit in my room

NONE of these are in the suites at the JWM. I was also surprised to find one of the blinds in my room broken so it would not open (still not fixed by day 3) and to have the instructions to the safe made available (so you dont find that the safe is using the combination of the PREVIOUS guest!!).

The only bits of hardware that are truly world class are the flowers in the communal areas, the decoration of the corridors and the quality of the changing rooms in the gym. Sadly the rest of this property, quality of staff aside, is simply a four star at best.

If only the Four Seasons would move to Polanco then life would be easier!

Last edited by Raffles; Mar 14, 2006 at 7:19 pm
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:22 pm

Well, I arrived here on Friday to find .... the Terrace Suite HAS NO TERRACE! I am in the right room because it says Terrace Suite on the door. Off I go to reception, who tell me that calling it a Terrace Suite is simply a marketing term!!! No suites in the hotel have a terrace.

The Master Suite, it turns out, is what we would know as a junior suite. The bottom line is that is only a bit smaller than the ´doesnt have a terrace´Terrace Suite, despite the $90 per night plus tax price differential.
More generally, I am a little surprised about the rave reviews this hotel gets on tripadvisor and the CN Gold List. What IS exceptional is the quality of staff, who have been unfailingly kind and helpful over the last three days. However, much of the hard product leaves a lot to be desired.

I was there recently and I believe the level of suites went something like this:

Master Suite
Junior Suite
Terrace Suite
Executive Suite
Presidential Suite

This list is posted at the front desk and you can ask for a detailed explanation as to what the differences are. As for the "regular" rooms, there are larger corner rooms that have a great view of the National Auditorium and Campo Marte which are probably just as good as some of the suites.

I agree with you that the huge floral arrangements in the lobby are wonderful. The entire staff was consistently excellent during all of my visits and I think it is definitely one of the best JWM in terms of service. One time I left my wallet in the taxi when I arrived at the hotel and I didn't discover it until I checked in at the front desk. Luckily I had the taxi receipt with me, and the bellman, concierge, and front desk manager all assured me that they will do everything they can to take care of it. It was found within two hours! The dedication, effort, and the level of service provided by the staff is outstanding!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:59 pm

Any recent stays?

I have a 3 night stay coming up as a Titanium.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
JW Marriott Mexico City = Renovations Would Make Hotel More Attractive

JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Andres Bello No 29 Mexico City, MX 11560

JW Marriott Mexico City = Renovations Would Make Hotel More Attractive (10 Photos)

I stayed at JW Marriott Mexico City during a mattress run in CDMX, in part because they were one of the hotels which offered PCR covid testing from the hotel itself, unlike St.Regis which required me to go to an external clinic.  So I booked a stay at JWM at the end of my trip for the convenience.  My stay ended up being ok but not great; unlike other hotels they closed the executive lounge and I received a suite upgrade but it was merely a corner room with moderately aging hardware.

Room

A couple of days before my stay the hotel informed me that they did not have many suites available because some were being renovated, but that they would put one suite aside for me ahead of time.  This was appreciated and it’s clear that for Bonvoy elites they go out of their way to ensure guests will get an upgrade.  The problem is that the suites are not that big, the junior suite is 43 sqm and I received an executive corner suite which is one category above and barely larger at 45 sqm.  

Some features were interesting for example the floor to ceiling windows separated by a stone beam a bit below waist height, and the same could be found in the bathroom which made the room very bright.  I also had nice view of Chapultepec Park in front from either the bedroom or the shower and privacy was not a problem since there was no building in front.  Other than that, the room was partially renovated, the bathroom was nice and modern but the bedroom had carpet which was not very much to my liking and some older and brittle cabinets.  

1_IMG_7293.jpeg1_IMG_7291.jpegIMG_7292.jpegIMG_7294.jpegIMG_7296.jpeg

Dining

The executive lounge was closed and they did not make much of an effort to offer a replacement unlike their competitors.  At InterContinental the lounge was open, at Hyatt Regency it was open for drinks only while hors d’oeuvres were served in the restaurant during happy hour, and at Sofitel the lounge was closed but similar to HR they served happy hour in an alternative venue.  At JWM they gave 750 points or breakfast, and since I was going to pick breakfast anyway as my welcome amenity, then the lounge closure meant I got nothing for happy hour.   Partially making up for it, I can say JWM is the hotel which provided the best welcome gift: some sweets and a 375ml bottle of Tequila.  

IMG_7297.jpeg

Breakfast was entirely a la carte with a decent menu.  The Chilaquiles dish I ordered was excellent and one of the better breakfasts I had in the city.  There was seating indoors and outdoors and I particularly enjoyed the terrace with nice cool weather outside.

IMG_7301.jpeg

IMG_7300.jpegIMG_7299.jpgIMG_7298.jpeg

Service

Service was very good during my stay, but also before the stay including the arrangements for the covid test which ended up being smooth, and ensuring I would get a suite for the stay.  

Wifi

Wifi worked well with speeds of 45 Mbps.

Overall

Overall JWM is not very cheap and for that price it had more aging hardware than other hotels I stayed during my trip.  I am not sure I would rush to come back in the unrenovated version of the rooms and even then, I suspect suite upgrades will always be barely more spacious than non-suites at other hotels.  I would also need to see the lounge to have a more complete opinion about this hotel.

JW Marriott Mexico City = Renovations Would Make Hotel More Attractive

Would you like to write a review on the JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City?

No, thank you.
Yes
1999driver likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
At JWM they gave 750 points or breakfast, and since I was going to pick breakfast anyway as my welcome amenity, then the lounge closure meant I got nothing for happy hour.
Did they offer you breakfast as a welcome amenity? It's not supposed to be a welcome amenity option at JW except at resorts. Per T&C, the only way to get a free breakfast at a non-resort JW is if the lounge is closed.

Originally Posted by escape4
I suspect suite upgrades will always be barely more spacious than non-suites at other hotels. I would also need to see the lounge to have a more complete opinion about this hotel.
This hotel is very misleading with its suite descriptions. As you learned, they call a 400 sq ft corner room a "suite." When I complained (after booking and paying for a "Corner Suite") they offered me a shotgun suite, laid out like an Embassy Suites, with a completely windowless living space and claimed it was the only two room suite they had.

They also charged me $4 for a bottle of water at breakfast. And it has one of the smallest, most inadequate fitness centers I've ever seen at a major hotel. I would never return to this property.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
Did they offer you breakfast as a welcome amenity? It's not supposed to be a welcome amenity option at JW except at resorts. Per T&C, the only way to get a free breakfast at a non-resort JW is if the lounge is closed.
They offered me breakfast or 750 points for the lounge being closed, rather than as a welcome amenity. I guess I should know the rules, but I did not even remember that we are not supposed to get free breakfast at JWM non-resorts! From memory in the last 12 months I have had breakfast at other city JWMs I have stayed besides CDMX:
- Vancouver: I received free breakfast in the room, the lounge was closed so that's probably the reason
- Bangkok: the lounge was open for happy hour, I don't recall perhaps it was not open during the morning? Anyway I had breakfast in the restaurant for sure.
- Istanbul: the hotel has no lounge, but I received breakfast anyway. I don't think breakfast was included in my room rate.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:00 pm

Any recent stays and can comment on the lounge and/or breakfast offerings? I see 4 hotels in a row near the client's Polanco office. Normally stay at the Sheraton or Marriott Reforma but it has been awhile.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by myperks
Any recent stays and can comment on the lounge and/or breakfast offerings? I see 4 hotels in a row near the client's Polanco office. Normally stay at the Sheraton or Marriott Reforma but it has been awhile.
Anyone stay here recently? Wondering if the lounge is still closed and breakfast in restaurant? How are the renovated rooms? Thanks in advance
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
Anyone stay here recently? Wondering if the lounge is still closed and breakfast in restaurant? How are the renovated rooms? Thanks in advance
I emailed the hotel and the reply was that the lounge is still closed but there is some sort of temp lounge either next to or in a part of the restaurant.

I have zero clue if the lounge will reopen when I head to MEX come January, but regardless I cancelled my reservation and booked at the Hyatt where the lounge is open.

Last edited by kmersh; Nov 2, 2022 at 7:06 pm
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:56 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
The JW in Polanco is a fantastic property with a beautiful renovation that I would highly recommend. Despite the lounge being closed, the hotel is offering strong replacements for both dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant for Elite guests. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • I was initially upgraded in app to an Executive Larger Suite (appeared to be one on the pyramid at the top of the building) several days prior but was moved to a Junior Suite directly facing the park at check-in (oh, well, it was still an upgrade)
  • All rooms (I asked) have been beautifully remodeled with a modern, though slightly generic, look
  • The Junior Suite was on the park-facing bridge that spans the 19th, 20th, and 21st floors - guess I was floating - and is really just a large room, but it worked well for me
  • View towards the park and the large Mexican flag was beautiful
  • Love the continuation of the outside stucco on the inside window frame
  • Bed was fantastic - super plush mattress, plush and thick covers, plush, yet not too thick, pillows
  • Bathroom had a separate tub and a large shower with fantastic pressure - despite the half-glass, you could still get some steam by closing the bathroom door
  • Nice desk space
  • Lots of accessible outlets
  • Internet TV OS
  • Executive Lounge is under renovation, but Elites get:
    • A full dinner buffet from 5 to 9 PM in the lounge - lots of choices, but I just had dessert (both were really good)
    • 750 points OR the full breakfast buffet in the restaurant that had delicious hashbrowns, chilaquilles, really yummy hot chocolate, made-to-order omelets, and one of the best made-to-order waffles I've ever had
  • The two non-modernized elevators are Otis touch-sensitive - these are an amazing relic of the past that I absolutely loved riding) - the modernized elevator is Schindler and less fun than the touch-sensitive ones
  • Towels were quite large and soft
  • No issue with 4 PM late checkout
  • The hotel uses a very valid 19.8 exchange rate for USD-MXN
Cons:
  • The couch would have been more comfortable if it had arms to facilitate laying down or leaning pillows against
  • The Wi-Fi was finnicky and really seemed to dislike my iOS device (it worked better on my Chrome OS device)
Overall, I would highly recommend the JW in Polanco.

Photos:

DELee, DCFlyer0306, kmersh and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
The JW in Polanco is a fantastic property with a beautiful renovation that I would highly recommend. Despite the lounge being closed, the hotel is offering strong replacements for both dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant for Elite guests. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • I was initially upgraded in app to an Executive Larger Suite (appeared to be one on the pyramid at the top of the building) several days prior but was moved to a Junior Suite directly facing the park at check-in (oh, well, it was still an upgrade)
  • All rooms (I asked) have been beautifully remodeled with a modern, though slightly generic, look
  • The Junior Suite was on the park-facing bridge that spans the 19th, 20th, and 21st floors - guess I was floating - and is really just a large room, but it worked well for me
  • View towards the park and the large Mexican flag was beautiful
  • Love the continuation of the outside stucco on the inside window frame
  • Bed was fantastic - super plush mattress, plush and thick covers, plush, yet not too thick, pillows
  • Bathroom had a separate tub and a large shower with fantastic pressure - despite the half-glass, you could still get some steam by closing the bathroom door
  • Nice desk space
  • Lots of accessible outlets
  • Internet TV OS
  • Executive Lounge is under renovation, but Elites get:
    • A full dinner buffet from 5 to 9 PM in the lounge - lots of choices, but I just had dessert (both were really good)
    • 750 points OR the full breakfast buffet in the restaurant that had delicious hashbrowns, chilaquilles, really yummy hot chocolate, made-to-order omelets, and one of the best made-to-order waffles I've ever had
  • The two non-modernized elevators are Otis touch-sensitive - these are an amazing relic of the past that I absolutely loved riding) - the modernized elevator is Schindler and less fun than the touch-sensitive ones
  • Towels were quite large and soft
  • No issue with 4 PM late checkout
  • The hotel uses a very valid 19.8 exchange rate for USD-MXN
Cons:
  • The couch would have been more comfortable if it had arms to facilitate laying down or leaning pillows against
  • The Wi-Fi was finnicky and really seemed to dislike my iOS device (it worked better on my Chrome OS device)
Overall, I would highly recommend the JW in Polanco.

Photos:

​​​​​​Was the hot tub open?

I have stayed at this property and the view from the Executive Lounge was one of the best views from any Executive Lounge that I have ever visited.

I have not been back since 2018, but it sounds like the hotel has offered a decent replacement for the Executive Lounge.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by kmersh
​​​​​​Was the hot tub open?

I have stayed at this property and the view from the Executive Lounge was one of the best views from any Executive Lounge that I have ever visited.

I have not been back since 2018, but it sounds like the hotel has offered a decent replacement for the Executive Lounge.
I don't remember seeing a hot tub, but I didn't look across the entire activity deck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.